Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Oct 2007, 08:00 (Ref:2032673)   #1
Patrick Fletche
Racer

Patrick Fletche has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Adrian Newey still has it.

Both the STRs and the RBRs are getting better and better as the season progresses. Presumably next year Newey will have more good people around him and more facilities to be yet more competetive.

1. Lewis Hamilton (GB) McLaren 1 min 35.908 seconds
2. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) Ferrari 1:36.044
3. Felipe Massa (Bra) Ferrari 1:36.221
4. Fernando Alonso (Spa) McLaren 1:36.576
5. David Coulthard (GB) Red Bull 1:37.619
6. Ralf Schumacher (Ger) Toyota 1:38.013
7. Mark Webber (Aus) Red Bull 1:38.153
8. Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:38.455
9. Robert Kubica (Pol) BMW Sauber 1:38.472
10. Jenson Button (GB) Honda 1:39.285
11. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Ita) Toro Rosso 1:36.862
12. Sebastian Vettel (Ger) Toro Rosso 1:36.891
Old 6 Oct 2007, 08:31 (Ref:2032693)   #2
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better late than never I guess
Old 6 Oct 2007, 08:38 (Ref:2032695)   #3
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
They're looking good. If they continue to move forward over the winter, and cure the reliability issues (which they should, with Willis on board) then they'll be looking at regular podiums in 2008. RBR that is, not STR.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 10:26 (Ref:2032746)   #4
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Incredible, hopefully they can turn it into a race result
Old 6 Oct 2007, 10:28 (Ref:2032750)   #5
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Presumably running the Renault powerplants hasn't been such a bad idea then.

Gives some hope for next year.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 10:37 (Ref:2032757)   #6
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Mark Webber ever wins a race... i will run through Federation Square in Melbourne naked..

I just can't see it happening at Red Bull..
Old 6 Oct 2007, 11:07 (Ref:2032779)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I never thought that Adrian Newey had lost it. I think the problem has been that it takes while for a lower-order team like Red Bull to get used to the very individual way he works. Having Geoff Willis around will certainly help.

The thing that has surprised me is how DC's qualifying has improved, comparing it with the old days at McLaren.

You' also have to wonder how Renault will feel today, seeing the Red Bulls so far ahead of their own cars with the same engine. There were some hints during qualifying that they may have compromised their set-up for today's dry qualifying in favour of one that will be better in the anticipated wet conditions tomorrow. I wonder if anyone else went down that road?

So far as Toro Rosso is concerned, don't underestimate Sebastian Vettel. Even though the Stewards seem to have it in for him.

Last edited by strider; 6 Oct 2007 at 11:11.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 11:36 (Ref:2032800)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglanparade
If Mark Webber ever wins a race... i will run through Federation Square in Melbourne naked..
And how old are you now?
Old 6 Oct 2007, 12:03 (Ref:2032815)   #9
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raglanparade
I'll fly to Melbourne for that...
Old 6 Oct 2007, 12:44 (Ref:2032840)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did anything suggest Newey had lost it? He was never going to put RBR straight up there. It was always going to need time.

The man is a genius and, combined with Geoff Willis and some good engines, I see good things soon. They just need one special driver now to truly complete the package and kick on.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 12:46 (Ref:2032842)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RBR have a fundamentally good package. Their reliability has been pants though, they should have had more points than they do right now.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 12:48 (Ref:2032843)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, but the car has been more or less done from scratch. The reliability appears to be getting there.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 13:33 (Ref:2032870)   #13
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't believe that Adrian Newey lost it either, what was lacking was a Patrick Head style technical director to convert is ideas into a reliable race package. He didn't really appear to have this at McLaren, and they suffered for it, and now, with Geoff Wills backing him up at RBT, the cars are gaining speed and reliablity.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 14:18 (Ref:2032905)   #14
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if there was a hiccup that was stopping Newey's design genius being shown this year it perhaps was his insistance on abandoning continual development of the RB2 in favour of the RB3, which in turn meant that when the RB3 needed to be designed, the design team and Newey were not as acclimatised as they might have been had the RB2 been developed properly. Some of those niggling issues ultimately came through into the RB3.

Theres also the fact that Williams and Renault have slowed down their development of their packages. Theres perhaps only Toyota that will try and keep the development going on their current package, even Honda are looking to next year by now. If Red Bull are diverting too much attention to getting infront of Williams then its got the potential to hurt them more than to gain. Theyre practically already guranteed to finish 2 spots higher than the team has the last few years as either Steward, Jaguar or Red Bull Racing.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 16:33 (Ref:2033027)   #15
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newey, Newey, Newey... Earlier in the year there was a comment from one of the drivers - Webber, I think - that the team was letting down the Newey design. It seems like the team have improved quite a bit too, doing consistent quality pit stops and reliabity has improved a lot too. So give them some cred too
Old 6 Oct 2007, 16:50 (Ref:2033041)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Adrian Newey, Geoff Willis, Gary Savage... you could do a lot worse...

Watch them next year will be as good if not better than BMW
Old 6 Oct 2007, 16:51 (Ref:2033044)   #17
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Adrian Newey is a genius, I have never doubted that he still has it ..That machine is beautiful looking and seems to coming into it's own. I very much look forward to next years car..
Old 6 Oct 2007, 18:48 (Ref:2033115)   #18
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
i'm not disputing the great qual result for all 4 red bull cars, but wonder if they are gambled more on a dry setting?
Old 6 Oct 2007, 18:50 (Ref:2033117)   #19
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Was Webber on a dry setup? I was under the impression he was on a wet one...
Old 6 Oct 2007, 19:34 (Ref:2033151)   #20
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newey definitely still has it and the Red Bulls will get stronger and I also think STR now they have some confidence.
One thig has interested me and seems to have been RBR downfall is this gearbox they are using. I know when most F1 cars retire the offical reason given isn't the actual reason but the gearbox seems to be the root of all evil. who would have designed that?? Would it be Newey, somone else in the ream or could even be an off the shelf design??
Old 6 Oct 2007, 20:42 (Ref:2033193)   #21
al_sami
Racer

Bahrain
London
al_sami is a back marker
Dont you remember the FW14? for the first part of 1991 had many gearbox problems, it was Williams first year of the semi auto box. The car was very fast but lacked reliability. Once they sorted it out it dominated 1992, 1993.
Old 6 Oct 2007, 23:18 (Ref:2033306)   #22
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hey, remember when people questioned Webber going to Red Bull instead of Renault?
Old 7 Oct 2007, 01:40 (Ref:2033389)   #23
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zac510
Newey, Newey, Newey... Earlier in the year there was a comment from one of the drivers - Webber, I think - that the team was letting down the Newey design. It seems like the team have improved quite a bit too, doing consistent quality pit stops and reliabity has improved a lot too. So give them some cred too
I think it was the existing design team needed to learn how to work with and around Newey. There'd also been suggestions the existing team had concentrated on the rear aero, and Newey had concentrated on the front end (supposed twin keel anyone?).
Old 7 Oct 2007, 08:06 (Ref:2033588)   #24
Patrick Fletche
Racer

Patrick Fletche has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He will be over the moon today:

1 K Raikkonen (Ferrari)
2 F Alonso (McLaren)
3 F Massa (Ferrari)
4 S Vettel (Toro Rosso)
5 J Button (Honda)
6 V Luizzi (Toro Rosso)
7 N Heidfeld (BMW Sauber) 8 D Coulthard (Red Bull)
Old 7 Oct 2007, 09:28 (Ref:2033681)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With a season behind them now, surely Red Bull could take another step going into next season.