Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Feb 2012, 16:34 (Ref:3028432)   #101
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obizzz View Post
Polestar will have a fourth driver. According to the press release about the car today they're negotiating with three drivers for this position.

Flash said a young driver is on the way in too.

That makes for two more and I think we'll see a few more before the season starts.
I think its safe to say Volvo, Flash, WCR will all have 4 drivers each, then its a question of how many Brovallen can get, seeing as they are probably the least well founded team of them all, they will have to rely heavily on paydrivers. They should be able to get 2 drivers without a problem, making it a 14 car grid in worst case I reccon, then its a question on how they are gonna fill the remaining 6 cars.

Seeing as most drivers seem to make it into existing teams this season (both in TTA and STCC), it will be hard to find a 5th team for TTA. Both IPS and MAGP have gone to bigger teams, for example.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 16:37 (Ref:3028435)   #102
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I think at this point the plan has to be to run 15-16 cars this year, squash STCC in the process and then pick up drivers for the remaining cars next year.

BTW, is TTA capped at 20 cars/franchises or could they order additional cars if there was more interest?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3028464)   #103
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Woah, after the Citroën that Volvo is the second good looker. I really want to hate this series (for not using production cars), but if all the cars are this pretty I might have to start liking it
Old 20 Feb 2012, 17:59 (Ref:3028474)   #104
LeManske
Rookie

Belgium
LeManske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valker View Post
Could someone familiar with Megane Trophy and other Solution-F's tell what are the differences (if any) of TTA chassis compared to them?
It's sexy and we know it!

Damn, looks even better then that Silhouette that raced in the BTCS for the last couple of years.

Have not been following TTA posts, but any clues to what others model we can expect?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 18:31 (Ref:3028494)   #105
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
BMW M3

This Volvo looks much better as the BTCS Volvo.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 18:31 (Ref:3028495)   #106
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeManske View Post
Have not been following TTA posts, but any clues to what others model we can expect?
The M3 for WCR, no word as of yet what Flash will run, maybe a BMW there too in the worst case, but knowing Flash he probably have an ace up his sleve with a yet to be named manufacturer, one can hope anyway.

Speed-King: Its capped to 20 cars this season, they will not order any more they have said. Nothing said about 2013, but you can assume they will not increase that count until they make sure all 20 cars are filled with good drivers, i.e no grid fillers.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 19:00 (Ref:3028503)   #107
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I actually seriously hope they'll use the new F30 3-series instead of the E90 M3. Time for some new blood
Old 20 Feb 2012, 19:10 (Ref:3028509)   #108
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Would make more sense indeed. But didn't they already confirm the M3? The first photoshop image TTA released was a M3.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 19:41 (Ref:3028524)   #109
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Sure, but that doesn't have to mean anything? If you have to make new body molds anyway why waste the energy on a model on its way out
Old 20 Feb 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3028525)   #110
Obizzz
Racer

Sweden
Sweden
Obizzz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, I'm not 100% sure but I don't think official word has been any more specific than "3 series BMW"

Bram: Give me a shout if you plan to visit any of the races.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3028539)   #111
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
I am planning a casual long weekend to visit some old friends, might as well do the combo! Will let you know
Old 20 Feb 2012, 20:02 (Ref:3028540)   #112
Metzo
Racer

Germany
Berlin
Metzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Woah, after the Citroën that Volvo is the second good looker. I really want to hate this series (for not using production cars), but if all the cars are this pretty I might have to start liking it
same here
Old 9 Mar 2012, 16:34 (Ref:3037574)   #113
tbz
Racer

tbz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any TV-Deal or Internet Broadcast confirmed?
Old 10 Mar 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3037881)   #114
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
Not yet sadly.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3040832)   #115
tbz
Racer

tbz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saab is on board now.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3040845)   #116
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's a healthy signing if I ever saw one.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 10:38 (Ref:3040855)   #117
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I guess if no manufacturer is going to pay you to run their cars you won't want to then do so for free. Still, it's an odd choice.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3040857)   #118
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a great idea from Flash. Is the Volvo - Saab rivalry in Sweden quite strong? Like on a Holden - Ford in Australia level for example?
Old 14 Mar 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3040875)   #119
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saab, really? I doubt that racing Saab silhouettes will help those people who are out of a job. I mean, the marque is dead and is (sadly) unlikely to be brought back to life.

