Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 May 2004, 14:36 (Ref:969926)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Jeff Gordon

OK, I know this has been discussed at length elsewhere, but I thought a dedicated thread might clear the thinking a little (if the mods disagree, they can always merge it).

Is there any possibility of Jeff Gordon driving for Williams in 2005?

I know he's said that he isn't interested in starting from scratch in F1 and that he's very comfortably off in the Nextel Cup, but... but he supposedly could talk about little else for weeks after his drive in a Williams at Indianapolis last year. He also said that, if he were offered Schuey's seat at Ferrari, "Absolutely I'd take it! I mean, who would turn that down? Nobody would." Sure, Ferrari has an emotional pull that Williams doesn't, but the guy clearly has an interest in F1.

So, come on, people: is it even remotely possible?
Old 13 May 2004, 14:41 (Ref:969932)   #2
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to think it might be, though perhaps not in 2005. Gordan is one of only two NASCAR drivers I can think of who could really get to grips with an F1 car.

In reality, I guess it's unlikey seeing as how big a series NASCAR is in the States. I also suspect Williams' potential driver list is already long enough!

Nice idea though.
Old 13 May 2004, 15:11 (Ref:969953)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jeff Gordon will never race in F1.
Old 13 May 2004, 15:24 (Ref:969960)   #4
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
jeff has just started winning in nascar again - he's on a roll, gotta go for 100 nextel cup wins for sure
Old 13 May 2004, 16:04 (Ref:969989)   #5
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As sad as I am to say it, I don't think we will ever see Gordon in F1.

He has a lifetime contract with Rich Hendrick, and I don't remember the details, but I think it states that he can not race for any other NASCAR team. I'm not sure if there is anything about leaving NASCAR to race in another series, though. At any rate, if he did try F1, he would have to have Hendrick's blessing... as when the party in F1 is over and he wants to return to roundy-round cars, Hendrick would have to have a seat ready for him...

A lot of his team were ed off at the Indy test in the Williams last year... I've heard it compared to making your wife watch you sleep with another woman by a few of his crew members. They want him 100% focussed on NASCAR and their team's future...

Then there's the whole sponsor issue, how happy would they be to have Gordon leave them/NASCAR, just to come back with potentially different sponsors next time around...

It's a shame, really. I think Gordon would make a decent F1 driver. But we will never know...
Old 13 May 2004, 16:12 (Ref:969996)   #6
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think there are a group of Nascar drivers that could handle F1. Gordan is one of them. I really doubt that it would happen for any of the current Nascar drivers. Essentially they'd have to be willing to risk their careers, take a pay cut and completely revamp their lives to compete in F1.
Old 13 May 2004, 16:15 (Ref:969998)   #7
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
God was I the only one who read the article on f1-live the other day!? As much as I'd like to see Jeff in F1 it doesn't appear he's willing to make the jump. He's got it made in the U.S. and NASCAR. Here's the article anyways, I think the last line pretty much sums up the debate:

www.f1-live.com

Gordon scraps Formula One dream
'At one time it was something I thought about'

Jeff Gordon in Jenson Button's shoes? - it nearly happened, says the US racer.

The American, a legend in NASCAR circles, said he has 'had phone calls' from a Formula One team or three over the years whilst doing circles in his tin-top.

But the real opportunity came in 1998.

'They asked me to go to CART for a year,' he said, 'then I would test for BAR.'

Gordon, the multiple NASCAR champion, opted for the familiar route and, after a day at the wheel of Juan Pablo Montoya's BMW-Williams, he regrets very little.

'It was fun with Juan at Indianapolis,' said Jeff of the PR event.

'But it hit home just what kind of dedication you need - and what sort of dedication it would require from a new driver. New tracks, brand new car.

'And then I'd have to take my whole life in the US and move it to Europe.

'At one time, it was something I thought about. But not any more.'

Last edited by TeddyG; 13 May 2004 at 16:18.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 13 May 2004, 16:30 (Ref:970015)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've seen those quotes from Gordon somewhere else.

Months ago.
Old 13 May 2004, 17:11 (Ref:970053)   #9
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I doubt it, but if a proper test can somehow be arranged sometime this summer, he will find himself at the wheel of a Williams sometime this summer.
Old 13 May 2004, 17:13 (Ref:970057)   #10
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's not interested guys...he's a fan of the sport, which is why he was at Spain during the NASCAR break. If he does drive, it won't be anytime soon IMO.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 13 May 2004, 18:57 (Ref:970155)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Teddy G...fair enough, but having read the latest Nigel Roebuck column in Autosport, Jeff seems to want to come to F1. I think he really wants to try it out you know.

He's a rank outsider for the seat, but don't rule him out!
Old 13 May 2004, 19:13 (Ref:970169)   #12
AllofaSutton
Rookie

AllofaSutton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO it wasn't a true test, but a PR moment that made for good TV. Am I mistaken or was it advertised that way last year or not? I cant see JG leaving NASCAR for anything, not even MS' car. He has said it for years, he would like to test the OW cars but not race them. The subject has been brought up for years and its always the same.

Last edited by AllofaSutton; 13 May 2004 at 19:14.
Old 13 May 2004, 19:34 (Ref:970203)   #13
minirda
Racer

minirda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noway Jeff Gordon, he should have been in formula one already. He is to old to even think of a f1 career. What's the last driver who was past his 30ies making a F1 debut???
Old 13 May 2004, 19:41 (Ref:970210)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
McNish?
Old 13 May 2004, 19:52 (Ref:970221)   #15
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Damon Hill?
Old 13 May 2004, 19:58 (Ref:970224)   #16
minirda
Racer

minirda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by knowlesy
McNish?

