Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 29 Mar 2007, 11:46 (Ref:1879109)   #1
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Landrover Whinge

Its time for the old Jeep Cherokee to move to a new home, so I've been looking at alternatives. The Disco 3 TDV6 has grwon on me so I gave the Aylesbury dealer a call, told them how much I was willing to spend on what model (XS) and waited for them to come back to me.

In the meantime the Jeep Grand Cherokee is a possibility so, I e mailed them and got an immediate response with a baseline offer and a date for a test drive.

That was back in February. Still no reply from Landrover.

So four days ago I sent a mail to another Landrover dealer with my spec and having spotted the Pursuit, thought it would be good with a few extras which would be about the same cost as the Grand Cherokee.

Guess what. No reply. hrug:

Is it any wonder that Landrover is struggling?

Anyway my mind is now 99% made up. The Grand Cherokee would have to be seriously uncomfortable for me to think of going elsewhere.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 12:11 (Ref:1879132)   #2
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Landrover Whinge... is that a new model then?
Old 29 Mar 2007, 12:57 (Ref:1879161)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
@rse!
Old 29 Mar 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1879170)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can recommend the Grand Cherokee. I have one, which model are you going for?
Old 29 Mar 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1879182)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Overland CRD.

Actually I had to laugh at their performance figures for the V8 SRT.

0-62mph "less than five seconds"

Sadly that only tows 1.5 tonnes.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 29 Mar 2007 at 14:11.
Old 29 Mar 2007, 14:31 (Ref:1879231)   #6
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have you looked at any of the Jap stuff? Nissan Pathfinder/Toyota Landcruiser?

The Grand Cherokee is a fine vehicle though. I know someone who can sort out all the audio/security/nav bits for you...
Old 29 Mar 2007, 15:29 (Ref:1879257)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Overland CRD.(
That is the one I've got. Only had it a few weeks. It was a replacement for a Limited. The Overland is well spec'ed. When I picked it up I didn't realise that it was going to have DVD player, etc...

It tows an XJS with no problems, you have chosen well!
Old 29 Mar 2007, 17:33 (Ref:1879324)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Garc. I looked at the specs for the Jap/Korean cars but either they have pretty average general performance or they don't have the towing capacity. We use Toyota Amazons up here and rhey're ok, but don't spend too much time in them if you get sea sick!
Old 29 Mar 2007, 23:59 (Ref:1879578)   #9
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcon
The Grand Cherokee is a fine vehicle though
In a straight line maybe, corners are a whole different thing? Wallow anyone?
Old 30 Mar 2007, 00:03 (Ref:1879580)   #10
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Garc. I looked at the specs for the Jap/Korean cars but either they have pretty average general performance or they don't have the towing capacity. We use Toyota Amazons up here and rhey're ok, but don't spend too much time in them if you get sea sick!
Why dont you look at a V6 Land Cruiser or Pajero ?

The auld lad had a 92 V6 3.0 Pajero LWB for towing the car and trailer its great for towing, its what i learned to toe in. He has a 98 3.5 V6 Land Cruiser now with an automatic box and i have to say it is very comfortable to drive, danger is you nearly forget your towing!

Decent MPG about 25-30 urban and 35 to 40 ish on motorway driving.

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 30 Mar 2007, 02:38 (Ref:1879619)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The Pajero soesn't have the capacity and it costs more than the Jeep for less equipment. Same as the Toyota. The Nissan would do it but again it costs more than the Jeep and has less equipment and is slower.

Slippy the wallow is gone. These are monocoques these days so the lurch has been mostly eradicated.

The Disco has some pretty sophisticated technology but they don't seem interested in getting off their behinds and selling one to me. Although Tim's spoken to a dealer who would.
Old 30 Mar 2007, 03:03 (Ref:1879625)   #12
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
Originally Posted by rxie
Decent MPG about 25-30 urban and 35 to 40 ish on motorway driving.
Hmmm, even Mitsubishi might be impressed at you quoting those figures...
Old 30 Mar 2007, 03:24 (Ref:1879627)   #13
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Quote:
the lurch has been mostly eradicated.
Good job too, can't of helped sales...

Old 1 Apr 2007, 09:15 (Ref:1880951)   #14
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think ignoring emails is a common problem among dealers, they think people who "can't be bothered" to telephone or visit are not serious buyers.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 09:32 (Ref:1880958)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yeah,

But I phoned from Russia the first time. Bit difficult to get in there at the time.
Old 1 Apr 2007, 15:58 (Ref:1881147)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
PETE One of my customers went into our local Landrover dealers a couple of year ago to buy a new Disco. Because he looked a bit scruffy the salesman didn't think he was serious and wasn't interested in selling him one ! However he got one from another dealer, drove back to the first guy, parked on the forcourt and went in and saw the big boss man and had a few words. The dealership changed hands last year !
Old 2 Apr 2007, 10:58 (Ref:1881857)   #17
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gordon there are a million of those sort of stories. One that is popular out here (and I have a friend who claims to know the gent at the centre of it) involves an old-ish man in rough old clothes, pants held up by baling twine etc who was looking at Rolls Royces in the dealership. The salesman who approached him with instructions to discreetly run him off the premises first asked the usual questions, and found the man was actually in town for the Agricultural Society show, owned a rather large property and was just wearing his work clothes - he ended up buying a Roller with cash.
Old 2 Apr 2007, 11:15 (Ref:1881871)   #18
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
I think dealers at the premium end of the market around Wilmslow have developed some of their old prejudices. These days, if they think they're dealing with a scruffy young oik they double check the ripped jeans and scruffy tops for designer labels - just in case it's a Utd footballer who could buy their entire stock with a few weeks' wages...