Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Mar 2024, 23:56 (Ref:4200765)   #826
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
That article from Benson is interesting enough but of course he doesn't know the story either. He hangs his hat somewhat on the statement from Red Bull re dismissal of the complaint being brief and offering not a lot of detail but in my experience, any time a statement is put out that does or could have legal consequences, the advice from the legal fraternity has consistently been to say as little as possible.

Throughout this whole sorry mess, one thing that I've wondered is that age-old question from a gazillion detective stories - "who benefits?".

Originally, when the investigation into the allegations against Horner was announced by Red Bull, the media theory was that Mintzlaff was behind it all - wanting more power over the race team or something like that. Then as "leaks" started to appear in Dutch media, the theory was that either Verstappen snr or Marko (or both) were behind it all. Those theories remained after the complaint was dismissed but alleged text communication was emailed to various F1 figures. Then Marko claimed that he could be suspended (no announcement from Red Bull of any investigation of him prior to that), then Jos had more to say etc. Other theories have suggested that Horner is looking to own the team outright with the Thais, or that the Thais and Austrians are in some kind of power struggle.

We of course haven't had any statement from Red Bull or Red Bull Racing confirming that the complainant has been suspended, the coverage of that has all been based on a single media report that has then spread. I had a video land in my YouTube feed a few days ago, identifying the complainant, saying that she'd been suspended once the time deadline for lodging an appeal had passed, it also said that she was in a relationship with Verstappen Snr - no way of knowing if even one bit of that video was factually accurate.

Through it all though, I've wondered what benefit any of them gain by messing about with Red Bull's largest branding tool, and a very successful one at that. The only theories (which is all we have so far) that might fit that (to my mind) are an ego-driven attack from Verstappen Snr, in support of his alleged girlfriend OR the theory about Horner wanting to buy out Red Bull's share of Red Bull Racing and him co-owning with the Thais. In both cases, I can see that some would benefit from discrediting Horner.

Of course there are competitors in pit lane who might benefit if the wheels fall off the Red Bull Racing bandwagon but I honestly think that is probably too far-fetched and none of them live exclusively in glass houses.

This may be far from over, or we may not hear anything further but one thing is for sure, it has been an unholy mess and quite an extraordinary series of claims, leaks, counter claims and happenings - all (at this stage) to end up right back where we were prior to the claims being made, the only change being that the claimant has allegedly been suspended on full pay.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 00:17 (Ref:4200767)   #827
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
The complaint being dismissed does not mean there was no evidence to support the claim.

'Post hoc ergo propter hoc, is an informal fallacy that states that because an event followed another, it was caused by it. Correlation appears to suggest causality, but sometimes it's not the case.

In the Horner situation, the complaint was dismissed after the board received the KC's report. But that is not necessarily the same as the report being crucial in that decision.'
Does not mean that there was evidence to support the claim either. Reality is that neither of us know for sure (nor does Mr Benson, whom you quote).
Old 11 Mar 2024, 14:04 (Ref:4200831)   #828
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marko now safe, Boner canned before OZ?

RB afraid of the threat of a U2 song: "Don't be horny, be Christian"?

Business F1 stirring the pot as usual too.

RB state their full support for CH yet again...

https://f1-insider.com/formel-1-horn...-feuern-62457/

https://speedcafe.com/christian-horn...bizarre-twist/

Last edited by TWRv12; 11 Mar 2024 at 14:15.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 14:40 (Ref:4200842)   #829
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
this U2 connection and their connection to the team thing is silly but reminds me of Spaceballs so thats pretty awesome!

Old 11 Mar 2024, 14:42 (Ref:4200843)   #830
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While the U2 connection might be real, I really wonder if the song threat (and impending firing of CH) is real. I sort of doubt it, but... this story has been pretty crazy so far, so never say never.

