Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 May 2009, 14:16 (Ref:2464569)   #1
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A dream 2010 F1 Calendar.

After reading some threads on San Marino GP etc., I was just wondering what the ideal your ideal season would consist of? Mine would be:

1. Aussie GP in Adelaide.
2. Japanese GP at Sazuka
3. Night GP at Singapore
4. Chinese GP at Shanghai
5. Portugese GP at Algarve
6. Spanish GP at Catalunya
7. San Marino GP at Imola
8. Moncao GP at Monte Carlo
9. French GP at Reims based around the orignal Reims track (a bit unlikely, that one)
10. British GP at Donnington
11. German GP at Oscherschleben (the other two are abberations)
12. Austrian GP at the A1 Ring.
13. Belgian GP at Spa
14. Italian GP at Monza
15. Hungarian GP at the Hungaroring
16. Canadian GP in Montreal
17. US GP at Watkins Glen or Road America (I'm not picky!)
18. Mexican GP at Mexico City
19. Argentinian GP at San Luis.
20. Brazilian GP at Interlagos
21. Season finale at Kylami.

May need chopping down a bit.
Old 18 May 2009, 14:40 (Ref:2464581)   #2
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Depends on what you mean by "ideal"

An "ideal" calendar based on modern constraints (safety requirements, facilities etc) would have to be something like this:

1) Australia - Albert Park
2) Malaysia - Sepang
3) Brazil - Interlagos
4) Bahrain - Sakhir
5) Turkey - Istanbul
6) Monaco - Monte Carlo
7) Canada - Montreal
8) USA - Indianapolis
9) France - Magny-Cours
10) Britain - Silverstone
11) Germany - Nurburgring
12) Hungary - Hungaroring
13) Belgium - Spa-Francorchamps
14) Italy - Monza
15) Spain - Jerez
16) Portugal - Estoril/Algarve
17) Singapore - Marina Bay
18) Japan - Suzuka

I'd be prepared to slap Abu Dhabi on as it looks really good. I think it's going to be an instant classic

Either that or you could go for something completely unrealistic and slap in tracks like the Nordschliefe, Charade, old Spa etc. But that's never going to happen

We could see something like this next year, though:

1) South Africa - Kyalami
2) China - Shanghai/Zhuhai/Chengdu
3) Portugal - Algarve
4) Britain - Brands Hatch
5) Netherlands - Zandvoort/Assen
6) Canada - Montreal
7) USA - Laguna Seca
8) France - Magny-Cours
9) Germany - Nurburgring
10) Austria - Red Bull-Ring
11) Italy - Mugello
12) New Zealand - Hampton Downs
13) Australia - Surfers Paradise
14) Indonesia - Jakarta
15) Malaysia - Sepang
Old 18 May 2009, 14:42 (Ref:2464583)   #3
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
After reading some threads on San Marino GP etc., I was just wondering what the ideal your ideal season would consist of? Mine would be:

2. Japanese GP at Sazuka
3. Night GP at Singapore
9. French GP at Reims based around the orignal Reims track (a bit unlikely, that one)
13. Belgian GP at Spa
14. Italian GP at Monza

I reckon you've just about got most peoples fantasy calenders covered with that lot! However, there are a few amendments I'd make.

Shanghai and Hungaroring wouldn't make my list at all, I'd have Brands over Donington any day, and Austria would have to be at the old Osterreichring, not the A1. Catalunya I could live without, I take it you mean the old Kyalami, and if we're talking complete fantasy then it simply has to be the Nordschleife for Germany!
Old 18 May 2009, 15:29 (Ref:2464612)   #4
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk View Post
I reckon you've just about got most peoples fantasy calenders covered with that lot! However, there are a few amendments I'd make.

