Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

View Poll Results: Which is the WORST car to race at Le Mans in the Last 10 years?
BRM P351 LM 1 3.70%
Deborah 5 18.52%
WR Peugeot 0 0%
MIG Tako M 100 8 29.63%
Lucchini SP91 3 11.11%
Harrier LR9 Spyder 0 0%
Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 (1995) 2 7.41%
Ferrari 333 SP LM (1996) 0 0%
Mercedes CLK-GTR LM 4 14.81%
Panoz LMP07 4 14.81%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:06 (Ref:256348)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which is the WORST car to race at Le Mans in the Last 10 years?

We have a current poll runing,which is the best car to have raced at Le Mans, so now let turn the question round:-
Which is the WORST car to race at Le Mans in the Last 10 years?

I have only chossen the last 10 years as if we where to go back to 1923 there would be lots of bad cars.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:15 (Ref:256359)   #2
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Phew thank god 92 is the cut off!!!!!
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:20 (Ref:256362)   #3
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has to the Panoz. alot of hype surrounded this effort, only for it to fail big time.
The rest either did will or we where suprised when it turned up.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:23 (Ref:256367)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I voted for the Lucchini, as it was an even crappier little spyder than the......... (no, I can't bring to myself to insult it, bearing in mind the burgeoning membership of the new fan club!).

Actually, it probably should have been the MIG, a complete waste of an entry.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:24 (Ref:256368)   #5
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
.....or how about the Bellefroid Orion? (92).
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:25 (Ref:256369)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What's that Aysedasi, go on say it u mean the.........Deborah, the horry little thing they are they should all be put together and burned so that they do see the light of day again ! ! !
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:30 (Ref:256375)   #7
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re the MIG, during Pre Q it ran well with a Lambo engine in it, but for the race it turned up with a Motori Moderi ( or some such ) that was hopeless. the car flexed so much that the drivers could not change gear!!
I quite liked it and admired the effort.
We must not forget Mr Canerys power boat engined Eagle....what a monster
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:31 (Ref:256376)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
What's that Aysedasi, go on say it u mean the.........Deborah, the horry little thing they are they should all be put together and burned so that they do see the light of day again ! ! !
Well really rd! I'm ashamed of you! Actually, our Tourists know that I christened the Debora with a new name back in 92 when I first saw it - B.A.D. - the Bloody Awful Debora.

But, of course, I've grown to love it since then.......

(By the way - I don't think it's got an 'h' on the end, has it?)
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:33 (Ref:256383)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Sorry to all Aysedasi and all the Deborah fans out there, it is just my personal view and not that of the members of tentenths.com
Old 10 Apr 2002, 13:41 (Ref:256448)   #10
Big Stu
Rookie

Big Stu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about the Gillete from a few years back.... Looked a bit like a hard-top seven but it made such an impact on me I can remember little else about it!
Old 10 Apr 2002, 14:05 (Ref:256474)   #11
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the Merc the CLR from '99? The one responsible for the Guerney on the wings of the prototypes and the removal of the Mulsanne hump. Got to be a contender that one!

FG
Old 10 Apr 2002, 14:24 (Ref:256495)   #12
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
No the CLR was from '99 and you are right they did have a bit of habit of becoming plane. The cars from '98 where know as CLK-GTR LM which were both out in the first three hours with Engine problems.

I my opioin pretty bad cars, even with the might Merc behind them.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 16:55 (Ref:256597)   #13
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota GT-One?
Old 10 Apr 2002, 17:16 (Ref:256609)   #14
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Want a reminder on how bad or good they really were ?

Just found this remarkable site http://gto-racing.nexen.net/Nouveau_dossier/ it is in French but has photo's of just about every sportscar you can think of, except one, sorry Paul but it might be worth looking to see if I missed it.

