Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 30 Aug 2010, 01:39 (Ref:2752092)   #176
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Speed coverage was a bit odd. during the 1st hour of the race they barely showed the leaders of any of the classes. That has to be pretty hard to do with 4 classes circling.
I was paying attention to two races but I thought it was the usual, sporadic coverage of randomness with too many commercials and "tech tips"/in race coverage commercials.

As you stated, 4 classes is not easy to cover, and on top of keeping the sponsors happy, SPEED's coverage is schizophrenic, at best.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 01:47 (Ref:2752094)   #177
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Wow, anybody else catch how high the rear wheel from the Porsche bounce? Had to be 10+ feet off the ground. Amazing how tough those Porsches are, after that hit and spin, he opened the door to get out like he was in pitlane.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 02:02 (Ref:2752095)   #178
David
Racer

United States
Noblesville, IN, USA
David should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Amazing how tough those Porsches are, after that hit and spin, he opened the door to get out like he was in pitlane.
Don't try that in your Daddy's 911SC, kids. A hundred or so feet of steel tubing roll cage probably helped, too.

About 13.7 billion years ago I heard a very loud noise - did you hear it?
Old 30 Aug 2010, 02:38 (Ref:2752097)   #179
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
With the timing of the tape delayed race, Speed may as well have known that something big would happen. At least the race got past half way before it was called, and with the different speed of cars and the pro-am LMPC and GTC line up, I was surprised that the race was clean as it was until the Cocker/Porsche dust up knocked down the guardrail.

Just wait until Petit, and I wonder if Peugeot's more impatient drivers watched today, because a miscalculation like that can ruin their race with a damaged car just as easy.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 02:40 (Ref:2752098)   #180
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm just finishing watching the race off of my DVR after spending the day at the NYS fair and it is a shame this race ended under yellow. That was a really hard shunt by the GTC car, good to see the driver walk away seemingly unharmed, just another accident caused by a prototype driver plowing his way past a gt car. Just a quick question, the intro of the Speed coverage mentions this is the fastest track ALMS visit, but what is this based on, Top speed overall, or average speed over a complete lap?
Old 30 Aug 2010, 02:48 (Ref:2752099)   #181
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by villamas View Post

Glad that Hines is ok, that was a very big hit.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 02:52 (Ref:2752101)   #182
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was a really bad move by Cocker...I wonder if there will be some action taken against him or the team.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 04:36 (Ref:2752121)   #183
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend540 View Post
I'm just finishing watching the race off of my DVR after spending the day at the NYS fair and it is a shame this race ended under yellow. That was a really hard shunt by the GTC car, good to see the driver walk away seemingly unharmed, just another accident caused by a prototype driver plowing his way past a gt car. Just a quick question, the intro of the Speed coverage mentions this is the fastest track ALMS visit, but what is this based on, Top speed overall, or average speed over a complete lap?
It's average lap speed and they are mistaken. Road America is slightly quicker. Road Atlanta is almost the same speed too.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 06:28 (Ref:2752141)   #184
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its interesting. The on and off track shenanigans between dyson racing and compuware corvette racing this weekend. First the incident in Qualifying. Then the incident in the race followed by the corvette's retaliation. Plus the one pitlane altercation we saw between chris dyson and the corvette driver. I can't imagine what we missed between the drivers of the two teams after the raceday incident. The pitstalls for the two teams are right next to each other.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 06:45 (Ref:2752144)   #185
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
Plus the one pitlane altercation we saw between chris dyson and the corvette driver.
What happened there?
Old 30 Aug 2010, 07:02 (Ref:2752149)   #186
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiend540 View Post
Average lap speed I believe.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 08:06 (Ref:2752165)   #187
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcat View Post
That was a really bad move by Cocker...I wonder if there will be some action taken against him or the team.
No mass postings calling for Cocker to be hung, drawn and quartered a la Ad at Le Mans. Porsche fans gonna burn the Lola factory down.

But wait - Hines not driving a Corvette so I guess everything's alright then.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 09:31 (Ref:2752198)   #188
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
#8 car penalised 90 seconds for avoidable contact, JC had just broken the lap record charging back from impossible position after another Drayson incident. Very bad luck on #48, video shows the contact was not all that heavy, no damage on the Lola but just enough to throw Hines at the wall in an area with no run off.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 10:05 (Ref:2752206)   #189
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat View Post
No mass postings calling for Cocker to be hung, drawn and quartered a la Ad at Le Mans. Porsche fans gonna burn the Lola factory down.

