Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 7 Apr 2014, 09:27 (Ref:3389666)   #126
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If its like the imp/stiletto they should have but if its like my imp chassis there is no plate but having bought it from a well known Maguire fan and his word is as good that the chassis is the x sue davies car and then to confirm I have found pictures and had conformation from the man that welded the chassis when new that it is that said car ,so you should be able to find out whos car it was even if the plate is missing

col
Old 7 Apr 2014, 13:24 (Ref:3389749)   #127
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Duke View Post
I have just bought,what I think is,a Maguire Metro,would there be an ID plate on there?.
Car is in bits at the moment,as The engine is out.I will post some pictures later.
Tom Shephard [formerly with John M and now runing GT Motorsport] will know... assuming he comes on here. If not, I'll shove the photos under his nose as he's a friend of mine on Facebook. George Crozier from Northern Ireland used to run one of those in Irish GTs and was devastatingly quick.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 15:20 (Ref:3389786)   #128
Neil Duke
Racer

Neil Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Tom Shephard [formerly with John M and now runing GT Motorsport] will know... assuming he comes on here. If not, I'll shove the photos under his nose as he's a friend of mine on Facebook. George Crozier from Northern Ireland used to run one of those in Irish GTs and was devastatingly quick.
The car is in NI,so it could be the same car.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 16:21 (Ref:3389807)   #129
Neil Duke
Racer

Try a few pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Metro 007.JPG   Metro 008.JPG   Metro 009.JPG  

Metro 011.JPG   Metro 001 - Copy.JPG   Metro 002 - Copy.JPG  

Old 7 Apr 2014, 16:24 (Ref:3389811)   #130
Neil Duke
Racer

One more
Attached Thumbnails
Metro 003 - Copy.JPG  
Old 7 Apr 2014, 18:23 (Ref:3389852)   #131
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm fairly certain that's George Crozier's Metro. That looks to be a Vegantune twin cam in the back of it too which is what he ran. It's a very famous car you have there if it proves to be the case.

Here's some footage of it in action at Mondello.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 18:35 (Ref:3389859)   #132
col rooney
Racer

Ireland
col rooney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes it looks like georges car even the colours but you seat looks to be in the middle George sat to the right side but that could have been changed or is your seat just loose in the car ,George is still involved in motorsport if you google him you should be able to get intouch with him

col
Old 7 Apr 2014, 19:16 (Ref:3389874)   #133
Neil Duke
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
I'm fairly certain that's George Crozier's Metro. That looks to be a Vegantune twin cam in the back of it too which is what he ran. It's a very famous car you have there if it proves to be the case.

Here's some footage of it in action at Mondello.
The car had a BDG,which is what will go back.By Vegantune twin cam,did you mean the belt driven VTA?I have got one in another car.

Having checked a few threads,it would appear to be that car,as George Crozier sold it to Jim Hutchinson,& I bought it from Jim.Thanks for that,any more info appreciated.

Last edited by Neil Duke; 7 Apr 2014 at 19:33.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 19:29 (Ref:3389888)   #134
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
The car had a BDG,which is what will go back.By Vegantune twin cam,did you mean the belt driven VTA?I have got one in another car.
The 1600cc Lotus Twin Cam. That's what it was fitted with when originally built as Irish GT regs didn't allow 16v engines back then. I'm guessing the BDG must have been fitted later.
Old 7 Apr 2014, 20:01 (Ref:3389904)   #135
Neil Duke
Racer

OK,thanks.
Old 8 Apr 2014, 07:43 (Ref:3390071)   #136
Neil Duke
Racer

Does anybody recognise the suspension?
Old 8 Apr 2014, 09:35 (Ref:3390098)   #137
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Does anybody recognise the suspension?
Just sent you a PM.
Old 4 May 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3401811)   #138
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

maguire imp chassis no1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maguire racing cars

Just saw this pic anyone seen this before
Old 4 May 2014, 11:27 (Ref:3401821)   #139
maguire imp chassis no1
Rookie

maguire imp chassis no1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This

Picture
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 5 May 2014, 07:05 (Ref:3402367)   #140
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the McGuire skoda of Martin Brockhurst .
Old 5 May 2014, 08:06 (Ref:3402380)   #141
Andy Turnock
Rookie

