Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Sep 2001, 11:37 (Ref:141696)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Prost has the best car...

Not too long ago, a Mr Luca di Montezemolo promised a Prost to have a spin in a NEW Ferrari should Schumacher break Prost's all time record victories... Not just any Ferrari, mind you, but the Ferrari F1 car which Michael used to break the record. Now that Schumacher had got his mission accomplished, words have leaked that such an arrangement is being made during one of the test sessions (prob at Fiorano)...

Prost has the best car at his disposal once again... hope he enjoys it!
Old 5 Sep 2001, 11:43 (Ref:141701)   #2
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope he has a few hours to fill with describing 'the new breed' as opposed to the flavours he's been used to in his days ... ermmm, well if they hand him something of a set-up and fresh tires as well. Or do they want to reserve the obligatory recordbreaking at Fiorano for the pre-2002 test again? Prost could make it a bit tougher before hand.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 12:06 (Ref:141712)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Will he be using his glasses to drive the car ???
Old 5 Sep 2001, 14:08 (Ref:141790)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Will he be using his glasses to drive the car ???

Well he will be wearing them I would think...The hands and the feet will do the driving..How will he get on with LC and all the gizmos they have to program??
Old 5 Sep 2001, 14:15 (Ref:141793)   #5
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Liz, Prost is training himself with the ultimate technology available: NINTENDO.....LOL

If an old guy like Prost can post a time within the second of Schumacher's time it will raise the question that indeed F1 cars today are easier to drive. The real question is we ever get to know the times, since Schumacher has insisted that the the test should be ran under closed doors.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 16:45 (Ref:141924)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We will get to know the times only if they are significantly worse than those posted by TGF. We will not hear any comments from Prost similar to those made by Patrick Tambay after TGF took the old No. 27 out and confessed that he was frightened of driving it. Prost will not make that sort of comments, for one thing, being a gentleman; and in a closed-door test no doubt all outgoing stories will be "reviewed" to be sure that nothing is said thta Jean Todt does not approve.

However, I imagine Prost will find it difficult to manage a car which requires so little of the driver ...
Old 5 Sep 2001, 22:06 (Ref:142121)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
However, I imagine Prost will find it difficult to manage a car which requires so little of the driver ...
Yes. In that way, hard to beat TGF's times...

Last edited by Bononi; 5 Sep 2001 at 22:08.
Old 5 Sep 2001, 23:51 (Ref:142178)   #8
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hehehe...it's incredible how important such a little test could be...it could clearify one time forever how much there is behind the myth of the great Schumacher...lol...

We'll see...or not see if they dont publish times...

Some years ago Max Biaggi tested the Ferrari and everyone was so surprised about his great laptimes...

Best regards,

Julian
Old 5 Sep 2001, 23:58 (Ref:142179)   #9
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He can't possibly put good times if he hasn't put in a lot of laps in his own car. But then, knowing him, he might just do that.

I think he'll drive it just for the experience and for the fun of it, just the way the current drivers drive the old cars when they get the chance.

And for the honour of it also. I wonder if Montezemolo made the offer partly out of a sense that Prost and he could have done great things together.

Last edited by Roy2; 5 Sep 2001 at 23:59.
Old 6 Sep 2001, 00:04 (Ref:142182)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

they're two legends of F1.

They mastered/master their own era.

For me Prost is above TGF, because of many things, but it is just the way I see things...
Old 6 Sep 2001, 02:56 (Ref:142233)   #11
laxman
Racer

laxman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For all you guys hoping prost will drive the car faster than schumacher, well, it it surely not going to happen.Not because he is not capable, but because he hasnt driven an f1 car for ....somany... years and he will just want to have fun in the car and BTW what the hell does he have to prove to the world!!He has been a world champion and the greatest driver of his era!!!!
I wouldnt think any less of him even if he drove the car 15 seconds a lap slower to schumacher's time.

laxman
Old 6 Sep 2001, 14:25 (Ref:142490)   #12
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BBKing
According to Liz, Prost is training himself with the ultimate technology available: NINTENDO.....LOL

If an old guy like Prost can post a time within the second of Schumacher's time it will raise the question that indeed F1 cars today are easier to drive. The real question is we ever get to know the times, since Schumacher has insisted that the the test should be ran under closed doors.
Considering he owns a team, he ought to know about most of the gizmos on an F1 car, and how to fit inside the cockpit

As for tech, JV has his own BAR cockpit replica complete with extra heavy steering "To improve fitness..." yeah right. He played on it during the 3 week break.
Old 6 Sep 2001, 15:48 (Ref:142521)   #13
ttc
Racer

ttc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
We will get to know the times only if they are significantly worse than those posted by TGF. We will not hear any comments from Prost similar to those made by Patrick Tambay after TGF took the old No. 27 out and confessed that he was frightened of driving it. Prost will not make that sort of comments, for one thing, being a gentleman; and in a closed-door test no doubt all outgoing stories will be "reviewed" to be sure that nothing is said thta Jean Todt does not approve.

