Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Feb 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3025371)   #701
EZY PEEL
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, NZ in my PIMPED F150
EZY PEEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrosNZ View Post
So.. Even if engines have seals on them they can still be illegal?
Seals are put on the engines on day one when you turn up. if/when you do well enough at the end of the season they (being the tech department) break the seal and then check the enging for legal-ness.

If you have to open your engine up during the season, you have to have a Tech person present when you cut the seal (ie if you are replacing a head gasket, the tech guy will be checking that the gasket you are removing has complied, if not you loose all the previous points accumulated with that engine).

If you do an engine swap during the season, the old engine needs to stay with seals intact for checking too.
Old 13 Feb 2012, 18:53 (Ref:3025376)   #702
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoskim View Post
how does a mistake of a technical committee have anything to do with TMC. I really don't see any point in questioning Robbo's decision on throwing out the form as the signature was missing as he was only doing his job, just like the bank wouldn't accept me cashing a cheque without the other parties signature. Robbo would never act in self-interest and by questioning him shows how little you know about him and the other officials at the top level of NZ motorsport.

BackSeat Driver : I believe you to be correct about the heads on evans, unsure about bargs.
I think you missed my point - maybe I was too obscure. I don't think that Robbo would compromise his official position within MSNZ - but the issue is one of being a "good look" and beyond questioning.

My point was that MSNZ officials should not have commercial relationships with the entities with which they also have an official relationship - it is a potential conflict of interest and is not a good look and creates a situation where questions could be raised.
Old 14 Feb 2012, 00:37 (Ref:3025535)   #703
flyingduck
Veteran

flyingduck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Press Release from the NZV8 website

"In the BNT New Zealand V8s Tim Edgell bounced back from a disastrous meeting at Timaru to win two of the races and the overall round victory in his black Ford Falcon.

“My father [Randell] makes a fantastic engine,” Edgell said, and indeed his car was fast on the straights.

Fellow Aucklander Angus Fogg was happy enough to finish second overall, with a win in the reverse-grid race and two seconds, as he increased his series lead over Australian V8 Supercar driver Jason Bargwanna. These two also drove Fords.

Bargwanna was upset to receive a drive-through penalty for hitting Steve Taylor in race two. He said rookie Taylor had slowed unexpectedly in front of him.

The V8 series concludes at Taupo next month."

I have to say it is disappointing that this is all that can be written about 3 races, 2 practices, a qualifying and a top ten shoot out. Well done to Tim for winning the round but I thought some of the mid field battles were great and deserved a few words written. I can see why more and more people are looking at the show the supertourers are putting on. Will be interesting to see how many old NZV8's turn up for the Piston Cup (sorry challenge cup is a terrible name).
Old 14 Feb 2012, 00:42 (Ref:3025536)   #704
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
for JR...

out with the dinosaur and in with the coyote..
Old 14 Feb 2012, 00:53 (Ref:3025537)   #705
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingduck View Post
Press Release from the NZV8 website

"In the BNT New Zealand V8s Tim Edgell bounced back from a disastrous meeting at Timaru to win two of the races and the overall round victory in his black Ford Falcon.

“My father [Randell] makes a fantastic engine,” Edgell said, and indeed his car was fast on the straights.

Fellow Aucklander Angus Fogg was happy enough to finish second overall, with a win in the reverse-grid race and two seconds, as he increased his series lead over Australian V8 Supercar driver Jason Bargwanna. These two also drove Fords.

Bargwanna was upset to receive a drive-through penalty for hitting Steve Taylor in race two. He said rookie Taylor had slowed unexpectedly in front of him.

The V8 series concludes at Taupo next month."

I have to say it is disappointing that this is all that can be written about 3 races, 2 practices, a qualifying and a top ten shoot out. Well done to Tim for winning the round but I thought some of the mid field battles were great and deserved a few words written. I can see why more and more people are looking at the show the supertourers are putting on. Will be interesting to see how many old NZV8's turn up for the Piston Cup (sorry challenge cup is a terrible name).
agree!

surprised to see a no show from Penny this weekend? has he jumped the fence to Piston Cup or is he looking at buying a ST?
Old 14 Feb 2012, 00:59 (Ref:3025539)   #706
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Sorry about the ringing in your ears PM but now I think you get my point

That aside, there are no more ST's to buy are there?
Old 14 Feb 2012, 03:26 (Ref:3025550)   #707
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Looks like it's shaping up to be some great racing next season. Thank god they didn't *******ize the Fords.
By all accounts a great engine the Coyote
Old 14 Feb 2012, 08:26 (Ref:3025593)   #708
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I see we have hit the &160 price now. The MRX car started out as being under $200k around speedshow time and then this $150k price came out from somewhere. So now we are at the, around $160 mark and still climbing I would say? Is this price Inc or Plus GST?

You can build a car cheap but you will pay for it in the end. And will it still be a good racecar in four or five years? That's the question.
Old 14 Feb 2012, 09:07 (Ref:3025608)   #709
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
$150k is under $200k! haha
Old 14 Feb 2012, 09:28 (Ref:3025614)   #710
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
$150k is under $200k! haha
So is $199k?????????????? how about an intelligent answer
Old 14 Feb 2012, 09:55 (Ref:3025620)   #711
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
you better not click this.. otherwise you'll complain about the price going down

at the speedshow no new injected engines were confirmed and neither was the gearbox. if you bothered to actually read the press releases properly.. $150k-$160k is the price range they're aiming for. of course they won't know the real price until a full spec car is built.
Old 14 Feb 2012, 21:19 (Ref:3025904)   #712
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
you better not click this.. otherwise you'll complain about the price going down

at the speedshow no new injected engines were confirmed and neither was the gearbox. if you bothered to actually read the press releases properly.. $150k-$160k is the price range they're aiming for. of course they won't know the real price until a full spec car is built.
Cool that you can buy a race engine on the net! That's US dollars I presume?
Old 15 Feb 2012, 01:04 (Ref:3025977)   #713
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
yep, US dollars

crate engines are common you can buy one of these or even one of these online.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 04:43 (Ref:3026008)   #714
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
That had me drooling!
Old 15 Feb 2012, 08:21 (Ref:3026032)   #715
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There's a 900HP Ford 565 in there somewhere, plus Dodge are apparently now selling their 800HP V10, Viper engine no doubt.

