Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 10 Dec 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2998165)   #876
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thank you, and that all makes sense. I have watched this class closely and I would agree with you. I know a lot of the NZ drivers who have run in this series over the years and there have certainly been issues with respect to it being a level playing field. The other problem (for those of us who don't have deep pockets) is that you need to pay the top team mega (and there's only really one) if you want to be competitive. And that knocks out a lot of talent.

The NZST business model is totally different to TRS. Aside from the obvious parity with the cars (which many people seem to dislike), they should be easier to engineer as there doesn't seem to be anything really tricky about them. Just the usual camber and toe, shock settings, ride height, TP's etc.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 20:41 (Ref:2998169)   #877
GizzFan
Rookie

GizzFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by on_to_it View Post
Thank you, and that all makes sense. I have watched this class closely and I would agree with you. I know a lot of the NZ drivers who have run in this series over the years and there have certainly been issues with respect to it being a level playing field. The other problem (for those of us who don't have deep pockets) is that you need to pay the top team mega (and there's only really one) if you want to be competitive. And that knocks out a lot of talent.

The NZST business model is totally different to TRS. Aside from the obvious parity with the cars (which many people seem to dislike), they should be easier to engineer as there doesn't seem to be anything really tricky about them. Just the usual camber and toe, shock settings, ride height, TP's etc.
No worries on that front, Mr Petch used to own three of them and lost a bundle on them when he quit them back to Mr Ecleston. My mate worked on the one he lent to the Orr family for nix so he reakoned, so im sure ST's MD wont be making Bernies mistakes. Apparantly the Orrs could bought it real cheap but they reackon they got stiffed, because Bazz was giving totally free deals to his stars, because they had no money, whilst the likes of the Orrs had to pay every cent it cost, like 5 grand for a new nose cone!!
Old 10 Dec 2011, 21:49 (Ref:2998196)   #878
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I don't think there is realistically ever a "level playing field". Doesn't matter the sport, you can give people the exact piece of equipment and people will think of a thousand different ways to use it.

You can sell everyone the exact same equipment and there will always be a mechanical engineering guru that can make it work better than anyone or a driver that can figure out how to make that car work for them better than anyone.

I think if one is going to start a series from scratch I'd say:

1. Have a car that looks good, sounds good and that fans will enjoy watching.
2. Make the car simple and designed as such so it is simple to work on and fix.
3. Have a car that is a challenge to drivers, yet enjoyable to drive.
4. Standardize parts that have no relevance to the actual racing to keep costs down(safety equipment, electronics, etc.) and open up other aspects of the car that are relevant to fans and the actual racing(engines, tires, body kits, etc).

TRS I think has been reasonably successful, it certainly gave a chance for some talent to shine. I think they'll have to figure out soon what their next step is going to be.

NZST I think has done a good job in a lot of areas. Probably the main thing I would have liked to have seen is an option for a Ford related engine.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2998221)   #879
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
I meant this - A level playing field is about fairness, where everyone plays by the same set of rules with equal equipment, not that each player has an equal chance to succeed (because each driver/engineer combo has different skill sets). How can you be sure of having equal equipment when someone with a lap-top comes along, has a twiddle with your engine management software, you have no idea what they're doing (and they won't tell you), and then your car runs differently!

Anyway, that's a minor point of difference. I agree with you except for point 4.
If you open up engines, tyres and body kits, it easily becomes cheque book racing, and that's exactly what NZST are setting out to avoid.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 05:55 (Ref:2998284)   #880
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
The first two seasons of TRS had an oversubscription of drivers and an undersupply of cars.
Despite the fact that you could (can) only use the car at official TRS days interest in the class was healthy.
People invested in cars thinking this was a win win partnership.
Increasingly greater numbers of chassis' were poured into the mix with the result that despite there being around 30 - 35 chassis availible to race the last few years they have struggled to field 12 cars (intl series) and 8 cars (domestic series)

Suggestions from teams as to how to make the cost of running cars more affordable have been largely ignored by an inconsistant sel- interested series manager.

By the 4th season, none of the teams that were involved at the beginning were still involved and the cars are worthless.
Primarily because you can't own an engine and use the car car however you please. (You could fit an engine and use it but ther regs state you would never be allowed to be involved with the series again in any way, and neither would that car)

Allegations of preferential treatment were never addressed satisfactorally, both performance and financially.

TRS was a class that arrived with enormous promise and quickly turned into a damp squib. It fostered some brilliant talent and produced some epic battles but is currently focussed on international money to prop it up. It is a failure of management.

Thats why I think ST management will be analysing where TRS failed
domestically TRS has suffered from the TIN TOP mentality and V8supercars or bust approach;
I would love someone to tell me how Swift sport as a feeder class would teach a driver more than vees and f/fords technically,there's a lot of average drivers starting to come thru.

some of you will be very surprised when the line up for January is announced on monday for TRS.

Really now only serious Kiwi racers will try TRS especially if their adviser's have half a clue.

BTW there are 26 TRS cars in NZ including the test car.

Last edited by harcey; 11 Dec 2011 at 06:21.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 06:34 (Ref:2998289)   #881
GizzFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
domestically TRS has suffered from the TIN TOP mentality and V8supercars or bust approach;
I would love someone to tell me how Swift sport as a feeder class would teach a driver more than vees and f/fords technically,there's a lot of average drivers starting to come thru.

some of you will be very surprised when the line up for January is announced on monday for TRS.

Really now only serious Kiwi racers will try TRS especially if their adviser's have half a clue.

BTW there are 26 TRS cars in NZ including the test car.
Seems we need another thread for the TRS debate! TRS survives because Toymotors bank rolls it. Fact is spectators and sponsors just aint interested lets face it.

