Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Jan 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2612822)   #1
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
CJCA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"RoverSport" Dunlop Metro GTi Challenge

Hi All,

I have searched the forums and cant find any information on the above Championship, I think it ran from 1991-1994 or 5. I hope to find out some information about my car that was run by Chris Pope and the Castle Combe Rally School. I also know that Don Kettleborough, Adam Crowton, Tony Pond and Paul Northall took part in the championship at some point. If anybody has any information/stories/photos etc I would be most grateful

Regards

Chris Astley
Old 14 Jan 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2613264)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the questions!

I'm sure some members can be of assistance in due course.

IIRC, the series may have run with the original shells but then changed to the facelifted I.E. louvred headlight surrounds models later on. Might not have that correct!

The series was a mixture of races, rallies and hillclimbs is that right? Interesting concept I thought.

There were one or two guest or 'celebrity cars'. ARG liked having those in their one make championships. I think Tony Pond was seen in one of those, or possibly development hacks when he competed!
Old 14 Jan 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2613319)   #3
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got a few copies of the old Rover Sport News publications from the 1990s which I'm sure will have some details inside them - however I had a clearout before Christmas and all of my 'goodies' are in storage at the moment. Please bare with me and I'll try and dig them out and scan anything of interest for you.

The cars were originally developed by Tony Pond Racing / David Appleby if I remember right - as were the Rover Metro GTi Challenge cars as well.

Interesting topic.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2613789)   #4
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
As far as I'm aware, the challenge was a mixture of races and rallies, including international rallies in Belgium and Ireland. Do you know if there's any photos of the "face-lifted" car? or in fact, any photos of the original cars? Mine is the only black on that was running in the championship sponsored by The AA I've been told.

Also, does anybody know where I can find a Metro R6 build manual?

thanks

Chris Astley
Old 15 Jan 2010, 15:44 (Ref:2613822)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No,but I know where you can get hold of some genuine Rover Sport Decals if you want them.
Old 15 Jan 2010, 16:11 (Ref:2613833)   #6
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
I have been looking for some for a long time as the only ones left on the car got jet washed off when I first got it where, when, how much? !!! as I am looking to get the car done back to "Challenge spec" and livery

Chris Astley
Old 27 Jan 2010, 22:25 (Ref:2620644)   #7
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
I dont suppose anybody on here has a copy of the "Sporting Rovers" VHS from 1991-1994 that they wouldnt mind lending out for a week or two? It's just that I am struggling to find any photo evidence of my car "in full spec" I have heard that it ran in TheAA livery/decals, but have no idea how they looked on the car.

Thanks In Advance

Chris Astley
Old 4 Feb 2010, 05:25 (Ref:2626131)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chris,have you tried Youtube? [obvious question really]
Old 11 Feb 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2631533)   #9
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
Hi Terry,

I have and all I got was 6r4's and the Drayton Manor Metro Cup... :/

I've been on the Metro forums, and there's only 1 thread about a guy who bought an Ex-Works car (like mine) but nothing about history etc... which is what I am after

ChrisAstley
Old 12 Feb 2010, 23:59 (Ref:2632474)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I remember Tony Pond driving the guest (turbo?) car in the British GP meeting, not sure of the year. It caught fire after fuel escaped from the filler cap and was ignited by the exhaust. As he ran from the inferno we could clearly hear him asking the marshals not to put it out too quickly else he'd have to drive it again in the second race!
Old 13 Feb 2010, 15:18 (Ref:2632699)   #11
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the questions!

I'm sure some members can be of assistance in due course.

IIRC, the series may have run with the original shells but then changed to the facelifted I.E. louvred headlight surrounds models later on. Might not have that correct!

The series was a mixture of races, rallies and hillclimbs is that right? Interesting concept I thought.

There were one or two guest or 'celebrity cars'. ARG liked having those in their one make championships. I think Tony Pond was seen in one of those, or possibly development hacks when he competed!

