Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Dec 2011, 00:57 (Ref:2996221)   #201
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ng-at-daytona/

Older DP's faster than new DP's in the first day of tests.
Fastest Ferrari 458 was 2 seconds off the pace, of fastest GT car, TRG Pumpelly
Audi R8 5 seconds off the pace
I'm guessing if nothing is done until the "Roar" test, we'll see serious BoP changes to suite the Ferraris and Audis after it. 6 tenths doesn't seem that big of a deal for the DPs. I guess Peter DeLorenzo was wrong (shock horror!) about the Corvette DP.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 05:30 (Ref:2996277)   #202
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
I am not an aero person, but this iteration looks like it would have less frontal downforce then the wedge type nose of the Riley, and at the same time would flow more or better air to the rear deck, slot and wing, seemingy like you would have to run less rear downforce to balance the car, and I have an overall loss of downforce? Also, how have these things escaped BHF's? I do not follow grandam so I don't know, but I guess they have escaped having the side-on lifting seen in LMP's?

The R8 is an Audi, which means they are sandbagging

Last edited by skycafe; 7 Dec 2011 at 05:31. Reason: the typo monster
Old 7 Dec 2011, 06:11 (Ref:2996287)   #203
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One thing is, so far (and we're a long way away from really quick times from the DPG3s) but they aren't all that much faster than DPG2. Of course, on the day, everything else equal, they were quicker today. Should be interesting to see how the aero changes affect the cars.

Chris
Old 7 Dec 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2996460)   #204
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...ng-at-daytona/

Older DP's faster than new DP's in the first day of tests.
Fastest Ferrari 458 was 2 seconds off the pace, of fastest GT car, TRG Pumpelly
Audi R8 5 seconds off the pace
With all the new cars (DP and GT) the teams are still learning about setup on their cars so I would expect the new cars to get faster with more running time.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 15:48 (Ref:2996536)   #205
Danske
Veteran

Danske should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Also, how have these things escaped BHF's? I do not follow grandam so I don't know, but I guess they have escaped having the side-on lifting seen in LMP's?
A few years ago a DP did get turned sideways going through the Daytona trioval headed to turn one and shook up the SPEED pit reporter by flying past the pits ten feet (so he said) off the ground. It wasn't caught on camera and the car landed on its wheels, so there wasn't that much to remember for the world at large. They do actually go fast enough to catch air if turned sideways at max speed at Daytona, but that doesn't happen too often.
Old 7 Dec 2011, 19:37 (Ref:2996641)   #206
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Daytona entry list has been updated with quite a few GT cars on it now, including an Alex Job car with Collard and Leitzinger. Can't wait to see the full list, have a feeling it will be bloated!
Old 7 Dec 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2996725)   #207
trahsub
Racer

United States
Long Island, NY
trahsub should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
The Daytona entry list has been updated with quite a few GT cars on it now, including an Alex Job car with Collard and Leitzinger. Can't wait to see the full list, have a feeling it will be bloated!
Mark Thomas from Azerbaijanis (? #1) is running the race on his own (?#2)
Old 7 Dec 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2996726)   #208
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
He's actually an Englishmen (I believe) and a higher up in some oil company that has a lot of business over there. And as always, GA-entrylists are works in progress, I am certain more drivers will be added over the next seven weeks!
Old 8 Dec 2011, 06:26 (Ref:2996850)   #209
Danske
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycafe View Post
I am not an aero person, but this iteration looks like it would have less frontal downforce then the wedge type nose of the Riley, and at the same time would flow more or better air to the rear deck, slot and wing, seemingy like you would have to run less rear downforce to balance the car, and I have an overall loss of downforce?
Oh, and one more thing I had noticed before but then forgotten about till looking at the photos of the test: there do appear to be actual functional air vents behind the front wheels on the Corvette DP along the floor of the sidepods, which I presume would help with front downforce. However, the driver comments do seem to indicate the anticipation of being at a downforce disadvantage at the higher downforce tracks. Aha, now I'm anticipating multiple front winglets on the Corvette DPs.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 13:24 (Ref:2996991)   #210
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Not too much changed in the times on day 2 of testing at Daytona, but Dagys had an interesting line about the Sun Trust VetteDP. He said they "struggled with bodywork issues." I'm not used to a car having bodywork issues other than maybe panels coming off or rubbing on a tire or something. Anybody have any ideas what this was about?
Old 8 Dec 2011, 14:36 (Ref:2997016)   #211
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the whole point of the new style DP was to get more variety in the bodywork appearance, yet it seems everyone has switched to the Corvette DP, seems a bit pointless to me.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 14:57 (Ref:2997023)   #212
picchiofan
Racer

Iran
picchiofan User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
I thought the whole point of the new style DP was to get more variety in the bodywork appearance, yet it seems everyone has switched to the Corvette DP, seems a bit pointless to me.
If by "everyone" you mean "the 4 cars running chevy powerplants", then yes, "everyone" has switched. Ganassi won't have a vette, MSR won't, Starworks won't, as well as there's still a large number of teams running prior gen cars.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2997098)   #213
Danske
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Dagys had an interesting line[/URL] about the Sun Trust VetteDP. He said they "struggled with bodywork issues." I'm not used to a car having bodywork issues other than maybe panels coming off or rubbing on a tire or something. Anybody have any ideas what this was about?
Just from that the first thing that comes to mind is fixing the P&M/Coyote Corvette bodywork to their Dallara chassis, but that's just a guess.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2997145)   #214
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by picchiofan View Post
If by "everyone" you mean "the 4 cars running chevy powerplants", then yes, "everyone" has switched. Ganassi won't have a vette, MSR won't, Starworks won't, as well as there's still a large number of teams running prior gen cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
Unless Starworks keeps the Porsche they were running at the end of last season. (Which I hope they do, because it is far and away the best sounding and most interesting engine in DP. *sneezeIamaPorschefile*) we did lose Action Express' LBP Porsche V8s. Although, it means we lost the Lozano Brothers as Porsche didn't support the Cayenne V8 program. But without Starworks, we have no Porsches in DP.