Shanghai and Hungaroring wouldn't make my list at all, I'd have Brands over Donington any day, and Austria would have to be at the old Osterreichring, not the A1. Catalunya I could live without, I take it you mean the old Kyalami, and if we're talking complete fantasy then it simply has to be the Nordschleife for Germany!
I didnt pick the Ostreichring or the Nordschleiffe because its not complete fantasy. really, there should be an SA GP so I put Kylami down there, which IMO is still a decent track.
Old 18 May 2009, 15:30 (Ref:2464614)   #5
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:

2. Japanese GP at Sazuka
3. Night GP at Singapore
13. Belgian GP at Spa
14. Italian GP at Monza

Why oh why did i put down Catalunya? This cold/flu/virus thing i've got is playing tricks with me. I meant Jerez.
Old 18 May 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2464629)   #6
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's my moderately realistic calendar for these events.

R1 - Australian GP, Melbourne - Too much backlash if it's removed.
R2 - Singapore GP, Singapore Street Circuit (Night race) - Instant classic. If you're wondering about the weather, all the data I have seen makes it look like it is practically the same all year round. I don't like their human rights record, but that's more of a political issue.
R3 - Malaysian GP, Sepang - It's a mickey mouse country but the circuit makes it worth it.
R4 - Japanese GP, Suzuka - Circuit of imilar epicness to Spa, and Japan is commercially important.
R5 - Abu Dhabi GP, Yas Island - Should become a classic, even though it's a mickey mous country. Could alternate with Bahrain.
R6 - Turkish GP, Istanbul - If they can stop dogs becoming flattened on the track it would be better, but the circuit is good. Istanbul is a large city, it just needs better turnout.
R7 - Portugese GP, Algarve - I haven't seen anything from there, but that Algarve circuit looks rather good.
R8 - Monaco GP, Monaco - It's Monaco, isn't it
R9 - French GP, Magny Cours with appropriate modifications or a new facility near Paris - Non-negotiable classic race.
R10 - British GP, Silverstone - Non-negotiable classic race, Silverstone is the preferred venue but Donington could be good.
R11 - Belgian GP, Spa - Classic race, at one of the world's greatest circuits.
R12 - German GP, Unsure, possibly Lausitzring - Must-have classic race, both current venues are dull but the race has to be there.
R13 - Italian GP, Monza - Must-have classic race at a classic venue.
R14 - Spanish GP, Valencia - I think we'll get better racing at there this year or Jerez - Could be an improvement.
R15 - Canadian GP, Montreal - Stick it near the middle of the season if it's a weather problem. A start time that is a one or two hour later start so that it is prime time in Europe as well as more advantagous for the local market would be preferable.
R16 - Brazilian GP, Interlagos - Ideally it would regain some of it's bumpiness, but South America needs a race. Maybe replace it with Argentina if needed. Run it slightly later in the afternoon so that it's an evening race in Europe.
R17 - United States GP, Indianapolis - Might have weather issues, it's near the end of the season for TV reasons. However, it would be non-negotiable that all races from Monza onwards plus Monaco are on network television.

An extra race could be either Finland (Helsinki), Russia (Moscow), Korea or similar. Absent races are Hungary, China, Korea, European GP and Bahrain.
Old 18 May 2009, 16:24 (Ref:2464647)   #7
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
I don't see how Silverstone could enter a dream calendar - its an absolutely awful circuit, I can't emphasise how bad it is for the spectator.
Old 18 May 2009, 16:53 (Ref:2464663)   #8
Tathrim
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lancaster/Wallingford
Tathrim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My post from the original, though itsn't necessarily realistic.

Quote:
Just a little contreversial, going new places while keepin required countries. I've included weeks as a reference to which weekends they race on, with race weekend at end of week, and Week 1 being the week falling on New Years, or or the day after if New Years is a Sunday.

Round 1 - Brazil – Interlagos – Good racing, and is eventful as both the opener or the ender. Could be diefferent to other races we have seen as it is in February - Week 7

Round 2 - Mexico - Mexico City Circuit – A whopper back in the 90's – Week10

Round 3 - Portugal - Portimao - better than Estoril, and looks like a MEAN track. Week 12

Late Winter Early Spring break.

