Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 9 Sep 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1090869)   #1
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Help garcon choose his next car...

Bit of a selfish topic, I know. And one that might not be entirely unfamiliar to some of you...

But you might help me keep some of my friends. You see, what car I should buy next is a constant pre-occupation in my thoughts and conversations from around six months after I bought the last one. Invariably it becomes a cycle of, "this week I'm mostly intending to buy a..." Which generally attracts far more ridicule than help.

I have a 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX Sportwagon (that's the 5 door), and my plan - unless I'm severely tempted by something earlier - is to swap it around the end of March next year when it's 2 years old. In round numbers, I'll be looking to add about £10k to the part-ex, so let's call it a budget of around £25k. Nice.

I cover maybe 15,000 miles a year, including a frequent but short trip to the office, maybe 5,000 or more motorway miles (mainly business), and a few thousand "recreational" miles (I do enjoy a good A/B-road blast).

I've considered the two car approach - maybe a 10 year old Mercedes E-class diesel and something for fun. But I only have an open car port and a narrow drive, meaning the fun car is exposed to the elements and lots of maneouvreing to get it out... being fundamentally lazy, I suspect the fun car would either be neglected or over-used, which kinda defeats the object.

So, we're looking at one car that fits a compromise of different roles. Comfort and luxury for the 80% 'normal' mileage - decent size, luxury spec, probably auto - along with sufficient performance and 'evoness' ("the thrill of driving" - you'll know what I mean if you've seen the magazine) to keep me entertained when enjoying the other 20%.

Rather than start on the endless list of possibilities, and because you've probably stopped reading by now anyway, I'll let you throw ideas (and/or abuse) at me before I go into what I've considered...
Old 9 Sep 2004, 15:08 (Ref:1090926)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If you want to stick with the 'sure footedness' of 4wd how about something from the Audi stable? 25-Large should get you the choice of varying A4, A6 or A8 options. An A6 4.2 would be my choice.

Also:
BMW M5 or M3 - The M3 can come with the SMG semi-auto 'box.
Merc AMG C32 - auto only, small and nimble.
Merc AMG E55 - Silly Quick.
Jag XJR - Quite Frankly, Lush.

If you can live with a coupe there's plenty of Porsches, Nissan 350Z's, Alfa GTV and maybe the new GT, and plenty of Jap Metal (Skylines, Supras) etc.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 20:40 (Ref:1091284)   #3
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
M5.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 23:35 (Ref:1091422)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally Id suggest a MK4 Supra, I beleive they go up to S reg in this country, although there are specalists who deal in Brand New imports, and as they are Japaneese nothing to worry about in terms of the driving postiton. As far as Im aware the car also has all the usual extras, traction control etc, and comes in a automatic version as well as a manual, still with 330bhp under the bonnet it dosent really make that much differnce in accleration if its a Manual or automatic 0-60 is around 5.0-5.5 secs and a top speed of 165mph so Ive been told, lots of space inside too, although I woudnt want to have more than 4 or 5 people in the car for more than 1hr at a time. Fuel consumption isnt that bad either for a 3.0ltr twin turbo car, reportedly around 22-24mpg around town rising to up to 34-36mpg on a run, the car is fairly low maintence too, providing u service it regularly, and as ud guess as its a 3.0ltr car it can withstand a lot of miles. It should be a good reliable car, with more power than u can probably handle, its a Toyota after all.

Im lucky enough to own a MK3 Turbo Auto supra, and whilst the insurance is high (Group 17) I can honestly say its the best car me and my gf have ever owned, its got great reliabilty, a lot of extras for a car of its age (remember its a 1986 design) including traction control, air conditioning, CD player etc, and from what Ive heard and read the MK4 is even better, and u can pick a decent one up with around 30-50,000 miles on the clock for around £10,000. Even less if u dont mind a bit more mileage, around £7,000-£8,000 for one with say 70-90,000 miles.

Or one other good option could be a MK3 Supra, u can pick up a 1992 spec model for around £2,995 with around 40,000-60,000 miles on the clock. Yes I know the car is getting on a bit now but the newer cars of the MK3 are all in pretty much mint condition and have generally been looked after, and with 240bhp (up to 300bhp safely with a boost controller, without needing further mods) under the bonnet it should have all u need power wise. Hope that helps.
Old 9 Sep 2004, 23:38 (Ref:1091423)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh and add to that list a MR2 Turbo - not a very practical car but its certainly fun, and u can pick up say a R reg for around £6,000 with good mileage. 260bhp under the bonnet too is ample for most people, and of course its mid engined so perfect for a blast around on A and B roads, not to mention country lanes.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 01:38 (Ref:1091469)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
VW Golf R32. AWD, a big chunk o' ponies-small and nimble.

