Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Oct 2010, 06:55 (Ref:2780584)   #126
davo.
Racer

Australia
Sydney
davo. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
Alan also mentioned that the GT cars are lapping 15-20secs a lap faster. So any hope of a surprise result would be very remote. Hard to sell to your sponsors that you've gone from outright contention to topping the 3rd or 4th best class in the event....?

There will be a media release about Roger's effort for B12 coming soon, along with the announcement of his 3rd driver (a former gun in the Cup ). They will be a strong challenger for Class B honours IMHO.
Don't you think that sponsors would still be interested in the event especially the additional exposure the event has created. Especially if TMR had a strong race & you'd think the commentators would give them a good coverage given the success of the team in the past. I'm sure Wests Surfing would be right behind them if they wanted to enter. Given the success of the AMC for the team, you'd have to think that Kostera/Crimp and say Tulloch would be tempted by the Mountain.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 07:49 (Ref:2780605)   #127
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not TMRs call. Unless the drivers and sponsors want to go, the TMR stays home.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 11:04 (Ref:2780704)   #128
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cant argue with the production guys being disappointed that they aren't racing for outright anymore however I would of thought the prospect of a class win at Bathurst would still be pretty tempting.

One production car team has said they wont return to bathurst in 2011 for the above reason but will however travel to Malaysia for the 12 hour event at Sepang - you know where they still wont be competing in the outright class

I am not sure about you but given the option of Sepang or Mount Panorama for 12 hours it would be a long decision making process.

Great to see the Walls supporting the event
Old 26 Oct 2010, 21:49 (Ref:2780921)   #129
kingers
Racer

kingers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
There will be a media release about Roger's effort for B12 coming soon, along with the announcement of his 3rd driver (a former gun in the Cup ). They will be a strong challenger for Class B honours IMHO.
Very very quick 3rd driver...
Old 26 Oct 2010, 22:37 (Ref:2780936)   #130
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Cant argue with the production guys being disappointed that they aren't racing for outright anymore however I would of thought the prospect of a class win at Bathurst would still be pretty tempting.

One production car team has said they wont return to bathurst in 2011 for the above reason but will however travel to Malaysia for the 12 hour event at Sepang - you know where they still wont be competing in the outright class

I am not sure about you but given the option of Sepang or Mount Panorama for 12 hours it would be a long decision making process.
However they also get the experience of racing on the Sepang GP circuit. How many Nurburgring competitors are in it for the outright win? Plenty of guys go there to race not even for class honours. It's about racing somewhere they havent raced before.
Old 27 Oct 2010, 05:23 (Ref:2781005)   #131
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Belly13 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It’s not Jim Hunter going to Sepang is it?
Has anyone heard about the NZ team Motorsport Services Ltd? They were thinking of bringing two Porsches and their BMW 130i from this year's race a few months ago.
http://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/new...hurst-12-hour/
I have also heard that the Koundouris brothers will enter one of their Porsche Cup S's. There was also a rumour around saying that the Mackie boys and their Lotus Elise HPE (or one of them at least!) were considering running, depending on budget. That thing would be a rocket judging by their pace earlier in the year at the Mount at the FoSC meeting.
At the State round at EC on Sunday, one of the commentators mentioned that Ian Pretty's Ford GT may be eligible to run, depending on organisers. Anyone have any ideas?
Finally, can people give a rough estimate on how many cars they believe will be in the race come February?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 27 Oct 2010, 06:41 (Ref:2781022)   #132
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
can not wait for this event! hopefully there is a large field of cars and hopefully fingers crossed some overseas entrants
Old 28 Oct 2010, 02:44 (Ref:2781433)   #133
B24
Racer

Australia
Glebe, NSW, Australia
B24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here is a peek of what it will be like. Although this is Bathurst 24hr 2002 it is still what the event will be bar the night driving and that ónly car in it's class' Monaro...
http://www.youtube.com/user/SKR1967?feature=mhum

Enjoy
Old 28 Oct 2010, 05:29 (Ref:2781471)   #134
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Yeah, I laughed aloud when I heard that one too.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 05:31 (Ref:2781472)   #135
EfiOz
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
EfiOz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe this is also going to be pretty strict GT3 regs for the GT class so a lot of the half breeds that populate Australian grids are out.

I don't think a Mosler is even going to be allowed.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 08:55 (Ref:2781525)   #136
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiOz View Post
I believe this is also going to be pretty strict GT3 regs for the GT class so a lot of the half breeds that populate Australian grids are out.

That will wipe out a tonne of the grid in one stroke won't it?

Is this all REALLY going to be any more popular than the 'production' car 12hr??

-A likely depleted grid with the production guys (understandably in my opinion) not running, and the supposed above rule change?

-A lack of 'name' drivers (i can't see many more entering next year than haven't entered in the last few, and they can't even be paired together)
Old 28 Oct 2010, 20:36 (Ref:2781812)   #137
davelise
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
davelise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EfiOz View Post

Really? The eligibility list shows it, as well as my Lotus. Is there some other secret list I should be looking at?
Old 28 Oct 2010, 21:46 (Ref:2781834)   #138
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Sheep Stations should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mosler is in, so is the 500 kg/5000 hp Lotus. The event will be free of the politics of AGT regs, not subscribing to it.

