Old 24 Jul 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1361994)   #1
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Race Thread This Weekend?

Just spotted no Hockenheim race thread.

Take it thats cos there aint really much to talk about!

Crap race on a circuit that encourages overtaking, thank god the BTCC's on....
Old 24 Jul 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1362012)   #2
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
So what did everyone make of it then?

All things considered prety poor! If the aero can't work at Hockenheim in order to allow a decent race I really dread to think what we're going to see in Hungary next week!

If it wasn't for Bridgestone and Schumacher we would have had a real snoorathon.

Something MUST be done about these aero rules, they are a disgrace and now it really is beginning to show.

You've gotta feel sorry for Raikkonen, faultless again and then BANG! The title race is all but over now.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 13:45 (Ref:1362017)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, the aero situation needs addressing - and it is being done.

All in all, for modern day F1, that was a decent race.

And I agree, Alonso and Renault have all but wrapped up both titles.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1362024)   #4
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking of 'aero'....ITV were pretty stupid to show Brundle's feature on the Red Bull car with the 'boxes'. How do they make mistakes like that?

Alex
Old 24 Jul 2005, 13:50 (Ref:1362025)   #5
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The first 5 laps were very entertaining IMO. It's a shame the director was having so much trouble keeping up with the action.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 13:52 (Ref:1362027)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzaf1
Speaking of 'aero'....ITV were pretty stupid to show Brundle's feature on the Red Bull car with the 'boxes'. How do they make mistakes like that?

Alex

Mistakes like what?
Old 24 Jul 2005, 13:56 (Ref:1362031)   #7
forzaf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Hants, UK
forzaf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Mistakes like what?
A mistake because we saw it the other week.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1362032)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ITV repeated Martin Brundle's article on the dimensions of an F1 car when they were supposed to feature some other technical feature presented by him.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1362033)   #9
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A pretty decent race today... much better than the last few...

Good drive by JPM... the start was brilliant by him...
Once again let down by the aero regs...hopefully they can figure out a good package for next year....

Alonso or Renault will have to have brain fade to lose the title from this position
Old 24 Jul 2005, 14:09 (Ref:1362039)   #10
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Is it too late too change aero regs for next season? And despite us the fans and TV commentators bangin on about it I've yet to hear anything from anybody actually involved within Formula 1.

Clearly, clearly something must be done though as although yes there was a bit of action today that was in the main purely down to Schumacher's tyres going off. If they hadn't the only entertainment we would have had would have been the battles for 12th/13th etc a la Silverstone.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1362042)   #11
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The start was like a Formula Thud, sorry Ford race, and apart from a couple of semi-decent moves the rest was rubbish.

It is time to turn the clock back with single plain wings, big fat slick tyres, more power than grip and no driver aids like electronic gearboxes or traction control. To give you some idea of what I like to see think of a F5000 or a 1970's style of F1 car but with modern safety in mind.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1362044)   #12
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Good drive from Montoya today, kept his head and did all he could of done given the circumstance he put himself in. Could of easily got caught up in the opening lap mayhem.Well done.I would have to say he was my driver of the day, then again im biased towards him anyway!
Old 24 Jul 2005, 14:16 (Ref:1362045)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarmarshal
The start was like a Formula Thud, sorry Ford race, and apart from a couple of semi-decent moves the rest was rubbish.

It is time to turn the clock back with single plain wings, big fat slick tyres, more power than grip and no driver aids like electronic gearboxes or traction control. To give you some idea of what I like to see think of a F5000 or a 1970's style of F1 car but with modern safety in mind.

The proposed new rules are quite like that, but some posters on here then claim it "wouldn't be F1" anymore!
Old 24 Jul 2005, 14:26 (Ref:1362051)   #14
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It is time to turn the clock back with single plain wings, big fat slick tyres, more power than grip and no driver aids like electronic gearboxes or traction control.
Sometimes you have to go back to go forward

I'm definitely not into the idea that to be the pinnacle of motorsport F1 needs to utilise loads of gadgets. Traction control and ABS and the like may be impressive and useful in road cars, but I've always thought what is impressive about F1 cars is their sheer power-to-weight stats and overall speed.

And that is what impresses the fans, along with overtaking that is generated when a driver has a fair performance advantage over another car. That's what we need in my view (and it appears millions of other people's).
Old 24 Jul 2005, 14:59 (Ref:1362059)   #15
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also noticed a lot of empty grandstand seats today.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 15:02 (Ref:1362061)   #16
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It all boils down to what you think F1 should represent. Some think that it should be a quest to further technology to the point where drivers are no longer required (Steve Matchett for instance), whereas others would like to see the world's best drivers duelling it out in simpler cars with similar performance.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 15:09 (Ref:1362065)   #17
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
At the end of the day this is called motor "RACING", there is little of that going on at this present moment in time with the current rules be it aero, driver aids or whatever.

If you want to see the latest technology, go to the Geneva motor show. I think the majority want to see RACING....the only way your going to get any of that is if you sort the regulations out, get rid of driver aids, sort out the aero's and get the boys back out on slicks cos at the moment the entertainment just isn't at anywhere near the level it should be at.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1362070)   #18
Paarma
Racer

Finland
Europe
Paarma should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the situation would be okay if we had more teams. Preferably teams which can win. Right now there is little racing because the differences in car performance is significant and once the initial overtaking-phase is over it becames a race of progression and pitstop strategy because obviously slower cars can not overtake faster cars. I think it's pointless to try to limit the performance of faster cars artificially. I'm not interested about simulated "sport". But with more teams there would be more cars with (hopefully) potential to race for position and provide some entertainment to the viewers.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 15:30 (Ref:1362072)   #19
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
True, but cars that are 1-2 secs a lap quicker than the car infront can't even get close enough to make a move these days...thats when you know you have problems!
Old 24 Jul 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1362073)   #20
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
I think it's pointless to try to limit the performance of faster cars artificially
Absolutely. There should not even be suggestion of something like success ballast for instance- success ballast is absurd.

Do people remember when Autosport ran an article detailing proposed suggestions to resolve lack of overtaking that included a mention of special 'overtaking lanes'?
Old 24 Jul 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1362113)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was a mostly uneventful race, rare for 2005.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 16:30 (Ref:1362116)   #22
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well the next race is at hungaroring... that should produce a good.......

snooze....
Old 24 Jul 2005, 16:34 (Ref:1362122)   #23
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooh, you should have watched the MotoGP action from Donington, it was raining cats and dogs out there, some superb bike control of some, and many falls of them who hadn't. I think the 250cc delivered the best show this time.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 24 Jul 2005, 17:21 (Ref:1362150)   #24
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was entertaining which was more than the F1 I must say.

Dreadful conditions and a fine showing from Kenny Roberts Jnr who defied all odds and came 2nd.
Old 24 Jul 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1362152)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 429CJ
Ooh, you should have watched the MotoGP action from Donington, it was raining cats and dogs out there, some superb bike control of some, and many falls of them who hadn't. I think the 250cc delivered the best show this time.
Yeah, i'm still banging my head on the wall for choosing F1 over MotoGP..

Just look at it >