Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 10 Apr 2009, 13:03 (Ref:2438052)   #1
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
British F3 Round 1 (Races 1 and 2), Oulton Park

No-one else has picked up the gauntlet, so I may as well get this rolling.

The season starts this weekend at Oulton Park. There are 3 test sessions today, with qualifying tomorrow and the two races on Monday.

Today's times are here in .pdf format. With 2 of the 3 sessions run, Daniel Ricciardo is setting the pace. The last session is now in progress.

The entry list is here, but Sam Abay is not running so far, despite having made the trek from Australia.

Tomorrow for qualifying at 11.35 and 14.40; you can follow the sessions live by going here and then clicking on Live Timing.

The same link should work for the races on Monday at 11.15 and 15.50, but don't be surprised if the timetable runs late; it usually does at Oulton.

I think Ricciardo will be hard to beat, but I'm going to be cheering for Nick Tandy. I think he and JTR did a great job last year and look even better now.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2438185)   #2
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I shall be in attendance.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ricciardo. He seems an exciting talent.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2438193)   #3
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
wannab-aracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I think Ricciardo will be hard to beat, but I'm going to be cheering for Nick Tandy. I think he and JTR did a great job last year and look even better now.
Without the Ultimate orange to cheer on, I too will be hoping Tandy can continue his good form from the tail end of last season.

Just hope he can get off to a good start to the season and mount a geniune challenge for the title.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2438210)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
I shall be in attendance.

I'm looking forward to seeing Ricciardo. He seems an exciting talent.
Good for you. I know of at least one other Mod who will be there, maybe two. This interest in BF3 from the higher echelons should be encouraged!

From what I've heard, you're right about Ricciardo, but let us know what you think after the weekend.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 19:17 (Ref:2438255)   #5
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As posted in the British GT fred earlier, I shall be at Oulton tomorrow and Monday, looking forward to it.

Ricciardo does look good, and probably dare I say it the clear favourite, although I'm very interested to see how Boyd and Buzaid go, plus it'll be interesting to see how Nakajima goes, as last season wasn't wonderful and this season he's got some new tracks to learn. Quite a few interesting situations around imho, with the 'new' drivers looking the better prospects than those who already have some F3 experience under their blt.
Old 10 Apr 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2438258)   #6
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will also be there for both days as am one of the regular oulton park marshals who will be around to deal with any incidents that the F3 boys have, Matthew will be around as one of the cadets in the Paddock as well Lokking forward to 2 good days of action but not as much as last year in the GTs
Old 10 Apr 2009, 19:47 (Ref:2438278)   #7
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Good for you. I know of at least one other Mod who will be there, maybe two. This interest in BF3 from the higher echelons should be encouraged!
And I bet I'm not even included in that group! And, for once, I'm not stuck out on post either, and with any luck will be able to watch from various points for the first time in ... a while.

Chance for a classic lunchtime tenths gathering perhaps?
Old 10 Apr 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2438282)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post
And I bet I'm not even included in that group! And, for once, I'm not stuck out on post either, and with any luck will be able to watch from various points for the first time in ... a while.

Chance for a classic lunchtime tenths gathering perhaps?
You were included, Asp, as you've blown your cover elsewhere, as indeed have I, but then you knew it already.

I'm almost sorry I won't be there if there is to be a classic tenths lunchtime gathering. Even though I may appear very critical of BF3 at the moment, it is still the formula closest to my heart, so anything to increase the interest in it is good!
Old 10 Apr 2009, 20:52 (Ref:2438302)   #9
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Oulton Saturday and Monday, hopefully warmer than last year:
Prediction time? Not sure if this will be race 1, race 2 or combined, so I'm keeping my options open!
1 Oakes
2 Ricciardo
3 Tandy
Nat Class
1 McKenzie
2 Correa
3 is there anybody else in nat class? !
Old 10 Apr 2009, 22:29 (Ref:2438337)   #10
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Brave to pick Oakes as our 1st winner Richard B.

I've hope NBE will show some promise in that first weekend, and as I am usualy with indies, Lloyd and Bridger are my pics for top tens in both races. Unfortunatelly it doesn't look as good for NBE as last year.

Am not attending this year, so have a great time at Oulton guys.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 11:38 (Ref:2438535)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex K View Post
Unfortunately it doesn't look as good for NBE as last year.
At the moment it doesn't look as good for T-Sport either - 10th and 11th in Q1.

Top ten:

1. Chilton (surprise)
2. Ricciardo
3. Nakajima (good effort)
4. Tandy
5. Grubmuller
6. Christodoulou
7. Arundel
8. Huertas
9. Oakes (disappointing)
10.Buzaid
Old 11 Apr 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2438900)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Report and times from Qualifying One.