Round 4 - Monaco - Monte Carlo circuit - Purely for classical purposes, and nearly threw this off of the calendar for Separating a two country pairing - Week 17

Round 5 - French GP - Rouen Les Essarts – another classic – Week 21

Round 6 - British GP - Bedford Autodrome - full layout - better than Silverstone or Donnington, and just needs pits, as length is there. - Week 22

Round 7 - Isle of Man GP - Jurby Circuit - The IoM is a good place to be for atmosphere, and replaces Silverstone's aspect of an airfield perimeter circuit. - Week 23

Round 8 - German GP - Hockenheim (pre Tilke) - A classic that should be returned to glory - Week 25

Round 9 - Turkish GP - Istanbul Park - Simply for Turn 8 - Week 27

Summer break

Round 10 - Belgian GP - Spa Francochamps – yet another classic - Week 31

Round 11 - Italy – Monza – fast one, and is very good racing. - Week 33

Round 12 - Poland and Czech Republic - alternating country annually - Kielce and Brno – Both haven't been races, and look like they'd produce a good race. - Week 35

Round 13 - US GP - alternating track annually - Laguna Seca and Elkhart Lake (Road America) Both good circuits, with good corner setup. - Week 37

Round 14 - Canada - Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve – a track on a river – why not? - Week 38

Round 15 - Malaysia - Sepang International Raceway - Good for the two straights and flowing section at top. Week 40

Round 16 -Japan - Suzuka circuit – better than Fuji. Just because. - Week 41

Round 17 -China – Shanghai – Only one that can really host it, but it's there for the industry ties. - Week 42

Round 18 - Australia - Adelaide street circuit- Adelaide is the classic closer - Week 45
However, I will begoing along similar lines this time, as I'm not happy with one or two choices that I made, that need changing. Changed shall be in bold, with reasons.

Round 1 - South Africa - WElkom - South African January racing, and looks to have a better flow than Kyalami - Week 4

Round 2 - Brazil – Interlagos - Week 7

Round 3 - Mexico - Mexico City Circuit – Week 10

Round 4 - Portugal - Portimao -Week 12

Late Winter/Early Spring break.

Round 5 - Monaco - Monte Carlo circuit - Week 17

Round 6 - French GP - Charade – changed because Rouen isn't really that viable, despite it being the better circuit. Week 21

Round 7 - British GP - Brands Hatch - Good circuit, classic corners, and has mroe character than Bedford - Week 22

Round 8 - Isle of Man GP - Jurby Circuit - Week 23

Round 9 - German GP - Hockenheim (pre Tilke) - Week 25

Round 10 - Turkish GP - Istanbul Park - Week 27

Summer break

Round 11 - Belgian GP - Spa Francochamps - Week 31

Round 12 - Italy – Monza - Week 33

Round 13 - Czech Republic - Brno - On second glances, more would have to be done to liece to work - Week 35

Round 14 - US GP - alternating track annually - Laguna Seca and Elkhart Lake (Road America) - Week 37

Round 15 - Canada - Circuit de Gilles Villeneuve - Week 38

Round 16 - Bahraini GP - Sakhir - Week 40

Round 17 - Malaysia - Sepang International Raceway - Week 42

Round 18 -Japan - Suzuka circuit - Week 44

Round 19 - Singapore - absolutely classic specatcle with the night racing - Week 45

Round 20 - Australia - Adelaide street circuit - Week 46

Any suggestions/ammendments?
Old 18 May 2009, 16:59 (Ref:2464669)   #9
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I don't see how Silverstone could enter a dream calendar - its an absolutely awful circuit, I can't emphasise how bad it is for the spectator.
Excuse me?

Explain...
Old 18 May 2009, 21:45 (Ref:2464837)   #10
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Excuse me?

