Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 18 Sep 2007, 03:36 (Ref:2016394)   #1
richie17
Racer

Australia
Alexandra Hills
richie17 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMRS Round 7 Calder Park 29-30 September

Looks like there is going to be more cars. link

Quote:
TWO INTEGRATING TECHNOLOGY FUTURE RACERS FOR REST OF 2007
With three races remaining in the 2007 Future Racers series, Integrating Technology Bendigo has stepped up their commitment to the category.
The Calder Park round of the championship will see a second Integrating Technology car make its series debut. The teams existing driver, Canberra's Adrian Coppin will be joined by, Tim Hardy.
More news as I get it.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 05:10 (Ref:2016420)   #2
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Intermarque Championship for the Sports/GT cars is to run it's final round for 2007. Should be a interesting field of very diverse cars. Calder always produces good racing-- certainly better than given credit for and it is so close to the city itself.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 02:31 (Ref:2020751)   #3
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
The interesting Thundersports are to appear also.The Wests and similar sophisticated sports racing cars of a type not widely seen for many years make a welcome re-appearance in the series.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 10:39 (Ref:2020874)   #4
ssracer
Rookie

ssracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver 3
The interesting Thundersports are to appear also.The Wests and similar sophisticated sports racing cars of a type not widely seen for many years make a welcome re-appearance in the series.
I canot help but think Thundersports as being 6 litre monsters big wings,
ground affects and a **** load of terminal velocity. One of us is using the name badly.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 11:03 (Ref:2020885)   #5
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Geoff Munday had his Camaro at the Calder round earlier this year
Old 24 Sep 2007, 05:57 (Ref:2021426)   #6
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssracer
I canot help but think Thundersports as being 6 litre monsters big wings,
ground affects and a **** load of terminal velocity. One of us is using the name badly.
Interesting point that one-- I am sure that it was big banger Sports Sedan type class that was envisaged when conceived-- and they of course could run here-- as Geoff Munday's Camaro did.
The direction it has taken however-- is the lightweight aero type sports racing cars. Interesting cars that have had no clear place in Australia to evolve and a very pure racing cars -- very modern re incarnation of a different era.Some good racing-- particularly in Queensland amongst this group .
I would think that the SS types have a place on AMRS program as do the above types-- and also the future racers are growing and carving an affordable racing niche. The key is always a numbers game-- and they all could be classes in their own right once the numbers are there.
Old 24 Sep 2007, 22:41 (Ref:2022172)   #7
greenracer
Racer

Australia
greenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgreenracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the class was formed to include all the old 2a sports cars and sports prototype cars which are effectively a forgotten class by cams not sports sedans.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 00:32 (Ref:2022215)   #8
champcarman
Veteran

champcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchampcarman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I might go but it is so close to Bathurst (time wise). Pity no open wheeler class running but I like the sports cars so it should be worth a look. The West and similar cars are actually cars that run in the US IMSA Lights category (check their website) and Van Diemen also build cars for the (I believe motorcycle engined) category. I think they are great little cars with almost F3 levels of performance and the what I would have liked to see instead of the poorly named "Aussie Racing Cars".
Old 25 Sep 2007, 00:57 (Ref:2022221)   #9
ozmotorsport
Rookie

ozmotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calder

Should be some good entertainment in the Australian Touring Car Challenge too!
Old 25 Sep 2007, 03:41 (Ref:2022250)   #10
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by champcarman
I might go but it is so close to Bathurst (time wise). Pity no open wheeler class running but I like the sports cars so it should be worth a look. The West and similar cars are actually cars that run in the US IMSA Lights category (check their website) and Van Diemen also build cars for the (I believe motorcycle engined) category. I think they are great little cars with almost F3 levels of performance and the what I would have liked to see instead of the poorly named "Aussie Racing Cars".
I'm told there could be as many as four Wests on the grid this weekend. A full field of these things would be great. The Panoz/Van Dieman one looks really good.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 08:07 (Ref:2022351)   #11
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
the AFL final means no flights or accommodation for us interstate people should be a good IM race with the championship coming down to the final round between the Wilson Maserati GT3 and Whitmarsh 992 GT2
Old 25 Sep 2007, 13:42 (Ref:2022615)   #12
ozmotorsport
Rookie

ozmotorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500
the AFL final means no flights or accommodation for us interstate people should be a good IM race with the championship coming down to the final round between the Wilson Maserati GT3 and Whitmarsh 992 GT2
dont agree mate, the airlines have put on some special deals as some mates booked some cheap flights today and it is a piece of cake to find accomodation in Melb. Calder is so central to everything.
Hope to see you there!

Last edited by ozmotorsport; 25 Sep 2007 at 13:47.
Old 25 Sep 2007, 14:19 (Ref:2022656)   #13
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
yeah i have been checking every hour or so, i have to organize flights around work though. I would love nothing more than to be at the track this weekend
Old 25 Sep 2007, 20:23 (Ref:2022940)   #14
MosquitoByte
Rookie

Malta
Melbourne
MosquitoByte should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS500
Personally, I'm still wondering who the mongs are who decided to put race meetings on the same weekend as the Foolsball Grand Final. Trying to cover PI & Calder on same weekend is bad enough in normal circumstances, yet alone GF weekends. History has shown this to be true.

Anyhoooo, see y'all out there.

