Old 6 Aug 2008, 00:04 (Ref:2264184)   #26
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best of F1 since 1998? My views...

01. MIKA HAKKINEN
With Hill and Villeneuve both world champions in steep decline, Hakkinen's star rose quickly. He put Schumacher's plans for a return to dominance on hold and made sure his final years in F1 were his best.
02. MICHAEL SCHUMACHER
He has all the records sewn up, but let's not forget that three successive team-mates helped him out. He was great, but sometimes not even a team-mate was enough to keep his rivals at bay.
03. FERNANDO ALONSO
A top drawer racing driver with two world championships under his belt and bags of character. He's been the good guy (versus Schumacher) and the bad guy (versus Hamilton). Best of all, there's still more to come.
04. RUBENS BARRICHELLO
He impressed from day one with Jordan but struggled for competitive cars right up until 1999. The Ferrari drive yielded wins but Schumacher denied him a real title challenge. Nevertheless, he continues to prove himself, even at 36.
05. KIMI RAIKKONEN
A speed demon with no interest in politics or media exposure; a proper racing driver in a sense. After years of luckless attempts at McLaren a championship finally came his way - but with more titles he could've been yet bigger.
06. HEINZ-HARALD FRENTZEN
Frentzen struggled a bit in 1998 but was electric in '99. He was ousted from his Jordan seat after a while but made convincing comebacks for Prost, Arrows and Sauber. A likeable guy always battling the odds, respectably so.
07. FELIPE MASSA
Massa messes with our minds. His inconsistency is infuriating at times, laughable at others. But sometimes you just can't help but will him to win. Oddly, he's added a lot of value to the F1 show with his "rollercoaster" form.
08. ROBERT KUBICA
He arrived in late 2006 and in cars that aren't quite Ferraris or McLarens he's been wowing ever since, scarcely making an error. His progress has been great to watch. He's his own man, too; not some media puppet.
09. ALEXANDER WURZ
Some great results to his name and some ace performances as McLaren's stand-in. Always funny in interviews, too. I think Wurz adds value to the sport. He's been good for viewers; a good character. Also a big fighter.
10. JUAN-PABLO MONTOYA
A fiery character who didn't much care for courtesies. He was also a fast driver willing to take risks. He was entertaining, too - but in some ways he was more ephemeral than even Wurz, who's still around.

Some who I considered included Hamilton (a guy who doesn't much interest me, despite his obvious speed), Verstappen (a revelation in the Arrows) and Coulthard (he's won a lot for someone with no title to his name - but ultimately harps on too much for my liking!).
Old 6 Aug 2008, 00:29 (Ref:2264195)   #27
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It really depends on what your basis for best is really.
I've put Michael Schumacher at the top, but for me he wasn't the absolute fastest, nor the most determined or skilled racer. But as a complete package it's really hard to choose anyone else. Hamilton and Alonso are still lacking in a certain confidence, and Kimi is too lazy.
I also have some understated drivers in there, because I feel circumstance has made it difficult for them to prove their worth.

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Mika Hakkinen
3. Fernando Alonso
4. Mark Webber
5. Kimi Raikkonen
6. Lewis Hamilton
7. Rubens Barrichello
8. Robert Kubica
9. Jarno Trulli
10. Juan Pablo Montoya
Old 6 Aug 2008, 22:32 (Ref:2264823)   #28
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Michael Schumacher
2. Mika Hakkinen
3. Jean Alesi
4. Fernando Alonso
5. Kimi Raikkonen
6. Robert Kubica
7. Rubens Barrichello
8. Eddie Irvine
9. David Coulthard
10. Jacques Villeneuve

(11. Jos Verstappen, for his brilliant rain races in Malaysia and Canada)
Old 7 Aug 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2265439)   #29
doug911
Racer

United Kingdom
York
doug911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I respect everyones entitled to their opinion on this subject I cant understand anyone leaving Hamilton out of the top ten after what he's done in his first season and a half! I've never seen a F1 debut like it in the 35 years I've been watching GP's!!

Ask this same question this time next year and I'm sure he'll be even higher!!