Explain...
The best view is woodcote grandstand which is about the price of a property in mayfair, every other view is blocked by a fence which is about 20 feet tall, no trees, just a dull, empty space.

Oh and theres no decent overtaking opportunity till club, which is half way around the circuit. I'm not a fan of Silverstone, you might gather!
Old 18 May 2009, 23:24 (Ref:2464871)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
R16 - Brazilian GP, Interlagos - Ideally it would regain some of it's bumpiness, but South America needs a race. Maybe replace it with Argentina if needed. Run it slightly later in the afternoon so that it's an evening race in Europe.
Move it down to the last race of the year, late november will be perfect for a sunday afternoon in São Paulo, when the sunset would be around 7:30PM - but ideally it would be better to be in a north-eastern state city like Fortaleza with sunsets later than SP in the same time of the year.
Old 19 May 2009, 07:17 (Ref:2464939)   #12
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. United States - Las Vegas
Americans need a race, the sponsors need it, the teams need it and F1 needs it. As for the track there's no permanent circuit that's a good fit. Why not Vegas? Perfect spot for the US GP. Lot’s of travelers with disposable income and plenty of potential sponsors.

2. Mexico – Mexico City Circuit
I find the trend of taking European and Western Hemisphere races away and giving them to obscure middle East and Asian countries disturbing. I’m reversing the trend. Plus it’s a fine track that I always liked.

3. Brazil – Interlagos
Good track. Fits better at the front of the calendar for me, though.

4. South America – Kylami
Another perfectly good track and race abandoned by Mr. E.

5. Australia – Albert Park, Melbourne
A beautiful venue, very fast for a street circuit.

6. San Marino – Imola
Great track, needs to be back on the calendar. They can make it safe without butchering it. Figure it out, let’s go.

7. Monaco – Monte Carlo
Of course.

8. Canada – Gilles Villenueve Circuit, Montreal
Classic track, should be permanent on F1 calander.

9. Spain – Jerez
Excellent track. Why do they not race here anymore?

10. Britain – Silverstone
I’d type of course again, but apparently it’s not that obvious. Nothing against DonningtonPark, but there has to be a race at Silverstone.

11. France – Circuit de la Sarthe, Le Mans
Everyone knows that Magny Cours sucks, why not race on the home the legendary 24 hour race. I don’t see why it couldn’t happen.

12. Germany – Nurburgring
Old Hockenheim would be better, the REAL ‘ring would be best. New Hockenheim is the ******* demon child of Bernie Ecklestone and Herman Tilke. Having said that, Nurburgring is a very good track that gets unfairly compaired to big brother.

13. Hungary – Hungaroring
It may be the slowest permanent track in F1, but it’s a good track. For some reason, it wouldn’t feel right without it. Plus overtaking is much easier in the new cars.

14. Belgium – Spa!
Once again, no-brainer.

15. Italy – Monza
Blindingly fast. What’s not to love?

16. Europe – Valencia, Spain
Ok, the first race was weak, but it’s a great venue and a very good track. And not one, but TWO bridges!

17. Singapore – Marina Bay (night)
The first race was spectacular in every way. Plus it also has two bridges.

18. Malaysia – Sepang (night)
Speed TV’s Bob Varsha suggested this would be a good candidate for a night race. I agree. This is the same track as Shanghai. I feel Sepang is the clear choice due to the cool factor.

19. Japan – Fuji
It’s no Suzuka, but I like it, so here it is. Suzuka gets a race, though. So I’m proud to announce the very first…

20. Asian GP – Suzuka
It is Suzuka. Outstanding track, deserving venue for the season finale.
Old 19 May 2009, 08:09 (Ref:2464970)   #13
nycuk
Veteran

England
Quote:
The best view is woodcote grandstand which is about the price of a property in mayfair, every other view is blocked by a fence which is about 20 feet tall, no trees, just a dull, empty space.