The Black Gloved One
Old 27 Sep 2007, 07:10 (Ref:2024089)   #15
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Only a problem from Adelaide to get flights-- easy to get out of Melbourne-at least untill 5pm Saturday!
The gates are wide open and free for those that want to come out and have a look.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 07:47 (Ref:2024112)   #16
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenracer
the class was formed to include all the old 2a sports cars and sports prototype cars which are effectively a forgotten class by cams not sports sedans.

I would love to see some of the old Kaditcha's come out and race or Alan Nolan's Nola Chev. They were fantastic looking cars.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 08:11 (Ref:2024132)   #17
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was out at Calder last night for the Drifting Practice night and to say there's been some changes out in the wild west is an understatement.

- The new Race Control building is pretty much ready to go for this weekend (few little things not quite done yet) meaning that Race control and timing will share the same building and no more dragging heavy computer up the grandstand stairs for the timing team.

- Terracing of the back straight mound is progressing nicely.

- The Drag Racing Staging lanes which run from the Old Gloweave corner to the finish line has had three of the four lanes resurfaced.

- The concrete wall along the left side of the main straight will be moved to the edge of the track and then the 4th staging lane & grass area will be sealed.

- The Drag return road from Turn 1 up to the Pit lane has been resurfaced. The bottom of the back side of the Thunderdome banking has a concrete retaining wall to prevent dirt and rocks falling onto the return road and flag point 1.

- The area behind pit lane (in front of grandstand) has been resealed.

- The Auscar (original) Paddock area has been resealed.

Now I'm not talking about a cheap local council spray seal job here either but a proper thick layer of tar.

I hear a whisper of another major project but I'll keep that one for another time once the scale of the recent works has sunk in although in light of another nearby track owner not wanting to spend money unless it has a guarantee of major races things are definately looking up at Calder at the moment.

See the following link for a few pics of the works in progress.
http://www.calderpark.com.au/News/30_august_07.html

Perhaps we should arrange for Russell Boyd to give inpitlane a tour of the complex during the weekend for a more independant review of the changes.
Old 27 Sep 2007, 20:04 (Ref:2024654)   #18
MosquitoByte
Rookie

Malta
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort
I would love to see some of the old Kaditcha's come out and race or Alan Nolan's Nola Chev. They were fantastic looking cars.

mmmmm *pats the pretty Kaditcha*

The Black Gloved One
Old 29 Sep 2007, 08:52 (Ref:2025573)   #19
Uncle Cranker
Veteran

Australia
Victoria; Australia
Uncle Cranker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A good day out there today, save for the very disappointing number of IM cars.

How 24 (paid) entries then translates into 9 cars in qualifying beggars belief.

What a great series....(in the category managers imagination....)
Old 29 Sep 2007, 09:42 (Ref:2025588)   #20
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I popped out in the afternoon to have a bit of a squiz, the two races at the end of the day were quite good but I was disappointed the final race was only for Future Tourers not Thundersports as I like the Wests a lot better than the F-T's! Took a few pictures so if any are ok I'll post some up in a couple of days.
Old 29 Sep 2007, 23:16 (Ref:2026126)   #21
MosquitoByte
Rookie

Malta
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
I popped out in the afternoon to have a bit of a squiz, the two races at the end of the day were quite good but I was disappointed the final race was only for Future Tourers not Thundersports as I like the Wests a lot better than the F-T's! Took a few pictures so if any are ok I'll post some up in a couple of days.
Quite good? lol, those little buggers were like kamikazes in the last race! 3 wide into turn one every lap, centimetres seperating them. This little black duck had the yellows on a hair trigger and was amazed he didn't need them.

As for the other race, John Camm did an engine I believe in the RX3 earlier in the day, bolted home to grab the Toyota, started from rear of grid and had passed half the filed by the time he got to the Kink. Was sitting in 5th with the demise of the pole sitter when his own troubles struck. A shame on not out there to see if he repeats it today.

The biggest dissapointment though......78 entrants........simply not enough no matter what people try and tell you.

The Black Gloved One
Old 30 Sep 2007, 04:20 (Ref:2026204)   #22
User Name
Rookie

User Name should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
although in light of another nearby track owner not wanting to spend money unless it has a guarantee of major races
a little birdie told me today that that certain race track is a little light for staff at the moment, with 2 gone or going in recent times
Old 30 Sep 2007, 07:42 (Ref:2026553)   #23
blaarg
Racer

blaarg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went along today and received one hell of a wind blast.

Seeing the West racing cars in action was great, however the event as a whole wasn't very professional.

As much as I would like to involve myself in the series, I would be shooting myself in the foot if I brought an investor/sponsor to the track.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 09:08 (Ref:2026608)   #24
zxrno1
Rookie

zxrno1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went today and there was some good racing, shame it was so windy and the patches of rain.
It sounds like the whole place is getting a face lift including the pit garages and a 1.8klm track extension and complete resurface with the thunderdome to be resurfaced as well.
Some of the figures floating around were up to 9.5 million in refurbishments with a view to run V8 supercar rounds again.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 22:09 (Ref:2027360)   #25
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name
a little birdie told me today that that certain race track is a little light for staff at the moment, with 2 gone or going in recent times
two former Davo employees have moved over to work for the MRC to run the motorsport side of the complex so not really light on staff just a sideways move to the new "owners" to continue doing the same thing