Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Aug 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1392485)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2002 F1 Season: What Could Have Been?

Considered by many the 2002 F1 season was one of the most painful and worst seasons ever and the casual viewer still may have a bad opinion over F1. Now I don't want bashers here to join, but for others to look at what could have been with ifs, and if thinsg went who they should have.
However looking back at it to me it seemed the season that could have been one of the best.
But the Ferrari’s had so much luck and never put a foot wrong. However Williams were quite strong at the start of the season but faded and Mclaren were no where.
At the first race (Melbourne) it was exciting.
Constant lead changes, Montoya could have won or beaten Schumacher, or even Trulli could have had won for Renault, or if the front of the field hadn't crashed out at turn 1 it could have been a different story.
The second race at Sepang saw the first corner incident between Montoya and Schumacher, Ralf went on to take any easy win, both Montoya and Schumacher filled the other podium slots.
Then it was Interlagos, Barrichello's car broke down, and Michael was on the wrong strategy, and managed to go to Ralf's who would have won.
Two wins for Schumacher at Imola and Barcelona.
A1-Ring, Barrichello should have won, much faster than Schumacher.
Monaco, Coulthard won but it was down to the pit to car technology that saved the car from retirement.
Montreal, Montoya was faster than Schumacher in the final stages and I very much expect would have caught Schumacher and won.
Nurburgring, Schumacher was the faster driver but had to let Barrichello win because shortly after the event they had to face the FIA over Austria.
Silverstone, Montoya lead the first 1/3rd the race but Schumacher were quicker in the wet and won.
Magny-Cours, Raikkonen should have won his first race but slid and run wide in the oil from McNish's car at the hairpin in the final stages.
Hockenheim, Schumacher race.
Buda-pest, Schumacher should have won, but stayed behind Barrichello for him to win.
Spa-Francorchamps, Schumacher’s rivals dropped out or had problems at the early stages so he took a deserved win.
Monza could have been a Williams 1-2 but both broke down and left for a Ferrari 1-2.
Indianapolis should have been a Schumacher victory, but we know what happened at the finish line.
Suzuka, a Schumacher win.

So here is what it could have looked like: (Winners)

Melbourne - Montoya
Sepang - Montoya
Interlagos - R Schumacher
Imola - M Schuamcher
Barcelona - M Schuamcher
A1-ring - Barrichello
Monte Carlo - Coulthard
Montreal - Montoya
Nurburgring - M Schumacher
Silverstone - M Schumacher
Magny-Cours - Raikkonen
Hockenehim - M Schumacher
Buda-Pest - M Schumacher
Spa-Francorchamps - M Schumacher
Monza - R Schumacher or Montoya
Indinapolis - M Schumacher
Suzuka - M Schumacher
Old 27 Aug 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1392493)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
2002 had it's good races. But these were mired in several terrible races.

It's the only year where I have genuinely felt like missing some of the races. God knows why I watched some of them.

Melbourne was never in doubt for me, Bridgestone had an advantage that day, the only glimmer of hope for Michelin was when Monty put that move on Schuey at turn one but after that he had no hope of defending his position.

Sepang, I agree.

Interlagos would have been a Montoya win for me, but a certain somebody used the one move rule to its limit......

I agree with Montreal, Schuey had brake trouble.

I doubt anybody could've beaten Ferrari at monza.

Apart from that, nothing else you say is in much doubt.

Still, it's pretty pointless torturing ourselves on what could have been....it was a dud year and that's that. I doubt we'll get one quite like that again, or indeed I hope not. There weren't many high points.....personally, my favourite moment was Satos qualifying performance and 5th place race finish at Suzuka. Watching him going sideways through the "proper" 130R was a joy. Also, it still had the old qualifying which threw up some entertaining laps from Montoya and Schuey.

But apart from that, yep, it was all controversy and dullness. Probably best not to talk about the controversies really.
Old 27 Aug 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1392494)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh, and F1 Digital!
Old 27 Aug 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1392497)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was still a dull year, there was those Ferrari possions at Barcelona, Buda-pest, Indy, and a few others but with a few other problems from Ferrari it could have been a similar story to 2001 if Mclaren were competitive, but it is all ifs and buts and what could have been, but back in 2002, we did have the orginal qualifying and not and not the spree of new rules that changed F1.

