Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Oct 2011, 04:05 (Ref:2964591)   #76
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
Are you asking me? Nothing at all, in fact as NZs 2nd largest city it makes sense really. There is also the chance to redesign the CBD to make an excellent track
See... that's the kind of entrepreneurial spirit we need
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 3 Oct 2011, 04:29 (Ref:2964596)   #77
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Rugby is bad for NZ.
The thuggish booze culture surrounding it makes me ashamed to be a Kiwi.
Do not even attempt to deny that. Rugby = booze = thuggery.
I agree 100% mate. I to feel ashamed to be a kiwi sometimes becasue of it. All this thug concept behind it is just stupid, and on top of that, there's no cars involved!

NZ could have spent this money far more effictivly, by bringing the world top series to race here.

F1
FIA GT1
ILMC
Indycar
MotoGP
ect ect

And keep V8 Supercars

The worst part about the world cup, is we are going to not make a cent of it! It makes us all look like idiots.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 04:39 (Ref:2964598)   #78
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
So lets get the Team Kiwi Racing spirit back, with an appropriate brand custodian, with a Kiwi driver, and a Kiwi beer company sponsor... to keep this impetus humming....!
Good idea. The original brand is still fairly well supported by the public, but let's have a new 'brand custodian'. The current one has fleeced too many people and told too many lies.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 04:53 (Ref:2964601)   #79
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsandmotorracing View Post
I agree 100% mate. I to feel ashamed to be a kiwi sometimes becasue of it. All this thug concept behind it is just stupid, and on top of that, there's no cars involved!

NZ could have spent this money far more effictivly, by bringing the world top series to race here.

F1
FIA GT1
ILMC
Indycar
MotoGP
ect ect

And keep V8 Supercars

The worst part about the world cup, is we are going to not make a cent of it! It makes us all look like idiots.
were you and Rev picked on at school? lol

A1 struggled to get a crowd and V8SC failed at Hamilton .. so why on earth would F1, FIA GT1, ILMC, Indycar, MotoGP, ect, ect want to come here? we don't have the tracks and the interest just isn't there
Old 3 Oct 2011, 04:58 (Ref:2964602)   #80
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Christchurch could host it from the point of view of the fantastic 3.3km circuit, close to airport & logistics and would only need comparatively little money to develop more modern pit garages & corporate hospitality. But it would be a one-off cost rather than a street race that costs huge dollars every year to set up & pull down.

Probably the only question marks over Christchurch would be (1) would the Christchurch City Council want to pay the the dollars and (2) would the city have sufficient hotel accommodation that ain't munted.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 05:22 (Ref:2964607)   #81
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
were you and Rev picked on at school? lol

A1 struggled to get a crowd and V8SC failed at Hamilton .. so why on earth would F1, FIA GT1, ILMC, Indycar, MotoGP, ect, ect want to come here? we don't have the tracks and the interest just isn't there
Hell I don't know, it would just be nice for our small country to be known on the world motor racing stage, plus the government could pay for it, we seem like loosing money on a rugby world cup right? . Also to anyone who watched Gillette Motorsport yesterday, I was very ****ed they interuped for dan carters dic injury
Old 3 Oct 2011, 05:23 (Ref:2964608)   #82
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post
Christchurch could host it from the point of view of the fantastic 3.3km circuit, close to airport & logistics and would only need comparatively little money to develop more modern pit garages & corporate hospitality. But it would be a one-off cost rather than a street race that costs huge dollars every year to set up & pull down.

Probably the only question marks over Christchurch would be (1) would the Christchurch City Council want to pay the the dollars and (2) would the city have sufficient hotel accommodation that ain't munted.
And (3) would people go! I would...
Old 3 Oct 2011, 05:42 (Ref:2964612)   #83
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
didn't bother with Gillette Motorsport the program lacks a local content.. unless you count gushing about the new ST class haha besides there was a vintage swap meet, an IRC round and lots of rugby on this weekend
Old 3 Oct 2011, 05:54 (Ref:2964614)   #84
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
would V8SC want to race on airfield? i thought it was a street race or nothing.
I don't see why not. Motor Racing has a long history of using airfields for motor races and many have been successful(Cleveland) or developed into full time circuits(Sebring, Silverstone, etc.).

I found the Hamilton course to be pretty tight and small and and with an airfield the cars could race a bit and open up the throttles a bit.

This has a better chance of happening then dealing with NZ's resource consent laws making any street circuit a big issue to put on. And with a lack of a suitable circuit, sounds perfect.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2964619)   #85
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
It would be unlikely that V8SA left the Hamilton round without a viable alternative in mind, in planning, or almost agreed.