1. Schumacher
2. Hakkinen
3. Raikkonen
4. Alonso
5. Hamilton
6. Barrichello
7. Montoya
8. Kubica
9. Hill
10. Coulthard
Old 7 Aug 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2265491)   #30
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best complete drivers-
1.M.Schumacher (unfortunately)
2.Hamilton
3.Alonso
4.Mika
5.Kimi
6.Kubica
7.JPM (I wish I could put him higher but I cant justify it)
...eh..
8.Webber
9.Barichello
10.<long pause>.........<very long pause>....Oh yeah,Button.He'll do
(11.Sato )

Favourite 10-
1.Kimi
2.hamilton
3.JPM
4.The Hakk
5.Kubica
6.Sato
7.Webber
8.Alesi
9.Alonso
10.M.Schumacher
Old 7 Aug 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2265542)   #31
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1. Schumacher
2. Alonso
3. Hakkinen
4. Raikkonen
5. Barrichello
6. Coulthard
7. Hamilton
8. Irvine
9. Massa
10. Montoya

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 8 Aug 2008, 20:25 (Ref:2266051)   #32
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To the guy who said everyone should put Hamilton in their top ten: how do you figure Damon Hill was one of the best ten drivers in the last ten years (which for some reason began eleven years ago, in 1998 )? He won at Spa in '98, granted - but by and large he was below par and in 1999 he was terrible (completely blown away by a one Heinz-Harald Frentzen, a man I cannot believe you haven't included!).
Old 8 Aug 2008, 21:12 (Ref:2266081)   #33
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I agree that Hill can't be included - his career was really coming to an end in the late 90s, even if you include 98 and that brilliant win at Spa. The past 15 years, yes, but not the past 10.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 9 Aug 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2266401)   #34
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well. That is some list Bononi. And for the others who are ranking Lewis Hamilton number one...

No offense, but if you aren't going to include Michael Schumacher (and I would just love to read the explanation) and you are going to include Lewis Hamilton because of his "potential," then that invalidates the notion that much if any thinking is going on here.

I mean, my God, Alesi won what - ONE race? Then Webber and OP ahead of Michael? It is either a wind-up....or you forgot to include Alex Yoong and Cristiano DaMatta...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 Aug 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2266423)   #35
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Schumacher
Alonso
Hakkinen
Raikkonen
Montoya
Hamilton
Coulthard
Barrichello
Villeneuve
Frentzen/Massa/Ralfie Schu

I think there's cat iron inclusions, probably the top 6/7....

I've gone for the guys who were/are the main men really, I can't base this on my favourites or who was simply quick or impressive..... like Kubica who has only recently established himself
Old 9 Aug 2008, 18:11 (Ref:2266424)   #36
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No doubt some people in this thread did Allen-esque, but...come on - everyone has right to it's own opinion.

Regarding Schumi or no Schumi and Lewis or Elwis.

Please - that's obvious that Bononi's post was a sarcasm as was doug911's...I hope...so no need for being...touched
Old 9 Aug 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2266466)   #37
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Well. That is some list Bononi. And for the others who are ranking Lewis Hamilton number one...

No offense, but if you aren't going to include Michael Schumacher (and I would just love to read the explanation) and you are going to include Lewis Hamilton because of his "potential," then that invalidates the notion that much if any thinking is going on here.

I mean, my God, Alesi won what - ONE race? Then Webber and OP ahead of Michael? It is either a wind-up....or you forgot to include Alex Yoong and Cristiano DaMatta...
As I said earlier, there are a variety of criteria influencing each list, and some people's priorites may be different than others.

If we're basing it purely on achievement, then Schumacher would top every list. However, I tried to base mine on pure talent (amongst other things), and therefore I placed Alonso just above Michael. Someone else may value fair play above all else and exclude Schumacher from their list entirely. So be it.

