Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Mar 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1546940)   #1
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
As a lottery winner I think you could easily race every weekend as well !
Old 13 Mar 2006, 10:07 (Ref:1546958)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
OK, completely off topic, but what cars would you select to cover the whole season in order to race every weekend?
Old 14 Mar 2006, 09:44 (Ref:1547795)   #3
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
The Cortina for Tin Tops and a Diva GT and/or an early Ford powered Marcos GT for sports cars, a Capri for post historic saloons, and if a lottery win is on the cards it'd be rude not to get a GT40 just becasue I can ! MIght have to get a 100E for 50's saloons and an XK for 50's sports cars, I guess I'd need a large period transporter too

well you did ask
Old 14 Mar 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1547804)   #4
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's cheating! Surely the trick is to pick just one car that could maximise the number of races you could do during the year.

If you didn't restrict yourself to Historic events, but competed in contemporary ones too, then I am bound to point out that an Historic FF1600 would be a good bet...
Old 14 Mar 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1547982)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
60's sports car 23 or Merlyn.Proper cars etc
Old 14 Mar 2006, 13:41 (Ref:1547998)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman
Surely the trick is to pick just one car that could maximise the number of races you could do during the year.
True Ian, but let's assume that we are wealthy and wish to race every weekend in a variety of say 4 historic series eg a GT series, a sports car series, saloons and single seaters. What 4 would you pick, and I haven't even included pre war?
Old 15 Mar 2006, 08:12 (Ref:1549250)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think JR is right - a 60's sportsracer can race somewhere competitively every weekend!
Old 15 Mar 2006, 14:36 (Ref:1549524)   #8
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Agreed, but a good saloon is also eligible for GT races isn't it ? might not be podium competitive against out and out sports cars though
Old 15 Mar 2006, 14:48 (Ref:1549536)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
Agreed, but a good saloon is also eligible for GT races isn't it ? might not be podium competitive against out and out sports cars though
as i have a foot in both camps here I will agree! seriously if you have a front running under 2 litre saloon or a sports racer you will be raced out by the winter!
Old 15 Mar 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1549608)   #10
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Or in financial ruin
Old 15 Mar 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1549614)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

same thing isnt it? ;-)
Old 15 Mar 2006, 18:23 (Ref:1549690)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
A kick ass first generation Camaro, what else is there to touch a well prepared one?
Old 16 Mar 2006, 07:45 (Ref:1550065)   #13
simon drabble
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
A kick ass first generation Camaro, what else is there to touch a well prepared one?
I guess they were homogolated and therefore FIA eligible. Certainly I think that you are possibly right that the 70's cars are the nextt big thing. Batmobiles are going to get very expensive for the same reason IMHO
Old 16 Mar 2006, 07:59 (Ref:1550070)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I must admit that the Batmobile would have been my saloon car choice, finances permitting. Good one's with provenance are already fetching fair sums so I reckon you are right about a further hike in values, Simon.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 08:07 (Ref:1550072)   #15
simon drabble
Veteran

without history but on the button and properly built you are looking at 60k which to put it into perspective is the same price as an Alfa GTA and tad more thana Mustang. It would be interesting to compare the value of a Batmobile against a Cologne Capri which presumably is its main competitor.
The prep shop where I picked up my Lotus Cortina look after the red and white one and were in the process of building a 70's green one. The only problem in my eyes is the running costs as ineviteably these 70's cars are going to cost more to run than 60's stuff as technology is a little more advanced
Old 16 Mar 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1550145)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
70's saloons are definitely the next big thing, we've been saying that for a few years now.

I'm not a fan of Bavarian motorwerks myself but a Fraud Crapi I have, and could live with again
Old 16 Mar 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1550452)   #17
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
I guess they were homogolated and therefore FIA eligible. Certainly I think that you are possibly right that the 70's cars are the nextt big thing. Batmobiles are going to get very expensive for the same reason IMHO
A first Gen car is a 60's car Simon launched 67 I believe. My car is a 70's job.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1550455)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Most cetainly the Camaro was homologated for ETCC.

Out of interest (and I'm not that quick) I posted the second fastest Group 1 time at Mallory Park in October. I was (IIRC) 2/100secs down on the class fastest which was set by a Camaro. Good job my clutch blew wasn't it?

On the subject of running costs Simon.

I really don't see how it is more expensive to run a 70's TC as opposed toa 60's TC.
Old 16 Mar 2006, 19:36 (Ref:1550456)   #19
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
I must admit that the Batmobile would have been my saloon car choice, finances permitting. Good one's with provenance are already fetching fair sums so I reckon you are right about a further hike in values, Simon.
Have you ever seen that video of Frank Gardener in the Big Block 2nd gen Camaro at a BTCC at Thruxton, I have the video somewhere. He just absolutely annilates the Bat Mobiles down the main straight there must be a 20 mph speed difference, awesome. In fact can I change my mind? A 2nd Gen Camaro replica of Frank's with the all Alloy Big Block (how on earth did that ever get homologated they can only have made aboout 10!).
Old 16 Mar 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1550463)   #20
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Most cetainly the Camaro was homologated for ETCC.

Out of interest (and I'm not that quick) I posted the second fastest Group 1 time at Mallory Park in October. I was (IIRC) 2/100secs down on the class fastest which was set by a Camaro. Good job my clutch blew wasn't it?

On the subject of running costs Simon.

I really don't see how it is more expensive to run a 70's TC as opposed toa 60's TC.
Peter let me tell you, Mallory park in a left hooker Camaro ain't fun especially around Gerrards and I am not surprised you were on the pace of the Camaro, I bet you any money you like it would be a different story at Thruxton, Snetterton, Donnington, Brands GP etc. Why do you think I am not a lover of Mallory and will probably give it a miss this year! . Mind you I did get a class win in my Black car there but I think everyone else fell off!
Old 16 Mar 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1550467)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Which page in FDE is that one?
Old 16 Mar 2006, 19:51 (Ref:1550471)   #22
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Whats FDE?
Old 16 Mar 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1550586)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Have you ever seen that video of Frank Gardener in the Big Block 2nd gen Camaro at a BTCC at Thruxton, I have the video somewhere. He just absolutely annilates the Bat Mobiles down the main straight there must be a 20 mph speed difference, awesome.
I'm sure that is true, Al, but for me it's about more than just being the quickest. I like Camaros, but I love Batmobiles!
Old 17 Mar 2006, 08:09 (Ref:1550844)   #24
simon drabble
Veteran

Given my love of Alfa's I would rather fancy a GTam - I know one ten tenther has one but they are sadly not competitive to Batmobiles and yank tanks etc.... I accept that the Camaro has more grunt but I would have thought the Batmobiles are more agile.
Sportsracers can keep up with GT40's on the same basis even round tracks like Spa

Re costs - I would be happy to be corrected on this, mind you I cant think which tin top ran a 70's twinkie....
Old 17 Mar 2006, 08:35 (Ref:1550859)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Whats FDE?
Famous Driver's Excuses.