Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 19 Feb 2012, 22:46 (Ref:3028150)   #751
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
well it was expected since it was 1st round even the F5000's got over 10,000 through the gate at HD. but would you now rush off and buy a ticket to the Ruapuna round to watch STs, Hondas and ummm, ummm, umm what else will be racing that weekend?
I wonder if "through the gate" includes competitors for the F5000's? Cause actual audience numbers seemed light on the day, and the car park was a lot "fuller" [sic] at HD on Saturday than it was for the F5000's, but they quoted numbers as 6000 for that day. Mind you, I didn't go the second weekend of the F5000's and that was probably the better one to go to.

And yes, I would go to Ruapuna if I lived in the SI, but being a Jafa I don't get out much, it was a big effort to go to the Waikato

Might go to Taupo though, as long as I don't have to drive through Hamilton
Old 20 Feb 2012, 04:04 (Ref:3028204)   #752
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here's an interesting article I found on the Coyote vs LS-3, for those of us who are not race-engine builders.

To me it would seem the Coyote will be a more expensive thing to maintain and possibly might not have the same reliability as the LS-3 due to more moving parts. However, it would be good to hear both down the back straight of somewhere like Taupo or Pukekohe, as I would think the Ford will need to run higher revs than the Chev due to slightly lower torque.

Which would be nice to hear the two sound different at full song, gives a bit of differentiation that even the Supercars don't really have these days.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 04:27 (Ref:3028208)   #753
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
what about the Toyota?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 08:37 (Ref:3028261)   #754
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedreader View Post
Bring back the Global Sports days - people who REALLY knew how to run a race series successfully (and commercially...) for the benefit of ALL competitors, officials and spectators !!!
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Global Sports and Marketing Ltd go tits up and leave a number of sports in dire straights. Seem to remember that The Motorsport Company (TMC) was quickly formed to honour contracts and keep the then current race series alive and on track.

In saying that I had a very happy association working alongside of the Global people, they were quite dedicated to the task and they did show the way forward in many areas, I would have liked to see them succeed and progress to the next level, it could have been something quite special for many NZ sports and not just motor racing.

I too miss them
Old 20 Feb 2012, 09:00 (Ref:3028276)   #755
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
well it was expected since it was 1st round even the F5000's got over 10,000 through the gate at HD. but would you now rush off and buy a ticket to the Ruapuna round to watch STs, Hondas and ummm, ummm, umm what else will be racing that weekend?

Sorry to burst your bubble but no Honda's that weekend.
Old 20 Feb 2012, 09:06 (Ref:3028277)   #756
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
what bubble?
Old 20 Feb 2012, 22:46 (Ref:3028625)   #757
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
I hear TKR are looking for a NZV8 franchise...
Made me laugh, but led the thread off in a bit of a cul-de-sac. Following posts all moved into the relevant thread.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 05:41 (Ref:3028698)   #758
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are 3 people posting on here who manage to **** on everything. Ladies, it isn't big and it isn't clever. A one liner and a smiley face isn't debate - its purile. You lack the subtlety to to disguise your agenda

The question about who will buy a new BMX, sorry MRX hasn't been answered (still) so I might have a go.

Foggy - said he couldn't afford an ST. BMX has same problem (less a couple of rounds worth of budget) and no certainty of anyone to play with. Currently sniffing around like crazy for an enduro drive.

Edgell - said he couldn't afford an ST. CRX has same problem (less a couple of rounds worth of budget) and no certainty of anyone to play with. Also apparently resigned from Veega board after Southern Mayors 15 sec of fame.
Rumoured to be keen to on CC since it is the only place to play that will make their car worth anthing.

Short - Daddy says I'm not allowed to come over and play. Definately a starter for a TXT. But who will pay? Oh probably everybody else as usual when its all said and done (ie you and me)

XXX - I'm sure there is all sorts of pressure for these guys to start a 6 car NSX team but really - these guys are more Steak Mignon than bbq sausage bulk pack

Simon Richards - sure, PBX if everybody else does
Nick Ross - same

I'm sure there are a stack out there who would if they knew others would.
Its like rush the fort - "lets all go together in a mad charge"
"OK, after you"
"No no, I insist" etc

Of course when they get there they'll find someone has stolen the door handle and crapped on the couch.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 05:56 (Ref:3028703)   #759
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
haters gonna hate *shrugs*
Old 21 Feb 2012, 06:00 (Ref:3028704)   #760
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
go to this and find out for yourself

btw they'll have food and refreshments.. so your evening won't be a total loss if no one turn up
Old 21 Feb 2012, 06:31 (Ref:3028707)   #761
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The fact that exactly that arrived in my inbox the other day as part of the Motorsport New Zealand E Flag magazine has me very tempted to cancel my race licence and surrender my car club membership.

The administative body blatently favouring a commercial entity makes me sick.

Get out the sandpit MSNZ and let it rise or fall on its merits.

Is a mass resignation of members what it would take to let sense prevail?
Old 21 Feb 2012, 07:06 (Ref:3028713)   #762
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
try it who knows.. it may work
Old 21 Feb 2012, 07:07 (Ref:3028714)   #763
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can someone tell me when MSNZ or what ever it was called in it's day, did NOT promote a top class? Did not pay to get somethign going whether it was Tasman Cup, NZV8 or ping pong.

