Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 27 Jan 2012, 01:38 (Ref:3017562)   #76
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
It seems there's been more buzz leading up to this 24 than ones previous. Certainly there is an increase in media coverage. Could be part of the reason for the increased attendance. IMO the field is the best its been in the DP era and its the most I personally have been looking forward to a Rolex race in about 10 years.
Huh? Best field in the DP era?

By what I can tell this is the weakest DP field for years, even in terms of star drivers. I remember the years when all the NASCAR stars were there (Gordon, Johnson, Stewart etc.) all of Indy's biggest stars etc.

I`ve just checked, back in 2007 & 2008 there were over 20 DPs, that was a strong field. Compared to that this year's entry looks rather bleak. GT is obviously huge but I really lack in-depth Grand Am knowledge to tell how strong these teams are.

I guess the increased media coverage is rooted in the fact that it's the 50th running of the event, sadly the entry list can't really do the occasion justice.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 01:39 (Ref:3017563)   #77
Somatosis
Rookie

Australia
Somatosis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Im in Victoria and my guide just shows the same.

If indeed there is coverage on Monday morning its a little too late, some of us have to get up early in the morning to go to work. Urgh. I will never EVER buy Speed in Oz, dont even get me started on how crap cable is down here.

Seems that country guide is different to city (Melb is showing same as Syd). EPG on the other hand is different again, 1-8am only

Like most I'll be off to work by 7 in the morning too, so will have to record it and stay away from any results (shouldn't be too hard, certainly won't be mentioned anywhere I can think of) until I have time to watch the 'whole' thing.

Not very happy but it's still way better than nothing!
Old 27 Jan 2012, 02:14 (Ref:3017568)   #78
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The "buzz" and crowd is for the 50th. Lots of the old cars and winning cars are there, there's a bunch special events lined up and it's the 50th Daytona/Rolex 24! While it's lost some luster in the last 10 years or so, it is still Daytona; it's still the 24 hour race and it is still the kick off to the North American RACING calender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear View Post
Wish you were here.
After listening to RLM's coverage today, me too. I am itching to be trackside.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 02:20 (Ref:3017571)   #79
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The big investment GM have made in this year's race, the presence of Ferrari, the fact that Audi have shown up with a popular super car, and that theyare a media partner and have a large US fan base is also adding something. Of course the Golden Anniversary and the media power that NASCAR is putting behind it is significant.

And you don't have to be a Grand-AM fan to see how top-notch the GT field is. On top of that Grand-AM balances the cars very well and that is showing in the practice and qualifying splits.

What a fantastic event! Can't wait for Saturday...

Chris
Old 27 Jan 2012, 02:27 (Ref:3017574)   #80
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post

By what I can tell this is the weakest DP field for years, even in terms of star drivers. I remember the years when all the NASCAR stars were there (Gordon, Johnson, Stewart etc.) all of Indy's biggest stars etc.

I`ve just checked, back in 2007 & 2008 there were over 20 DPs, that was a strong field. Compared to that this year's entry looks rather bleak. GT is obviously huge but I really lack in-depth Grand Am knowledge to tell how strong these teams are.

I guess the increased media coverage is rooted in the fact that it's the 50th running of the event, sadly the entry list can't really do the occasion justice.
Agreed on the entry and the two years in a row full of the NASCAR regulars and Indy car drivers were fantastic. Those were stacked DP fields for sure.

On the GT field, you've got some teams that have been serious into the GT class of GA for a minute as well as teams like Brumos, TRG, Orbit, Alex Job and Flying Lizards, who know what it takes to get a Beetle around a circuit quickly and reliably. Then Extreme Speed, Risi and Turner have always fielded strong entries in whatever they've enter.

And just look at some of the names; there are the regular gentlemen drivers in the field, as always but there are some damn good drivers throughout the field. I am really looking forward to the GT battle, no question. There's got to be at least a dozen entries that stand a very good chance at winning.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 03:23 (Ref:3017584)   #81
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Best overall field in the DP era? I'd say absolutely. Perhaps the DP field isn't the strongest its been but the GT field alone makes it the strongest we've seen it. You don't need much Grand-Am knowledge to know the strength of Risi, ESM, Flying Lizard and Alex Job. Aside from that Brumos, Autohaus, TRG, Turner, Speedsource, Magnus, Stevenson among others are extremely well known. In GT you have essentially every Porsche and Ferrari factory driver. The sole addition of the 458s and the Audi R8 add greatly to the field. There's about 20 cars that could win the race.