I would advise you to be a bit less "hateful" in your use of sarcasm. If you have a subject you feel should be brought up, then do it, but do it in a proper manor in which you but forth argument instead of empty accusations.
A comment like that has no home in this forum. So please keep it nice.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 10:11 (Ref:2752207)   #190
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Its a racing accident ..... nuff said .
Old 30 Aug 2010, 11:26 (Ref:2752224)   #191
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Dear God...a Bruins fan. That explains a lot!

Agreed on the championships; I like to see the champions crowned at the end of the season and not with one event to go.

With a "shortened" event before PLM, I hope for a FULL event in a month's time.
Unlike Alabama and Auburn which it seem Auburn Alums have a inferiority complex and I'm sure its the same way for Georgia/Georgia Tech. In any case in Los Angeles, we're both in the Pac 10, the only time you take sides is in the USC/UCLA game.

I'm not a CRIP but I bleed Bruin Blue - Holla
Old 30 Aug 2010, 11:29 (Ref:2752226)   #192
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
Great win, am I right that Cytosport has now tied Highcroft for LMP/LMP2 Victories this year if you include them beating Highcroft at Sebring in the LMP2 class? The championship may be hard to get for Cytosport but finishing 70% of the petit le mans is easier said than done. Cytosport may not win the championship this year but they will probably be a force to beat in 2011 even with Pickett as he seemed to be improveing before his crash. I still think IMSA will let the RS Spyder race
Pickett was not improving that was a figment of your imagination gone wild. Greg was an effective Trans Am/IMSA GTO driver in his day, man that was almost 20 years ago, look at You Tube. He's just plain SLOW now, sure faster than all of us could drive it, but now at least they don't have to run Graf into the ground to make up for lost time.

As for 2011, who knows what will happen I'm sure the family has said NO to Greg driving again, too much unknown at the moment.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 11:35 (Ref:2752228)   #193
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
With the timing of the tape delayed race, Speed may as well have known that something big would happen. At least the race got past half way before it was called, and with the different speed of cars and the pro-am LMPC and GTC line up, I was surprised that the race was clean as it was until the Cocker/Porsche dust up knocked down the guardrail.

Just wait until Petit, and I wonder if Peugeot's more impatient drivers watched today, because a miscalculation like that can ruin their race with a damaged car just as easy.
With 50 plus cars, man its going to be a barn-burner for sure and Graf was quick last year. I don't know why people assume Peugeot's drivers are all impatient and will bump people out of the way. I will happen because of the various levels of skill in the Challenge Classes, not because of what they do at the front.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 12:02 (Ref:2752237)   #194
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
Unlike Alabama and Auburn which it seem Auburn Alums have a inferiority complex and I'm sure its the same way for Georgia/Georgia Tech. In any case in Los Angeles, we're both in the Pac 10, the only time you take sides is in the USC/UCLA game.

I'm not a CRIP but I bleed Bruin Blue - Holla
None of this makes sense, especially for a racing forum.

And for the love of God, man, learn how to multi-quote!
Old 30 Aug 2010, 13:13 (Ref:2752252)   #195
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Its a racing accident ..... nuff said .
Hmm... I would say avoidable contact... anyway, good to see Hines is okay.

Old 30 Aug 2010, 14:43 (Ref:2752279)   #196
mattcat
Veteran

United States
West Palm Beach, FL
mattcat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post

I would agree.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 14:59 (Ref:2752285)   #197
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
The officials agree with the "avoidable contact" and have penalized the Drayson 90 seconds for the incident.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 15:16 (Ref:2752293)   #198
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post

Yes, aviodable contact!

The 2 incidents are totally different yet the results the same.
AD initiated a pass in the wrong spot, JC thought he was clear and moved around a car to pass and made contact. Along with Cocker not bieng a C_CK about it afterwards and trying to place the blame elsewhere.

And VERY happy to see Hines is ok.

L.P.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2752295)   #199
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
First off, Mosport is the fastest ALMS track, based on average speeds for the pole laps. Road America's outright lap record is faster, but that was set by a Champ Car in 1999. Road America's sportscar pole record is in the 136mph bracket, while Mosport's is a few ticks over 138mph average.

You could say it was 'avoidable" contact, but no real racer just says "After you, Claude", and no aspiring racer does that and keeps his job for long. Cocker pulled out when he did so he wouldn't rear-end the LMPC car. And let's face it, real racers aren't just going to back off all the time. If they think they have an opening, they go for it. The only reason we give Cocker grief for it is that it didn't quite work out for one of the other cars. From whichever camera angle you choose, Pirro's pass at Sebring, which worked, looked a lot more audacious than this. So, do we need to call the Italian onto the carpet for potentially setting a bad example?
Old 30 Aug 2010, 15:42 (Ref:2752297)   #200
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I almost forgot to mention that the Autocon team did another decent job, and kept the car together for the whole race. 3rd overall is not too bad for that ancient package.