Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Closed Thread

Old 23 Apr 2014, 17:41 (Ref:3397370)   #6726
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What about getting rid of IMSA? Have Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glen and Road Atlanta part of the WEC then they have just P1, GTLM and GT3 as classes. Since NASCAR is only about making money and the majority of the fans want to see this, why can't NASCAR do this? It's a great way to make money. Is NASCAR that stupid that they don't see this money making opportunity? Seems that they are.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 17:47 (Ref:3397373)   #6727
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
What about getting rid of IMSA? Have Daytona, Sebring, Watkins Glen and Road Atlanta part of the WEC then they have just P1, GTLM and GT3 as classes. Since NASCAR is only about making money and the majority of the fans want to see this, why can't NASCAR do this? It's a great way to make money. Is NASCAR that stupid that they don't see this money making opportunity? Seems that they are.
Having only 4 sports car races is not enough to generate interest. A North American sports car series is vital for the health of world wide sports car racing. Without a NA series, almost all the American teams would look elsewhere since none have a huge budget. And the WEC making 4 trips to North America isn't possible either.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 17:52 (Ref:3397378)   #6728
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I have stalked this forum for a long time with out registering but this post is such a great idea I just had to tell you. It would be a dream come true.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 18:01 (Ref:3397381)   #6729
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It has nothing to do with what NASCAR wants as they have no control over what the FIA does with the WEC.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 18:16 (Ref:3397386)   #6730
Gulf
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
It has nothing to do with what NASCAR wants as they have no control over what the FIA does with the WEC.
If ISC/Nascar/the Frances offered I think the FIA would gladly run there. They could even keep the NAEC to encourage American only teams to run.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 18:38 (Ref:3397396)   #6731
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Doing quick math, if a P2 is ~1980lb and makes 450 HP, the new DP, weighing ~2280lb should be at about 520 HP to have the same power to weight ratios. Anyone know what the downforce numbers are between the two?
Before the season started I think I remember hearing the P2's still have slightly more downforce, even with the upgrades to the DP's.

You bring up a good point about power to weight ratios though. DP's currently have around 600 horses, and with less downforce they can really scoot on the straights.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3397407)   #6732
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
If ISC/Nascar/the Frances offered I think the FIA would gladly run there. They could even keep the NAEC to encourage American only teams to run.
The only race I can see them adding would be Sebring. Daytona hasn't been relevant on the international level for awhile, they dropped Petit Le Mans in favor of Bahrain so I doubt they hold it in very high regard and I don't think Watkins Glen would meet their safety standards.

Plus I doubt fans would be very happy when one country gets 5 races while every other country only gets 1.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:47 (Ref:3397424)   #6733
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I think there are teams in the U.S. that could run an lmp1, but they dont want to. Haas is trying to enter F1, that has to take up a big chunk of money. Imo, teams are content with the 'cheap' dp's that can now win what they call the premiere sportscar races in the U.S. They dont care for the wec. Its like an American centric mentality. Its not great to have that thinking imo, but they disagree.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3397427)   #6734
Pandemonium
Racer

Pandemonium has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I think there are teams in the U.S. that could run an lmp1, but they dont want to. Haas is trying to enter F1, that has to take up a big chunk of money. Imo, teams are content with the 'cheap' dp's that can now win what they call the premiere sportscar races in the U.S. They dont care for the wec. Its like an American centric mentality. Its not great to have that thinking imo, but they disagree.
Becuase most of the teams racing in the TUSC are hillbillies
Old 23 Apr 2014, 19:57 (Ref:3397430)   #6735
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Considering the exposure of the WEC, and sponsor commitments, why would an American team race in the WEC? I can't see a strong business case for it.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 20:42 (Ref:3397443)   #6736
Gulf
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
Considering the exposure of the WEC, and sponsor commitments, why would an American team race in the WEC? I can't see a strong business case for it.
Well in reality is there a case to sponsor sports cars at all? NASCAR, the NFL, NBA are all better more visible options. So Sports car sponsorship cheaper? Probably.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 22:09 (Ref:3397471)   #6737
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemonium View Post
Becuase most of the teams racing in the TUSC are hillbillies
Ridiculous statement, no matter what your opinion is.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 22:14 (Ref:3397475)   #6738
FLGTFAN
Racer

United States
Naples, Florida
FLGTFAN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I could make a case for Muscle Milk, but yeah, the possibilities are few.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 22:28 (Ref:3397484)   #6739
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/10296...totype-chassis
This news is gutting.
A common spec chassis, with brand specific "decorations" and different engines.