SL
Old 10 Apr 2002, 18:55 (Ref:256671)   #15
Kid Prozac
Racer

Kid Prozac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Re the MIG, during Pre Q it ran well with a Lambo engine in it, but for the race it turned up with a Motori Moderi ( or some such ) that was hopeless. the car flexed so much that the drivers could not change gear!!
I quite liked it and admired the effort.
We must not forget Mr Canerys power boat engined Eagle....what a monster
i remember reading about the canary in ken wells book, said it was tuned by a company that made drag race engine(!) and lasted about as long as one of them!!

the MiG had a porsche road car gearbx i think, which wasnt up to the demands of the power available, hence the flexing.

dunno why they chnaged to Motori Modena (sponsorship?) they made he minardi f1 engines for a year i think, and had a habit of not working! same with their q scale rc engine.

does anyone have any pictures of the MiG cos the only one ive seen is of the cockpit, and i really want to see what this car looks like.

what about the norma w12, also in 1990. why anyone would want to use the life w12 f1 engine i dont kow, that barely lasted to the end of the pitlane in f1 guise, were the team mad to think it would last 24 hours!! also ken wells said that no one believed it actually existed as there was never any sign of it in the paddock until scrutineering, anyone got any pics of this one as well?
Old 10 Apr 2002, 20:01 (Ref:256719)   #16
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kid,

I have a photo of the MIG's in the garage at Le Mans, let me know your e mail and I will send it to you.

SL
Old 10 Apr 2002, 20:01 (Ref:256720)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't see the MiG, so I can't comment. The Panoz LMP-07 stands out in recent memory, though. I root for the team, but the car was an absolute distaster! A tortoise on the track, and both cars were sidlined by rain!!! It was a bad concept from day 1, the guys who designed it should have been flogged. No way a 4.0L V8 beats a detuned F1 engine, or 4.0L turbos, or a 6.0L anything!!!

Maybe if the cars had run constistently the entire race, they could have had a top 5 finish, but it certainly wasn't the case. And in sprint races, where the LMP1 shone, it was an absolute embarrasment.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 20:43 (Ref:256756)   #18
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Panoz 07 was really horrid.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 23:29 (Ref:256867)   #19
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Mig M100!
About the engine: when the car started life as the MCA Centenaire they planned to use a Lamborghini V12 engine but, apparently, Lamborghini wasn't happy with it so they went looking for an engine and made a deal with Carlo Chiti company.
I remember seeing an original "road" Centenaire, it was moving at a very slow speed, making horrible rumours....
And a picture, from Autosport, of the Mig M100 at the pre-race test days: the ride height was just incredible for a 90s sportscar....
However, after LM, they reworked the car, that contested the Vallelunga 6 Hours, the results didn't change.....
Old 11 Apr 2002, 06:11 (Ref:256968)   #20
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

I christened the Debora with a new name back in 92 when I first saw it - B.A.D. - the Bloody Awful Debora.

But, of course, I've grown to love it since then.......
Another bad comment about our favorite car, and a fullfill an entire page of Debora... without an H !
Old 11 Apr 2002, 07:58 (Ref:257007)   #21
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
The Mercedes CLR '99. No excuses from such a big organisation as Mercedes - particularly with the decision to still race after the 2 Webber flights.

And thanks to them we lost the hump and if the rumours are true may get another sodding chicane on Indianapolis. MIGs and Deboras ete at least have the very good excuse they are low budget outfits, Mercedes should know better.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 08:46 (Ref:257028)   #22
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i see ayse didn't rise to cybers "toyota gt-one" jibe...
Old 11 Apr 2002, 13:12 (Ref:257239)   #23
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kid Prozac

what about the norma w12, also in 1990. why anyone would want to use the life w12 f1 engine i dont kow, that barely lasted to the end of the pitlane in f1 guise, were the team mad to think it would last 24 hours!! also ken wells said that no one believed it actually existed as there was never any sign of it in the paddock until scrutineering, anyone got any pics of this one as well?
I've definitely seen a photo of it somewhere- it was sitting on axle stands in the team's awning in the paddock, which was pretty much the only place it ever went- from the account I've read, getting the engine to last to the end of the pitlane would have been an achievement- apparently at Le Mans they couldn't even get it to fire up........

1990 was a classic year for bad cars at LM- both the Eagle and the Norma.....!

In terms of failure rated against money spent etc, then the Merc CLR has to be a contender- with their track record, how could they have got it so wrong???

Last edited by KA; 11 Apr 2002 at 13:18.
Old 11 Apr 2002, 13:25 (Ref:257246)   #24
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Phew thank god 92 is the cut off!!!!!
I wouldn't have called your Dad's Tiga the worst car to run at Le Mans....
Old 11 Apr 2002, 14:12 (Ref:257295)   #25
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hehe thanks!!!

86 was a bit of a tough one though....

Last edited by paulzinho; 11 Apr 2002 at 14:12.