Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Jun 2014, 11:58 (Ref:3421935)   #4401
JoestForEver
Veteran

United Kingdom
New York
JoestForEver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They need to abandon the V4 concept for a inline 4. Even from the onboard camera, the vibration is just unacceptable. Cannot imagine how drivers bear with it for 22 hours.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 12:00 (Ref:3421938)   #4402
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoestForEver View Post
They need to abandon the V4 concept for a inline 4. Even from the onboard camera, the vibration is just unacceptable. Cannot imagine how drivers bear with it for 22 hours.
I was quite shocked at the side-by-side with Audi and Toyota, that doesn't seem all too pleasant. Won't help with keeping critical components in place either.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 12:10 (Ref:3421947)   #4403
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did they say the vibration was due to the engine? I thought it was a suspension issue. The 20 car didn't have the vibrations.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 12:31 (Ref:3421970)   #4404
Rookie

500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
I really hope they are working on next years car. They aren't going anywhere with this one.
Far too negative IMO. This has been a solid effort. There were in the mix for most of the 24 hours. Another year of development will make a big difference. Certainly some things will change for next year's car, but to say they aren't going anywhere with this car is wide of the mark.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 12:54 (Ref:3421992)   #4405
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like they are readying the #14 Porsche for the finish.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 12:58 (Ref:3421999)   #4406
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
#14 Porsche out on the track.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 13:08 (Ref:3422011)   #4407
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We'll do it next year...
Old 15 Jun 2014, 13:11 (Ref:3422013)   #4408
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Commiserations to Porsche. A great effort and good to see them back at Le Mans.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 13:48 (Ref:3422040)   #4409
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 500 View Post
Far too negative IMO. This has been a solid effort. There were in the mix for most of the 24 hours. Another year of development will make a big difference. Certainly some things will change for next year's car, but to say they aren't going anywhere with this car is wide of the mark.
Well...let's see: The car was not fast enough over one lap to get pole. It's race pace was slower that Audi and Toyota . It had gearbox,boost, and suspension issues. It is unable to manage it's tires as well as its direct competitors.
I'm not a "rose colored glasses" type guy.
I feel for them, but I'd really like to see them truly competitive.
I would have preferred that they were the car to beat, and then not have the luck to go all the way (like Toyota), than to see them limp around for hours relying on other's mistakes and unfortunate incidents to make up positions.
It was an acceptable start. Not good. Just "acceptable". Next year needs to be much,much better.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 15:26 (Ref:3422067)   #4410
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Well...let's see: The car was not fast enough over one lap to get pole. It's race pace was slower that Audi and Toyota . It had gearbox,boost, and suspension issues. It is unable to manage it's tires as well as its direct competitors.
I'm not a "rose colored glasses" type guy.
I feel for them, but I'd really like to see them truly competitive.
I would have preferred that they were the car to beat, and then not have the luck to go all the way (like Toyota), than to see them limp around for hours relying on other's mistakes and unfortunate incidents to make up positions.
It was an acceptable start. Not good. Just "acceptable". Next year needs to be much,much better.
Sorry but as a PORSCHE fan "like you", i have to reply to tour post:

First of all, almost anyone believe that Porsche could go to the end, and they did. Second, after an absence of 16 years from the P1 ranks what they achieve (fighting for the win in the 21h of the race) was very good to watch. Third, the experience they gain in this year will be the basis for a brand new 919 much better prepared for 2015. The level of technology they bring is more advanced then Audi and Toyota and that bring risks (nº 20 car). Finnaly, i´m very proud of them, they show that racing is in their blood and for 2015 they will absolutely fight for he win, this year was a learning year.

CONGRATULATIONS to all Porsche members for their effort in this year @ Le Mans.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 15:33 (Ref:3422073)   #4411
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Porsche should be very proud of what they accomplished. Lasting 22 hours in their first go is very impressive, better than what Toyota managed.

Next year is going to be so much fun!
Old 15 Jun 2014, 15:35 (Ref:3422074)   #4412
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Porsche should be very proud of what they accomplished. Lasting 22 hours in their first go is very impressive, better than what Toyota managed.