Just wondering... if The Professor DOES claim that he's not able to manage the car and it scares the hell out of him because it is different from what he's used to, will that somehow change your mind that the drivers of today aren't any worse than yesteryears?

Hmm... didn't think so... you'll just say that "Prost, being the gentleman that he is, is just being humble" even if he's humbled instead, not taking anything away from his skills.

Argh... why do I even bother...
Old 6 Sep 2001, 16:38 (Ref:142535)   #14
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
We will not hear any comments from Prost similar to those made by Patrick Tambay after TGF took the old No. 27 out and confessed that he was frightened of driving it
Fair enough. There're lots of people around who say they want to be an F1 driver who probably would rethink it if they had to drive under the safety regulations of over 20 years ago.

As for a test behind closed doors, where would that be possible, in the days of track spies and the tifosi, etc?:confused:
Old 6 Sep 2001, 17:58 (Ref:142570)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, yes, what Prost says, what I HEAR him say, not what Jean Todt et al. SAYS he said, would carry a lot of weight with me - and if he said that the cars of today are harder to drive than they were in his day and that TGF is obviously a much better driver than he is, despite his having no competition either in his own team (by law) and on the track (by the luck of the draw), I might think he'd lost his last Marble but I would respect him for his opinion.

However, reading what he's said so far about it, which mainly seems to boil down to "well, we had to actually set up and drive the cars ourselves, nowadays the engineers do all that for you", I doubt he will say anything like that.

And you know what, if they don't let anybody know officially what transpired, everyone will assume that it was because Prost out-drove TGF. So Ferrari ought to just let the cameras in.
Old 6 Sep 2001, 22:35 (Ref:142738)   #16
snakepit27
Racer

snakepit27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Prost has the best car...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Not too long ago, a Mr Luca di Montezemolo promised a Prost to have a spin in a NEW Ferrari should Schumacher break Prost's all time record victories... Not just any Ferrari, mind you, but the Ferrari F1 car which Michael used to break the record. Now that Schumacher had got his mission accomplished, words have leaked that such an arrangement is being made during one of the test sessions (prob at Fiorano)...

Prost has the best car at his disposal once again... hope he enjoys it!
this will be interesting ............
Old 6 Sep 2001, 23:53 (Ref:142811)   #17
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless Alain has been working out, especially his neck muscles, i don't really think TGF has too much to worry about
Old 7 Sep 2001, 02:34 (Ref:142878)   #18
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Bononi, no matter what time Prost clocks, my opinion of him wont change a bit. I beleive Michael is the quicker of the two (when both where in their prime). Michael had the speed to match Senna in a race, Prost didnt.
Old 7 Sep 2001, 04:35 (Ref:142899)   #19
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They won't release times if Prost is way off the pace...because it isn't really fair to one of the greats in Prost.

Anyway, of course the cars are easier to drive....but that doesn't mean it's easier to go quicker than your rivals who have the exact same advantage.
Old 7 Sep 2001, 16:25 (Ref:143182)   #20
Liz
Veteran

You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see the two of them (in public) race each other for one lap, first in the Williams that Prost drove in 1993, then in today's Ferrari. No ramming each other allowed; two warm-up laps each and all the time to set up that they wanted.

Just to see what would happen.
Old 7 Sep 2001, 18:56 (Ref:143266)   #21
snakepit27
Racer

snakepit27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
You know what I'd like to see? I'd like to see the two of them (in public) race each other for one lap, first in the Williams that Prost drove in 1993, then in today's Ferrari. No ramming each other allowed; two warm-up laps each and all the time to set up that they wanted.

lol, media event of the decade, NO ELECTRONIC AIDS
Old 7 Sep 2001, 19:21 (Ref:143275)   #22
LucaBadoer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Harrogate, N Yorks.
LucaBadoer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Liz to replace Bernie!!
Old 7 Sep 2001, 19:26 (Ref:143277)   #23
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

I think Michael should win the race in todays Ferrari easily.
And if you really would give him enough time to set up the 1993 Williams, Michael would probably win that race too.

But still nothing would have been proven, because Michael is in top condition, and Prost is 14 years older ...
Old 7 Sep 2001, 20:02 (Ref:143302)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

What a dream... I wouldn't give away Prost so easily...
Old 7 Sep 2001, 20:32 (Ref:143321)   #25
Liz
Veteran

If the rule was "no cheating allowed" and "use only your own knowledge and ability - no driver aids or remote control devices", I don't think it would be that uneven a battle.

And remember we're not talking Nigel Mansell and TGF here. Prost can still fit in the car, and I'd guess he doesn't weigh much more than he did when he drove. Over 2 laps the fitness level should not be that important a matter.

Make it a half-hour television show and I bet you'd sell all the advertising in no time flat.