Oh and theres no decent overtaking opportunity till club, which is half way around the circuit. I'm not a fan of Silverstone, you might gather!
Fences - yes, a problem, but there are better places to spectate than Woodcote. From Abbey along to the exit of Bridge is good, and outside of Becketts is great! Also, the entry to Copse, as close as you can to the corner itself is worth a walk along to. Maybe you already have?
Old 19 May 2009, 08:16 (Ref:2464976)   #14
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Also, the entry to Copse, as close as you can to the corner itself is worth a walk along to. Maybe you already have?
That's where I am Cannot wait...

Selby
Old 19 May 2009, 13:23 (Ref:2465137)   #15
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Fences - yes, a problem, but there are better places to spectate than Woodcote. From Abbey along to the exit of Bridge is good, and outside of Becketts is great! Also, the entry to Copse, as close as you can to the corner itself is worth a walk along to. Maybe you already have?
Still, Brands Hatch, Oulton Park, Castle Combe, Donnington all have better views - wait - thats all the British circuits I've been to!
Old 19 May 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2465160)   #16
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
And out of them isn't only 1 eligable to host a GP?

Selby
Old 19 May 2009, 15:33 (Ref:2465200)   #17
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
And out of them isn't only 1 eligable to host a GP?

Selby
Donnington and Brands could be. Donnington should be soon.

I went to Silverstone to watch a Grand Prix and it completely uninterested me. I'd rather go to Spa.
Old 19 May 2009, 15:37 (Ref:2465205)   #18
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
And you think Donington won't be the same?

Welcome to modern F1. The old days of unobstructed views from grass banks, gravel traps and affordable ticket prices for the average punter are long gone

Silverstone is one of the most challenging, most historic and fastest tracks in the world. It should be on the calendar. Donington won't be the same circuit when they're done with it
Old 19 May 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2465210)   #19
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
And you think Donington won't be the same?

Welcome to modern F1. The old days of unobstructed views from grass banks, gravel traps and affordable ticket prices for the average punter are long gone

Silverstone is one of the most challenging, most historic and fastest tracks in the world. It should be on the calendar. Donington won't be the same circuit when they're done with it
I fully appreciate that Donnington will get the fence treatment. But Silverstone is dull and flat. Atleast at Donnington you'll be able to see the odd tree, and a little rise or two.

At Silverstone, there's no out and out decent ovetaking opportunity till Club.

As for history? Does Donnington hosting the first British GP in 1938 count for something?
Old 19 May 2009, 15:52 (Ref:2465217)   #20
nycuk
Veteran

England

Quote:
IAs for history? Does Donnington hosting the first British GP in 1938 count for something?
Sadly not. In modern F1, history and heritage seems to count for nothing.
Old 19 May 2009, 16:21 (Ref:2465233)   #21
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Sadly not. In modern F1, history and heritage seems to count for nothing.
Exactly, so why should Silversone carry an advantage over history?
Old 19 May 2009, 16:26 (Ref:2465237)   #22
nycuk
Veteran

England
Quote:
Exactly, so why should Silversone carry an advantage over history?
Mmm... I don't remember saying it should..?
Old 19 May 2009, 16:30 (Ref:2465240)   #23
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Mmm... I don't remember saying it should..?
Thats wasn't directed at you, sorry.

Its just someone else mentioned that a plus that Silverstone has is its history. But:

A. The FIA don't care about hitsory
and
B. Donnington has more of the stuff anyway.
Old 19 May 2009, 20:55 (Ref:2465361)   #24
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Donington doesn't have more history. It hosted a few races in the 1930s but then lay dormant for 40 years. It has a longer history but has hosted a grand total of 1 F1 GP
Old 19 May 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2465366)   #25
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Forgeting about fences, can the circuit cope with F1 etc as this thread is "a dream 2010 calendar, Brands Hatch would be my choice and on top of all the other circuits listed before, a return to Zandvoort would be on my list.