Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Apr 2012, 10:19 (Ref:3063553)   #1526
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Interesting to hear that Boothy was pressing the flesh on pitlane at Hamilton looking for a co-driver.... it seems the "arms race" for co-drivers is well and truely here...
Hmmm, maybe but there is no reason a driver can't drive SC's and ST's at the same time. SC's have pretty big budgets and the drivers have pretty good pay - unless you are racing for TKR...
Old 22 Apr 2012, 20:08 (Ref:3063857)   #1527
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
And by the way, to Promax et al who are continually using the picture of Andy Knights car up in flames then using the :ROTFL: icon, I recall not too long ago you all berated NZST Fan for smirking when one of the NZV8's had a bit of a bingle and bent the car a little.

I don't condone anyone getting any amusement from a driver's misfortune (although a bit of paint swapping never hurt anyone) and you guys need to understand how hypocritical it makes you look.

That would have been pretty bl**dy scary for poor Andy, and I daresay you would not be laughing about it PM if that was your boy in that car...
Old 22 Apr 2012, 21:26 (Ref:3063890)   #1528
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So are there any changes happening for the cars for round 3,
Old 22 Apr 2012, 22:25 (Ref:3063909)   #1529
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
So are there any changes happening for the cars for round 3,
I hear that the teams are to be allowed to remove the sump from the engine to allow access to the dry sump pump for some checks and/or modifications to the system to be undertaken
Old 23 Apr 2012, 00:22 (Ref:3063953)   #1530
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
And by the way, to Promax et al who are continually using the picture of Andy Knights car up in flames then using the :ROTFL: icon, I recall not too long ago you all berated NZST Fan for smirking when one of the NZV8's had a bit of a bingle and bent the car a little.

I don't condone anyone getting any amusement from a driver's misfortune (although a bit of paint swapping never hurt anyone) and you guys need to understand how hypocritical it makes you look.

That would have been pretty bl**dy scary for poor Andy, and I daresay you would not be laughing about it PM if that was your boy in that car...
Thanks for that GB, i was gunna post something along the same lines.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 00:24 (Ref:3063954)   #1531
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Man View Post
I hear that the teams are to be allowed to remove the sump from the engine to allow access to the dry sump pump for some checks and/or modifications to the system to be undertaken
It will be cool if they can stop the oil issue that they had at Ruapuna, and i have heard that some mods from an Aussie engine builder are on the cards
Old 23 Apr 2012, 05:33 (Ref:3064019)   #1532
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Hmmm, maybe but there is no reason a driver can't drive SC's and ST's at the same time. SC's have pretty big budgets and the drivers have pretty good pay - unless you are racing for TKR...
I guess that's the point. If you're paid $500k a year to race a car, why would you want to do it for free?

It's like the Bathurst co-driver situation.... except it's a scramble for the best of the best (not the best of the rest).... Will we see teams having to spend 5 or 6 figures to have a shot at winning?

Certainly an interesting conversation for a class that's set up to neutralise the advantage from spending money.
Old 23 Apr 2012, 07:48 (Ref:3064061)   #1533
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
I guess that's the point. If you're paid $500k a year to race a car, why would you want to do it for free?

It's like the Bathurst co-driver situation.... except it's a scramble for the best of the best (not the best of the rest).... Will we see teams having to spend 5 or 6 figures to have a shot at winning?

Certainly an interesting conversation for a class that's set up to neutralise the advantage from spending money.
Well there seems plenty of interest from afar to drive, especially the enduros, so maybe some drivers just like the idea of it...
Old 23 Apr 2012, 07:58 (Ref:3064067)   #1534
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's also if your paying someone $500k a year to drive your for your team,

1. Do you want to let them run the risk of getting injured driving something else?

2. Or let them drive for someone else for free when you have to pay them big money?
Old 23 Apr 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3064176)   #1535
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
2. Or let them drive for someone else for free when you have to pay them big money?
For free! Not much in motorsport is free my friend unless you happen to be a very big name (or you are repaying some favours )

Plenty of ST owners are asking $45-$60k (or thereabouts) for a co-drive in those three rounds, and getting it!
Old 23 Apr 2012, 23:26 (Ref:3064575)   #1536
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
V8 SuperTourers to recall control engines

hopefully there won't be any more damaged engines on the weekend
Old 24 Apr 2012, 00:19 (Ref:3064591)   #1537
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah.... fingers crossed
Old 24 Apr 2012, 00:35 (Ref:3064595)   #1538
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
It's fortunate that they now have a winter break to get the issues sorted, I recall that the early draft of the calendars the racing went right through.

