Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 13 Apr 2015, 07:39 (Ref:3526912)   #5526
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Computing from the figures in the regulations, this is what the manufacturers had per lap at Silverstone:

Audi - 1.92 MJ
Toyota - 2.88 MJ
Porsche - 3.84 MJ

Formula is basically (Le Mans allocation) * (Silverstone lap length / Le Mans lap length) * 1.11.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 08:02 (Ref:3526924)   #5527
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My brother asked me if Audi and Porsche were from different categories due to the top speed difference. I told him that it was because they have more power and Le Mans aero. Then he asked me why they were running with LD... I didn't answer because he soon realised that Le Mans is THE BIG ONE...
Old 13 Apr 2015, 13:09 (Ref:3527028)   #5528
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
“It was really going smoothly, and I had a nice run at the front of the field,” Mark said after the race. Then we had a drivetrain issue. I only felt it a lap before, but I couldn’t continue. It’s a real shame because we were in a great position. We had a really good build-up to the weekend. The guys worked hard, but we didn’t get the result. We were in better shape with the tyres than we thought we would be, and that was a nice surprise. Our hybrid technology is just sensational, it puts us in a good position in both the short and long term.” - Mark Webber

http://www.markwebber.com/news/2015/...he-919-hybrid/
I always find it curious when the factory teams who have tested, tested and then tested again during the offseason end up with mechanical problems in the first race.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 13:17 (Ref:3527032)   #5529
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I agree. Most unfortunate.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 13:19 (Ref:3527034)   #5530
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BTW - Darren Cox does not believe Porsche will have the straight line advantage over Audi at Le Mans:

Nick Holland retweeted
Darren Cox@IamDarrenCox24m24 minutes ago
@nh247 question is - at LM will Porsche have that straight line advantage over Audi... I doubt it. #itsallaboutthestraightsboutthestraights
Old 13 Apr 2015, 15:52 (Ref:3527096)   #5531
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I always find it curious when the factory teams who have tested, tested and then tested again during the offseason end up with mechanical problems in the first race.
Because you can never test a real racing situation with all the stress of traffic and competition.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3527128)   #5532
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Because you can never test a real racing situation with all the stress of traffic and competition.
True, but after all their testing having a failure in the first half of a 6 hr race is a bit surprising. I shouldn't be surprised since this type of thing happens year after year, but I am! I can't recall where Porsche did all their off season testing, but I'd imagine they were pushing hard in those tests as well.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3527130)   #5533
cokata
Veteran

cokata should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Computing from the figures in the regulations, this is what the manufacturers had per lap at Silverstone:

Audi - 1.92 MJ
Toyota - 2.88 MJ
Porsche - 3.84 MJ

Formula is basically (Le Mans allocation) * (Silverstone lap length / Le Mans lap length) * 1.11.
The 1.11 multiplier is for the fuel. It's 1.55 for the ERS energy.

Audi - 2,68 MJ
Toyota - 4.02 MJ
Porsche - 5.36 MJ
Old 13 Apr 2015, 17:36 (Ref:3527131)   #5534
Giba
Racer

United Kingdom
Leeds
Giba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
BTW - Darren Cox does not believe Porsche will have the straight line advantage over Audi at Le Mans:

Nick Holland retweeted
Darren Cox@IamDarrenCox24m24 minutes ago
@nh247 question is - at LM will Porsche have that straight line advantage over Audi... I doubt it. #itsallaboutthestraightsboutthestraights
Interesting, Audi in recent years have set up a car for Le Mans that sacrifices top speed for downforce and seeing how fast the Porsche's were yesterday; it would be very surprising for the Porsche not to be faster
Old 13 Apr 2015, 18:03 (Ref:3527143)   #5535
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
True, but after all their testing having a failure in the first half of a 6 hr race is a bit surprising. I shouldn't be surprised since this type of thing happens year after year, but I am! I can't recall where Porsche did all their off season testing, but I'd imagine they were pushing hard in those tests as well.
Of course they push hard.
But it is not the same as having five cars after you pushing the pace constantly.
Also when you run alone, you always hit the smooth racing line. When it is with traffic you are constantly adjusting both direction and pace. This means more "jerks" to the steering and likely more sudden (brutal) down and up shifts.

Think about when you drive on a highway. If there is no traffic you drive smoothly with little input. When there is traffic, the inputs needed from you becomes a lot higher, both in braking/accelerating but also in changing lanes.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 18:52 (Ref:3527161)   #5536
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokata View Post
The 1.11 multiplier is for the fuel. It's 1.55 for the ERS energy.

