Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 19 May 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2882765)   #2776
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well if they can get one car to 12HRS leaving the other to run flat out from the start, then that will be a fine effort considering their teething troubles.
Old 21 May 2011, 22:05 (Ref:2883662)   #2777
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Yeah ...... a totally brilliant reason to enter a 24 hour race .

They should pull out in my opinion . Let the Robertson Ford and something else in .

Its not a place where they should be parading their efforts , on the international stage , quite yet . Dont get me wrong , I want to see it there , but only if it deserves it ..... Lets face it , at presant the Lavaggi has a better record .
Old 21 May 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2883687)   #2778
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So they shouldn't have let the MGs enter in 2001
Or the Audi R8C in 1999
Or the Peugeot 905 in 1991

Clearly none of those were ready for the race.
Old 22 May 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2883811)   #2779
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
Or the Audi R8C in 1999

No they weren't but some of them provided lots of spectacle, Still remember the Peugeot pit fire in 1991 and those fast laps of the MG's.
Who knows what Aston Martin will give us this year, maybe they could be in for a surprise.
That Peugeot and MG were clearly faster cars at that time, the Aston Martin is so far not giving any signs of being spectacularly fast at all.
Old 22 May 2011, 17:34 (Ref:2884000)   #2780
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Given Aston provided the only credible opposition to Corvette, jumped to the head of the petrol P1 field, and are now commited to supplying four customer cars, in addition to outings in the ILMC and ALMS, more than anyone they have earned respect and time to get things in order.
Old 22 May 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2884033)   #2781
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Given Aston provided the only credible opposition to Corvette, jumped to the head of the petrol P1 field, and are now commited to supplying four customer cars, in addition to outings in the ILMC and ALMS, more than anyone they have earned respect and time to get things in order.
While this is true, given the current state of manufacturer involvement in top level sports cars, there just is no time for this to happen. If you don't come ready to race with something competitive, you're going to be in an uphill battle the entire time, and if you don't make BIG improvements quickly, the program is going to get binned.

Aston is in perhaps a bit different situation than some other manufacturers given their corporate makeup is many of the same people involved in the racing program, but still, if you bring an embarrassingly bad car to the track and it's just destroyed either in performance, or by your own lack of reliability, might it be better to just not be there at all? I think that's probably the viewpoint of many automakers these days.
Old 22 May 2011, 19:46 (Ref:2884064)   #2782
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
When you say committed to supplying four customer cars, I think you mean willing to SELL four cars, provide support, for a very healthy profit margin. (IF anyone actually has the funds)

Last edited by Fogelhund; 22 May 2011 at 19:59.
Old 23 May 2011, 07:18 (Ref:2884239)   #2783
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
When you say committed to supplying four customer cars, I think you mean willing to SELL four cars, provide support, for a very healthy profit margin. (IF anyone actually has the funds)
AMR have claimed all along that they have sold five of the six cars planned already, and last I heard were in negotiations for the last one.
Old 23 May 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2884400)   #2784
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I just hope the echoing silence is because they're all smiling...
I doubt it, but I hope so.
Those who think Prodrive and AMR are separate entities? They aren't. AMR are a large industrial unit within the corner of Wildmere Industrial Estate that is owned by Prodrive... It's all the same folks.
Old 23 May 2011, 14:21 (Ref:2884493)   #2785
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
AMR have claimed all along that they have sold five of the six cars planned already, and last I heard were in negotiations for the last one.
Hard to believe considering the car's poor performance so far. Who would buy something like that before seing it run competitively at least once?

Highcroft and Honda weren't able to sell the new ARX despite a very strong outing at Sebring and AM sells five cars of a model that has yet to run at LMP2 speed at least? Ridiculous...
Old 23 May 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2884500)   #2786
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
While this is true, given the current state of manufacturer involvement in top level sports cars, there just is no time for this to happen. If you don't come ready to race with something competitive, you're going to be in an uphill battle the entire time, and if you don't make BIG improvements quickly, the program is going to get binned.

Aston is in perhaps a bit different situation than some other manufacturers given their corporate makeup is many of the same people involved in the racing program, but still, if you bring an embarrassingly bad car to the track and it's just destroyed either in performance, or by your own lack of reliability, might it be better to just not be there at all? I think that's probably the viewpoint of many automakers these days.
The viewing public has no idea how good or bad the car is, nor it's potential. It's public debut was a good six months too early, but circumstances of how the program was funded, and the commitment to appear at the test day, led to this unfortunate situation.

I have no doubt the car will ultimatelly be one of the best in the field, but only after Prodrive have put in the kind of mileage and development their other programs have had, i.e the new Mini.

