Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: F1 2012 "style"
One driver dominating with an occasional victory for the others. 0 0%
Two drivers only sharing the spoils (1988 springs to mind here) 1 2.17%
Only drivers in the top 3 teams winning as those teams spend the most (apparently) 2 4.35%
Hell, who knows and who cares who's gonna win, it's a lottery, lets have 20 winners !! 14 30.43%
Real racing no matter what happens, with any of the options above. 29 63.04%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Jun 2012, 14:47 (Ref:3095471)   #76
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Exactly- it isn't absolutely necessary. If the cars are too fast for the circuits, bring the cars back to them.

back to basics.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 16:01 (Ref:3095532)   #77
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Rather more slowly, I would imagine.

However, NASCAR seems to do it rather well with much less aero.....

EDIT: And didn't the open wheel cars have much less aero in the sixties, for example?

I'm sorry, but thats just going backwards. Leave it as it is.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 16:38 (Ref:3095550)   #78
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I'm sorry, but thats just going backwards. Leave it as it is.
Some would say that the introduction of aero, actually prevented the development of much more useful technologies in F1. I would agree with them, but the horse as long since bolted from the stable. It's just another example of F1 and other motorsport engineers only coming up with technologies that make a racing car go faster, without ever thinking of its relevance to anything else but racing cars.
Old 20 Jun 2012, 19:19 (Ref:3095617)   #79
luke g28
Racer

luke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridluke g28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
I think it's great watching everyone scramble about trying to work out what is going on with the cars!

As Born Racer said : "Anything that can't be figured out by a ruddy computer makes things a bit better in my opinion."

To me DRS is simply an anti-waketurbulence device, no more artificial than the wings creating the problem, particularly the front wings which are so artificial they can only run on billiard table smooth surfaces!

Nicanary's proposal to ban aero would eliminate both artificial problems.

Till then, the racing this year is the best we've ever had by miles!
Agree with all
Old 20 Jun 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3095632)   #80
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
The marketers would have a stroke. That's the mean reason why they won't cut/ditch the aeros.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 09:44 (Ref:3095847)   #81
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
The marketers would have a stroke. That's the mean reason why they won't cut/ditch the aeros.

Nowhere to place the sponsors' names.

I was a bit tongue-in-cheek with the ditch-aero philosophy, but it IS a thought. FIA could always have a "Year Zero", say 2016, and start again. All regs to have limited aero package, say a limited rear wing and two nose winglets. ANYTHING to have closer and fairer racing.
Old 21 Jun 2012, 10:13 (Ref:3095865)   #82
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
But the 2014 regulations require you to run with the least amount of drag as possible, whilst still using the same philosophy as is used now, to create downforce. The regulations require a 1650mm front wing, and a much smaller rear wing. Probably something similar to that currently used for Monza will be used all season long.

There's a big difference to everything, when you can only run with just enough fuel to get you only two thirds of the way into the race, rather than running with just enough fuel to get you to the end of the race. The emphasis on efficiency is the game changer.

But that's a bit off topic. Back to moaning about what's happening in the current season.