Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jul 2002, 17:09 (Ref:342594)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RS under pressure

Frank Williams is concerned with RS's lack of pace compared to his teammate. http://www.dailyf1.com/en/news/news.php?id=1838 I just thought that this would provide more evidence that RS is the weaker of the pairing. Personally, I would love to see JV in his seat. Anyway RS is signed till 2004 (I think) so it seems unlikely.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 17:13 (Ref:342597)   #2
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yeah, after this statement from Frank Williams, RS is under pressure to perform. My personal opinion is that Frank Williams will try to get Jenson Button from Renault for 2004 and if thats possible he will drop Ralf. JPM and JB will make a good combination for Williams.. Ralf will probably be hired by Big Brother as his teammate.

Last edited by freud; 25 Jul 2002 at 17:14.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 17:28 (Ref:342612)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, I saw this too. Less than a week after Sir Frank was interviewed by Brundle and said that RS had suffered some bad luck but he was pleased with him. (Or words to that effect).

But to take the JB point, isn't it too late? He's signed for BAR now.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 17:29 (Ref:342614)   #4
freud
Veteran

Yeah Sorry, about Renault in my previous post.. freudian slip
Old 25 Jul 2002, 17:31 (Ref:342617)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
Yeah Sorry, about Renault in my previous post.. freudian slip
Old 25 Jul 2002, 17:33 (Ref:342621)   #6
freud
Veteran

Hmm, I see. Pointing out my mistakes makes Mallet very happy, you bad boy
Old 25 Jul 2002, 17:44 (Ref:342627)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: RS under pressure

Quote:
Originally posted by neilap

Personally, I would love to see JV in his seat.
That would be one helluva team.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 20:23 (Ref:342794)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sure would. Ralf, in my opinion, does not belong in a top team. If his name wasn't Schumacher he wouldn't be. Montoya has outpaced him solidly over the past year, and taken better results despite awful luck. In France in Jenson hadn't been doing that ill-advised 3 stop strategy he would've got Ralf, both Williams were handling badly in race trim, as ever.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 20:31 (Ref:342801)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Just read on autosport that Rafe doesn't think it matters than JPM is doing better in qualifying, i think he's missed the point a tad, as wether in qualifying or race, the first person you have to beat is your team-mate.

from www.autosport.com

Ralf Schumacher thinks that in terms of race pace there's nothing between him and team-mate Juan Pablo Montoya. In this week's AUTOSPORT team boss Sir Frank Williams voices his concerns about the German's recent form, but Schumacher believes he has no reason to worry, despite being outqualified by Montoya seven to four this season.

"I don't think qualifying is so important as it doesn't count for the points and in the races we've been close and maybe I've been slightly better," he said. "Juan's certainly doing a great job in qualifying – better than I did – but that's something that I will try to improve."

Ralf chance to prove his point comes at the German Grand Prix this weekend, a race he won for Williams last year. However, the track has been substantially altered and with many of the long straights disappearing it no longer favours BMW's horsepower superoiority.

"It's definitely going to be difficult for us as it's quite a high downforce circuit now whereas before it was obviously a very high-speed circuit, but let's wait and see," Ralf added. "But with the right tyre and weather anything could happen."
Old 25 Jul 2002, 20:35 (Ref:342805)   #10
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year he did something like that with Juan Pablo, I remember it was after Canada, and after that, he came mentally strong as he was in CART. Sir FW definetely knows when to pull drivers' strings...

PS: Anyway, I want Jacques back to Williams too !
Old 25 Jul 2002, 21:01 (Ref:342819)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
RS is very headstrong. It is good if he is right but if not then it can be his demise. RS feels that he races properly and that he does not need to be more aggressive.
I personally dislike more than his driving style.