Audi - 2,68 MJ

Toyota - 4.02 MJ

Porsche - 5.36 MJ

Can someone remind me why there is a multiplier for the other races? And why 1.55. If there was a circuit 5.5 miles or over in length it would have more energy use per lap than Le Mans.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 18:53 (Ref:3527162)   #5537
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Also, stuff just breaks. It happens. Regardless of how much you test it. That's why nothing is certain.

It's also not an issue confined to Porsche. I think we'll see another manufacturer have issues at Spa and I think we'll only see a couple of cars have clean races at Le Mans.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 19:08 (Ref:3527167)   #5538
cokata
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Can someone remind me why there is a multiplier for the other races? And why 1.55. If there was a circuit 5.5 miles or over in length it would have more energy use per lap than Le Mans.
IMO the multiplier is in place because excluding Porsche everyone else relies only on braking for energy recovery, and while Le Mans is long it has much less braking zones per km than the "normal" tracks. The fuel multiplier would be in place because at Le Mans the cars consume the least amount of fuel per km, and to keep the same bhp and/or not have excessive amount of lift and coast they get more fuel per km in the WEC rounds.
Old 13 Apr 2015, 19:14 (Ref:3527172)   #5539
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
The ERS multiplier takes into account that La Sarthe is not a "typical" track with a relatively small amount of braking in comparison to other tracks. If it wasn't there then a hybrid system that could store the full ERS allocation in one go (a la Porsche) would be at a disadvantage at the other circuits.

Edit - Beaten to it by cokata. And I was going to look so intelligent as well
Old 13 Apr 2015, 19:19 (Ref:3527174)   #5540
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks.

That's ringing a bell. Although thinking about it at Silverstone I dismissed something like that because to do that properly every circuit should have a different multiplier. However I suppose that would start being a bit messy.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 03:05 (Ref:3527825)   #5541
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Took this from facebook, a good look at Porsche's underside

Old 16 Apr 2015, 12:31 (Ref:3527917)   #5542
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Looking ahead to Spa; I seem to recall that tire-wear is quite high there. Hopefully Porsche get on top of this issue or it may be a long race.
The other issue is rain: Porsche need to improve their rain set-up.

I just cant wait!
Old 16 Apr 2015, 16:36 (Ref:3527985)   #5543
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
They were strong in the opening part of the race last year! Really thought they had a win until the last hour.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 16:52 (Ref:3527990)   #5544
cokata
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
They were strong in the opening part of the race last year! Really thought they had a win until the last hour.
The Audis were much quicker. Toyota was much closer to Porsche, than Porsche were to Audi. They had a bad opening stint, lost a lot of time for not pitting under FCY, and Fassler was held up for a whole stint by Jani.

If they had a clean run, and were pushing 100% the whole six hours they would have lapped everyone, the advantage they had in the corners and under braking was shocking.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 18:19 (Ref:3528020)   #5545
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Looking ahead to Spa; I seem to recall that tire-wear is quite high there. Hopefully Porsche get on top of this issue or it may be a long race.
The other issue is rain: Porsche need to improve their rain set-up.

I just cant wait!
Silverstone's layout puts more stress on the tires and Porsche was fine there.
Old 16 Apr 2015, 18:23 (Ref:3528022)   #5546
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artur View Post
Silverstone's layout puts more stress on the tires and Porsche was fine there.
Well, they were better than they thought they would be. Not quite the same as "fine".
Old 16 Apr 2015, 20:18 (Ref:3528057)   #5547
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokata View Post
The Audis were much quicker. Toyota was much closer to Porsche, than Porsche were to Audi. They had a bad opening stint, lost a lot of time for not pitting under FCY, and Fassler was held up for a whole stint by Jani.

If they had a clean run, and were pushing 100% the whole six hours they would have lapped everyone, the advantage they had in the corners and under braking was shocking.
Im speaking of last year's Spa 6hr race.
Old 20 Apr 2015, 14:52 (Ref:3529325)   #5548
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
From Hindy :http://www.grid1.tv/motorsport/artic...sion-continues
Old 21 Apr 2015, 08:11 (Ref:3529604)   #5549
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Porsche are currently testing. I have no idea where.

Nico Hülkenberg@NicoHulkenberg10h10 hours ago
Straight in to my other office today! Running trough the night now! @PorscheRaces #OneGoal
Old 21 Apr 2015, 08:22 (Ref:3529610)   #5550
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello, did anyone know for how many seconds Porsche hybrid boost is available in one LAP?

I think the 3:15/6 m for this yer Le Mans is way to optimistic. In the Silverstone round they use their 8 Mj for 5,6 km right! in Le Mans they will use the same 8 MJ but in 13,6 km… the improvement from last year (3:22 in qualifying) will be smaller because the energy will be used less time because Le Mans have 4 big straight´s and the hybrid boost will have to be divide for those 4 zones right????

Can anyone tell me if this is true???