Andy Turnock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maguire Skoda

This is the last time i saw it last month before being sold to Ireland i believe.
Attached Thumbnails
020.jpg  
Old 21 Aug 2014, 19:40 (Ref:3446061)   #142
steve65
Rookie

steve65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=WOCCOWAYCER;2828529]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith M Taylor View Post
Hi guys
A bit more info on John Maguire space frames....i had a quick look and found no mention of a Bernie Saunders (Used to do a lot of development work with David Vizard) in this thread so... who ran a yellow Maguire from the Cotswold's, Based workshop near Stow-on-the-Wold, Huntsmans Quarries, we took all the measurements from Bernie`s car, with Johns permission and built the main frame myself. Bought all the F/G panels & Front/rear coil springs from John, this was at the old workshop in Stony some thing Rd in Coventry, Roof, doors, front, rear panels boot ect..and got it all in and on a mini van, and back to Cheltenham in one go!!

I remember Bernie Saunders, we used to go and see him at the quarry.

He was doing hillclimbs and sprints with a conventional mini in the same yellow colour scheme as his Maguire car, sharing it with his (brother ?)

The Maguire car was circuit raced for Bernie by Malcolm Allen and very quick it was too, having an 8 port engine on fuel injection.

He had got the upper hand of our Maguire car at Donington one day but the throttle linkage broke and my brother went on to win !

Malcolm had a huge accident in it, I think it was at Combe and it caught fire, he was quite badly burned but both he and the car were repaired to fight another day.

I have attached a poor quality photo of Bernies car at Combe.

Do you know if Bernie is still around the area ?
Bernie, is still alive and kicking, he lives near me. Malcolm Allen that you mentioned is my uncle, he is still around too! I can put you in touch with either of them if you wish.
Old 25 Aug 2014, 07:57 (Ref:3447202)   #143
Andy Clegg
Racer

Andy Clegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to take photos for Malcolm Allen of his son Marcus when he was Karting at Shenington. Would you please send him my regards? Thanks.
Old 2 Sep 2014, 06:31 (Ref:3449646)   #144
Neil Duke
Racer

My Maguire Metro took a bad hit at the Mallory Park meeting in July,serious damage to the rear end.On the plus side,most of the damage was to bolt on bits,uprights,shocks,driveshaft,suspension links,etc.
Most of the parts have been sourced,or made,or are in the process of being made,so it will be ready for next season.
Old 8 Sep 2014, 18:28 (Ref:3451305)   #145
WOCCOWAYCER
Rookie

United Kingdom
DAVENTRY
WOCCOWAYCER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just looked in on the thread, it's going again !

Hi Neil,
Sorry to hear about your damage, hope it's coming back together ok.
I am intrigued by your car, as I don't remember a rear engined Metro being built by JM, is it a rebodied Imp/Stiletto ?
I don't think the special saloon regs at the time would have let it run in Metro form.

Also, Hi to Steve65, please pass on my regards to Malcolm and Bernie.
Old 8 Sep 2014, 21:00 (Ref:3451343)   #146
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure that this is the car built for George Crozier to race in Irish GTs.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 06:07 (Ref:3451398)   #147
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown View Post
I'm pretty sure that this is the car built for George Crozier to race in Irish GTs.
It is, yes.
Old 9 Sep 2014, 08:15 (Ref:3451419)   #148
Neil Duke
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOCCOWAYCER View Post
Hi Neil,
I am intrigued by your car, as I don't remember a rear engined Metro being built by JM, is it a rebodied Imp/Stiletto ?
I don't think the special saloon regs at the time would have let it run in Metro form.

It was built for George Crozier,running a 1.6 Twin Cam,not sure when it got the BDG,presumably during Jim Hutchinson's ownership.
It was definately built as a Metro,not modified later in life,& No,it probably wouldnt have met the Special Saloon regs of the day,but it does now.
The car was supplied with a Hewland Mk9,& we are hoping that it will take the BDG,if not,we will have to get either an FT,or FG & remake the lower rear suspension to suit.The Mk9 came back from JP yesterday,so that is on its way to Steve Mole now.Suspension links due back from Nickel plating Wednesday,new shocks have arrived from Quantum,so serious assembly will start shortly.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3452699)   #149
steve65
Rookie

steve65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOCCOWAYCER

Hi Ron, im friends with Barry who bought your spaceframe project, would be good to chat one day about the old days racing my uncle Malcolm.
Old 12 Sep 2014, 21:41 (Ref:3452716)   #150
oneofapair
Racer

oneofapair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOCCOWAYCER View Post
Hi Neil,

Donington Park "Special GT's would in period ,plus it could be argued it is the same layout as a 6R4