I think your right... I have found a few pictures of a metro, must be from 94-95 or later, as theres a land rover discovery in the background. The car has Air-Jacks fitted, the bonnet came off as a whole (as opposed to being on hinges) the red line on the tacho is at 8k as opposed to the standard 6500 I think it is. The rear spoiler seems a lot bigger as well!! there is a side exit exhaust, and the wheels are completely different!!

I also found out that Tony Pond was a guest driver in 1993 in 2 of the international rallies in the Tate and Lyle sponsored car. Aparently it looked just like a tub of golden syrup, with the green and gold!!!

Rgds

ChrisAstley

Last edited by CJCA; 13 Feb 2010 at 15:21. Reason: info about Tony Pond
Old 13 Feb 2010, 17:24 (Ref:2632744)   #12
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
There's a few photos over on the British Rally forum within the Rally pics from the past thread. I haven't given you the direct link as I think it might possibly contravene forum rules - I might be wrong on that though.

Have fun - there's almost 940 pages to sift through. The following samplers have been taken from around the 889-900 page area - but there may be some more throughout the thread if you have a spare fortnight to browse through it Chris!

I reckon it's certainly worth rgistering and then you can drop any individuals a PM regarding information or their comments - good luck!

Old 13 Feb 2010, 17:31 (Ref:2632748)   #13
stockhatcher
Rookie

stockhatcher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCA View Post
I think your right... I have found a few pictures of a metro, must be from 94-95 or later, as theres a land rover discovery in the background. The car has Air-Jacks fitted, the bonnet came off as a whole (as opposed to being on hinges) the red line on the tacho is at 8k as opposed to the standard 6500 I think it is. The rear spoiler seems a lot bigger as well!! there is a side exit exhaust, and the wheels are completely different!!

I also found out that Tony Pond was a guest driver in 1993 in 2 of the international rallies in the Tate and Lyle sponsored car. Aparently it looked just like a tub of golden syrup, with the green and gold!!!

Rgds

ChrisAstley
seem to remember that the great Pondy finished 10th on the '93 Ulster in that car. There is some on board footage of him driving the car in the TG british rally review of the same year.
Old 13 Feb 2010, 20:48 (Ref:2632824)   #14
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
registration sent!! I am sure there will be a few evenings spent filtering through the pages once my registration has been accepted... Thanks for all the help so far!

ChrisAstley
Old 19 Mar 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2655474)   #15
drj1910
Rookie

drj1910 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hi, i bought the car that Gilley Handley used on the challenge and John Morgan`s car (J20 JAM yellow) and i also have another Metro we built over the years well out of challenge spec, information on the challenge is very scarce, but i remember spectating and it certainly looked like a lot of fun at the time.
Old 22 Mar 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2658084)   #16
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
Hi and Welcome!!

IIRC wasn't Gilley's car a red one? The Silverstone Rally School car, number plate H672 MOF... What do you plan on doing with the Metro's?

Regards
ChrisAstley
Old 22 Mar 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2658103)   #17
CJCA
Rookie

United Kingdom
Salop
So a list of cars that entered between 1991-1994 and number plates... It would be great to know where they are now as well...

H298 LOG - Chris Pope - Castle Combe Rally School

H672 MOF - - Silverstone Rally School

J20 JAM - John Morgan -

K57 UDD - Don Kettleborough - 1992/1993 Champion

H836 NOA - Paul Northall -

GSK 956 - Adam Crowton -

J575 OHP - Tony Pond - Special Guest Non-Point Scorer

G48 JOF - -

G979 RNH - -

- - Pablo Raybould

- - Malcolm Oxborrow

- - Phill Jones

If anybody knows of anymore, please add... if you cant add PM me and I'll add!!! Likewise, if anything is incorrect use the same procedure as above!!
Old 22 Mar 2010, 21:55 (Ref:2658198)   #18
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Hi Chris,

I've not forgotten you I promise! In fact I am looking at assorted issues of Rover Sport News as I type this. I don't have a scanner at home I'm afraid, so I'll take them into work and scan anything that I think would be of use to you.

In Issue #2 of the 'Rover Racing with Castrol' newsletter (mid 1991 sometime) there is a brief report which states that Ralph Peake has edged into a narrow lead after six rounds in the red Gillanders Rover supported car, a photo of which shows it as Reg No H406 GAC.