The 2017 P2 car will be dreadful! What are they thinking?
Some clarification of the proposed 2017 P2 spec from Scot Elkins on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/scotelkins?origi...45399238119424
It may not be as bad as it first sounded.
Quote:
Scot Elkins ‏@scotelkins All, pls realize that for the 2017 car, spec is specification-not single make-all p1 tubs are same specification-exactly the same idea
Quote:
Scot Elkins ‏@scotelkins Actually the idea is to use the p1 specification for the tub of the new car-latest safety spec And room for taller drivers
Quote:
Scot Elkins ‏@scotelkins Actually the idea is to use the p1 specification for the tub of the new car-latest safety spec And room for taller drivers
It is really helpful that some are taking the time to interact with fans.
Old 23 Apr 2014, 22:57 (Ref:3397494)   #6740
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
Well in reality is there a case to sponsor sports cars at all? NASCAR, the NFL, NBA are all better more visible options. So Sports car sponsorship cheaper? Probably.
Yeah, I think so albeit limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLGTFAN View Post
I could make a case for Muscle Milk, but yeah, the possibilities are few.
Yup and maybe Patron. They way it is now you would have to give up your US exposure to do that. Hopefully the WEC takes off and gets some coverage here.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 00:16 (Ref:3397510)   #6741
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, thanks a ton Scot Elkins for clearing that up. I will sleep easier ... a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously, thanks a ton for that clarification.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 01:34 (Ref:3397529)   #6742
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Well, thanks a ton Scot Elkins for clearing that up. I will sleep easier ... a bit of an exaggeration, but seriously, thanks a ton for that clarification.
That type of top-level attitude will make dividends going forward. Man deserves a pat on the back and a hand-shake for the effort he puts forth explaining his positions.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 02:36 (Ref:3397537)   #6743
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
That type of top-level attitude will make dividends going forward. Man deserves a pat on the back and a hand-shake for the effort he puts forth explaining his positions.
Definitely agree. I was really, really concerned with the Racer article, and Elkins' clarifications really helped my attitude.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 04:42 (Ref:3397559)   #6744
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Just hypothetically.

Say this car was fitted with modern rubber and the chassis was made of carbon fiber and the whole shemozzle would pass all current safety specs...how fast do you think it'd go, and would you watch a series like that?

Like, imagine if this as what a 2017 P1/2 car looked like...they'd produce more downforce than current cars, iirc.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 05:44 (Ref:3397566)   #6745
ThatGuy
Rookie

ThatGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Just hypothetically.

Say this car was fitted with modern rubber and the chassis was made of carbon fiber and the whole shemozzle would pass all current safety specs...how fast do you think it'd go, and would you watch a series like that?

Like, imagine if this as what a 2017 P1/2 car looked like...they'd produce more downforce than current cars, iirc.
The XJR-14 ran a 1:46.248 at Silverstone Classic qualifying vs this year's Audi R18 at 1:42.477. I think just finding a way for it to work on modern tires would make it just as fast, if not faster.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 05:58 (Ref:3397570)   #6746
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
and would you watch a series like that?

This shouldn't even be asked, the answer is so obvious!

It's a damn shame those cars only lasted a couple years.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 06:18 (Ref:3397573)   #6747
DistortedSmile
Racer

Spain
DistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDistortedSmile should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
The XJR-14 ran a 1:46.248 at Silverstone Classic qualifying vs this year's Audi R18 at 1:42.477. I think just finding a way for it to work on modern tires would make it just as fast, if not faster.
The Peugeot 905 got pole at Le Mans 1992 with a 3:21.200, that's faster than last year's pole by the R18 (even though that car could probably have gone faster than the 3:22.346 it qualified with IMO).
Old 24 Apr 2014, 06:20 (Ref:3397574)   #6748
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
No, I wouldn't want to see that any more than I wanted to see IMSA's spec-CanAm (now there's an oxymoron) throwback car last year.

I'd rather see something that produces its own history rather than adopting another periods'.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 08:35 (Ref:3397609)   #6749
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy View Post
Yes, but with a faster version of the Vale-Club complex.
Old 24 Apr 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3397708)   #6750
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/d...us-on-fia-wec/

Paul Dalla Lana will not mount full-season TUDOR United SportsCar Championship or Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge programs as originally planned, having elected to focus his driving efforts in the FIA World Endurance Championship this year.
Closed Thread