Supp Regs aren't far away, from the interest/confirmed entries this event will be huge, despite the doom sayers and toy throwers.
Old 28 Oct 2010, 23:13 (Ref:2781852)   #139
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
That will wipe out a tonne of the grid in one stroke won't it?

Is this all REALLY going to be any more popular than the 'production' car 12hr??

-A likely depleted grid with the production guys (understandably in my opinion) not running, and the supposed above rule change?

-A lack of 'name' drivers (i can't see many more entering next year than haven't entered in the last few, and they can't even be paired together)
Does anyone here bother to check the regs or with the organisers before hand wringing and wailing? Hard to take some posters seriously...seriously!

Wait until the furthers are out and the significant number of people/teams waiting for this to put their entries in.

As for the GT's making the event more popular...was there any real public acceptance and excitement for the event before?
Old 29 Oct 2010, 02:55 (Ref:2781889)   #140
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Dean Grant's Mosler has already been entered (and accepted) hasn't it?
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 29 Oct 2010, 03:45 (Ref:2781896)   #141
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lotus Exige available Here
Old 29 Oct 2010, 05:12 (Ref:2781908)   #142
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Mosler's in so where's Martin Short? Someone should give him a bell so he can come down here and race without having to race against cars like the Monaro, like last time he was here, love to see him back.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 06:10 (Ref:2781922)   #143
Belly13
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Mosler's in so where's Martin Short? Someone should give him a bell so he can come down here and race without having to race against cars like the Monaro, like last time he was here, love to see him back.
Plenty of people would love to see him back, and he's a real gentleman as well.
GRM's #1 Supporter 2014
Bloody Volvo Drivers...
Old 29 Oct 2010, 06:15 (Ref:2781924)   #144
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post
Does anyone here bother to check the regs or with the organisers before hand wringing and wailing? Hard to take some posters seriously...seriously!
I'm merely basing my info on what is on here, i have no 'inside info' like you seem to...

Hoe can i check the regs when you say they haven't been released yet??
Old 29 Oct 2010, 06:42 (Ref:2781930)   #145
Wood-duck
Racer

Wood-duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Stations View Post

Wait until the furthers are out and the significant number of people/teams waiting for this to put their entries in.

As for the GT's making the event more popular...was there any real public acceptance and excitement for the event before?

Proof will be in the pudding....
Old 29 Oct 2010, 15:11 (Ref:2782136)   #146
Morris Dancer
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Morris Dancer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll make bugger-all to the spectator attendance, either way. Time and again, Australian racefans have shown scant interest in exotic tin-tops, from Super Touring Cars to GTs. You could fire a canon across the top of Mount Panorama at any of the past 12-hours without fear of hitting anyone.

If the promoters want to pull a decent crowd instead of the two men and a dog who turn up each year to the existing glorified club race, they should hold a 'showroom showdown' for series production (ie. mass produced) touring cars.

The sole entry criterion: minimum average monthly sales for at least six months high enough to preclude anything other than 'bread and butter' models such as Commodores, Falcons, Camrys etc. No BMWs, Evos, HSVs, FPVs, Porsches, Lambos or 'invited' exotics.

There's scope for two 500km series production touring car races, both on the Sunday: the first for the base variant of any qualifying model; and the second exclusively for the topline Commodore (ie. SS V8) and Falcon (ie. XR6 turbo).

I can hear the turnstyles whirring now!
Old 29 Oct 2010, 20:37 (Ref:2782300)   #147
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
I think that if the race included high powered production sedans HSVs, Bimmers, Mercs, Audis, Mustangs, GTRs, Lexus etc........500hp or more it would attract a crowd also.
Old 29 Oct 2010, 23:22 (Ref:2782372)   #148
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Why not:
Max price $A85K Must be 250 of model registered in Australia
Genuine Series prod. Brake materials and Shocks only mods allowed. Exhaust free.
Dry break refueling and fuel cell, strip out trim, but ballasted back to original kerb wieght.
Over 2ltr 4 door, under 2ltr 2 door allowed.

And here is attraction for manufacturers and importers.
Equal prize money and status for outright and for an index of efficiency based on wieght, distance covered and fuel consumption.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 00:03 (Ref:2782377)   #149
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Why not:
Max price $A85K Must be 250 of model registered in Australia
Genuine Series prod. Brake materials and Shocks only mods allowed. Exhaust free.
Dry break refueling and fuel cell, strip out trim, but ballasted back to original kerb wieght.
Over 2ltr 4 door, under 2ltr 2 door allowed.

And here is attraction for manufacturers and importers.
Equal prize money and status for outright and for an index of efficiency based on wieght, distance covered and fuel consumption.
Good onya old fella, now you've got the idea........but I'd rather see 1000 of model sold world wide to be eligible.

Imagine the sound of a twin turbo V8 Merc at the mountain.
Old 30 Oct 2010, 00:15 (Ref:2782379)   #150
Sheep Stations
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69 View Post
I'm merely basing my info on what is on here, i have no 'inside info' like you seem to...

Hoe can i check the regs when you say they haven't been released yet??
You can go onto the 12 hour website anytime and get the event regulations (released ages ago) and eligibility list. The 'supplementary regulations' come out later and iron out any issues that arose from the regs plus extra information relating to operations at the event.

Nothing secret squirrel or inside info about it...just normal procedure.