Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 27 Apr 2007, 12:53 (Ref:1901646)   #1
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brooklands

I've been inspired by the recent thread on Reims. Im after pictures of Brooklands for resaerch towards a project i'm doing at Uni. I'm really interested in the "ghosts of the past" and any pictures that convey a sense of history and nostalgia. I'm looking forward to seeing whats out there!
Old 27 Apr 2007, 21:00 (Ref:1901881)   #2
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you should vist Brookland for yourself, and take a walk up onto the banking, and experience the ghosts!! I alway find it eirie, the experince will give added value to any images you come across!

Kelvin
Old 28 Apr 2007, 11:45 (Ref:1902159)   #3
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
I actually visited it for the first time last week. I agree, it was an eerie feeling walking on the historic banking. I was a little disapointed with the lack of images of Brooklands in its prime available in the shop. I took alot of images of my own, but i feel it would be good to compare them to images of how it was
Old 28 Apr 2007, 21:09 (Ref:1902386)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet: ss_collins has written a book about the "lost" circuits - search on Amazon for "Autodrome". Should be right up your street by the sounds of it
Old 30 Apr 2007, 07:57 (Ref:1903183)   #5
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just found this thread and seems you beat me too it Bert

As has already been said, visit it (which seems you have) and Autodrome has pics as well - did you also visit the museum bit there too? They should have pics and the like.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 15:20 (Ref:1903486)   #6
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Olly,
Go to www.alexreade.com and have a look at some of their photos for sale, you may be interested.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 15:57 (Ref:1903516)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin
you should vist Brookland for yourself, and take a walk up onto the banking, and experience the ghosts!! I alway find it eirie, the experince will give added value to any images you come across!

Kelvin

Absolutely right. I went about 10 years ago and have been meaning to do so again. Fascinating place.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 16:00 (Ref:1903520)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet: ss_collins has written a book about the "lost" circuits - search on Amazon for "Autodrome". Should be right up your street by the sounds of it

A couple of good reviews too on Amazon. No mention of a Ten Tenths member discount though......
Old 30 Apr 2007, 16:17 (Ref:1903533)   #9
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Olly,
June 16/17th is Brooklands Centenary celebration weekend. A big weekend supported by Mercedes World, who have bought and taken over the old runway. There will be hundreds of cars and bikes there (as well as planes) and should be well worth going to. I'm unfortunately (!!??) going to at Le Mans. You can view their website at www.brooklandsmuseum.com
Old 1 May 2007, 06:46 (Ref:1903932)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
A couple of good reviews too on Amazon. No mention of a Ten Tenths member discount though......
Let me know when you get your discount Ayse so I can complain to the author as I had to pay for my copy.... (Though I did get a free one in German!!!).
Old 1 May 2007, 10:37 (Ref:1904061)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
Olly,
June 16/17th is Brooklands Centenary celebration weekend. A big weekend supported by Mercedes World, who have bought and taken over the old runway. There will be hundreds of cars and bikes there (as well as planes) and should be well worth going to. I'm unfortunately (!!??) going to at Le Mans. You can view their website at www.brooklandsmuseum.com

Not exactly an ideal choice of weekend, was it......
Old 1 May 2007, 10:58 (Ref:1904083)   #12
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Unfortunately they only had 52 weekends to chose from
Old 1 May 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1904104)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is annoying for me too. MB World is making a great effort for the 100 year bash too - it should be great. Sometimes it gets quite chocker in the summer weekends nowadays and I guess that they are chosing the closest weekend to the 100 years.

Although the tunnel is still booked!
Old 2 May 2007, 20:35 (Ref:1905345)   #14
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man
Olly,
Hmm, Im going to Le Mans too. Sounds like a good event, shame to miss it.

BertMk2, Thanks, Excellent reccomendation. I ordered the book off Amazon and got it yesterday, a real gold mine!
Old 2 May 2007, 20:44 (Ref:1905357)   #15
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
Unfortunately, there was a distinct lack of period photos, which was a shame. I had expected more posters and books, but there was just lots of concorde memrobilia.
Old 24 May 2007, 11:40 (Ref:1920225)   #16
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
fraggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a thought, if you're after period photos. Have you tried contact the local County Records Office that would cover Brooklands?

I worked in my local office years ago and the vast area of documents/photos on various subjects that they held was astounding. You never know they might have something there. Have you also contacted Brooklands itself and asked whether they've got any archive holdings that aren't on display that you might be permitted to look through??
Old 24 May 2007, 17:54 (Ref:1920463)   #17
PeterM
Racer

United Kingdom
Wellingborough
PeterM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LAst year Brooklands did evening visits. A walk round the museum, a visit to the banking etc in the dark (no visible ghosts but a "ghostly" car drove along the banking under the bridge, and then a meal afterwards. a really excellent evening. I'm looking out for it this year too.
Old 24 May 2007, 18:42 (Ref:1920500)   #18
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Peter,
have a look at their website, mentioned earlier in the thread, lots of "events" throughout the year, many that need marshals, so you can get in for free.
Bought a book about Brooklands, last year, that comtained many archive photos. Unfortunately I lent it to someone and never got it back, and I can't remember the title or the publisher, but I'll look into it.
Old 25 May 2007, 07:24 (Ref:1920799)   #19
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Not exactly an ideal choice of weekend, was it......
Brooklands could hardly change the date of the 100th aniversary, may be the Locke King family should have held the first meting on a different weekend.
Old 28 May 2007, 21:04 (Ref:1923248)   #20
gi_gav
Veteran

Scotland
gi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgi_gav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly83
I ordered the book off Amazon and got it yesterday, a real gold mine!
Glad to hear you liked the book.

We covered the TT discount idea back when the book first came out - the answer is that the amazon discount is more than the publisher would be able to offer as a forum discount!
Old 29 May 2007, 15:45 (Ref:1923886)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I keep meaning to buy it - I promise I will get around to it eventually.......
Old 17 Jun 2007, 12:50 (Ref:1939855)   #22
red lady
Rookie

red lady should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brooklands

Hi,
I went to the Brooklands Centenary Festival yesterday. Fantastic, despite the rain.
The Byfleet Banks are as they were - It was wonderful seeing the collection of historic cars on them.
I took lots of pics - you may want to have a look - http://suewhyte.fotopic.net - click on Brooklands Centenary festival collection or go straight to the collection at http://suewhyte.fotopic.net/C1305114.html
This was definately the week end to visit!
Old 26 Feb 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2138264)   #23
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was told yesterday by a friend who had just visited recently that the banking and all the track has gone now to development...I am visiting later in the year and would be very disappointed if this was the case!!
Old 26 Feb 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2138273)   #24
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The banking was still there last week (and in use for rides in vintage vehicles), can't vouch for the future though.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 21:43 (Ref:2138721)   #25
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I was told yesterday by a friend who had just visited recently that the banking and all the track has gone now to development...I am visiting later in the year and would be very disappointed if this was the case!!
I think a scandal of that magnitude may have been reported (Brooklands has a protected status) I think your friend may have just missed it, or not known where to look!