Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 13 Jan 2012, 22:49 (Ref:3011421)   #326
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
OK so Ross Cameron - what car is that he is driving?
ex Dave Stewart Commodore
Old 14 Jan 2012, 00:41 (Ref:3011450)   #327
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well there must be a problem somewhere because in this mornings practice he was 9th out of nine cars, 10.7 seconds off the pace.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 01:10 (Ref:3011456)   #328
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
was the problem.. wet stuff falling from the sky?
Old 14 Jan 2012, 01:33 (Ref:3011458)   #329
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Given all his single-seater and tin-top experience (as you pointed out), I was a little surprised to be honest. I certainly don't want to point the finger at the driver because I don't know how he drives, but if it was raining in practice, it was the same for everyone.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 03:29 (Ref:3011473)   #330
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
LOL but that's what you did
Old 14 Jan 2012, 04:20 (Ref:3011479)   #331
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand

I don't think so. I said "Well there must be a problem somewhere" which would include mechanical issues, set-up, old rubber etc.

You chose to read it your way.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 04:37 (Ref:3011480)   #332
Jerico
Veteran

New Zealand
Jerico should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new nzv8

With the talk about the new MRX cars and new chassis that are being built at present, can somebody, or would somebody like to post their list of protential buyers, of the new NZV8.
Maybe if we can start with a list of ten cars and if we can fill them, then perhaps we can fill another ten to make up a reasonable grid.
If the going price is $150k for a new NZV8, then I would think you would be running your old engine and brake package, so as to keep the car within the $150k. A new fully spec'd car would I think cost closer to $200k, as does the ST and who is going to be spending that kind if money, who is not already running a ST.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 04:55 (Ref:3011481)   #333
Stockman
Rookie

Stockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
Statement from Shayne Harris, President, MSNZ - (14/01/2012)
There is a clear pathway for current Schedule TL NZV8s and there will continue to be racing opportunities into the future. The statement by SuperTourers that they plan to set up a new competition because there is nowhere for the current championship cars to race in the future is incorrect. If anything, SuperTourers are trying to undermine the very championship in which many of the country’s top saloon car drivers made their name.
Not quite what I read on the ST web site
Quote:
"There is a significant pool of these cars in New Zealand prevented from racing due to costs and we want to help get them back on the track where they belong!"

The inaugural V8Challenge Cup is designed for V8 touring cars that no longer comply with the requirements for the current national championship. Former V8 touring car-spec cars that may have been re-engined on a performance-equalisation basis will also be considered for a "technical passport" to be issued by V8SuperTourers, which is a pre-requisite to entry into the Cup races.

A series with many cost effective technical solutions to lessen the cost of running a current New Zealand V8 touring car, such as reduced engine rev limit and a cost effective controlled tyre, being implemented for the new series.

Quote MSNZ in a earlier press release on the NZV8 web site:
"As the governing body, MotorSport New Zealand is keen to see developments in all areas of the sport,..................."

About time MSNZ stayed within their role and stopped trying to promote one motorsport class over another.
I thought their responsability was administration for the benefit of all motorsport.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 04:58 (Ref:3011482)   #334
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
I don't think so. I said "Well there must be a problem somewhere" which would include mechanical issues, set-up, old rubber etc.

You chose to read it your way.
could be just an inexperienced NZV8 driver/team.. without a large budget no need to be a hero and risk damaging the car on a damp track if the driver isn't comfortable
Old 14 Jan 2012, 05:00 (Ref:3011483)   #335
Sidewayz
Rookie