Next year is going to be so much fun!
Toyota placed 3rd, behind Audi & Audi. How is that better than what Toyota managed?
Old 15 Jun 2014, 15:43 (Ref:3422079)   #4413
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
Toyota placed 3rd, behind Audi & Audi. How is that better than what Toyota managed?
In their first year, 2012.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3422085)   #4414
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustavobamba View Post
Sorry but as a PORSCHE fan "like you", i have to reply to tour post:

First of all, almost anyone believe that Porsche could go to the end, and they did. Second, after an absence of 16 years from the P1 ranks what they achieve (fighting for the win in the 21h of the race) was very good to watch. Third, the experience they gain in this year will be the basis for a brand new 919 much better prepared for 2015. The level of technology they bring is more advanced then Audi and Toyota and that bring risks (nº 20 car). Finnaly, i´m very proud of them, they show that racing is in their blood and for 2015 they will absolutely fight for he win, this year was a learning year.

CONGRATULATIONS to all Porsche members for their effort in this year @ Le Mans.
I appreciate your " glass half full" take on their performance.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 16:11 (Ref:3422096)   #4415
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In their first year, 2012.
Ahhh, got ya. Yes, true.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 16:13 (Ref:3422098)   #4416
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
I can see where Spyderman is coming from - the debuts of Peugeot and Toyota were more spectacular in comparison, albeit for slightly different reasons. The preceding WEC races showed what Porsche could do and from a snapshot/non-fans point of view they failed to deliver. Perhaps it would have looked better if the 919s retired before their pace dropped off so everyone remembers the speed and trots out the usual "You can make a fast car <x>" response.

I think all the talk of how long the 919 has been running has brought an extra weight of expectation to go along with the return of the prodigal son. It also makes the litany of little niggles more worrying (rather than one major issue), as those should have been sorted but the engine fix presumably took up most of the time and resources. If (and only if) Porsche aren't working on a new car by now I think it would be best to optimize the 919 for next year.

But this was an first-time effort to be rightly proud of.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3422099)   #4417
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I appreciate your " glass half full" take on their performance.
I´m "half full" you are "half empty"

Next year will be Porsche time to celebrate…
Old 15 Jun 2014, 16:17 (Ref:3422100)   #4418
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the toyota debut was great, the ts030 had the pace to catch and pass the leading audi! this year the 919 was the slowest work lmp1, #20 was able to be in first positions after the night just because of long stops of #1, #2, #8 and the #7 retirement.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3422105)   #4419
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon_titanium View Post
the toyota debut was great, the ts030 had the pace to catch and pass the leading audi! this year the 919 was the slowest work lmp1, #20 was able to be in first positions after the night just because of long stops of #1, #2, #8 and the #7 retirement.
Le Mans isn't just about speed. Both Porsche did a much better job than either Toyota did in 2012.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 16:35 (Ref:3422110)   #4420
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sure, but reliability isn't porsche 919 best quality however!
Old 15 Jun 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3422112)   #4421
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
No, but it was the car's first 24 hour race. A lot needs to be improved, especially in terms of pace, but the overall performance was a solid A- in my books.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3422169)   #4422
Porsche917K
Racer

United States
Napa, CA
Porsche917K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No, but it was the car's first 24 hour race. A lot needs to be improved, especially in terms of pace, but the overall performance was a solid A- in my books.

Amen! I was more than happy with the effort and having them stay relevant for nearly the whole race. I found that much more enjoyable than what Toyota did in 2012 by having pace, but both being out relatively early (Completing 134 laps, and 82 laps respectively).
Old 15 Jun 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3422171)   #4423
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Remember how Porsche turned the first gen RS Spyder, a rather fast but fragile car, into the german tank that one the 12 hours of Sebring overall? They'll find a way even if the systems are more complicated .
Old 15 Jun 2014, 18:35 (Ref:3422179)   #4424
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Give them some time.

If building an endurance prototype and win outright was so easy Le Mans had not the magical status it has now.
Old 15 Jun 2014, 18:39 (Ref:3422184)   #4425
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Give them some time.

If building an endurance prototype and win outright was so easy Le Mans had not the magical status it has now.
You are absolutely right, Le Mans is pure magic.

But even with the most reliable car other thinks could happen… beware the mighty FERRARI menace

Toyota and Audi already sufer from that thread