Okay, but Damon and Alan are European...
Old 13 May 2004, 20:42 (Ref:970254)   #17
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Jeff Gordon

Quote:
Originally posted by BSchneiderFan

Is there any possibility of Jeff Gordon driving for Williams in 2005?
No, there is NOT.
F1 does not need Jeff Gordon, Williams does not need Jeff Gordon.
Jeff Gordon wanted a test drive with Williams but FW snubbed him. He's just not wanted at F1! Probably he's not good enough. He should just stick to circling around on ovals.
Old 13 May 2004, 21:03 (Ref:970272)   #18
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The earlier offer BAR made to him he most likely turned down because of all the uncertainty behind it, spending a year in a different series and then testing for an unproven team, without a race ride even guaranteed, let alone one that would produce top finishes. Looking at it from that point of view, it is easy to see why Gordon turned it down. Why leave a sure thing for that?

After thinking about it again, I would not be surprised at all if Jeff Gordon would make the switch in 2005 if Williams makes an offer, contingent on if he wins the 2004 Nextel Cup championship. Right now, he is third in the championship, tied for the most victories so far and leading outright in top-10 finishes, which are the key in NASCAR's point system. He already has four championships; 2004 would make five, at the age of 33. He would be chasing the elusive seven titles that Richard Petty and Dale Earnhardt have both achieved. In stock car racing, great drivers can have great careers well into their forties, so he doesn't have to fear much about losing ground if he takes a sabbatical in Europe. Say he takes the Williams gig, stays two years, and it doesn't quite work out? He will show up at Daytona in 2007 at 35. Earnhardt didn't his stride until age 35, winning six of his NASCAR titles after that age. He doesn't really have much to lose at this point, since he has a lifetime contract at Hendrick he can always fall back on.
Old 13 May 2004, 21:05 (Ref:970274)   #19
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Jeff Gordon

Quote:
Originally posted by freud
No, there is NOT.
F1 does not need Jeff Gordon, Williams does not need Jeff Gordon.
Jeff Gordon wanted a test drive with Williams but FW snubbed him. He's just not wanted at F1! Probably he's not good enough. He should just stick to circling around on ovals.
Sounds like a lousy opinion stated as fact to me...Maybe you should try using "IMHO" once in awhile...

Am I the only one that heard Dave DeSpain on his show Windtunnel, state that Jeff has left a small window open, to the effect of, "he's really not interested, but if somebody made me an offer, I would consider it". Dave went on to say that Bernie Ecclestone himself, is considering backing a Gordon move to F1 and he went on to have talks with Frank Williams about giving Jeff a test. Also it was well shown that Jeff was at the Spanish GP, doing alot of glad-handing in the paddock.

Thats what I heard, I swear!

Danica Patrick
Old 13 May 2004, 22:05 (Ref:970323)   #20
freud
Veteran

First of all.. Who's Dave Despain?? I dont think Dave Despain has any credibility to comment on a racing league based in EUROPE.. OK!

And, yes, I expect Jeff Gordon glad-handing in the f1 paddock. Afterall F1 is head and shoulders above any ^%$# racing league in the US. As I said earlier, F1 doesnt need Jeff Gordon... Jeff Gordon needs F1.
Old 13 May 2004, 22:30 (Ref:970357)   #21
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jeff Gordon doesn't need squat from any super money grubbing FormulaBernie
jeff at count last (after divorce) he is still worth 50 million US dollars- oh he needs F1.
I think he would like to do it now that he doesn't need to prove NASCAR to anyone- he could run NASCAR for the next TWENTY years and still be competitive.
F1 would be a good diversion for a focused and talented already wealthy media saavy Driver and racer.
He might win a few in the right car and certainly would make even more money doing it and the exposure would be priceless. Think about this nonsense, it would be simply fun for him, and if he wins one or two simply brilliant for his career...
afterall he has done alot already...
Old 13 May 2004, 23:05 (Ref:970392)   #22
freud
Veteran

Yeah these NASCAR drivers do run long.. pity f1 doesnt work that way. Once you're 32 plus, you're, kind of, over the hill.
Old 13 May 2004, 23:05 (Ref:970393)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rather bizarrely both F1 and NASCAR don't claim to be better than each other. Different is what they are and I don't see any need for a battle here. Appreciation for the other is clearly the way forward and we see this from many involved in each series. (McLaren and Penske NASCAR had a link up to learn from each other recently IIRC)

As for Jeff Gordan he has said he would love to do F1. And I think because of his previous achievements he is in the unusual position of being able to do it solely for fun.

However he would have to give up a lot too - a lot of fun stuff.

There is no 'need' on either side, although both would benefit.

It isn't going to happen, but that doesn't mean he and us can't think about it. After all in this week's Autosport he says he'd jump at a hypothetical F1 drive. He also was very wide eyed and loved the Williams test (and was very humble). He was also keen to get to a GP - something he achieved in Spain.

Williams enjoyed him driving their car and he enjoyed driving it. Where is the problem in that?

It is a good thing that two (worlds apart) series can cross over for once. It is much better than being blinkered to other things.

Last edited by Adam43; 13 May 2004 at 23:07.
Old 13 May 2004, 23:17 (Ref:970399)   #24
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah, the voice of moderation, from none other than the moderator!

Dave DeSpain is one of our best talking heads on any kind of motor racing, from motorcycles, to lawnmowers, and everything in between, and believe it or not, he does know a thing or two about F1. I trust what he says, and he never said this was a done deal. Just that there's still talk going on, and thats good enough for now...

Danica Patrick
Old 13 May 2004, 23:21 (Ref:970403)   #25
Panzer
Racer

Panzer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd love to see it happen, but i'm afraid it won't.