Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 4 May 2008, 22:45 (Ref:2194044)   #76
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
On the official A1GP website it is listed that the next round is Mugello, September 21, 2008.
I saw that and wondered if they might leave Zandvoort, but it seems there will still be a race there but on the first weekend in October.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive
I assume team GBR would become team ENG in that case...
I guess so, but one interesting point that was repeated several times on Sky today is that next year Team GBR will only have one driver. If that's right, it can only mean Robbie Kerr, because Olly Jarvis's commitment to Audi will get in the way. He was 5th overall at Mugello today, by the way, and second best Audi, even in a year old car.
Old 4 May 2008, 22:50 (Ref:2194049)   #77
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive
I assume team GBR would become team ENG in that case...
Why should it?

Perhaps DC takes over as team principle and renames it Team Scotland with no English team? After all it's only the driver that the country relates too.

It annoys me no end when someone automatically assumes GB becomes England at the mearest mention of Scotland having an interest of its own.
Old 5 May 2008, 00:18 (Ref:2194080)   #78
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am at a loss on these Team GBR vs Team England vs Team Scottland chattery. :
Old 5 May 2008, 02:37 (Ref:2194120)   #79
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The link to the Coulthard thing does not seem to work???

What is going on there? Has Coulthard looked across at Olivier Panis and decided that's what he'd like to do next year?
Old 5 May 2008, 04:12 (Ref:2194142)   #80
jackschmidt
Racer

jackschmidt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here ya go, Kiwi.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/030520...gp-series.html
Old 5 May 2008, 06:42 (Ref:2194184)   #81
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks a lot jackschmidt.

The Fisi thing might make sense, as he does already have a GP2 team, and the current Italian outfit isn't exactly setting the world alight.

Fisi is also already 'powered by Ferrari', I wonder if any chance of him being a driver/owner once he finishes with F1? Italian driver, in a Ferrari made Italian team car, with Ferrari engines...would therefore make a lot of sense for A1GP in Italy too...
Old 5 May 2008, 09:14 (Ref:2194248)   #82
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
RichardRenes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Care to gamble on the other 2?

Here are some candidates:

Aguri Suzuki (JPN)
Kimi Räikkönnen (FIN), though last I heard, Mika Salo was working on that
Collin Kolles (ROM)
Gerhard Berger (AUT)
Fernando Alonso (ESP) perhaps his only chance to become world champion again
Old 5 May 2008, 14:26 (Ref:2194428)   #83
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

back off

hope is aguri. a1gp needs japan and japan need a1gp
Old 5 May 2008, 18:45 (Ref:2194546)   #84
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know for sure whether Brands will be on the schedule for 2008/2009?

Just spent three great days there again this season but I just get the feeling with talk of the new car being on a par with GP2 in terms of pace that Brands will be deemed unsafe! Texiera didnot mention it when being interviewed and JP in his programme notes said he hoped Brands could be part of A1's future

This would be a disaster IMO if a British race were to be lost at Brands but I also wouldnot want anymore changes to the circuit!!

IMO moving away from the level of speed of the current car will be a mistake as it will rule out some venues. I realize that changes had to be made and Ferrari deal maybe guarantees its survival but the racing has been great on the whole and it may be heading down the wrong path.

Time will tell I guess.
Old 5 May 2008, 19:22 (Ref:2194574)   #85
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddockman
Anyone know for sure whether Brands will be on the schedule for 2008/2009?
Im clutching at straws a bit here, but read the last paragraph on this story.

http://www.brands-hatch.com/news/art...sp?NewsID=3747
Old 5 May 2008, 21:19 (Ref:2194678)   #86
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I would agree the at the speed of the current car should be maintained and one of my fears is that they will design a chassis which replicates the aero problems of F1 and much modern racing.

This would result in boring racing and will undo much of the good done over the last three years....
Old 6 May 2008, 02:12 (Ref:2194821)   #87
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A1 sanctioning fees

Quote:
Sanctioning fees for some events are now up to 5-7m, a far cry from season one when A1GP had to pay to race.

Really?This figure seems hardly credible as this season only Zandvoort and Brands Hatch would have generated more than 20% of this amount for the organisers.I can understand that it costs A1 $5-7m per meeting to run the show when all expenses are amortised over a full season but if any promoter is actually paying this amount they are either looking for a tax write off,being had or a government operating without due regard for how best to use tax payers money.
Old 6 May 2008, 03:34 (Ref:2194862)   #88
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Quote:
Really?This figure seems hardly credible
There are rumours of a round in a small middle eastern country that doesn't have a team. Doesn't seem to match A1GP's strategy of racing at venues that have participating franchises (therefore an interested crowd being present). I guess in this case they would be paying, and a large amount at that. Someone has also posted that a US round is possible if a sponsor for $3m is found.