Last edited by JAG; 23 May 2011 at 14:40.
Old 23 May 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2884503)   #2787
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Highcroft and Honda weren't able to sell the new ARX despite a very strong outing at Sebring and AM sells five cars of a model that has yet to run at LMP2 speed at least? Ridiculous...
It's an Aston Martin, a very limited edition one, and it has been cleverly marketed (to collectors, I assume).
Old 23 May 2011, 14:38 (Ref:2884505)   #2788
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Hard to believe considering the car's poor performance so far. Who would buy something like that before seing it run competitively at least once?

Its called pedigree .

I suspect the cars were already sold before the lay up started .

I bet if Ferrari and Toyota built 10 each P1 cars tomorrow , the Ferrari's wouldnt last long with respect to collectors ...... who wants a bloody Toyota !!!

I dont mean that lightly about Toyota , but Ferrari has more pedigree that Toyota , and thats exactly why the AMR one has sold .
Old 23 May 2011, 15:27 (Ref:2884528)   #2789
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Its called pedigree .

I suspect the cars were already sold before the lay up started .

I bet if Ferrari and Toyota built 10 each P1 cars tomorrow , the Ferrari's wouldnt last long with respect to collectors ...... who wants a bloody Toyota !!!

I dont mean that lightly about Toyota , but Ferrari has more pedigree that Toyota , and thats exactly why the AMR one has sold .
? Who in their right mind wouldn't give an arm and a leg given the chance to obtain a toyota gt-one from 99. the best looking car by far. It was also the fastest of that time.

the toyota didint lose because it was unreliable. It lost because it kept having tyre failures
Old 23 May 2011, 15:37 (Ref:2884538)   #2790
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
the toyota didint lose because it was unreliable. It lost because it kept having tyre failures
Which is also a reliability fault in the car...
Old 23 May 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2884545)   #2791
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
? Who in their right mind wouldn't give an arm and a leg given the chance to obtain a toyota gt-one from 99. the best looking car by far. It was also the fastest of that time.

The toyota didint lose because it was unreliable. It lost because it kept having tyre failures
The main tyre failure , the one that mattered most was caused by THomas Bsher and his BMW .

Im not debating that . I was pointing out that Aston Martin has more pedigree , and thats why it sells so well .

Dont start about the Toyota , as that wasnt the topic of the conversation .
Old 23 May 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2884547)   #2792
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Taylor View Post
Or the Audi R8C in 1999

Clearly you are correct ..... but they were capable of a quick lap at least , which the AMR one isnt .

905 was for new 3.5 litre rules , so was in regardless .

The MG lead the race and was quick outta the box .
Old 23 May 2011, 15:46 (Ref:2884548)   #2793
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Which is also a reliability fault in the car...
You cant blame the car for a mistake from Thomas Bsher !!!

Lots of cars have tyre issues at le Mans , maybe something to do with the grade of gravel used ?
Old 23 May 2011, 15:48 (Ref:2884551)   #2794
JAG
Veteran

England
The R8C was ten to fifteen seconds off the pace, and plagued by reliability issues.

The AMR-One's pace is unknown, it's public running has been little more than a test with a detuned engine.
Old 25 May 2011, 04:09 (Ref:2885553)   #2795
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
First rendering of the Zagato Aston that will be raced by AMR at this year's Nurburgring 24hrs.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...cer-2011-news/

The first race for the car will be this weekends race of the VLN.
Old 25 May 2011, 04:11 (Ref:2885554)   #2796
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
The R8C was ten to fifteen seconds off the pace, and plagued by reliability issues.
But it was very pretty.
Old 25 May 2011, 05:24 (Ref:2885561)   #2797
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They say beauty is with the eye of the beholder.....
Old 25 May 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2885889)   #2798
AstonGeoff
Veteran

England
Witney
AstonGeoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
First rendering of the Zagato Aston that will be raced by AMR at this year's Nurburgring 24hrs.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/News/Se...cer-2011-news/

The first race for the car will be this weekends race of the VLN.
Actually it will be raced by AML and not AMR The works Vantage V8/V12 entries at the N24 have all come from AML, starting with Rose of course.
Old 26 May 2011, 00:47 (Ref:2885942)   #2799
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstonGeoff View Post
Actually it will be raced by AML and not AMR The works Vantage V8/V12 entries at the N24 have all come from AML, starting with Rose of course.
AML? Aston Martin Lagonda?

?
Old 26 May 2011, 00:51 (Ref:2885944)   #2800
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, Aston Martin Lagonda Ltd. The road car division.