Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 24 Apr 2012, 10:37 (Ref:3064784)   #1551
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
isn't there a drivers meet and greet in pn on friday? which st would you like me to pose next to?
My one.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 10:39 (Ref:3064785)   #1552
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
do i get a signed poster too?
Old 24 Apr 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3064787)   #1553
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Yes but you never know how your aero kit allows engine cooling until you test them in packs, and you know people are going to drive harder in a race than in any testing.
thank you, and i rest my case
Old 24 Apr 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3064788)   #1554
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
do i get a signed poster too?
I will keep an eye out for the red anorak. If you want a poster you will have to come way down the back away from where all the people are, and then I will sign it for you.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 11:34 (Ref:3064811)   #1555
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
I'm surprised a crate race engine gets fuel surge, but its not the first time its happened and I am sure it won't be the last...
I'm not sure it's a crate "race" engine, and I think the problem is oil related, not a fuel surge. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3064812)   #1556
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
which st would you like me to pose next to?
McGregor St - it's near the airport
Old 24 Apr 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3065099)   #1557
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
I will keep an eye out for the red anorak. If you want a poster you will have to come way down the back away from where all the people are, and then I will sign it for you.
umm i don't own a red anorak
Old 24 Apr 2012, 21:02 (Ref:3065149)   #1558
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
one of the selling points of this class was engine reliabilty.. claims of the engine lasting 2 seasons with out being touched, etc, etc..
Yeah, I get the overheating problem and I think that's probably one of those unfortunate details that aren't top of mind until something goes wrong... and I wouldn't expect the new NZV8 or any other new class to be teething problem free.

The oil surge problem on the other hand, I don't get. I'd assume the problem is fairly wide spread, if not universal amongst the field, yet (and feel free to correct me) it doesn't seem like the prototype had any such issues... I'd assume the prototype has/did covered many many many more miles than any, if not not the entire field have done to date... yet not a hint of the issue before round 1?

Are the "customer" cars different to the prototype in some critical area? Is it just a bizarre coincidence?

I presume the consumer guarantees act is in play for anything like this that needs to be done to the engines?

Last edited by Chappelli; 24 Apr 2012 at 21:08.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 21:56 (Ref:3065174)   #1559
Intrepid
Racer

New Zealand
Intrepid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would be fairly confident that those engines will stack up to the reliability claims ONCE the fixes are in place. I agree, the claims were made from the get go which was pretty bold to begin with, however as I mentioned, and Mixer has highlighted, even the best V8 teams this end of the globe have problems unforeseen problems. There wouldnt be one team on that grid who would have 100% hand on heart believed that there would be no engine related issues in the first two seasons. Thats like teasing a dog, and honestly believing its not going to bight your fingers off.

I don't understand why people are so critical of it, it seems some are just here to highlight the negatives without even a thought for how to move on and rectify the issue. Its a new car, new series, dont panic people! There WILL be issues that pop up, and they WILL be rectified.

Its not ideal, but is what it is. My only gripe - I just wish they were a little bit louder
Old 24 Apr 2012, 22:05 (Ref:3065180)   #1560
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone traveling between Auckland and Hamilton today? Have seen that the prototype might be turning some laps at HD's after Rob Benson has spent some time with it this week.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 23:28 (Ref:3065211)   #1561
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This issue is simply a teething problem as a few of you have mentioned before, and the truth of the matter is that, yes they did many miles in the prototype and it went well. But then of course you can't 'race' test it until you're racing, which is what has thrown up these glitches. I take my hat of to Mr Petch for being up front with the media (e.g. the speedcafe article yesterday) and saying that yes we do have a problem, but we are doing something about it.

On the other hand, the matchbox chassis of the NZV8 hasn't even seen a track in its final trim, and based of what was on show at MSNZ tent at the ITM400, they are a long way from actual testing. Taking into account that the NZV8's have said themselves that these new cars will be on track by the end of this year is laughable. And if they think that running road engines, the kiwi made gearbox, suspension, brakes, cooling systems in a so-called race car is going to work faultlessly from day one then they are raving mad.