Sidewayz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
With the talk about the new MRX cars and new chassis that are being built at present, can somebody, or would somebody like to post their list of protential buyers, of the new NZV8.
Maybe if we can start with a list of ten cars and if we can fill them, then perhaps we can fill another ten to make up a reasonable grid.
If the going price is $150k for a new NZV8, then I would think you would be running your old engine and brake package, so as to keep the car within the $150k. A new fully spec'd car would I think cost closer to $200k, as does the ST and who is going to be spending that kind if money, who is not already running a ST.
Why does it have to cost 200k? The whole point of the new car is so it is affordable for everyone.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 05:05 (Ref:3011484)   #336
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
wasn't $150k for the chassis with LS3/Coyote + 6 speed
Old 14 Jan 2012, 07:09 (Ref:3011492)   #337
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Given all his single-seater and tin-top experience (as you pointed out), I was a little surprised to be honest. I certainly don't want to point the finger at the driver because I don't know how he drives, but if it was raining in practice, it was the same for everyone.
I was there. It was dry for the opening two laps of practice then the rain came in big time and then cleared away for the final couple of laps and by then Ross Cameron and a couple of others had put their cars away. Angus Fogg only got his time in the closing lap/s of the session.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3011504)   #338
dip it
Rookie

dip it should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NZV8

This class is a joke,
9 cars please. Roll on some named drivers and Supertoures.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 10:03 (Ref:3011511)   #339
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dip it View Post
This class is a joke,
9 cars please.
and this is what happens when self-serving ***** fragment a class and form a breakaway series during a global recession

Quote:
Originally Posted by dip it View Post
Roll on some named drivers and Supertoures.
there is a separate thread for V8ST fans.

one of either current NZV8s (with their new car on the way) or (yet to run) V8ST classes with will fall over and die. has pretty much happened everywhere someone has decided toline their pockets with a breakaway series.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 10:16 (Ref:3011513)   #340
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockman View Post
Quote MSNZ in a earlier press release on the NZV8 web site:
"As the governing body, MotorSport New Zealand is keen to see developments in all areas of the sport,..................."

About time MSNZ stayed within their role and stopped trying to promote one motorsport class over another.
I thought their responsability was administration for the benefit of all motorsport.
Totally agree. MSNZ is an administrative and regulatory body that should not be involved in the commercial promotion of a selective form of motorsport through it's 60% shareholding in TMC.

But worse - from Shayne Harris' statement, MSNZ have now gone even further : "MSNZ owns the designs and jigs for the new car and will not release them for sale until satisfied they are ready for competition". They now seem to be putting MSNZ member's money into designs and jigs for an unproven car.

If all this NZV8 and MRX turns into a failure because the star drivers, sponsors and spectators gravitate to the SuperTourers then I suppose the poor MSNZ members will be required to carry the financial loss (again) ......
Old 14 Jan 2012, 20:11 (Ref:3011674)   #341
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
what would've your response been RogerH.. if you were in charged?

just curious
Old 14 Jan 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3011676)   #342
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
haha we have "star drivers" in this country?
Old 14 Jan 2012, 20:50 (Ref:3011694)   #343
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
By definition, yes we have.

star - a famous or exceptionally talented performer in the world of entertainment or sports

famous - known about by many people

The drivers I'm thinking of have all won multiple championships, some in both NZ and Oz, and they certainly match the criteria above.

But they aren't running in NZV8's
Old 14 Jan 2012, 20:55 (Ref:3011697)   #344
stewies
Rookie

stewies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin'joe View Post
and this is what happens when self-serving ***** fragment a class and form a breakaway series during a global recession
i have to agree, i think its funny that all the st fans are bagging nzv8 grid sizes when st itself hasn't even formed a grid yet, how many st cars are going to be finished for feb? and how many teams are emtpying their pockets to get them done?
Old 14 Jan 2012, 21:13 (Ref:3011705)   #345
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Dixon and Murphy would be considered household names.. and no doubt Paddon and Van Gisbergen aren't that far away.. but i think the tag "star drivers" gets used too often in this case you could walk down any street in NZ and read out the names of the ST drivers and many people wouldn't know who they were so the pull of the "star drivers" might be a wee bit overrated. i guess that's why Murphy and Radisich are used so much to promote that series. personally i think the cars.. not the stars draw the crowds. the Central Muscle Cars have a decent following.. yet by your definition.. no stars odd that?
Old 14 Jan 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3011710)   #346
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewies View Post
i have to agree, i think its funny that all the st fans are bagging nzv8 grid sizes when st itself hasn't even formed a grid yet, how many st cars are going to be finished for feb? and how many teams are emtpying their pockets to get them done?
have any been completed? looks like McIntyre's car will running next week.. but what about the rest? isn't their meant to be an open test session before the first round in 5 weeks time?
Old 14 Jan 2012, 21:30 (Ref:3011713)   #347
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
RogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRogerH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
what would've your response been RogerH.. if you were in charged?