In my (sometimes humble) opinion it was a good idea to move the most wintery races to the spring, September is a much nicer time of the year and has a fair bit more daylight too. Not sure if the original intention for any of the enduros was to drive at night although that might have been fun too
Old 24 Apr 2012, 06:43 (Ref:3064660)   #1539
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
V8 SuperTourers to recall control engines

hopefully there won't be any more damaged engines on the weekend
not weanting to sound like a stuck record, but............ real race testing (instead of a few hotlaps in clean air) would have found these issues.

poor ol' Petchy, he rushed a new car away from MSNZ, and has delivered a good chassis..................that's all
Old 24 Apr 2012, 07:08 (Ref:3064674)   #1540
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
you not into photo op testing.. with lot's of media around?
Old 24 Apr 2012, 07:32 (Ref:3064687)   #1541
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
you not into photo op testing.. with lot's of media around?
nothing wrong with a decent media day to spark enthusiasim. works for many motorsport teams/classes, but real time 'live testing' is another especially with an unproven package that 'in theory' will work.

not a snipe, but merely an honest observation. the previous classes Mr Petch has been deeply involved with ,have evolved from other exsisting classes, not a 'clean sheet' like NZST.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:22 (Ref:3064744)   #1542
Intrepid
Racer

New Zealand
Intrepid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How do you suggest "real race testing"?

Is that not what they are doing now. I think we all need to understand that in newly developed series' there will always be teething issues. Not ideal for arm chair experts, or those invested in teams/cars/drivers but to think that from R1 - Round 1 there was to be no mechanical issues at all is just silly. I sympathise with the teams, but if there is a good thing to come from this - when issues arise, you adapt to ensure they dont happen again.

Its a new class, all teams take the financial risk that things MAY and PROBABLY will go wrong in season one.

The interim fixes are in place (fingers crossed they work) for this weekend, the winter break will be a good opportunity to assess everything and come back stronger.

Making the best of a unfortunate situation would be a good platform for moving forwards.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:42 (Ref:3064748)   #1543
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
nothing wrong with a decent media day to spark enthusiasim. works for many motorsport teams/classes, but real time 'live testing' is another especially with an unproven package that 'in theory' will work.

not a snipe, but merely an honest observation. the previous classes Mr Petch has been deeply involved with ,have evolved from other exsisting classes, not a 'clean sheet' like NZST.
What testing has the MRX boys been doing? Even the all and end all of world motor racing (Supercars) had their problems in the early years. Still they blow the odd engine ect. We will see how reliable the new SC car is in it's first year. And how good the MRX car turns out to be? I hope MRX have learnt to build chassis by now. You don't want another soft old box. 10 or so wet weather rockets. What engines are they going to run again, car engines not race engines. Two lots of problems. Just an observation.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3064750)   #1544
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid View Post
How do you suggest "real race testing"?

Is that not what they are doing now. I think we all need to understand that in newly developed series' there will always be teething issues. Not ideal for arm chair experts, or those invested in teams/cars/drivers but to think that from R1 - Round 1 there was to be no mechanical issues at all is just silly. I sympathise with the teams, but if there is a good thing to come from this - when issues arise, you adapt to ensure they dont happen again.

Its a new class, all teams take the financial risk that things MAY and PROBABLY will go wrong in season one.

The interim fixes are in place (fingers crossed they work) for this weekend, the winter break will be a good opportunity to assess everything and come back stronger.

Making the best of a unfortunate situation would be a good platform for moving forwards.
I agree 100%
Old 24 Apr 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3064768)   #1545
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
race engine?
Old 24 Apr 2012, 10:25 (Ref:3064773)   #1546
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anybody criticising ANYBODY for engine reliability obviously hasn't raced anything...

Wasn't that long ago in the V8s FPR's engines were blowing up wholesale, 888 has had problems this year, HRT as well. It happens to everybody.

Like anything in hindsight its easy to say you should have done more testing, but it all costs money...
Old 24 Apr 2012, 10:29 (Ref:3064776)   #1547
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
I was not talking about the LS7. I know what that engine is thank you. Any photos of yourself PM?
Old 24 Apr 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3064778)   #1548
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Anybody criticising ANYBODY for engine reliability obviously hasn't raced anything...

Wasn't that long ago in the V8s FPR's engines were blowing up wholesale, 888 has had problems this year, HRT as well. It happens to everybody.

Like anything in hindsight its easy to say you should have done more testing, but it all costs money...
one of the selling points of this class was engine reliabilty.. claims of the engine lasting 2 seasons with out being touched, etc, etc..
Old 24 Apr 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3064779)   #1549
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
I was not talking about the LS7. I know what that engine is thank you. Any photos of yourself PM?
isn't there a drivers meet and greet in pn on friday? which st would you like me to pose next to?
Old 24 Apr 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3064783)   #1550
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
one of the selling points of this class was engine reliabilty.. claims of the engine lasting 2 seasons with out being touched, etc, etc..
Yes but you never know how your aero kit allows engine cooling until you test them in packs, and you know people are going to drive harder in a race than in any testing.

I'm surprised a crate race engine gets fuel surge, but its not the first time its happened and I am sure it won't be the last...
Closed Thread