His attitude is also atrocious. If this is the way he is in the paddock then I do not see why he is being kept in the sport. Remember how he was constantly saying negative comments about JPM when he first came to the team? He did not make him welcome at all. If it was someone like JV I don't think the partnership would have worked. So a mediocre driver and a bad attitude just does not seem good for good morale nor productivity.
But I digress...
He does need to show JPM up a couple more times this year. He really has not done it at all so far. The car is good, he is just making it too obvious that JPM is better than he is.
Old 25 Jul 2002, 21:21 (Ref:342833)   #12
Total-F1
Veteran

Total-F1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a trademark thing for Ralf at the moment - the last 2,3 seasons his perfomances have dramatically tailed off after half-way...does he just not have the psychological stamina to sustain a season-long challenge?
Old 25 Jul 2002, 23:07 (Ref:342933)   #13
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Total-F1
It's a trademark thing for Ralf at the moment - the last 2,3 seasons his perfomances have dramatically tailed off after half-way...
This year was sooner...
Old 26 Jul 2002, 05:29 (Ref:343126)   #14
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Total-F1
It's a trademark thing for Ralf at the moment - the last 2,3 seasons his perfomances have dramatically tailed off after half-way...
Comparing Ralf's WDC-points
during the first 8 races vs during the last 8 races:
1999: 19 - 16 (2.375 - 2.000)
2000: 12 - 12 (1.500 - 1.500)
2001: 22 - 24 (2.750 - 3.000)
Old 26 Jul 2002, 05:53 (Ref:343134)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I feel that JPM has raised his game substantially over Ralf, and that is what is making Ralf look bad. Bunsen wil not be available after next year as he has signed a two year contract with BAR with an option for two more years. It seems that Dave Richards thinks very highly of Bunsen judging from his recent comments. Williams, has no hold ovr Bunsen anymore.
Ralf is also signed with Williams until end of 2004, so the only one who could consider switching teams would be JPM.

Valve
Old 26 Jul 2002, 06:41 (Ref:343149)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Those Ralf stats:

1999: 19 - 16 (2.375 - 2.000)
2000: 12 - 12 (1.500 - 1.500)
2001: 22 - 24 (2.750 - 3.000)

Remember that in 2001 the reliability grew significantly, and time and again Ralf was being outpaced by JPM by the end of the season. I'm sure comparison of qualifying positions, or the inter-team battles with JPM or Jenson will tell a different story
Old 26 Jul 2002, 09:57 (Ref:343229)   #17
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aww tough luck neillap - next time Montoya joins a new team we'll make everyone give him a teddy bear and a hug so he can feel welcome

"I don't think qualifying is so important as it doesn't count for the points and in the races we've been close and maybe I've been slightly better," he said. "Juan's certainly doing a great job in qualifying – better than I did – but that's something that I will try to improve."

I think Ralf's spot on - he's done well in the races, but he`s been let done by pathetic pit work and poor tyres...in qualifying, Juan has certainly been better and as Ralf said he will try and improve his own qualifying form.

There's not much of a difference in points b/w them - they've switched 2nd place in the standings b/w each other on and off - so I dont see the big deal.

Montoya has been better in qualifying, Ill grant him that. But if you read Ross Brawn's interview on pitpass you may be able to tell why thats the case...

Last edited by Mania; 26 Jul 2002 at 09:58.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 10:13 (Ref:343240)   #18
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ralf + german = bmw
Old 26 Jul 2002, 16:30 (Ref:343496)   #19
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
RS is the one that needs to be pacified. He is the one that is constantly yapping about how the evil world is out to get him. Maybe he will make his first pass this race!

Would it not have been better for RS to have welcomed JPM, make him feel at home then kick his arse on the track? Instead he made him feel unwelcome and is getting his butt handed to him. The points don't say its all. JPM has had a lot more mishaps on the track than RS. Hasn't he only had one DNF? Monty has had to deal with failures and MS's on track antics and still he leads that average teammate of his. I bet RS had a crappy attitude with his mechanics too. Everyone speaks of how appreciative JPM is. They say he is a leader. JPM works hard to make everyone know how much he appreciates their hard work. He rewards them with pole positions and good races. Even on the last pole in France he made it so abundantly clear to his crew how much he was thankful for their hard work. He shows them that he is representing them. I bet RS reminds everyone that they work for him.