Richard
Old 11 Mar 2024, 14:48 (Ref:4200846)   #831
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Stop the world. I want to get off.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 15:03 (Ref:4200849)   #832
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Stop the world. I want to get off.
now thats how you name a song!
Old 11 Mar 2024, 16:09 (Ref:4200857)   #833
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Having made the rookie error of delving into one or two Youtube clips on the topic, it amazes me how many boringly voiced - presumably AI generated - articles there are which offer click-bait titles but remarkably little of substance.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 17:51 (Ref:4200867)   #834
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Having made the rookie error of delving into one or two Youtube clips on the topic, it amazes me how many boringly voiced - presumably AI generated - articles there are which offer click-bait titles but remarkably little of substance.
No doubt. I find that you have to pick a source (in this case YouTube channel) that you find you like/trust vs. whatever the algorithm suggests. There is quite a bit of auto generated YT content that exists purely to generate revenue regardless of it's accuracy.

Richard
Old 11 Mar 2024, 18:10 (Ref:4200874)   #835
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
While the U2 connection might be real, I really wonder if the song threat (and impending firing of CH) is real. I sort of doubt it, but... this story has been pretty crazy so far, so never say never.

Richard
Somehow I cannot see Bono ( not Hamilton’s engineer) getting worked up by the subject matter.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 18:16 (Ref:4200876)   #836
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Somehow I cannot see Bono ( not Hamilton’s engineer) getting worked up by the subject matter.
You might be right, but as I posted previously:

"The main reason for dismissing Horner now anyway would be because the Irish rock band U2 is getting involved. This is because the brother of the woman at issue in the investigation is the brother-in-law of guitarist 'The Edge'. The band reportedly wants to release a song called: 'Don't be Horny, Be a Christian'. The band's pressure with this with their mega influence would have persuaded the Thai owner of Red Bull to fire Horner after all."
Old 11 Mar 2024, 18:30 (Ref:4200880)   #837
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

"The main reason for dismissing Horner now anyway would be because the Irish rock band U2 is getting involved. This is because the brother of the woman at issue in the investigation is the brother-in-law of guitarist 'The Edge'. The band reportedly wants to release a song called: 'Don't be Horny, Be a Christian'. The band's pressure with this with their mega influence would have persuaded the Thai owner of Red Bull to fire Horner after all."

Does Chalerm Yoovidhya, that's the Thai owner of Red Bull, even listen to U2?
Old 11 Mar 2024, 18:35 (Ref:4200883)   #838
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Does Chalerm Yoovidhya, that's the Thai owner of Red Bull, even listen to U2?
Assuming this U2 song thing is true (I am doubtful), the question is... Does Chalerm Yoovidhya care about the level of negative attention this will bring to the Red Bull brand if it were to happen.

Richard
Old 11 Mar 2024, 19:43 (Ref:4200897)   #839
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Assuming this U2 song thing is true (I am doubtful), the question is... Does Chalerm Yoovidhya care about the level of negative attention this will bring to the Red Bull brand if it were to happen.

Richard

That will depend on how well it sells.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 20:20 (Ref:4200902)   #840
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I am/was a big U2 fan.Given how glacial their work and release process is the song ,if it exists , won’t be out for another 5 years anyway.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 20:27 (Ref:4200905)   #841
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
That will depend on how well it sells.
I am not sure if you are joking or not. It actually doesn't have to sell much if at all. It's existence is all that would matter. In fact, they may not even need to make it. For the most part this drama is somewhat living within the F1 bubble (fan, teams, F1 specific media, etc.) I think the juiciness of the drama has allowed it to creep over into mainstream news just a bit. This is given name recognition of both Red Bull and Geri Halliwell as well as anything that hints at a "me too" type of situation. Having a highly successful and well known pop culture band such as U2 enter the fray and it elevates this to a much higher level of visibility. It would spill right out of the F1 bubble and into "general news".

It would play out in the media as "U2 creates song to protest sexual abuse by Red Bull executives" or something to that effect. Is that a fair assessment or portrayal of the situation? We know it's more nuanced than that, but the headline has to be short and have a hook.

Richard
Old 11 Mar 2024, 20:29 (Ref:4200908)   #842
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
I am/was a big U2 fan.Given how glacial their work and release process is the song ,if it exists , won’t be out for another 5 years anyway.
Haha. That is true!

