Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:52 (Ref:1450586)   #1
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2006 - upsets

In 2006 who are the drivers who you think could score an upset win?

Could DC find form in his Red Bull and score a win after so very long? Could Rubens fight schumacher in his Honda and snatch a win?

Thoughts?
Old 2 Nov 2005, 16:59 (Ref:1450594)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think we would need to wait until the start of the European season, in order to have an idea of the relative competitiveness of the teams, before making that comment in terms of which drivers/teams.

But, once that is known, thus who/which would be an "upset", then the answer is ANY of them COULD.

Which will/might?

That's what watching the season is for, :-p.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:01 (Ref:1450599)   #3
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm not sure what can be called an "upset", but the 2 drivers that come to mind are Button and Massa.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:02 (Ref:1450600)   #4
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dutton - nice answer. You should lock the thread now.

There is such a thing as pre-race expectations.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1450610)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The drivers you would expect to win I guess are Alonso, Kimi, JPM, Michael and Fisichella. At this point, wins from anyone else could be classed as 'upset', but it may be that Massa, Honda and Toyota all show in pre-season testing that they have the pace to win. As for anyone else, DC and Webber aren't inconcievable, and would be 'upsets' no matter how fast they are in testing.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1450612)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Right, okay, then, I will go for a shock win from Jacques.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:30 (Ref:1450640)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
By its very nature, an upset win is surely impossible to predict?

Oh, Dutton said that already...

Er...

I predict a comeback for, um, Eddie Irvine, who will score a shock win in a... er... Fiat hire car.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1450655)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What, a Ferrari F2005?
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1450659)   #9
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Right, okay, then, I will go for a shock win from Jacques.
Wouldn't that be sweet!!

I suppose the early going could be quite unpredictable. I hope so.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1450665)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
The most likely unlikely winner, if I can put it like that, I think will be Heidfeld.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1450676)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I'm not saying they're going to win,but watch for the STR boys finishing in the points on a regular basis.They'll have an ultra reliable V10 engine that in its detuned form they'd probably need only one to last all season and it should also prove pretty handy at twisty circuits.Only the drivers to spoil things really.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1450736)   #12
happyhammer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Poole
happyhammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button will get a race win. I wouldn't be upset, mind. I hope DC gets one as well, doubt it though.
Old 2 Nov 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1450797)   #13
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
first honda winner will not be Button but Reubens "my favorite sandwich" Barrichello

for those who dont know a reuben sandwich is corned beef, swiss cheese, topped with sauerkraut and thousand islands dressing on rye bread and then grilled - and no i didn't make it up!
Old 4 Nov 2005, 06:07 (Ref:1451835)   #14
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
My money for a shock win is on Nico.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 06:34 (Ref:1451841)   #15
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My money is on Ralf and Trulli scoring a 1-2 finish for Toyota to score their first win.

In the early rounds too.
Old 4 Nov 2005, 06:47 (Ref:1451844)   #16
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest shock win of the year will be M Webber, Cosworth are more than capable of producing the goods. (Long history with V8's and very good performance in the Red Bull cars this year) Webber is a good qualifier and is capable of starting near the front in most races with the right equipment of course. Or maybe the biggest shock of the year will be Webber making it past the first corner in every GP in 06! No that want happen…
Old 6 Nov 2005, 23:54 (Ref:1453766)   #17
SpawnyWhippet
Veteran

United Kingdom
Singapore
SpawnyWhippet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Webber has a bigger challenge on his hands with Nico than he expects. I am betting that by the end of 2006 they will be alternating with outqualifying each other and race result positions.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 05:58 (Ref:1453865)   #18
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope the big upset will be that Webber win dominate, and that even Nico, in his first year will win a few races!
Old 7 Nov 2005, 18:26 (Ref:1454473)   #19
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I seriously hope Barrichello gives button a good hiding
Old 7 Nov 2005, 22:19 (Ref:1454721)   #20
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I also hope that Barrichello will give Button a good test for his capabilities.

As an upset, I think that the Toyotas can get a win, however, I am very eager to see the performance of the V8's
Old 7 Nov 2005, 22:33 (Ref:1454741)   #21
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Villeneuve after an 8 year wait; IF he gets the BMW gig.

His 2005 performances were pretty good at times, but people seemed to have made their minds up about him after the first 4 races of the season.

After coming so close this year (Spa, still can't believe they f***ed it up), I'd kind of expect a Toyota win, Trulli at Monaco maybe. And for a semi-upset I'd expect Fisi have a much better season than 05 with a few wins in there.
Old 7 Nov 2005, 23:29 (Ref:1454799)   #22
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the biggest upset will be when Nigel Mansell, decides to come back after the GP masters and races the final race again and wins .
No, seriously now, i think we could see some surprise performances from Massa, Barrichello and maybe a win from Nico.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:18 (Ref:1456466)   #23
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SetikX
In 2006 who are the drivers who you think could score an upset win?

Could DC find form in his Red Bull and score a win after so very long? Could Rubens fight schumacher in his Honda and snatch a win?

Thoughts?
It depends what you define as an upset. I'd say the most realistic is Barrichello winning a race before Button does, and Nico Rosberg winning a race before Webber does.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:43 (Ref:1456485)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo
I seriously hope Barrichello gives button a good hiding
I don't see that happening at all.JB left his team mate for dead,as did MS.On the track JB was always battling with MS,RB with TS.

It'll take some time for RB to settle in and drive something that is on different tyres and engineered differently.

I think the upsets in 2006 are largely going to come from the cars,not the drivers.
Old 9 Nov 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1456494)   #25
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrichello settled in at Stewart, Jordan and Ferrari quickly enough, so I don't see that being a problem.