It was about this time last year that the VE2 ST starting its testing programme in preparation for Feb 2012, and they have had to tweak the prototype quite a bit in that time, and yet there are problems that are emerging. Seems normal practice to me for a new series, but then again MSNZ clearly are not 'normal' just 'special'
Old 25 Apr 2012, 05:22 (Ref:3065243)   #1562
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well i could fix the engine problems on the ST's that would only cost each team a $1000.
The next race set all the limiters to 3000, the second race to 4000 and so on until the first engine lunches itself, each team pays a $1000 to replace the engine drop the limiters down a 1000 problem fixed.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 23:50 (Ref:3065637)   #1563
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
Well i could fix the engine problems on the ST's that would only cost each team a $1000.
The next race set all the limiters to 3000, the second race to 4000 and so on until the first engine lunches itself, each team pays a $1000 to replace the engine drop the limiters down a 1000 problem fixed.

Why you're not hounded by teams all over Australasia for your technical services, i will never know
Old 27 Apr 2012, 04:08 (Ref:3066005)   #1564
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't know wether to take that as a complement or not.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 10:42 (Ref:3066098)   #1565
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
I don't know wether to take that as a complement or not.
I'm not shore if I should take a fence or knot!
Old 28 Apr 2012, 01:56 (Ref:3066393)   #1566
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not good.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/04/28/...s-at-manfeild/

The gist I got from the Rat's comments are that the engines are fine, it's simply a case of how they're being installed by some teams... which to my mind goes against the need for additional venting and oil surge kit?
Old 28 Apr 2012, 02:25 (Ref:3066395)   #1567
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Not good.

http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/04/28/...s-at-manfeild/

The gist I got from the Rat's comments are that the engines are fine, it's simply a case of how they're being installed by some teams... which to my mind goes against the need for additional venting and oil surge kit?
i doubt very much we are getting the real story Chappelli.....it appears things have got worse from Ruapuna...
Old 28 Apr 2012, 03:02 (Ref:3066396)   #1568
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
i doubt very much we are getting the real story Chappelli.....it appears things have got worse from Ruapuna...
Wonder why there were no problems at Hampton Downs? And are all teams having problems or is it just some of them?
Old 28 Apr 2012, 04:26 (Ref:3066401)   #1569
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Not as silly as it has been made out to sound... perhaps there is an engine harmonic at a certain rev range that causes the engines to run hot... you dont know till you try...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 29 Apr 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3067148)   #1570
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why did they have to send the job overseas anyway - to save a few bucks? Surely there are competent engine builders Down Under?

Is Murray Bunn still around in NZ? He knew how to built a decent V8!
Old 29 Apr 2012, 21:32 (Ref:3067159)   #1571
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Dancer View Post
Why did they have to send the job overseas anyway - to save a few bucks? Surely there are competent engine builders Down Under?

Is Murray Bunn still around in NZ? He knew how to built a decent V8!
looking at speedcafe this morning it appears the powers that be are disagreeing on what the problem is and path to rectify....
maybe someone can load the link as its a bit beyond me..
Old 29 Apr 2012, 21:53 (Ref:3067169)   #1572
MS Fan
Rookie

New Zealand
Wellington
MS Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's the link

http://www.speedcafe.com/2012/04/30/...engine-issues/
Old 29 Apr 2012, 22:01 (Ref:3067174)   #1573
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Damaged Corkery chassis to be assessed in Christchurch

The only downside is that the chassis jigs are in Queensland, but there are some good guys in Christchurch who will be able to give us the numbers,” Barkley said.

wasn't there meant a jig country.. just in case something like this happens?
Old 29 Apr 2012, 23:40 (Ref:3067201)   #1574
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
wasn't there meant a jig country.. just in case something like this happens?
Correct. Quoting a post from last year;

Pace Innovations will supply a master Jig for the front and rear critical pick up points, that will be reside in Auckland.

In the advent of a major repair, Pace will send one of their people over to make the necessary repairs here in New Zealand.

A spare chassis, minus body panels will be kept at Pace, so that it can be quickly finished, in order to replace a complete "right off" and be sent to NZ within one week, plus 4 days shipping etc.
Old 30 Apr 2012, 02:19 (Ref:3067229)   #1575
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
thats bang on correct on_to_it.

This engine thing and the spat between Paul Ceprnich (sp?) and Mark Petch doesn't sound good. On one side you have the originator of the class, while on the other you have the builder of the class.

Hope they get it sorted so we can see these monsters at full steam again, and with all 16 drivers happy as a pig in s**t
Closed Thread