Originally I had not intended to bash home slice but it has come to that. Even from a completely objective point of view RS is underachieving. He is good at getting the car home. That is the most important thing. Now he has to prove that he is not just collecting a paycheck. He has to prove he is there to race; after all that's the objective. I don't doubt his skill, I doubt his heart.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 17:05 (Ref:343511)   #20
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Q: What about those qualifying laps from Juan Pablo? What has he got over Ralf?
FW: Definitely he's prepared to find the limit even more closely than Ralf is. He really does go to extremes.

Obviously I am not the only one that thinks RS is underachieving.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 21:51 (Ref:343654)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
It's coming to something when your team boss says something like that. I get the feeling that, if he weren't the same nationality as the engine people, Ralf would be on his way out at some point (maybe this year in place of Button, who now looks a much more promising prospect)

If we're fair, Giancarlo easily beat Ralf, Damon easily beat Ralf, Jenson was the better driver for much of the season (as a rookie), and Montoya is REALLY easily beating him.
Old 26 Jul 2002, 22:41 (Ref:343685)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap

Would it not have been better for RS to have welcomed JPM, make him feel at home then kick his arse on the track?
Maybe it's easier to welcome a driver to the team if you actually believe that you can beat him!?
Old 26 Jul 2002, 23:54 (Ref:343734)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
To fully understand the situation, we have to go back to the beginning of last year. JPM was overdriving somewhat erratically, and was asked by Frank Williams to just tone things down a little, settle down and concentrate on finishing races. JPM took a lot of flak, but he did settle down by visibly slowing down, which made Ralf look good. Then after JPM got his act together he started to drive better than Ralf, and that's when a rattled Ralf started his "I'm saving my engine" routine to justify his inferior driving compared to JPM's. (This BS was contradicted by Frank Williams, by the way).
Then this year, JPM is driving much more aggresively than Ralf, he is willing to take on SchM with his inferior Williams while Ralf can only sit back and watch. Basically JPM is racing SchM, Ralf isn't. I think the above just about sums it all up.
All of you know I was a fan of Ralf, but it is my firm belief that one must always respect one's team mate - and Ralf doesn't, and that's when he lost me.
It is no use denying that JPM is the better driver by fishing out statistics. They prove nothing. Just watch the races and you will appreciate which is the better driver.

Valve
Old 27 Jul 2002, 00:03 (Ref:343735)   #24
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I have always considered Ralf over rated. He seemed to stay in the sport when others were replaced, this I put down to his last name. Then he won a few races. But didn't race for the wins, still he held first position for the race and there you go.

My take is that he is a better driver than I thought - then considering how little I thought of him that wouldn't be hard. He is not a racer though. Where Montoya definitely is. Mr percentage plays Mr red mist. Give me some emotion anytime.
Old 27 Jul 2002, 02:14 (Ref:343783)   #25
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I liked Ralf for a while there as I genuinely believed he could become as good as his brother. How wrong I was.....

His first season at Williams was superb, but every season since then has seen him struggle more and more against his team-mates. First there was Button, who by the end of 2000 had the upper-hand, then by the middle of 2001 JPM started to gain the upper hand and this year JPM has basically dominated Ralf for most of the season.

I've also noticed some people have tried to do the usual trick of bringing out statistics to prove their point, but statistics mean nothing, on track performance does, and Ralf has been poor compared to his team-mate. While JPM has been genuinely mixing it with the two Ferraris' at most races, Ralf has done his usual trick of sitting back. And his method of driving is certainly proving to be wrong of late with some VERY poor performances.

To keep his bosses happy, Ralf had better start pulling his finger out and start matching JPM in all facets of the game (qualifying and race). Despite what people say, 5 consecutive pole positions is impressive and is proving JPM can get something out of the car that Ralf apparently cannot. And JPM's driving is not letting him down during the races, but the car. Yet it appears the other way around for Ralf.....