On the DP side, sure I agree the field is not huge. But most of the cars lost were at the back end of the grid. Aside from 3-4 entries, the rest can win the race. I don't care much at all for the Nascar guys, they don't add anything for me personally. I'm as big an ACO/WEC/ALMS guy as anyone here, but this is as good a Grand-Am field as I've seen in a while. You're of course free to disagree.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 04:42 (Ref:3017601)   #82
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT grid is stuffed like a turkey. Trodden with factory drivers. Its impressive. I hope it gets proper coverage this year. There might actually be battles all throughout with so many top flight pilots.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 16:45 (Ref:3017859)   #83
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Infield at capacity:

Quote:
Daytona President Joie Chitwood just told me they shut down the infield about 30 minutes ago because they've run out of space. Insane.
@marhsallpruett via twitter
Old 27 Jan 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3017863)   #84
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Where's this sudden interest coming from? Even NASCAR is fighting lowering attendance lately... very surprising.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 17:13 (Ref:3017868)   #85
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Where's this sudden interest coming from? Even NASCAR is fighting lowering attendance lately... very surprising.
Even though it looks new and impressive, we must understand that it is the Daytona infield and they can only fit so many because of the way the course goes through the "infield". In addition, the infield contains all the normal "vendors" and hospitality areas and probably some extras due to the 50th; there are still thousands of "seats" and parking places available at the Speedway. I went 5 or 6 years ago, and the infield was considered "full" by race day, too.

50th anniversary has brought some drivers that haven't been in years, and I am sure that there is a number of Floridians in attendance that haven't been in years. They will all be pulling for Hurley Haywood and EFR.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 21:04 (Ref:3017946)   #86
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Consider yourself lucky that you won't have to listen to the "Scott Pruett is the second coming of Christ" and "Chip Ganassi is God" commentary on SPEEDTV.
We all know that is not possible as Tim Tebow is the second coming of Christ.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3017949)   #87
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Even though it looks new and impressive, we must understand that it is the Daytona infield and they can only fit so many because of the way the course goes through the "infield". In addition, the infield contains all the normal "vendors" and hospitality areas and probably some extras due to the 50th; there are still thousands of "seats" and parking places available at the Speedway. I went 5 or 6 years ago, and the infield was considered "full" by race day, too.

50th anniversary has brought some drivers that haven't been in years, and I am sure that there is a number of Floridians in attendance that haven't been in years. They will all be pulling for Hurley Haywood and EFR.
^ This. The infield is always full and parking is a *****. I'm sure the 50th anniversary has attracted some additional fans too.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 21:11 (Ref:3017952)   #88
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Who's he driving for?
Old 27 Jan 2012, 21:12 (Ref:3017953)   #89
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post

God Bless.
Old 27 Jan 2012, 21:22 (Ref:3017956)   #90
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just as a sidekick:

Remember to join the 10-Tenths Chatroom as warm-up and under the race:
10-Tenths Chatroom
Old 27 Jan 2012, 21:29 (Ref:3017961)   #91
RoeDent
Racer

Wales
Wales
RoeDent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Just as a sidekick:

Remember to join the 10-Tenths Chatroom as warm-up and under the race:
10-Tenths Chatroom
I'll be there! Moar 24-hour race chat partying! Don't forget to bring drinks & snacks!

I must admit I'm not struck on the pre-race schedule for this race. Usually in endurance races we get a large chunk of on-track action with the various practice and qualifying sessions. Here, you only got 15 minutes per class in which to set your qualifying time. The longest practice session was just 1 hour. It was all too 'bitty' for my liking, if you know what I'm saying.

Last edited by RoeDent; 27 Jan 2012 at 21:58.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 00:13 (Ref:3018006)   #92
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
any link for live streaming?
Old 28 Jan 2012, 00:46 (Ref:3018010)   #93
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Marco Andretti will join Starworks Motorsport in the #2.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 01:32 (Ref:3018015)   #94
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
any link for live streaming?
I am looking but can only find the Magnus Racing stream which is not the same but it's something.

As posted before:
http://www.ustream.tv/liveatdaytona#..._medium=social

Not sure what this will have when the race comes: http://stream.speedtv.com/rolex24
Old 28 Jan 2012, 02:15 (Ref:3018020)   #95
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
^in addition to Magnus, Turner Motorsports will have a live feed as well.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/turner-motorsport-live

In the states, we'll have the first and last 6 hours on speedtv, but I wanted to find some place to watch at dawn, if I can get out of bed that early Sunday morning, so was hoping to find a broadcast stream of some sort for those times too.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 02:23 (Ref:3018021)   #96
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe any in part not on TV will be streamed at speed.com with RLM commentary if I understood the press release correctly.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 09:50 (Ref:3018085)   #97
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Big update to the Ten-Tenths supported Rolex 24 Daytona Spotter Guide tonight/this morning. Updated driver pairings as per the official entry list (+ the revised #2 Starworks drivers) and updated a number of liveries including some new designs. Little bit limited by photos available, but think I have captured everything.

http://www.spotterguides.com

Thanks for the support with this, already proved very popular
Old 28 Jan 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3018107)   #98
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good, thank you very muchly.
Old 28 Jan 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3018125)   #99
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic Andy!
Old 28 Jan 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3018148)   #100
RoeDent
Racer

Wales
Wales
RoeDent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's finally here! Happy Raceday, folks!