Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jun 2001, 00:14 (Ref:106025)   #1
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray's replacement

We have all heard the terrible news that the voice of F1 Murray Walker is leaving F1 at the end of the year. There are a few candidates to replace him but F1 won't be the same without him. James Allen , the pit reporter has been linked with the job but he is better suited to reporting from trackside along with Beverly Turner. She is probably the strongest suggestion that James will be a commentator next year , but I think that we need someone new in. Charlie Cox proved a big suceess on the BBC [ when we get to see the BTCC that is] and alot of commentators on tv could bore the socks off the entire USA [ most of Eurosports commentators , except julian] A good idea would to bring in Keith and Julian from Sky sports to partner Martin as they worked well as a team when Sky sports had the superbikes and it would allow Martin to compete at Le Mans if the race clashed with an F1 race.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 02:29 (Ref:106045)   #2
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
First of all we need someone with a good clear voice - the antithesis to Louise Goodman, whom I cannot understand a single word when she interviews someone in the pits. Secondly we need a comedian - Let martin give the facts, someone like that Jimmy Connolly fellow. I mean let's face it - whe did we ever rely on Murray to give us any sensible information? We need someone to entertain us with F1 and Martin as the serious backdrop.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 05:45 (Ref:106065)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I say keep Murray

I don't care if he gets it 100% wrong - his passion & enthusiasm will never be matched, and thats what F1 needs.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 07:29 (Ref:106081)   #4
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree Wrex. Murray should stay. Who cares if he's always wrong, I can work out what's happening for myself!
Old 17 Jun 2001, 11:43 (Ref:106136)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia

Sorry! Murray is retiring, and that means he will be gone. That's why we are talking about a replacement.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 12:00 (Ref:106139)   #6
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about reuniting the old Eurosport team of Allard Kalff and John Watson - Wattie is obviously bored witless by tin top racing and deserves to be back in F1. In the good old days before ITV I used to watch the BBC feed and listen to the Eurosport commentary - on occasion Allard was just as good as Murray at getting things wrong but it sometimes sounded as though Wattie was ready to thump him: there's nothing like a bit of conflict to spice up a commentary!! After all, Murray didn't get on with James Hunt at the start ...

But on a more serious note, reuniting Wattie and Ben Edwards would be better. Ben was just getting the hang of F1 commentary when Eurosport lost the rights and they sent him back to CART. Even Ben and Martin would work ...
Old 17 Jun 2001, 13:05 (Ref:106146)   #7
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Ben Edwards is THE best motorsport commentator bar none (in my view).
He is accurate, and can get excited like Murray.

Martin Haven is good, but Edwards is better.

PS I still wouldn't like to see Murray go though.

PPS I think James Allen is rubbish.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 13:08 (Ref:106147)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I have to say, I wasn't too impressed with James Allen when he commentated on the Brazilian Grand Prix. He kept talking the whole time and Martin Brundle couldn't get a word in edgeways. I've heard worse, but I've also heard better.

But I think Murray's replacement will be James Allen. I'll be sorry to see Murray go.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 17:43 (Ref:106193)   #9
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Carlie Cox from touring cars who like Murray can make any race sound exciting.......please don't let Mark Blundell have any commentry work as he is as exciting as watching paint dry!!.
Old 17 Jun 2001, 20:31 (Ref:106231)   #10
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen annoys me with all his name-dropping (I had a good long chat with Michael on Friday)...

I says get someone completely different in - how about Graham Norton, Lily Savage or Mrs Merton for starters??
Old 18 Jun 2001, 04:05 (Ref:106332)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
How about this guy who commentates for the Rugby League here in Australia? I dn't know his name, but every time somebody runs for more than 5 metres, he gets hysterical and just about blows a gasket. AMoffat knows who I mean.
Old 18 Jun 2001, 06:20 (Ref:106344)   #12
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Bounce, are you talking about Ray Warren?
Old 18 Jun 2001, 09:45 (Ref:106384)   #13
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about Jackie Stewart as Martin's partner or Stirling Moss? As long as it isn't D Eastlake with his " now that car's got a whole lot of mumbo, let me tellya" ****!
Old 18 Jun 2001, 10:28 (Ref:106397)   #14
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alan, I'd agree with you, if it wasn't for the unfortunate fact that the majority of the less-informed F1 "fans" around the world would probably say "Who's Jackie Stewart and Stirling Moss?"

