Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 7 Dec 2011, 22:53 (Ref:2996763)   #1251
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But the one I'm going to watch is better, as Brundle is the best, EJ is pants, Martin is rubbish and EJ insightful. I pity the viewers of the other station.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2996767)   #1252
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
But the one I'm going to watch is better, as Brundle is the best, EJ is pants, Martin is rubbish and EJ insightful. I pity the viewers of the other station.
Adam, I don't always have the same outlook as you, but that doesn't matter. You do often make me chuckle though.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2996777)   #1253
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I keep calling Simon Lazenby George Lazenby for some reason.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 23:32 (Ref:2996781)   #1254
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I keep calling Simon Lazenby George Lazenby for some reason.
That's some guy from a Bond movie. I have no idea who George Lazenby is.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 00:19 (Ref:2996803)   #1255
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
So in the overall scheme of things are the majority of you happy with the choices that have been made?
Old 8 Dec 2011, 09:30 (Ref:2996902)   #1256
henners88
Veteran

Wales
henners88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
So in the overall scheme of things are the majority of you happy with the choices that have been made?
I think so.
The BBC will no doubt announce their team soon and at the end of the day you watch the sport for the content, not the voice that delivers information that is often delayed and you already know. DC proved his worth as a commentator last year and was the stronger of the pairing IMO, so hopefully whoever they choose alongside him will compliment him well. Not really bothered about Kravitz leaving as he was a minor part of the show. I'm sure they'll find someone suitable to stroll around the pitlane asking questions. So in all not so bad.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 10:05 (Ref:2996922)   #1257
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I agree with the overkill comment!

I don't agree about Humphrey. Nice lad, good modern day presenter but Rider is infinitely better in this kind of role for this particular sport.

However why on earth don't the beeb just use the sky commentary team for the races they aren't showing live anyway?!!
Old 8 Dec 2011, 10:14 (Ref:2996923)   #1258
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I don't agree about Humphrey. Nice lad, good modern day presenter but Rider is infinitely better in this kind of role for this particular sport.
Rider just doesn't appeal to the younger fans in the same way Humphrey does though. Since the BBC has covered F1 in the last 3 years, the popularity of F1 in the UK has risen significantly when compared to levels on ITV. Obviously its not all down to Jake, but he is a significant part of the show. My wife follows him on twitter but has no interest in F1, so its people like this that the coverage needs IMO. The content is the most important thing but the build up entices viewers into watching the race too IMO. Rider knows his stuff and is a longterm fan, but I doubt teenagers would relate to him as much as Jake. I suppose F1 tries to reach all types of people (well did on the BBC), and the likes of the older fans like you and me are not always the top priority.

I would have liked it if the BBc had shared commentary teams, but its not the end of the world and I'm sure the BBC will find an equally strong partnership for their coverage.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 10:27 (Ref:2996927)   #1259
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
In some ways that makes sense henners, but I also know plenty of fans and non fans who have been around when the build up is on and most of them think Jake is a tad on the patronising side...

I think most presenters can fall into this trap but it does seem to be a bit of a nasty trend amongst younger presenters who've come onto the scene in the last few years. He can get a bit carried away and the faces of the unwitting victim do seem a bit aghast!

I do like his bright and enthusiatic entry pieces and he is very good at 'herding' people into keeping to alloted talking time and stuff like that.

Rider, however being a seasoned pro has shown far more savvy and awareness when in conversation with multi-millionaires in the past!

I also hope DC is retained as main summariser and hope that the right person is chosen as lead.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 10:30 (Ref:2996929)   #1260
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
hope that the right person is chosen as lead.
The BBC will use the savings to buy up all the spare monkey-glands that Bruce Forsyth has left over and pump them into Murray Walker!

Ten-Tenths Exclusive, you heard it here first!

(Just incase it happens!)
Old 8 Dec 2011, 10:37 (Ref:2996932)   #1261
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON View Post
The BBC will use the savings to buy up all the spare monkey-glands that Bruce Forsyth has left over and pump them into Murray Walker!

Ten-Tenths Exclusive, you heard it here first!

(Just incase it happens!)
Oh my, you've made my day!!

Can you imagine Murray doing a party piece one liner in the style of Brucie?!!!!

"You know, I often get asked how Sebastian Vettel can win so many races in a season, I said it must be something in the water..... etc etc"

as EJ and DC stare at each other and then Murray in complete silence and all the engines in the pitlane shut down!
Old 8 Dec 2011, 10:38 (Ref:2996933)   #1262
henners88
Veteran

Wales
Quote:
In some ways that makes sense henners, but I also know plenty of fans and non fans who have been around when the build up is on and most of them think Jake is a tad on the patronising side...

I think most presenters can fall into this trap but it does seem to be a bit of a nasty trend amongst younger presenters who've come onto the scene in the last few years. He can get a bit carried away and the faces of the unwitting victim do seem a bit aghast!

I do like his bright and enthusiatic entry pieces and he is very good at 'herding' people into keeping to alloted talking time and stuff like that.

Rider, however being a seasoned pro has shown far more savvy and awareness when in conversation with multi-millionaires in the past!

I also hope DC is retained as main summariser and hope that the right person is chosen as lead.
I must admit Jake doesn't annoy me at all, although I read alot of people find him annoying. Fair enough I suppose, but how exactly are you supposed to talk to a multi-millionnaire? Are they a bit different then?