I will however point out this is year one of at least a five year lifespan for this style of bodywork. The engine makes that were in the back of DPs in 2003 were different from the brands that were in the back of DPs in 2008, which differ slightly from today.

Corvette bought into the DPG3 thing because they already had so many teams out there running Chevrolet power. Right now Grand-Am has lost the factory DP blessing of Lexus and Porsche, the two more recent factory-supported teams. Ford is stingy in everything they run and BMW doesn't want to take their involvement in DP beyond blessing Ganassi and giving them the occasional Joey Hand.

That said, BMW bodywork for me is most likely the next bodywork to appear. The rumor has been pretty consistent that Chipster and his guys are working on BMW-looking bodywork for their DPG3 Riley. Add that to the generic Riley and there is three different types of bodywork likely on the grid, and possibly four with a generic Dallara kit.

Furthermore, changes to the DP engine list could be on the way "Turbos in 2013" being a phrase that has been thrown around. Who knows if Mazda or Ford with their Ecoboost could build "manufacturer specific" bodywork with the appearance of turbos.

Chris
Old 8 Dec 2011, 19:03 (Ref:2997152)   #215
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
He's actually an Englishmen (I believe) and a higher up in some oil company that has a lot of business over there. And as always, GA-entrylists are works in progress, I am certain more drivers will be added over the next seven weeks!
He's Canadian actually, if memory serves.
Old 8 Dec 2011, 20:33 (Ref:2997218)   #216
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmk View Post
He's Canadian actually, if memory serves.

http://www.grand-am.com/drivers/driv...ies=r&did=3507

Birthplace: St. Stephen, New Brunswick, Canada
Hometown: Baku, Azerbaijan
Old 9 Dec 2011, 00:45 (Ref:2997331)   #217
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Turbos?
Old 9 Dec 2011, 00:52 (Ref:2997336)   #218
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Turbos?
Apparently on their way as early as 2013. (Having trouble locating the article, it was was an interview with Tom Bledsoe from early-summer IIRC.)

Chris
Old 9 Dec 2011, 01:02 (Ref:2997341)   #219
Danske
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
That said, BMW bodywork for me is most likely the next bodywork to appear. The rumor has been pretty consistent that Chipster and his guys are working on BMW-looking bodywork for their DPG3 Riley.
His cars are listed as "BMW Dinan" in the car number list right now, whereas another BMW Riley is listed as such. Now whether that means anything beyond mis-entered information on the form is anyone's guess. (As an aside, the chassis for the Corvette DPs was listed previously but is now removed.)
Old 9 Dec 2011, 05:28 (Ref:2997389)   #220
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonerz View Post
Apparently on their way as early as 2013. (Having trouble locating the article, it was was an interview with Tom Bledsoe from early-summer IIRC.)

Chris
wow....they HATE turbos because of the equivalency issue. Or, does that mean they will go over to all turbos then, like the generic world engine, all the same? Are they going to do the same with the GT cars?
Old 9 Dec 2011, 16:12 (Ref:2997619)   #221
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske View Post
His cars are listed as "BMW Dinan" in the car number list right now, whereas another BMW Riley is listed as such. Now whether that means anything beyond mis-entered information on the form is anyone's guess. (As an aside, the chassis for the Corvette DPs was listed previously but is now removed.)
BMW Dinan is the new 4.5L V8. Whereas the other car will be the 5.0L lump methinks.

Quote:
wow....they HATE turbos because of the equivalency issue. Or, does that mean they will go over to all turbos then, like the generic world engine, all the same? Are they going to do the same with the GT cars?
Unclear, people "in the Grand-Am paddock" that I've talked to have said that the "days of the V8 are numbered". Not sure if they meant in general or if DPs would be going all turbo.

Chris
Old 9 Dec 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2997641)   #222
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Amusing interview with Brian Johnson.

http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Rog...nson-interview
Old 9 Dec 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2997723)   #223
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Amusing interview with Brian Johnson.

http://community.evo.co.uk/users/Rog...nson-interview
That article says he's getting a 918 RSR, is that a mistake and they mean the roadcar? Because I don't think Porsche would sell that car to customers.
Old 10 Dec 2011, 10:03 (Ref:2997949)   #224
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A mistake.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 19:05 (Ref:2998876)   #225
Danske
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danske View Post
Oh, and one more thing I had noticed before but then forgotten about till looking at the photos of the test: there do appear to be actual functional air vents behind the front wheels on the Corvette DP along the floor of the sidepods, which I presume would help with front downforce. However, the driver comments do seem to indicate the anticipation of being at a downforce disadvantage at the higher downforce tracks. Aha, now I'm anticipating multiple front winglets on the Corvette DPs.
Well, other driver comments now contradict that assessment:

An All-New Game For Action Express
Quote:
“I’m pretty happy with the handling,” Law said. “It's more of a chassis difference, Riley to Coyote, than anything. This bodywork definitely produces more downforce, so we have a little bit of work to do.

“We haven't had time [to make adjustments to] the louvers and tunnels under the splitter. So it has a lot of play aerodynamically. I'm sure we can be quicker but we're not there yet. In time, we'll be there.”