And F1 digital, I loved it! Something I miss today.
Old 27 Aug 2005, 14:34 (Ref:1392498)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Thing is, you could have lived with the Ferrari domination if the racing was there. And often it wasn't. Which just made things worse.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1392950)   #6
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
And the demise of Arrows was the lowlight. I enjoyed quite a few races in 2002. Wasn't the Montreal race you were thinking of in 2003 though with Schumi's brake problems?

Webber's P5 in Oz....magnificent.

Massa spinning 3 times in the wet in Silverstone and Yoong spinning 4 times in 14 laps at Suzuka...terrible; but funny!
Old 29 Aug 2005, 00:14 (Ref:1393358)   #7
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Thing is, you could have lived with the Ferrari domination if the racing was there. And often it wasn't. Which just made things worse.
Yes! i have to agree with this! I hated it when people at the time were going on about how Ferrari had "destroyed F1" or how "it would never be the same again" because it just was'nt the case at all.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 00:21 (Ref:1393361)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
I don't think this has been the case just in '02, I have the pleasure of a friend who has all the F1 reviews back to the '80s and I decided to watch 2000, my favorite season of all time, yet I was surprised to see there was no racing, the races were won on pit stops or retirements, yet the tense Schumacher v Hakkinen battle was exciting in it's own way. So I agree with people who say this year is fabulous, we have a thrilling battle with the two Renault's and Mclaren's and also other cars joining in and mixing it where as in '02 by mid season it was Michael's and this was down mainly to Mclaren and Williams' lack of pace and uncompetitive ness.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 14:22 (Ref:1393716)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
Wasn't the Montreal race you were thinking of in 2003 though with Schumi's brake problems?
Schuey did have brake issues in 2003 yes, where he brilliantly held off the two Williams' (who ran with too short a top gear I might add).

He had issues in 2002 as well though and this would have allowed Montoya to at least have pushed him hard. He would have won though I think.

Schuey seems to have a history of brake difficulties at Canada, although I guess most suffer similar problems, just Schuey handles them better.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 16:50 (Ref:1393785)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
2002: To appreciate the sweet, one must also taste the sour.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1393888)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

It made 2003 very sweet, certainly.

And 2003 made 2004 taste a little off putting.

Which in turn makes 2005 quite pleasant!

And on it will go......
Old 30 Aug 2005, 04:55 (Ref:1394176)   #12
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep McLaren and Williams did their best to ensure Ferrari won everything. '02 could have, and should have been Williams BMWs year, with Montoya. Too bad, they threw it away, while having the fastest car, as McLaren threw it away in 2000, also, while having, at least the best equal car.
shame.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 05:08 (Ref:1394184)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew2001
'02 could have, and should have been Williams BMWs year, with Montoya. Too bad, they threw it away, while having the fastest car,

Williams did not have the fastest car in 2002.

Yes, it was often good over one lap - but the Ferrari was comfortably the best car by a big margin.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1394425)   #14
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Oh, and F1 Digital!
I can remember the 02 season because of this fantastic channel. The racing in the middle and towards the back of the pack was superb
Old 30 Aug 2005, 15:59 (Ref:1394575)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Williams, by season end, had the third fastest car as McLaren leapfrogged them on race pace, despite an asthmatic engine......
Old 30 Aug 2005, 22:37 (Ref:1395017)   #16
Joe Taylor
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warwickshire, UK
Joe Taylor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It made 2003 very sweet, certainly.

And 2003 made 2004 taste a little off putting.

Which in turn makes 2005 quite pleasant!

And on it will go......
So I should find something else to do on Sunday afternoon next year then?
Old 31 Aug 2005, 07:24 (Ref:1395227)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
It doesn't work that way ever year.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 11:26 (Ref:1395426)   #18
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
2006 will be a lot like 2000 and 1996 i reckon! anyone who can guess why wins a prize..!

Old 31 Aug 2005, 11:37 (Ref:1395434)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
2006 will be a lot like 2000 and 1996 i reckon! anyone who can guess why wins a prize..!

There is a four year difference then a six year difference so I doubt it is that.

Anyway I think 2006 will be like Kicking-back put it will be like '92 for Mansell after '91 for Raikkonen, close and oftern the fastest but his car let him down and the next seasson he may win it.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1395514)   #20
Skam85
Veteran

Wrong!

1996 Schumacher had a new Ferrari teammate and he did in 2000 as well!