Richard
Old 11 Mar 2024, 21:01 (Ref:4200911)   #843
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I am not sure if you are joking or not. It actually doesn't have to sell much if at all. It's existence is all that would matter. In fact, they may not even need to make it. For the most part this drama is somewhat living within the F1 bubble (fan, teams, F1 specific media, etc.) I think the juiciness of the drama has allowed it to creep over into mainstream news just a bit. This is given name recognition of both Red Bull and Geri Halliwell as well as anything that hints at a "me too" type of situation. Having a highly successful and well known pop culture band such as U2 enter the fray and it elevates this to a much higher level of visibility. It would spill right out of the F1 bubble and into "general news".

It would play out in the media as "U2 creates song to protest sexual abuse by Red Bull executives" or something to that effect. Is that a fair assessment or portrayal of the situation? We know it's more nuanced than that, but the headline has to be short and have a hook.

Richard

Sell is not quite the right word to use, what with streaming. However, if the song is going to make an impact, people will still need to be able to listen to it. It doesn't matter how well known U2 are if there isn't an actual product.
Old 11 Mar 2024, 22:39 (Ref:4200921)   #844
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Sell is not quite the right word to use, what with streaming. However, if the song is going to make an impact, people will still need to be able to listen to it.
No doubt if this hypothetical song sold (streaming is sales as well) well it would increase the exposure. My point is there would be a significant impact even with low sales.

Quote:
It doesn't matter how well known U2 are if there isn't an actual product.
It doesn't exist today and it's having an impact.

Richard
Old 11 Mar 2024, 23:51 (Ref:4200929)   #845
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
No doubt. I find that you have to pick a source (in this case YouTube channel) that you find you like/trust vs. whatever the algorithm suggests. There is quite a bit of auto generated YT content that exists purely to generate revenue regardless of it's accuracy.

Richard
Long time photographer and part time journo Kym Illman has made a decebt fist of reportimg various faces seen around the paddock involved in this saga.
He regularly posts content from.GP weekends about drivers, their partners, agents/managers etc in a 'That was imteresting to see so-and-so talkimg to each other, I wonder what were they discussimg?' kind of manner.

Lots of interesting tit bits which may or may not be significant.
Old 12 Mar 2024, 00:19 (Ref:4200933)   #846
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I want to get off.

That's how this whole debacle started!
Old 12 Mar 2024, 02:22 (Ref:4200945)   #847
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Long time photographer and part time journo Kym Illman has made a decebt fist of reportimg various faces seen around the paddock involved in this saga.
He regularly posts content from.GP weekends about drivers, their partners, agents/managers etc in a 'That was imteresting to see so-and-so talkimg to each other, I wonder what were they discussimg?' kind of manner.

Lots of interesting tit bits which may or may not be significant.
Thanks. I found his YT and Instagram. I will check him out.

Richard
Old 12 Mar 2024, 12:37 (Ref:4200985)   #848
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
No doubt if this hypothetical song sold (streaming is sales as well) well it would increase the exposure. My point is there would be a significant impact even with low sales.

Richard

The impact is minimal.
Old 12 Mar 2024, 13:22 (Ref:4200988)   #849
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Richard
Impact meaning extra clicks on clickbait sites?
Old 12 Mar 2024, 15:14 (Ref:4201003)   #850
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
The impact is minimal.
"Current" impact minimal? I would agree it is minimal, but also not zero. At least yesterday it was keeping the story alive in social media.

I do think we are going round and round here. My original comments were around "if" U2 were actually going to do this and my opinion as to how that would impact the overall situation. It wasn't focused on some type of social media tease. And I think it is very obvious that if it actually did happen, it would elevate the pressure significantly given it would move out of F1 centric news items and into a more global news item.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Impact meaning extra clicks on clickbait sites?
That is just an intermediate step. The impact is that it's being talked about in social media even if it is likely not real. I tend to think Red Bull is trying to sit tight and hope that it all settles down or that other stories rise to the top in the news cycle (such as Massa has done yesterday/today) and that new revelations and/or claims don't keep popping up.

As I have said, I frankly doubt the veracity of the entire U2 song story. I guess it still might materialize, but I wouldn't bet on it. I think the real potential at this point is if the complainant takes this to court.

Richard