Report and times from Qualifying Two. Note the last paragraph, which does amuse me as Hywel Lloyd is using an NBE Mugen-Honda as cast aside by T-Sport for this season in favour of Volkswagen power. I expect it was a much better deal financially, but maybe the Mugen-Honda is the better engine.

One thing that's worth mentioning ahead of Monday is that at Oulton, unlike anywhere else, where a staggered starting grid as in F1 is used, the cars start in 2x2 formation, so they are much more tightly bunched than usual heading into the first corner.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 19:40 (Ref:2438954)   #13
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just hope the F3 Guys to behave better off the start line than the British Formula Ford Guys

At least three damaged during two incidents relating to race start including Josh Hill

All cars with damaged suspension and (though I say it myself) excelent work by the marshals cleared the wrecks to safety in about 3 laps under the safety car
Old 11 Apr 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2438979)   #14
GroupOfOne
Racer

I didn't think they were that badly behaved, wasn't it more just Josef Newgarden didn't get away/got away slowly and Hill clipped him before collecting Gamberini and one other.

Couldn't actually see the whole incident, but that's what it sounded like from the description on the commentary.

Then again everyone else was pretty well behaved today, only really Victor Correa having an off which kept him from Q2. Hopefully they can find some new bits for the SLC by Monday.

Pretty poor qualifying by Boyd and Buzaid, but Ricciardo does look class indeed. Nakajima impressed me too. Also, call me sceptical but I don't reckon either of todays pole positions will get the win tomorrow.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 20:26 (Ref:2438990)   #15
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne View Post
Also, call me sceptical but I don't reckon either of today's pole positions will get the win tomorrow.
That's pretty much why I made the point about the starting grid at Oulton.

BUT the races are not tomorrow; they're on Monday.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 20:31 (Ref:2438991)   #16
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroupOfOne View Post
Also, call me sceptical but I don't reckon either of todays pole positions will get the win tomorrow.
agreed, but i'm not sure if that's optimism or a desperate desire to return from the twilight zone. one thing's for sure, it's looking like it'll be a decent run for the title.
Old 11 Apr 2009, 20:34 (Ref:2438995)   #17
GroupOfOne
Racer

Quote:
That's pretty much why I made the point about the starting grid at Oulton.

BUT the races are not tomorrow; they're on Monday.
Too much sun sorry, I'm not used to it at Oulton Park
Old 13 Apr 2009, 09:44 (Ref:2439695)   #18
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Liking the start to this season for Daniel Ricciardo
Old 13 Apr 2009, 10:36 (Ref:2439719)   #19
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does anyone know if theres any form of TV coverage for these two races?
Old 13 Apr 2009, 11:39 (Ref:2439747)   #20
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Which basically means:

Race 1 Result
1. Daniel Ricciardo
2. Nick Tandy (+ fastest lap)
3. Walter Grubmuller
4. Daisuke Nakajima
5. Riki Christodoulou
6. Adriano Buzaid
7. Wayne Boyd
8. Hywel Lloyd
9. Oliver Oakes
10. Victor Garcia

Chilton jumped the start and looks to have been given a 1-minute penalty, which is a bit heavy handed, considering that the usual penalty for that is a drive-through.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2439750)   #21
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Yes, a great way for Ricciardo to start the season. Ahead of Tandy 2nd and a good effort from Grubmuller 3rd, which I belive is his best finish to date?

Nick Tandy set the fastest lap with a 1.28.772 in the Mygale.

Full results now avaliable at tsl timing.

What happened to Chilton ? Starting from pole I presume he had a trip cross country finishing over a minute off the front.

edit:

Last edited by wannab-aracer; 13 Apr 2009 at 11:44. Reason: strider-as ever the man in the know !
Old 13 Apr 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2439756)   #22
wannab-aracer
Racer

England
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev View Post
Does anyone know if theres any form of TV coverage for these two races?
Motors TV - First showing is next Saturday 18/4/09 at 19.15

Not sure about channel 4 coverage
Old 13 Apr 2009, 12:11 (Ref:2439764)   #23
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Chilton jumped the start and looks to have been given a 1-minute penalty, which is a bit heavy handed, considering that the usual penalty for that is a drive-through.
25-sec pen would mean he would have scored single point.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2439766)   #24
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannab-aracer View Post
What happened to Chilton ? Starting from pole I presume he had a trip cross country finishing over a minute off the front.
It must have been a pretty big start jump start because he led on the road for 15 laps, then let through Ricciardo and Tandy, but still finished 3rd on the road, dropping to 17th in the results with the extra minute. All a bit daft.
Old 13 Apr 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2439806)   #25
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
It must have been a pretty big start jump start because he led on the road for 15 laps, then let through Ricciardo and Tandy, but still finished 3rd on the road, dropping to 17th in the results with the extra minute. All a bit daft.
It was huge....God knows what he thought he was doing!