just curious
Good question - it is easy to criticise but not so easy to come up with the answers.

Anyway, I think the problem goes back to when MSNZ first decided to bail out TMC a few years ago and ended up with a controlling shareholding in exchange for their financial "assistance". In my mind MSNZ should never have become commercially involved in motorsport and all the current issues originate from this.

MSNZ have got so much invested in TMC (over $1m at last count) I think it influences decisions they make. Irrespective of whether the NZV8/MRX or SuperTourer factions are right or wrong, MSNZ should not be directly involved commercially. MSNZ can sell the rights to a commercial entity to run Tier 1 championship events but that should be the end of it. If the rights holder for Tier 1 fails then they would be in breach and MSNZ would be able to re-tender the rights to another party.

The problem we have now is that MSNZ members may be faced with putting good money after bad if NZV8/MRX fails. If I was MSNZ I would look to exit from a commercial involvement as a matter of principle and perhaps utilise the situation of TMC being unable to provide a championship grid in NZV8s as the breach (my understanding is the a MSNZ Championship requires a minimum of 15 entries at 75% of events in a Championship Series).

In any event, it has turned into a potentially sad time for NZ motorsport when the premier series splits and the parties on both sides can't sit down and put their egos away and sort something out - no one is going to win.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 21:37 (Ref:3011716)   #348
RogerH
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Dixon and Murphy would be considered household names.. and no doubt Paddon and Van Gisbergen aren't that far away.. but i think the tag "star drivers" gets used too often in this case you could walk down any street in NZ and read out the names of the ST drivers and many people wouldn't know who they were so the pull of the "star drivers" might be a wee bit overrated. i guess that's why Murphy and Radisich are used so much to promote that series. personally i think the cars.. not the stars draw the crowds. the Central Muscle Cars have a decent following.. yet by your definition.. no stars odd that?
Maybe the difference between the cars being the stars and the drivers being the stars is something to do with the structure of the series. If the cars in a series are all different (like Central Muscle Cars) then they are the point of difference - therefore the cars are the stars. However, with NZV8 and SuperTourers the cars are effectively identical and so the point of difference is the drivers - hence the drivers are the stars.
Old 14 Jan 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3011717)   #349
smokin'joe
Veteran

smokin'joe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
If all this NZV8 and MRX turns into a failure because the star drivers, sponsors and spectators gravitate to the SuperTourers then I suppose the poor MSNZ members will be required to carry the financial loss (again) ......
...........unless they sell the chassis for someone to build a grouse GT car. sure, they will take a hit if they do have to sell it, but they are only doing what was set out in the blueprint for V8 racing in NZ/OZ, until someone stole the DNA and decided to create their own sandpit to play in.
MSNZ/TMC/VEEGA/AVESCO knew that the shelf life of the current chassis was limited, so went forth to create some new excitement. once the realisation dawned that this new chassis would be successful in NZ, it was decided by some of those (who used MSNZ money to investigate/design the new car) to steal the concept and tweak it a wee bit to line their own pockets .
Old 14 Jan 2012, 21:38 (Ref:3011718)   #350
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
In any event, it has turned into a potentially sad time for NZ motorsport when the premier series splits and the parties on both sides can't sit down and put their egos away and sort something out - no one is going to win.
agree!