Quote:
one of my fears is that they will design a chassis which replicates the aero problems of F1 and much modern racing.
That was my initial worry as well when the Ferrari deal was announced, however I was in a press conference at the Shanghai round when Tony Teixeira explained in very clear language that the number one priority for the new car is to allow the close racing that A1GP has become known for.

Quote:
I just get the feeling with talk of the new car being on a par with GP2 in terms of pace that Brands will be deemed unsafe!
In the same press conference it was said that the horsepower figure for the new engine is the maximum allowed to run at FIA Grade 2(?) circuits, so that they can "continue to run at the kind of circuits they have been running at". I presume this means Brands Hatch and Taupo.

A question I have about Brands though is capacity. I read the crowd size was 30,000 and on TV all three Brands events looked at about capacity. Would Donington or somewhere else hold more? Presume you can rule out Silverstone as Bernie would take the British Grand Prix off them.

Quote:
Care to gamble on the other 2?

Here are some candidates:

Aguri Suzuki (JPN)
Kimi Räikkönnen (FIN), though last I heard, Mika Salo was working on that
Collin Kolles (ROM)
Gerhard Berger (AUT)
Fernando Alonso (ESP) perhaps his only chance to become world champion again
Perhaps Raikkonen Robertson racing running a team would make sense considering Raikkonen is already Ferrari powered as well.

If I held 50% shares in Toro Rosso but my partner was keen to sell, I'd be looking at finding another partner to cuddle up to. And who poweres Toro Rosso...Ferrari!

Force India is also Ferrari powered however Tony Teixeira and Vijay Mallya have just had a public spat, therefore not so sure about Colin Kolles.

Aguri Suzuki seems to be busy enough at the moment, and Alonso...can imagine him turning up to drive and expecting to wipe the floor only to be pushed all the way by Adam Carroll, Frank Montagny, Neel Jani and co, and then throwing his toys out of the pram.

Last edited by Kiwi3; 6 May 2008 at 03:40.
Old 6 May 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2195176)   #89
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
A question I have about Brands though is capacity. I read the crowd size was 30,000 and on TV all three Brands events looked at about capacity. Would Donington or somewhere else hold more? Presume you can rule out Silverstone as Bernie would take the British Grand Prix off them.

No Brands can handle many more than 30000 and frequently does at WSB meeting. Texiera made a coment at weekend implying that if Brands attracted 60000 there would be a problem with accesss and traffic.

I personally would hate the British Round being lost to Donnington as Spectator viewing at Donnington is just not in the same league as Brands and anyway Brands fairs better with bigger crowds than Donnington anyway.
Old 6 May 2008, 17:30 (Ref:2195374)   #90
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
Quote:
There are rumours of a round in a small middle eastern country that doesn't have a team. Doesn't seem to match A1GP's strategy of racing at venues that have participating franchises (therefore an interested crowd being present). I guess in this case they would be paying, and a large amount at that. Someone has also posted that a US round is possible if a sponsor for $3m is found.

That was my initial worry as well when the Ferrari deal was announced, however I was in a press conference at the Shanghai round when Tony Teixeira explained in very clear language that the number one priority for the new car is to allow the close racing that A1GP has become known for.

In the same press conference it was said that the horsepower figure for the new engine is the maximum allowed to run at FIA Grade 2(?) circuits, so that they can "continue to run at the kind of circuits they have been running at". I presume this means Brands Hatch and Taupo.

Perhaps Raikkonen Robertson racing running a team would make sense considering Raikkonen is already Ferrari powered as well.

If I held 50% shares in Toro Rosso but my partner was keen to sell, I'd be looking at finding another partner to cuddle up to. And who poweres Toro Rosso...Ferrari!

Force India is also Ferrari powered however Tony Teixeira and Vijay Mallya have just had a public spat, therefore not so sure about Colin Kolles.

Aguri Suzuki seems to be busy enough at the moment, and Alonso...can imagine him turning up to drive and expecting to wipe the floor only to be pushed all the way by Adam Carroll, Frank Montagny, Neel Jani and co, and then throwing his toys out of the pram.
Something tells me Aguri Suzuki is somewhat less busy now

About the middle eastern country: latest incarnation of the schedule no longer lists it, so it's probably scrapped.