V8 Threads on here are worse than discussions on politics
Old 21 Feb 2012, 07:53 (Ref:3028722)   #764
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
dunno

i'm still wondering why CC is better than NZV8 CC have less cars and (so far) zero tv coverage
Old 21 Feb 2012, 08:41 (Ref:3028737)   #765
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
dunno

i'm still wondering why CC is better than NZV8 CC have less cars and (so far) zero tv coverage
It is a support category. It will get a TV slot I understand.
I didn't get time to see any of their races but I was told there was a cap of 16 cars for this round? Better I couldn't say but cheaper to run. But next year it will be better than NZV8 because there will be no NZV8 or not as we know it, if they do try to go another year it will be a joke.
The series of nobodies!
Old 21 Feb 2012, 09:31 (Ref:3028764)   #766
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
Better I couldn't say but cheaper to run.
haha ST sprinkling a little sugar on their words again
Old 21 Feb 2012, 09:35 (Ref:3028768)   #767
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
It is a support category. It will get a TV slot I understand.
Well that should be correct. According to the V8ST website:
• The V8Challenge Cup will also enjoy extensive television coverage on TV3’s Gillette Motorsport show with all five rounds screened in a delayed highlights programme.

These are guys who can't afford to buy into V8ST so they need to perform on the same programme to be recognised as potential co-drivers or otherwise, which is what the class is about. They need to offer something to sponsors and sponsors want to see their young chargers on the tele!
Old 26 Feb 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3031593)   #768
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
11 days out from the new gen cars "Official Release".. still no press releases/photos/videos/crayon drawings of the upspec FG or new VE?

promotion at it's best!
Old 26 Feb 2012, 20:30 (Ref:3031599)   #769
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
promotion at it's best![/QUOTE]

Must be taking a leaf out off Ford's book
Old 26 Feb 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3031617)   #770
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
BNT V8s Championship
Round 6: Dunlop Grand Finals - Taupo - 9-11 March 2012

NEW GENERATION NZV8 “OFFICIAL RELEASE”
Venue 1: Isaac Performance Vehicles, Taupo Race Track, 5.30pm : 9th March, 2012

talking about not selling your product

a couple of shiny new toys for the public to ohh and ahhh would probably help with ticket sales to the final round.. don't ya think?
Old 26 Feb 2012, 23:37 (Ref:3031690)   #771
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
I hear through the grapevine that someone at TMC has conceded that they have been soundly beaten in the V8 stakes. This lacklustre promotion of the new car looks like a sure sign of capitulation on their behalf.

Which is a shame really. ST is virtually a closed shop already unless you have $45-60k to pay for a co-drive in the three enduro rounds. If you want to win a National title in a V8 class, what else is there at a sensible price?
Old 27 Feb 2012, 00:24 (Ref:3031696)   #772
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
the local primary school netball team does a better job promoting their sport than TMC. the "they'll come to us" attitude was never going to work.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 02:20 (Ref:3031723)   #773
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
I hear through the grapevine that someone at TMC has conceded that they have been soundly beaten in the V8 stakes. This lacklustre promotion of the new car looks like a sure sign of capitulation on their behalf.

Which is a shame really. ST is virtually a closed shop already unless you have $45-60k to pay for a co-drive in the three enduro rounds. If you want to win a National title in a V8 class, what else is there at a sensible price?
I think the thing to do now is a deal for the benefit of all and as I laid out before, you could have the NZV8's folded into V8 Challenge Cup and even have the MRX car as an option if they could cut costs down. In addition look at the different support series as well to see what could be done.

That way you'd have multiple options at different price points that people could either afford or source a sponsor for. The Challenge Cup can be like the Dunlop Series in Australia with privateers who don't want to run in the main game or those looking to move up through the ranks and get the experience and demonstrate their skills.

Right now, ST is getting off the ground and plugged into V8 Supercar drivers and some of the current national drivers, but then what next when those people move on someday? So it's not an issue now, but something to consider because if it just ends up as local/regional club racing and then just V8ST, there is really going to be no pathway for jumping up to a $200K car.

I don't think support series bring hordes of people to the track, but not having enough of them drives people away from future events as no one wants to sit there with hours between races.
Old 27 Feb 2012, 02:46 (Ref:3031728)   #774
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
so you're talking about ending the summer series (as we know it) and the turning the all classes into support classes for the ST series?
Old 27 Feb 2012, 03:01 (Ref:3031733)   #775
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Agreed. I stated the same thing probably six months ago where ideally V8ST should have become the 'main game' with NZV8's providing a decent V8 feeder class with plenty of room for quality support classes - all part of one show. Unfortunately we can all see the outcome from the split that's transpired.

I believe V8ST need more support classes as I heard many grizzles about the downtime between races at Hampton Downs. And the punters go to see racing. However I'm sure that is a work-in-progress for ST management as they continue to develop their product.

It may even be that ST becomes the new summer series if the current one fizzles.