All's fair in love and lists.
Old 9 Aug 2008, 20:48 (Ref:2266483)   #38
doug911
Racer

United Kingdom
York
doug911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that some of the biggest critics have not posted a list themselves

Ho hum...it's all good fun
Old 9 Aug 2008, 22:38 (Ref:2266568)   #39
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton on peoples' lists because of his potential? News flash - he has already been closer to winning a world championship than Coulthard or Barrichello ever managed and has already won more races than Montoya or Ralf did in their whole careers.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 10:04 (Ref:2266699)   #40
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1. Michael Schumacher
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Kimi Raikkonen
4. Mika Hakkinen
5. Rubens Barrichello
6. David Coulthard
7. Juan-Pablo Montoya
8. Heinz-Harald Frentzen
9. Eddie Irvine
10. Ralf Schumacher
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 10 Aug 2008, 10:50 (Ref:2266723)   #41
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The anti-Schumacher sentiment here amazes me. How could he NOT be top of the top 10 drivers of the last 10 years ?
Old 10 Aug 2008, 11:11 (Ref:2266741)   #42
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The 'Top Ten Drivers' were often complimented by the 'Top Two Cars'.But here goes anyway.

1.M.Schumacher
2.F.Alonso
3.M.Hakkinen
4.J.P.Montoya
5.K.Raikkonen
6.J.Button
7.M.Webber
8.J.Villeneuve
9.R.Barrichello
10.D.Coulthard
Old 10 Aug 2008, 11:17 (Ref:2266745)   #43
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Some of the "biggest critics" are still in shock that Michael could be left off or that Lewis could be considered (after 1.5 seasons) the best of the last ten seasons...

That said:

1) Michael Schumacher
2) Fernando Alonso
3) Mika Hakkinen
4) Kimi Raikkonen
5) JP Montoya
6) J Villenueve
7) H-H Frentzen
8) D Coulthard
9) R Barrichello
10) L. Hamilton

Oh, and thanks for the newsflash Raven in re: Lewis. No offense, but when I see him take a midfield car and win with it, as Ralf, Michael, JPM and a number of others have, then I will know he has "arrived."
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 14:27 (Ref:2266814)   #44
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC

Oh, and thanks for the newsflash Raven in re: Lewis. No offense, but when I see him take a midfield car and win with it, as Ralf, Michael, JPM and a number of others have, then I will know he has "arrived."
None of those drivers ever won with a car that was truly midfield. MS couldn't win a race in 2005 with the 3rd fastest car.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 15:20 (Ref:2266828)   #45
chris borg
Rookie

chris borg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Top ten Drivers:

1.lewis.Hamilton
2.Fernando.Alonso
3.Mikka.Hakinen
4.Michael.Schumacher
5.Kimi.Raikoinen
6.Jacques.Villeneuve
7.J.P.Montoya
8.Robert.Kubica
9.David.Coulthard
10.Reuben.Barricello

Without a shadow of a doubt my all time great remains,the late Aryton.Senna.

Best Regards,

Chris.Borg.(buddy)

Malta.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2266839)   #46
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
The anti-Schumacher sentiment here amazes me. How could he NOT be top of the top 10 drivers of the last 10 years ?
Some people, myself included, just don't like the guy, but I agree that on results alone it's hard not to put him top of the list.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2266856)   #47
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven
None of those drivers ever won with a car that was truly midfield. MS couldn't win a race in 2005 with the 3rd fastest car.
Interesting. But you rate Hamilton # 1 in the last ten years driving a car that has never been less than the second fastest.

By your own point of discussion to devalue Michael Schumacher's accomplishments (as well as the other driver's), you somehow missed the opportunity to do the same for Lewis.

Interesting.

I seriously doubt that anyone here could argue that the first few years in a Ferrari for Michael, or any year in which JPM was in a Williams that either car was "dominant."
Old 10 Aug 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2266859)   #48
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Some people, myself included, just don't like the guy, but I agree that on results alone it's hard not to put him top of the list.

The poll question is: "Top 10 drivers of the last 10 years (98 - 08)" not: "Which driver do you like the most from the last 10 years." Two very different questions.
Old 10 Aug 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2266876)   #49
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
My thoughts on the subject..

1. Michael Schumacher
2. Mika Hakkinen
3. Fernando Alonso
4. Kimi Raikkonen
5. Juan Pablo Montoya
6. Jean Alesi
7. Lewis Hamilton
8. Rubens Barrichello
9. Heinz-Herald Frentzen
10. Ralf Schumacher

I had to include Jean Alesi in my list, because for me he was just so fantastic to watch...
Old 10 Aug 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2266883)   #50
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
tbh this is who YOU means it is fully each persons on opinion

Who's to say someone elses OPINION is wrong