Rover Sport News Issue #1 Volume #1 (early 1991) shows the 216 GTi and Metro GTi on the front cover. The plain white Metro is also shown lapping what looks like Castle Combe in the hands of the late great (no question!) Tony Pond, Reg No G507 KUY.

Rover Sport News Issue #2 Volume #1 has a brief update of the series which includes a few photos. Malcolm Oxborrow is shown in a plain grey unliveried car, Reg No H407 GAC, a white Edwards of Stratford sponsored car (possibly Don Kettleborough), Reg No H58 TWP and a red Patons of Shifnal car which I think is driven by Lance Gilmour, Reg No H902 RNT or H902 PNT?

I'll leave it at that for the moment except to say that there are photos of other cars in subsequent issues with Reg Nos H482 CFD, 987 PMN, 6678 AD, GSK 956, H836 NOA, G979 RNH, H672 MOF, K57 UDD, G83 JOF, G703 KOB, and even a small photo of Chris Pope in H298 LOG!

For 1994 the Metro GTi Challenge seems to have been dropped by Rover as the Dunlop Rover Turbo Cup took over. They did continue with a Metro GTi Bonus Scheme, but there are no details or photos of any of the cars in anything from the start of 1994 onwards.

I'll certainly scann all the bits that I've mentioned and anything else that I find in the meantime. Sorry it's taken so long.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 09:01 (Ref:2659679)   #19
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJCA View Post
I hope to find out some information about my car that was run by Chris Pope and the Castle Combe Rally School.
Hi Chris - don't say I never do anything for you!

Here's a photo I found of your ex-Chris Pope car within a 1994 issue of Rover Sport News that I mentioned. Apologies that it's a little ropey, but it was enlarged quite a bit from the printed original - the cropping to the right is as per the original, sorry...

...is that your car?

Chris finished 4th Overall in the 1993 Dunlop Rover 114 GTi Cup in the Castle Combe Rally School / RLE Motorsport run car, and actually won the Race & Rally School Challenge outright as well!

Have you tried asking RLE Motorsport directly? In a quick www search, I have found that (if they're the same company?) RLE Motorsport Promotions was run by Roger Evans. His details (found on a 1997 Mintex National Rally Championship link - I gather he was the series co-ordinator) are as follows -

RLE Motorsport Promotions
PO Box 15
Bridgend CF31 3YD
Tel: 01656 650228
Fax: 01656 650002
Email: rle.m3 @ lineone.net (remove gaps before sending email)

I have no problem posting Roger's contact details on here as they are already out there in the public domain - I have merely reposted them. Just bare in mind that these contact details are 13 years old so could well be out of date - it may also not even be the same company! - but I'd certainly give them a try Chris.

Good luck.
Old 25 Mar 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2659781)   #20
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Having some lunch at work at the moment so I've found a few moments 'between bites!' to post the remainder of my Rover Sport News scans I mentioned. In each case I have stated the year and issue number so that it makes a little more sense. Enjoy...

'Rover Racing with Castrol' newsletter : Issue #2 (mid 1991 sometime?) -
Attached Thumbnails
1 Rover Castrol News-1.jpg  
Old 25 Mar 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2659783)   #21
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
'Rover Sport News' : Issue #1 Volume #1 (1991) -
Attached Thumbnails
2 RSN Iss1Vol1_1.jpg   3 RSN Iss1Vol1_2.jpg  
Old 25 Mar 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2659785)   #22
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
Rover Sport : letter detailing 1991 programmes, and sticker (not sure if this is 1991 though?) -
Attached Thumbnails
Rover Sport 1991 Letter.jpg   Metro GTi Sticker.jpg  
Old 25 Mar 2010, 12:51 (Ref:2659786)   #23
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
'Rover Sport News' : Issue #2 Volume #1 (1991) -
Attached Thumbnails
4 RSN Iss2Vol1_1.jpg   5 RSN Iss2Vol1_2.jpg   6 RSN Iss2Vol1_3.jpg  

Old 25 Mar 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2659788)   #24
MG Rover Sport