Jake does rib EJ a bit but he gives it back and I have only ever seen it as a bit of light hearted banter that liven's up what could be classed by new-comers as a dull show. I have always liked Rider, although the feelings of this deal are still a bit raw and him joking at the Autosport awards was difficult to find funny for someone like me. I won't hold it against him though.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2996959)   #1263
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Steve Rider is a witty man, something I felt watching the Autosport Awards, but he was dire on ITV I'm afraid (probably because ITV made him be the way he was). He and Mark Blundell batted back and forth inane questions about Lewis Hamilton for all of 2007 and 2008. He needs to be his own man, because he's better than that.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 14:05 (Ref:2997001)   #1264
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by henners88 View Post
I must admit Jake doesn't annoy me at all, although I read alot of people find him annoying.

I have always liked Rider,
I have to say, i much prefer Jake over SR personally.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 14:54 (Ref:2997022)   #1265
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
MW: 'The car looks perfectly OK except for that it's on fire. Now we shall see which of the fire marshals can put the fire out first. Good game! good game!'
Old 8 Dec 2011, 15:43 (Ref:2997043)   #1266
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
A couple of random facts that I discovered yesterday. The BBC have been taking 50 people to each race. Sky will be taking 80!

Also, although the BBC will not be covering all the races live next year, they will still have a presence, including the lead commentator, at every race.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 15:47 (Ref:2997045)   #1267
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Put me in the Rider camp too. Jake annoys me as well. From what I've seen/know of Lazenby, he's from a similar school as Jake but less of the kids TV aspect, so likely to be something in between, which is probably for the best

Also I totally don't get the anti-Murdoch thing. I mean, I do get it, but if you're not going to get Sky because of Murdoch, I assume you don't shop in any supermarkets, never visit any fast foot outlets, don't travel on First or Stagecoach buses or Virgin trains, only eat meat not produced by unethical and battery farms, and don't buy any Nike or Adidas clothing. In fact, why are you even interested in F1, a sport whose boss has openly sided with authoritarian dictators? No one's whiter than white in business - I hate what News Corp has done but if we start living our lives like that, we'll end up living on our own in the jungle living off the land. Which means no internet too

I've been down the moral lefty route myself. It's just not realistic - it doesn't work in the year 2011
Old 8 Dec 2011, 15:49 (Ref:2997046)   #1268
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I hate what News Corp has done but if we start living our lives like that, we'll end up living on our own in the jungle living off the land. Which means no internet too
But you'd have the jungle telegraph!
Old 8 Dec 2011, 15:58 (Ref:2997052)   #1269
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

Also, although the BBC will not be covering all the races live next year, they will still have a presence, including the lead commentator, at every race.
It does make me wondr how taking a fair amount of people to every race, even to make a highlights program, will save that much money?
Old 8 Dec 2011, 15:59 (Ref:2997053)   #1270
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
It does make me wondr how taking a fair amount of people to every race, even to make a highlights program, will save that much money?
Because they won't be paying for the live broadcast rights for half the races.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 16:05 (Ref:2997055)   #1271
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Because they won't be paying for the live broadcast rights for half the races.
Ok, and that amounts to £22 million
Old 8 Dec 2011, 16:23 (Ref:2997065)   #1272
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
never visit any fast foot outlets,
Running after those chickens is a b***h!

Quote:
I've been down the moral lefty route myself. It's just not realistic - it doesn't work in the year 2011
That doesn't mean to say that we're not all going to go to hell for watching F1 on SKY.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 16:50 (Ref:2997083)   #1273
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Also I totally don't get the anti-Murdoch thing. I mean, I do get it, but if you're not going to get Sky because of Murdoch, I assume you don't shop in any supermarkets, never visit any fast foot outlets, don't travel on First or Stagecoach buses or Virgin trains, only eat meat not produced by unethical and battery farms, and don't buy any Nike or Adidas clothing. In fact, why are you even interested in F1, a sport whose boss has openly sided with authoritarian dictators? No one's whiter than white in business - I hate what News Corp has done but if we start living our lives like that, we'll end up living on our own in the jungle living off the land. Which means no internet too

Well obviously that's exactly what Murdoch hopes you will think.

But people can do something about it and it does work. Just 100,000 signed the online petition against his BSB takeover in July and that caused Minister Jeremy Hunt to delay his approval. He was legally obliged to review each and every complaint.

That delay was vital as just 24 hrs after the petition was delivered the news broke of the hacking by NOW of the murdered schoolgirl Millie Dowler's phone. Since then Mr Murdoch Jnr and Snr have abandoned any plans to take over Sky.

And I think you'll find it's not just "lefties" as you call them who are pleased about that, theres plenty of right wingers who'll be pleased to see him brought to book too, not to mention a certain Mr. Max Mosley....
Old 8 Dec 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2997113)   #1274
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
That doesn't mean to say that we're not all going to go to hell for watching F1 on SKY.
If I'm already on my way to the fiery furnace, I should imagine I've been damned for far worse than watching Jeff Stelling getting over-excited at football scores

Ultimately, what's worse - supporting a company that is owned by the same guy who also owns/ed a company that hacked people's phones, or supporting a company that is helping cut down the Amazon? Sure, both are terrible, but only one's got the potential of wiping out humanity
Old 8 Dec 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2997135)   #1275
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:

Ultimately, what's worse - supporting a company that is owned by the same guy who also owns/ed a company that hacked people's phones, or supporting a company that is helping cut down the Amazon? Sure, both are terrible, but only one's got the potential of wiping out humanity
Quite.

If 'Satan TV'* offered all that Sky and the BBC were offering, but for free, guess which channel I'd be watching.

* Does not condone illegal streaming or the eating of babies.
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky