Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 10 Jan 2011, 15:25 (Ref:2813762)   #76
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
and breathes competition through every pore
No, it doesn't. Have you read the press release?!

Quote:
From the tradition established by classic Porsche long-distance race cars such as the 908 long-tail coupé (1969) and the 917 short-tail coupé (1971), the Porsche designers created a link to the postmodernism of the "form follows function" philosophy.
Quote:
With the new 918 RSR racing laboratory, Porsche is now elevating this motor racing hybrid concept to an experimental level. In the 918 RSR, "Porsche Intelligent Performance" equates to research into methods for further sustainable efficiency improvement under the intensified conditions of the race track, lap times, pit stops and reliability – a metier in which Porsche has been demonstrating its success for over 60 years.
Blargh....

That's pure PR-blabla... and I think that's true for the whole car.

But it's trending on twitter, so "Misssion accomplished", I'd say.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 16:53 (Ref:2813797)   #77
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans will reserve a couple of grid slots for experimental cars.

The 918 uses technology that could potentiality be used in P1 and 2013 GTE's (if the go ahead for hybrids is given).
Old 10 Jan 2011, 17:04 (Ref:2813801)   #78
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
As a Porsche fan, I do like the car quite a bit. Having said that, this is a PR stunt for now, as I find it interesting to debut a race car, but not mention once where they plan on racing.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2813817)   #79
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
Then why the hate?
Because he's a Ferrari fanboy?
Old 10 Jan 2011, 17:53 (Ref:2813820)   #80
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Sincerely and with all due respect for all the comments, do not understand why they are so many people against the 918 taking part in competition.
It seems clear that this car is a laboratory for a future entry of Porsche in the LMP 1 category.
This car is fabulous , and breathes competition through every pore, let the crap, enjoy the car as it is and not whether it conforms to the rules.
Because they hate change?
Old 10 Jan 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2813821)   #81
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great, Porsche rocks the boat... with a car we already know for several months... C'mon guys, keep calm and let's not cross that bridge until we come to it... by now it's quite simply a great looking car, isn't it?

Old 10 Jan 2011, 17:56 (Ref:2813824)   #82
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Because he's a Ferrari fanboy?
take a look at the front end of the 918, looks alot like a Ferrari.

DK
Old 10 Jan 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2813843)   #83
Porsche917K
Racer

United States
Napa, CA
Porsche917K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
Great, Porsche rocks the boat... with a car we already know for several months... C'mon guys, keep calm and let's not cross that bridge until we come to it... by now it's quite simply a great looking car, isn't it?

Couldn't have said it better.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 19:22 (Ref:2813867)   #84
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm fairly certain this show car doesn't have an engine installed in it.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2813877)   #85
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
I'm fairly certain this show car doesn't have an engine installed in it.
And how did the car drive on the stage in Detroit? See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7lstH1TgY#t=1m29
Old 10 Jan 2011, 20:02 (Ref:2813884)   #86
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
And how did the car drive on the stage in Detroit? See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7lstH1TgY#t=1m29
It used the electric motors that had been precharged...

really, I don't know...
Old 10 Jan 2011, 22:01 (Ref:2813932)   #87
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
take a look at the front end of the 918, looks alot like a Ferrari.

DK
Don't agree... the 918 looks like a Porsche

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW7ls...eature=channel

and reminds of the 917

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=resu77vBKm0

Old 10 Jan 2011, 22:25 (Ref:2813940)   #88
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post

I totally agree with you.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 23:03 (Ref:2813947)   #89
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
It could be on pure electric power, it could have just been rolling down a decline on the display. The engine is completely covered in this show car, and there's only the short vid of it rolling on stage and the computer generated video of it on track. All other moving shots of this car, it's being pushed by handlers. And I feel like they'd have featured the sound of the engine in that video of it rolling out if it were running. We'll have to wait get an account from someone that was at the unveil.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 02:14 (Ref:2813985)   #90
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Because they hate change?
Bingo! Web streams, hybrids, whyyyyyy? There's a series for those that don't like change . . .NASCAR. Leaded fuels, no fuel injection, you get it all folks, no tech upgrades since the 60s.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 02:39 (Ref:2813992)   #91
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I can see this racing at the Nurburgring 24hr-but maybe with the GT3R engine and hybrid system modified to suit it, well thats my 2.2c. Im not sure if it will appear at Le Mans, if they can make an LMP out of this then I'd welcome it with open arms. As far as PR goes, they''re on a winner already, the car looks fantastic, inside and out.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 03:33 (Ref:2814007)   #92
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
http://www.porsche.com/918rsr

This didn't get built, as is, without knowing where it would race in advance.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 04:16 (Ref:2814021)   #93
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The car looks fantastic and its great to see something new and exciting from Porsche. I am looking forward to seeing it on track even if it isn't built to any spec in it's current form.

While I see lots of styling cues from previous Porsches, and I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, I see a lot of the 904 in this car (which is a good thing in my opinion).
Old 11 Jan 2011, 05:27 (Ref:2814036)   #94
Catingaround
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Catingaround should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
The car looks fantastic and its great to see something new and exciting from Porsche. I am looking forward to seeing it on track even if it isn't built to any spec in it's current form.

While I see lots of styling cues from previous Porsches, and I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it, I see a lot of the 904 in this car (which is a good thing in my opinion).
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 06:18 (Ref:2814047)   #95
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Anybody else get the idea that this new "Race Lab" would be the perfect testbed for developing the hybrid powertrain for a new LMP1? I know the last LMP1 was killed off a few months ago, but perhaps it could go into a car in the future.

Also anyone think we might see this run at Sebring/Petit in the GTH category. IMSA basically just created the class so the 911 Hybrid could run at Petit. So if it's running unclassified in a class by itself, why not let it run?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2814055)   #96
GT-Driver
Rookie

Qatar
Doha-Qatar
GT-Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheese

No Ofense, Porsche is indeed a great marquee, but shame on them. They will always be nothing morte than sporty VW Beetle.

They have the engine in the wrong place mate. They should have changed the place long back.

The thing is the 911 series is the heart and mainstay of porsche but very sad it can not realise the true porsche's engineering potential (because of its odd engine placement) to offer to the publice in the form of show room cars (production cars)

Their only field available is with LeMan prototypes but these are not really "cars" as we know it.

With the same premiuim engineering from porsche the 911 would handle much better if it had the engine in the mid or front.

That is why porsche doesnt want to make a powerfull Boxter or Cayman. because it would out perform ant 911 including GT2RS.

Same could be said on the Panmera, it is powerfull already but heavy relativly due to its size and long canin. But if they make a light version of it, even would still be heavier than GT2 RS (because the wheel base is very long and huge) but would out perform it anyway.

Why is that? Because it would be more balanced and more reliable corner after corner.

So I dont reallt care what another beetle porsche make and how better it is. I'm sure if it had the engine relocated it would have been best.

Cheers,
Old 11 Jan 2011, 07:59 (Ref:2814063)   #97
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
...and what does this have to do with the 918?
Old 11 Jan 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2814066)   #98
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I cant believe the negative attitude to what is probably the start of another manufacturers entry into prototypes. It is a way of developing the technology without having to go up against their stablemate, Audi, or there own cars in GT2.

The autoweek article also refers to the start of a series of new production based race cars - so that could mean the 918 will be offered to customers for GT2 in the future instead of the 911 - maybe they finally feel they have gone as far as they can with the 911 as a race car??

To me this is an exciting start to a new chapter of Porsche at Le Mans.
Old 11 Jan 2011, 08:34 (Ref:2814077)   #99
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm with you Mal!
Old 11 Jan 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2814106)   #100
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'm still trying to work out why somebody stuck Porker badges onto their Lotus Evora with a 430 front bumper?

Yes, it's great they've built it, but I'm struggling to see what it is going to run as, or in. If it comes close to LMP pace, the ACO will have it off track and away before Porsche can get it in the garage...

It's a great exercise, but fails to light my fire, as the 911 Hybrid does. That, at least, complies to some sort of rulebook.