Brands is on that list though.. so no worries yet.

Also interesting rumor: Michelin might supply the tires next season.
Old 6 May 2008, 18:10 (Ref:2195394)   #91
Francis Albert
Racer

Francis Albert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I heard that too some time ago.

Going back to the "flags in the car" game, did anyone care to check the photos from the end of season party? There's a car in the back of the stage with some interesting ones on it! It worked with Korea but I wonder if we can draw the same conclusions this time...
Old 7 May 2008, 08:01 (Ref:2195779)   #92
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruce Jones, series Commentator, mentioned a Team Finland. Speculating i believe, but being the official commentator i'm sure he has heard more than most...

What was also interesting he said, without hesitation that A1 GP will have grids of 26 cars next season.
Old 7 May 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2195927)   #93
Lam Pak
Veteran

Lam Pak has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No news yet. isnt a1teamspain coming up?
Old 7 May 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2195963)   #94
A1Reporter
Rookie

A1Reporter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
here are my rumours for you all..

Michelin Tyres Presents, The A1GP, World Cup of Motorsport, Powered By Ferrari.

A slimmed down 13 race calendar (Richard was right with the original 15 race calendar)

what you have all been waiting to hear, my guesses are Brno and Shanghai dropped, with a new venue in Oz, China, Brazil, Germany (Sachsenring) Indonesia will return and of course round 1 at Mugello

I think the new Ferrari car will début NEXT WEEK at a venue I can not reveal due to secrecy but it is in the UK. After the test the car will head to Fiorano for intensive testing before the Official Test Sessions at Silverstone.

The new car is being designed by a former Lola man who I believe is the same guy who designed the old A1GP chassis. (This is also a clue to the test circuit)

A1 Teams Spain and one I can not say either are due to be revealed soon

Last edited by A1Reporter; 7 May 2008 at 12:08.
Old 7 May 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2195985)   #95
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definately check the flags on the back of the car on the Gala dinner stage, see the A1gp website, under the photos section, certainly gives plenty of clues as to who is thinking about joining...
Old 7 May 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2195991)   #96
A1Reporter
Rookie

The car used in the background at the gala awards, is only used for that purpose and nothing else. It has the flag of Dubai on it (owns a franchise) Turkey (owns a franchise) Greece (Excluded from Season 2) Russia (Franchise sold to Singapore)

Argentina, Spain, Sweden and Egypt were all part of the 23 nations targeted to join the series back in 2004 when that car was the only car made. Argentina is on there as well but not in any picture.

Any others that people think are on there, just ask

PS. spider - I know where to look, I have all the photos on my hard drive dating to 2004

Last edited by A1Reporter; 7 May 2008 at 12:40.
Old 7 May 2008, 13:08 (Ref:2196034)   #97
spider
Veteran

England
London
With respect A1Reporter the comment of looking at the photo wasn't solely aimed at you, but to all those who read this thread. From your profile name i assumed you were a person in the know

Could you shed light on a Team Finland, and rumours surrounding that...?
Old 7 May 2008, 14:05 (Ref:2196072)   #98
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tony has told to portugaese motorsport website that Argentina, Belgium,South Korea(confirmed), Spain, Russia , Japan and Thailand would like to join /rejoin too.
Old 7 May 2008, 14:34 (Ref:2196094)   #99
A1Reporter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Head
Tony has told to portugaese motorsport website that Argentina, Belgium,South Korea(confirmed), Spain, Russia , Japan and Thailand would like to join /rejoin too.
Argentina were a team targeted in Season 1 and season 2 but each time it fell through, similar to Korea (not South Korea!) Spain are set to join, Japan, they will be back by season 5, season 4 I am unsure about. Russia is likely and Thailand has died away since X-Mas and particularly now that Korea have joined. Belgium well they have a team set up with guys going to the Zandvoort race each year. I think it is a matter of finance there.

Finally Finland is with a Mika Salo backed entry but only if he can find the sponsors needed.

At least 2 nations are set to be leaving! one is Czech Republic and believe it or not the rumour I don't believe is the second being Canada
Old 7 May 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2196233)   #100
RichardRenes
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam
And Dutch commentator Allard Kalff ( who is also Jeroen Bleekemolen's manager btw ) claims Morocco is set to join soon.