Back on thread, for sure ST is a very different beast.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 08:35 (Ref:2998310)   #882
harcey
Racer

harcey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizzFan View Post
Seems we need another thread for the TRS debate! TRS survives because Toymotors bank rolls it.
there isnt a driver in V8ST who cant afford to be or who isnt being bankrolled.about half of the proposed field are chequebook entries of dubious real talent.,nothing changes-there will be 2 performance groups quite away apart.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2998487)   #883
GizzFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcey View Post
there isnt a driver in V8ST who cant afford to be or who isnt being bankrolled.about half of the proposed field are chequebook entries of dubious real talent.,nothing changes-there will be 2 performance groups quite away apart.
You could say that about every form of sport that requires the purchase of expensive equipement. One things for sure out of the 15 drivers already announced i dont see any Ross Cameron's on board, and if there is a division of the pack it will be well down past the top ten.

Hey I just checked out V8ST revamped website, way cool, even got a time clock counting down to the first event! www.v8supertourers.co.nz

Last edited by GizzFan; 11 Dec 2011 at 18:49. Reason: info
Old 11 Dec 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2998517)   #884
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, only 10 cars on the NZV8 grid this weekend...
Old 11 Dec 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2998522)   #885
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Not only bugger all cars but they were very spread out. Made for very boring racing.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 21:00 (Ref:2998539)   #886
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
At least it's Ford/Holden racing not....... Holden/Ford badged Holden racing
Old 11 Dec 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2998550)   #887
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
At least it's Ford/Holden racing not....... Holden/Ford badged Holden racing
So you would rather watch a procession as long as one bunch of cars have Ford badges and the rest have Holden badges?

I guess you won't be going to Hampton in February then.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 21:39 (Ref:2998551)   #888
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So as soon as a Ford uses a Holden engine it's a Holden?
Old 11 Dec 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2998552)   #889
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Well they will, but that's not what Ugy is talking about.
Old 11 Dec 2011, 22:28 (Ref:2998566)   #890
KLR93
Rookie

New Zealand
Whangarei
KLR93 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha... if someone listed the amount of control parts in an NZV8 engine you would hardly call it ford or holden
Old 11 Dec 2011, 23:05 (Ref:2998573)   #891
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Hey that's weird, the post I replied to has disappeared. Clues anyone?
Old 12 Dec 2011, 00:02 (Ref:2998588)   #892
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Quote:
Hey that's weird, the post I replied to has disappeared. Clues anyone?
My post? I did a sneaky edit
Old 12 Dec 2011, 00:04 (Ref:2998589)   #893
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
There was a 20b powered Corvette Transam at the Puke round in the GTs. I wouldn't call it a Mazda.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 02:03 (Ref:2998614)   #894
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it's a Camaro body not a Corvette and someone seems to think it's a Mazda

there was talk of Cameron using a RX7 body on that car
Old 12 Dec 2011, 03:24 (Ref:2998630)   #895
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
ahh touche
Old 12 Dec 2011, 05:07 (Ref:2998640)   #896
GizzFan
Rookie

Hey check out V8 Supercars website today, the Mac Attack has ditched SBR for FPR and joins Will Davidson for the enduro's next year.

So maybe either Davo or Frosty might be in JM second entry wouldnt that be be cool!!

Hmm wonder how the Kid feels about this lets hope that he gets a ride with somebody that can do the same job as Johny like say Craig Baird now that we be a hell of an enduro pairing wouldnt it.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 06:49 (Ref:2998649)   #897
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrosNZ View Post
There was a 20b powered Corvette Transam at the Puke round in the GTs. I wouldn't call it a Mazda.
And it was FAST
Old 12 Dec 2011, 19:36 (Ref:2998883)   #898
GizzFan
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
And it was FAST
What do you call fast? like Kayne Scotts 54.5 in Petchs Dodge Viper, or 55.2 by Nick Chesters 800 HP VZ? and by the way i could be wrong but im sure the 20B rotary is still sporting the old Camaro body work. Checking Camerons times at Ruapuna, last weekend, they are way of the top Transam times, like at least 4 seconds.

Back on topic V8ST, it will be bloody interesting to see what times the St boyes get down to at Ruapuna, my guess is a low 1.25 is on the cards down there.

Mylaps showed the best time mitchels car did was 1.31.65 about 2 second of Foggies time of 1.29.6 so considering the car is supposed to weigh 150 Kg's less than an NZV8 and has heaps more rubber its got a long to go.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2998892)   #899
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Yes it is till wearing a Camaro dress.
No idea gizz, as this was Ruapuna where i think it was about 2 secs off the Kayne Scotts corvette lap time (I can't remember if he was doing 23s or 21s) But it was much faster than anything else there.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2998901)   #900
Pseudonym
Rookie

Pseudonym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GizzFan View Post
What do you call fast? like Kayne Scotts 54.5 in Petchs Dodge Viper, or 55.2 by Nick Chesters 800 HP VZ? and by the way i could be wrong but im sure the 20B rotary is still sporting the old Camaro body work. Checking Camerons times at Ruapuna, last weekend, they are way of the top Transam times, like at least 4 seconds.

Back on topic V8ST, it will be bloody interesting to see what times the St boyes get down to at Ruapuna, my guess is a low 1.25 is on the cards down there.

Mylaps showed the best time mitchels car did was 1.31.65 about 2 second of Foggies time of 1.29.6 so considering the car is supposed to weigh 150 Kg's less than an NZV8 and has heaps more rubber its got a long to go.
I heard the MRX car was soo fast the wheels fell off it!
Closed Thread