The current obsession with "now" means that for most of them even Senna, Mansell and Prost are almost ancient history ...

It's a lonely furrow that we plough over on the Historic Forum!
Old 18 Jun 2001, 11:36 (Ref:106420)   #15
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny Herbert, he'd be great along side Martin. Course the realiability of the sound and picture might be affected .
Old 18 Jun 2001, 17:15 (Ref:106498)   #16
Rimrider
Racer

Rimrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get Tobby Moody and Julian Ryder from Eurosport Moto GP with Randy Mamola doing the pit thing. They have more sense of humour in their little fingers than all the 'F1 stuck up their @hole people'.
Old 18 Jun 2001, 17:31 (Ref:106504)   #17
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Johnny Herbert, he'd be great along side Martin. Course the realiability of the sound and picture might be affected .
OHHHHHH, you bloody funny bast...rd
Old 18 Jun 2001, 20:19 (Ref:106586)   #18
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Goddard
don't let Mark Blundell have any commentry work as he is as exciting as watching paint dry!!.
Oh please no...I remember his commentary on the 1997 Canadian Grand Prix (when Martin Brundle was at Le Mans) and I would rather have listened to fingernails on a blackboard than his voice.
Old 18 Jun 2001, 20:37 (Ref:106594)   #19
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think i would be perfect for the job "Oh and look at schumacher hes got punted off by montoya - good one mate!!!, oh **** im supposed to be neutral"

or damon hill: "oh and look at the williams [long pause] Oh ands its crashed out...good good (under his breath)

ah never mind im sure they wont make the decision lightly - i mean theyve got US to answer for if they get it wrong!!!
Old 20 Jun 2001, 22:30 (Ref:107599)   #20
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look no further than Tiff Needell.

Racer with F1 experance, TV exposure on Top Gear, understands cars and the handling etc plus quite an amusing attitude. He could even make an appearance in the 'guest' F1 car at times.

Simon
Old 20 Jun 2001, 22:48 (Ref:107614)   #21
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ben Edwards or Johnny Herbert.
Old 22 Jun 2001, 18:37 (Ref:108360)   #22
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murray we will miss ya loads.......

I don't think anyone could replace him - but NOT Dippy Louise Goodman, I mean come on ITV what are you thinking about... Or is this how not to talk to people.... Bring on Vicki Butler-Henderson from Top Gear... At least she has raced in her life and the drivers will fancy her, yet alone the viewers...

The best moment off Louise's history when Johnny Herb. gave her a 'wet' sloppy kiss on live tele... what a moment to remember.......

Herbert should join Martin, but I don't think he'll leave Arrows... but it would be good... But I agree with everyone else.. no to Damon Hill - to much anger towards Williams and not to Mark Blundell - he'll make use fall a sleep....

Raise your glasses to the best person for the job, who could never be replaced - MURRAY WALKER... You did to F1 what 'Bic' did to pens. Made it your own. He will be missed
Old 22 Jun 2001, 18:38 (Ref:108362)   #23
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by SL
Look no further than Tiff Needell.

Racer with F1 experance, TV exposure on Top Gear, understands cars and the handling etc plus quite an amusing attitude. He could even make an appearance in the 'guest' F1 car at times.

Simon
Yes and he could give good discriptions of the crashes as he's had loads in his time...
Old 22 Jun 2001, 18:56 (Ref:108369)   #24
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BREAKING NEWS FROM MY SECRET AGENT REPORTER IN THE PIT LANE:

Murray Walker will still be commentating for years to come. Every year, Murray Walker will commentate on the British Grand Prix and "James-Allen-in-the-pit-lane" will take over Murray's duties at all other GP's. I know rename "James-Allen-in-th-pitlane" to "James-Allen-in-the-commentary-box-with-Martin-Brundle-apart-from-at-the- British-Grand-Prix-when-he-is-James-Allen-in-the-Pitlane"

This news is brought to you by http://www.maxpages.com/lucabadoer
Old 24 Jun 2001, 17:18 (Ref:109145)   #25
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

ufff...James Allen really got on my proverbials today. Is he trying to get a contract to write a TGF biography or something?;P

Also, the amount of times he made reference to his contacts in XXXXX, etc. "I have here a computer model that an engineer handed me..". Blah!

Sod it, bring Murray back, all he has to do is make his usual noises, that'll keep me happy