Hopefully without the negativity that has bounced around Hamilton since its inception, from the media, from the council, and all the other naysayers.
Surely V8SA left Hamilton as they didnt want to lose another $5million of next years race rather than having other alternatives at their disposal.

That negativity has been well justified in the end GTR. From day 1 this event has been on the decline.

Any new race should be looked at objectively but if criticism is deserved it shouldn't be hidden or silenced (as is common with V8SA)
Old 3 Oct 2011, 06:57 (Ref:2964629)   #86
david5
Racer

Australia
Coonabarabran NSW
david5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The airfield sounds the go to me, but I'd rather they go back to pokeamookow as it's a fast and interesting race circuit, you remember those things, back when the racing was the point of the exercise.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2964708)   #87
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I can recall the crowds of the Nissan Mobil series in both Wellington and Auckland, as street races, dragging crowds from everywhere to watch a load of local Kiwis, some imports from Australia, and some faraway names from Europe... in a vast array of different cars...
Mr GTR has hit it on the head, accidentally of course.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 09:20 (Ref:2964730)   #88
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Are you asking me? Nothing at all, in fact as NZs 2nd largest city it makes sense really. There is also the chance to redesign the CBD to make an excellent track
And the fact the the goverment will end up owning all the land in the red zone, prime place to make a track, lol.

IMO TV coverage has killed the spectators attending the meetings as you see more at home and it is live, the problem is the TV coverage is too good.
All you miss is the atmosphere.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 09:26 (Ref:2964735)   #89
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
That's certainly true at some tracks and all street circuits.
Go to a street circuit and you can't see anything.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 09:55 (Ref:2964767)   #90
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
One of the reasons I like going to Western Springs Speedway, is you can see the whole track.

But I think the reason not enough people went is after the first year fiascoe. Didn't rrust it after that.

Also seems as though NZ has a lot of car guys, but only a selct few watch motor racing, dissapointing.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 14:58 (Ref:2964963)   #91
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I know it's a long way down the list of priorities for an event such as this, but I seem to remember Pukekohe produced some excellent racing...
Old 3 Oct 2011, 16:44 (Ref:2965042)   #92
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post

I think before all the earthquakes there might have been a case for it, but where would you find the money or the backer now? The club doesn't have the millions needed to bring it up to V8SC standards as well as the infrastructure needed.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 16:49 (Ref:2965047)   #93
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I know it's a long way down the list of priorities for an event such as this, but I seem to remember Pukekohe produced some excellent racing...
The place needs a total rebuild and has safety issues. A few seasons ago, some NZV8's totally destroyed a section of barrier in a crash and went beyond it. In modern times, I've never seen a barrier system at a race track get breached so easily. Also I recall a Supercar doing the same and a Carrera Cup car as well back in the day. There might have been others.

As TC said, the owners there wanted to focus it on being a horse racing facility. I don't think there is any chance there.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2965157)   #94
Tracy
Veteran

New Zealand
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Tracy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some more info on the Whenuapai option:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/loca...-up-for-action
Old 4 Oct 2011, 03:40 (Ref:2965277)   #95
Rugz
Rookie

New Zealand
West Auckland
Rugz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have just started on a $24m upgrade out there now.
They had just over 50000 out there in 09 for an airshow, block every road for the day, took people hours to get in and out again, would need to sort that out.
Old 4 Oct 2011, 03:53 (Ref:2965279)   #96
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
Some more info on the Whenuapai option:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/loca...-up-for-action
Some things never change do they! Here
Old 5 Oct 2011, 08:10 (Ref:2965986)   #97
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
It should return to the spiritual home of motor racing.....Ardmore....they got 70,000 in there in the '50s.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 08:26 (Ref:2965995)   #98
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
It should return to the spiritual home of motor racing.....Ardmore....they got 70,000 in there in the '50s.
Sounds good to me
Old 5 Oct 2011, 12:21 (Ref:2966078)   #99
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
The place needs a total rebuild and has safety issues.
Shouldn't be a problem, there's apparently a whole heap of concrete walls and catch fencing not needed just a few miles down SH1...

Arguably it might have been better if all that money had been spent on a permanent facility that needed some money spent on it, to the benefit of everyone that uses it for the rest of the year.
Old 6 Oct 2011, 01:40 (Ref:2966394)   #100
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Arguably it might have been better if all that money had been spent on a permanent facility that needed some money spent on it, to the benefit of everyone that uses it for the rest of the year.
Thats what most of the thinking people with a long committment to the sport wanted, however as we know greed (or envy) is the cause of most problems and greedy people are only in there short time.

I feel very sorry for the rate payers of Hamilton who have to wear so much of the financial cost of this, surely that money could have been better spent on providing or upgrading the esential services provided by the city