Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Dec 1999, 00:39 (Ref:4986)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't he race in 4 sprint rounds, 3 in the Faulkner VS, which was built in 1995. He ran well inside the the top 15 most of the time, and he would have to be one of the more presentable young drivers out there, kudos Cam.
Old 30 Dec 1999, 00:44 (Ref:4985)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Former Australian Formula Ford and GTP champion Cameron McConville has announced he will drive in the Daytona 24hr race in Febuary.
he will partner American drivers David Murray and Lloyd Hawkins in a Porsche GT3R.
Cameron is an expert of driving Porsche cars after taking the OZ GTP title I think in 1995 or 96 in a Porsche..1999 saw him drive for the Holden Racing team in the OZ V8 supercar series but only in the endurance rounds and one sprint round..he finished 3rd in both the long distance races.
I dont know anything about the other drivers but they have a very capable team mate in Cameron .
GOOD LUCK CAM !!
Old 30 Dec 1999, 13:07 (Ref:4987)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Totally correct Mr. Crash...If my memory is correct it was painted up in 2 different liveries with the zip down the middle just like the BAR F1 cars..I had forgotten all about the couple of races he did with the Faulkner team..

just thought of the first time I met Cameron.. at least Im pretty sure it was him it was back in 1992 at the winton formula ford festival (wish they would bring it back) ..I sat there watching the race and got talking to a guy sitting next to me when I realised it was him..and I said why arent you out there racing..he smiled at me and said "because I messed up in practise and put my car into the fence so hard we carnt fix it"
I could tell by the way he was talking that he was totally dark on himself and blamed no one else for his mistake..and said that he would do everything in his power not to do it again..and I believed him until Bathurst 1993..(DJR Falcon total mess)
But since then he really has done an excellent job getting his career up and going and deserves to get his chance in top class machinery.

[This message has been edited by marcus (edited 30 December 1999).]
Old 30 Dec 1999, 13:58 (Ref:4988)   #4
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
David Murray is one of the young Porsche guns and earned a LeMans drive last year after winning the GT# championship as a privateer in a Porsche where he bested quite a few of the much larger dealership based teams. His career is probably very similar to McConville's. They should make a good team.
Old 1 Jan 2000, 10:51 (Ref:4989)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cameron also drove for Audi in the Australian Super Touring Championship in 1997, he did quite well too. He was to drive in the GT-P event at the CART race, but he had a slight mishap in the Porsche Cup race (to get to know the track) when he ran up the back of a stalled car.
Old 28 Jan 2000, 16:39 (Ref:4990)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Cameron has now announced that he will not be competeing at Daytona.
After testing the car just in the new year he returned to Australia and has now signed a full season contract to drive in the V8 supercar series in a VT commodore..
allthough Cam still wanted to do Daytona the car owner was not prepared to let him drive in 2 different series and he wanted a commitment to the ALMS for the year..but as cams future looks very bright here at home he has decided to withdraw from the event.

this is a huge shame as he was very impressive in his test and would have been a real performer..but if you get offered a full seasons contract for the first time since 1996 (I think that was his last full season of racing) you have to jump at it and he is devoted to giving whatever class he drives in 100% ..so he opted for the V8...
maybe next year Cam