Why don't the Seppos like DOHC though?
Old 15 Feb 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3026279)   #716
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
has Fogg driven MRX car, yet? if he has.. it would be interesting to hear his feedback on the 2 different cars after his taxi duties this weekend.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 20:28 (Ref:3026303)   #717
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
has Fogg driven MRX car, yet? if he has.. it would be interesting to hear his feedback on the 2 different cars after his taxi duties this weekend.
I would still expect the ST to come out in front. Even if the MRX chassis drives well, and Bargs seems to like it, they have only run it with the old donk and a 4-speed.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 21:34 (Ref:3026335)   #718
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
well of course the ST is the quicker car lol
Old 15 Feb 2012, 21:46 (Ref:3026344)   #719
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:

I have to be honest with you, the only information I have regarding the price od the MRX car, is from the converstaion I had with Andrew Mackenxie at the speed show.
Andrew told me that they hoped to have the new fully spec'd car completed with the new motor and box for under 200k. You are correct, that at the time they didn't know what engine they were going to use, but 160k + gst, is a differant car to $150k including gst.

Originally the MRX was going to cost close to 200k, then suddenly it dropped to 150k. I think the reason behind the sudden drop in price, was to try and curb the number of teams buying the new ST, BUT IT WAS TO LATE, most of the ST's were sold by then. Now don't get to excited, this is only my opinion, I presume we are still allowed to have an opinion?

My initial comment to you was a little tongue in cheek, but I do agree with you 100%, that I don't think anyone can put a final price on these cars, not until they are completely finished, tested and all the final alterations are complete.

Like the ST, there has been so many changes to the final car design, that have come out of the extensive testing of the prototype. The prototype is so much different from the actual ST race car, it is so much defferent that it can not be raced in the new series. It will probably become a ride day car, for all the old NZV8 fans.

Now I have a question for you Promax, how many MRX cars do you think will be sold and which teams can you see buying one?
I asked this question a couple of weeks ago and all I got was cold silence, if you NZV8 fans have so much confidence and you all write with so much passion, then lets hear what your TRUE gut feelings are.

To me the big question on everyones minds would be, do I spend my money safely and go with the ST series, or do I risk buying a MRX without knowing if this series will get off the ground and for that matter, how long will it survive.

I think the best bet for MSNZ would be to drop the MRX and start talking to the ST people.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 22:14 (Ref:3026354)   #720
EZY PEEL
Rookie

New Zealand
Auckland, NZ in my PIMPED F150
EZY PEEL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
To me the big question on everyones minds would be, do I spend my money safely and go with the ST series, or do I risk buying a MRX without knowing if this series will get off the ground and for that matter, how long will it survive.

I think the best bet for MSNZ would be to drop the MRX and start talking to the ST people.
1, There are no more Super tourers for sale so that ends that question.

2, Based on the press release I just saw 5 miniutes ago, Item 2 on your list is not/never going to happen.
Old 15 Feb 2012, 22:22 (Ref:3026357)   #721
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
umm that's like asking what will all the NZV8 teams eat for breakfast on Saturday morning at the Taupo round. of course no one knows everyone's plans.. so how can anyone answer that question. of course we're not going to know how all this pans out until after the new spec car has been tested and people start fronting up with money. who's knows.. maybe the new car will attract new competitors outside the class that want to race a spaceframe car with decent HP. it possible that some NZV8 competitors will want to stay in the class rather than get lost in the mix in the ST grid. besides, hasn't ST limited their grid.. so not everyone left in NZV8 will be able to race a ST. NZV8's same day tv coverage will still be attractive to some sponsors out there. Inky mentioned at Manfeild that the car will eligible to run in different classes such as endurance racing. chuck a different engine in it and take it to a IRC meet and run in GT1. who knows how this will turn out *shrugs*
Old 15 Feb 2012, 23:09 (Ref:3026373)   #722
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZY PEEL View Post
1, There are no more Super tourers for sale so that ends that question.

2, Based on the press release I just saw 5 miniutes ago, Item 2 on your list is not/never going to happen.
I did read from a press release that ST were going to increase the number of cars by 2 in 2013 and a further 2 in 2014. That should mop up the four top teams still running in the NZV8 series.
Others NZV8 teams can run their cars in the challenge cup series, later this season or next.

In answer to your second statement, well I see I will have to buy that crystal ball after all. ( perhaps it won't and who really cares )
Old 16 Feb 2012, 00:11 (Ref:3026387)   #723
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
sitting out 2 years in CC is an improvement? what do we actually know about this class? ummm f-all since all the focus is on the STs. the CC class should be renamed Super Tourers Development since no one likes to talk about it.
Old 16 Feb 2012, 00:34 (Ref:3026399)   #724
Rugz
Rookie

New Zealand
West Auckland
Rugz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's talk track side, was talking to a few guys at the Test day, guy was saying they(his son drives) will try and get into CC next year..... if there's room.
Old 16 Feb 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3026400)   #725
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Looks like the walls of Jerico are starting to fall.