Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 23 Nov 2002, 01:43 (Ref:435089)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cart Banquet Live NOW at Cart.com!

You can have audio and some choppy pictures with DSL...might be streaming video with a faster connection though.

So far TK started off the night with some good ol' Nascar bashing.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 23 Nov 2002, 01:53 (Ref:435093)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
More Ncar bashing... Tommy thanking his 'sponsors'. 'For those of you enjoying your dinner tonight, I'd like to thank possum, the other white meat' -TK
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 23 Nov 2002, 02:23 (Ref:435100)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Geez...Toyota took forever with their acceptance for the constructors championship and put the whole banquet behind schedule.

Dario before presenting the Greg Moore award joked that Kniefel saying that he should get the 'Motorola call of the race' award for Surfers. According to Dario Greg was the pioneer of the idea that competing drivers could be friends - something that really makes Cart one of the best racing series in the world.

The GM award goes to Patrick Carpentier..with special mention of his jog up the pitlane in mid-ohio! Congrats to him! He deserved it.

Last edited by Jay; 23 Nov 2002 at 02:27.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 03:04 (Ref:435104)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Most Popular Driver: Paul Tracy!!! presented by Mr. Rob Woods, a Cart fan from Vancouver.

And he thanked Tony George!

Last edited by Jay; 23 Nov 2002 at 03:04.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 05:03 (Ref:435123)   #5
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I finally got my audio to work just at the time Dario was presenting the Greg Moore award -- the other good joke besides PT thanking Tony George for making him the most popular driver was somebody from Speed saying that if you wanted to watch the IRL you'd have to go to ESPN, where they'd show it if there wasn't a really good WOMENS Basketball game on!

But I do have to say that some people didn't know when to hush up. It was like listening to the Academy Awards.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 05:03 (Ref:435124)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I didn't hear ANY announcements.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 05:13 (Ref:435127)   #7
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not surprised Liz. It is a prize giving not a PR conference. A lot of sponsorship deals will come in now that the series has the best sponsorship support it has ever had in terms of PR and with people like Motorola staying on Board it may be that it will be only TG's money, Toyota, and Honda that keep the IRL afloat. With the audience figures that CART have as opposed to the IRL alot of corporate people will be looking to see where thay get the best bang for their buck and it wont be at TG's circus. The dominoes will fall...
Old 23 Nov 2002, 05:53 (Ref:435130)   #8
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...hopefully without missing one and stuffing up the chain of events that should be put into place.

I wish to state that I'm getting very impatient waiting for anouncements.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 08:44 (Ref:435155)   #9
GoFaster
Racer

GoFaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford(Cosworth) & Bridgestone qualify as anouncements.I feel releases are being made as soon as possible.I don't believe Pook has anything else to report at this time.Speculation doesn't count.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 12:01 (Ref:435225)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also Gentilozzi confirmed that his TransAm sponsor, Johnson Controls, will follow him to CART, and that he'll announce the driver next week

(from CART.com)
Old 23 Nov 2002, 12:51 (Ref:435256)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Well, they did keep on saying "We will announce that at the Banquet." That's the only reason I mentioned it.

I did hear the Rocketsports announcement, and I expect we will be hearing lots more announcements as time goes on.

Oh, incidentally, after Autosport.com published the Ford deal with a lot of D&G in the article, I shot them a quick little note and said "Can you please not put in so much doom and gloom when discussing CART? This is good news!" and you'll notice the next two little articles are much more upbeat. So they do listen to feedback.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 17:03 (Ref:435364)   #12
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
The thing about 'announcements' is that most publicly traded companies want to have all their ducks lined up before going public with news that could potentially **** off shareholders and/or employees or make them happy. And there are a lot of little things that have to happen before a sponsorship or driver deal is finalized and they are ready to come out with it.

Normally, we would just assume everything would go right and we;d have X cars on the grid next year with sponsors... Announcements would be made throughout the months of December, January and even February and most people would skip over them to read about who their favorite driver was sleeping with or who said what about a certain driver. This year, people are a lot less patient.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 18:37 (Ref:435391)   #13
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
damm.....missed it !
Old 23 Nov 2002, 19:08 (Ref:435406)   #14
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The Rookie-of-the-Year award should've gone to Chris Pook!
Old 23 Nov 2002, 20:18 (Ref:435437)   #15
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
was the safety car driver at Surfers Paradise in the running for Rookie of the Year?
Old 23 Nov 2002, 23:55 (Ref:435570)   #16
Liz
Veteran

No, but I hear there was some debate about "most laps led."
Old 24 Nov 2002, 00:06 (Ref:435583)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'll be 87 years old, and my daughter will be wiping the drool from my lip as I recant Indy and Australia 2002.