Still, Volvo, BMW, Citroen and Saab is a nice line-up for the series. Now it's STCC's turn.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 12:59 (Ref:3040908)   #120
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did not see that one coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
Saab, really? I doubt that racing Saab silhouettes will help those people who are out of a job. I mean, the marque is dead and is (sadly) unlikely to be brought back to life.

Still, Volvo, BMW, Citroen and Saab is a nice line-up for the series. Now it's STCC's turn.
I think it's a pretty smart publicity stunt. Flash will get a lot of goodwill for the "tribute2saab" and they'll benefit from all the publicity and emotions surrounding Saab at the moment.

Also it's supported by Saab Parts and the Saab dealers which isn't bad at all for neither Flash nor the dealers.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 17:43 (Ref:3041019)   #121
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Nice car. So far my favourite TTA car (have a weak spot for the 9-3 )

From a marketing point it doesn't make much sense but like awrb says, if nobody else is interested why give them free publicity.
Old 14 Mar 2012, 18:43 (Ref:3041054)   #122
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Nice car. So far my favourite TTA car (have a weak spot for the 9-3 )

From a marketing point it doesn't make much sense but like awrb says, if nobody else is interested why give them free publicity.
You're also spending the money to develop the new shape when you could have thrown an existing KIA over the car and hope for support from someone who might actually have the cash to do it. If you're promising a big news wednesday you need to deliver (TV or a new external backer of some sorts), not show you know how to spend money for a low ROI.

Also, tired of CG images by now. Let's see some photos.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 08:19 (Ref:3041333)   #123
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
You're also spending the money to develop the new shape when you could have thrown an existing KIA over the car and hope for support from someone who might actually have the cash to do it. If you're promising a big news wednesday you need to deliver (TV or a new external backer of some sorts), not show you know how to spend money for a low ROI.
Disagreed. They've got support from Saab Dealers and Saab Parts as far as I understood, and you're completely passing the fact that Saab still has a huge fanbase in Sweden. So instead of giving free publicity to a manufacturer who might not even be interested (meaning no ROI at all) its better to adopt a large community of followers and thus attention. I think it's a sensible decision.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3041404)   #124
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Disagreed. They've got support from Saab Dealers and Saab Parts as far as I understood, and you're completely passing the fact that Saab still has a huge fanbase in Sweden. So instead of giving free publicity to a manufacturer who might not even be interested (meaning no ROI at all) its better to adopt a large community of followers and thus attention. I think it's a sensible decision.
Whatever support they have is going to be microscopic, or those backers would have been present for the launch with quotes or have visibility on the car. Even Citroën at least had a sticker, and they've been mum on this issue from day one. Free or next to free publicity is always fun and by god does the Saab dealers need that right now. To be frank I'm amazed by the reception this has gotten. The car is ten years old and from a manufacturer on it's death bed. Huge fanbase? Heh. Forgive me for saying so but I cannot believe these enthusiasts would be enough to tip any scales. The keyboard warriors can rave all they want, they are not a representation of the potential audience. What this tells me is that Flash has gone knocking at all other manufacturer's doors and gotten a "Thanks, but no thanks", because if he hasn't he deserves a royal slapping. You want to make that into a positive that is up to you.
Old 15 Mar 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3041429)   #125
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wonder what kind of support the different SAAB companies associated with this TTA effort has given/will give? Probably microscopic, as you say. People not at all interested in motorsport (most of the population in Sweden) might wonder why they put the remaining funds into this project to promote a car that's old (and currently not in production) and a manufacturer who's future is very uncertain, all this while thousands of people have lost their job in all SAAB companies. The same goes if it was the STCC-SAAB. As a friend of mine (and not so into motorsport) said when he heard SAAB entering TTA; "why?)

You might also think it's a bit contradictive for the product TTA is. They say they want to attract manufacturers, but I'm not sure it gives good "vibes" by entering an old model for a manufacturer that's not really active and doesn't produce cars.

But without going into so much details and leaving the boring stuff out, personally I think SAAB in TTA is a great thing. It took STCC several years to try and get that S2000 9-3 out on the track, and they still hasn't managed to do it and I doubt they will. Flash certainly knows how to create PR value . The Volvo vs. SAAB battle will look great in promotional purpose (and hopefully on the track, too) and maybe attract new people to the tracks. Kudos to Flash Engneering for this bold move!