Though the 4.2 A6 is molto tempting.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 06:32 (Ref:1091605)   #7
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could go a 4 door R34, good power, big, I believe some are AWD too, NA is 150ish kW (~200hp) and the turbos are about 200kW (~300hp) http://prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/...p?StockID=2125
http://prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/...p?StockID=2343

Also you could get a Stagea wagon basically a R34 wagon with slightly different front end styling. http://prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/...p?StockID=1108

If you wanted to go a little bit older then there is the R33 4 door, I'm thinking of getting one down the track as a family car...long way down the track

Thats enough Nissan marketing from me :P I'm not sure how hard it is to import cars the UK though.

I think you could get a Audi S4 for your kind of money..not sure how things are priced in your end of the world.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 10 Sep 2004, 08:10 (Ref:1091665)   #8
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gtr69
I'm not sure how hard it is to import cars the UK though.

I think you could get a Audi S4 for your kind of money..not sure how things are priced in your end of the world.
They've just made it much harder to import Japanese-spec vehicles into the UK, it is now practically impossible to bring in anything modifyed.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 11:20 (Ref:1091803)   #9
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks guys, keep it coming!

A 4.2 Audi is certainly tempting. I'm an admirer of Audi build quality and I prefer the more 'neutral' image Audi has when compared with BMW and Merc. However the S4 seems to be keeping significantly the wrong side of £30k, the S6 was so unpopular it's almost impossible to find them (which in a way I like, but severely limits choice), old S8s are a four figure repair bill waiting to happen, and recent S8 values are artificially high - they're going to get hammered soon when used values of the new A8 slide to around the £30k mark.

There are two models I would consider from the BMW stable. The M5 and the Alpina B10 V8. I have a feeling one test drive in an M5 would remove all other options from my list, though running costs are a little scary. I think I could live with it being a manual.

Somewhat reluctantly, I have almost ruled out AMG Mercedes. My previous car was a '98 E320, and I do like the E55, but I'd rather have something a bit different. C32 values are approaching my budget, but now it's a discontinued model they're going to carry on sliding. And it's very much the poor relation of the AMG family. And new AMG's are too expensive and too unreliable.

If I bought a previous model XJR I'm sure I'd be perfectly happy with it, but I'd be constantly wishing I was in a new XJR - which is an infinitely better car. Similar story with the S-Type R, though that is still an option - there are plenty of recent low mileage examples around for very sensible money.

Having been part of the performance Japanese market for several years (four Imprezas!) I think I'm looking for something different now, so although the Supra is a great car (and one I might've looked at 10 years ago) it's not on my list.

One of my mates was a Nissan dealer for years, and I've had a few Nissans, including a 200SX and a Primera GT. He also knows Andy Middlehurst - the only official UK Skyline importer. 5-10 years ago if I hadn't bought a Scooby I'd have bought a Skyline in preference to the Supra - if I could have afforded a decent official UK one. Middlehurst still has a slow but steady supply of top notch R34 GT-Rs, but I think they're a bit too hardcore for me these days... If I could get one, a Stagea would be most tempting - mainly because everyone would say, "what the was that?!" when I fly past... Longer term, Nissan plan to import the Infiniti range, which would give me some new medium/large sports luxury saloons to consider. And I am still a bit of a Nissan fan...

The 350Z is the best new coupe on the market, and would probably have been my choice four or five years ago. Top of the range GT spec, metallic grey with the tan leather interior... brilliant car. But I'm put off by extremely limited luggage space and questionable comfort and refinement on long journeys. I might have a go in one though.

Finally, there's an option within the Subaru stable. The new Legacy is a superb car, Lexus build quality, Subaru reliability and 4WD. In 3.0R trim, it's no slouch either, but perhaps a little mundane. Subaru are still considering whether to import a more sporty Spec B version of the 3.0R - that may be very tempting. A proper grown up performance Subaru that's a million miles away from the Max Power image of the Impreza.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 11:36 (Ref:1091820)   #10
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Almost forgot... (I've only just started... trust me... )

Through my company I'm a member of the Vauxhall Partners discount scheme. Which on the face of it isn't much use. I wouldn't be seen dead buying a Vauxhall, even a Monaro. But, they also include discounts on new Saabs. And I can get nearly 5 grand off the list price of a 9-5 Aero...

...admittedly, Joe Public can walk into a Saab dealership and get two grand off before he even opens his mouth...

Last edited by garcon; 10 Sep 2004 at 11:38.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 13:20 (Ref:1091949)   #11
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
...admittedly, Joe Public can walk into a Saab dealership and get two grand off before he even opens his mouth...
I recently found out my own early 9-5 is worth little more than £2500 which is a bit of a come down from the list price of £25k 6years ago. Still the first owner will have lost more than twice (if not nearer to three) times what I will have on the car. So beware if buying with your own money.
Old 10 Sep 2004, 13:49 (Ref:1091977)   #12
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Yes, resale is certainly an issue. It's easy to be tempted by big discounts on new prices, but I suspect the best value for money on a 9-5 is 10-15k on a 2-3 year old one. And an all new 9-5 is supposedly in the pipeline for 2006.
Old 13 Sep 2004, 16:13 (Ref:1095283)   #13
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
garcon - bmw alpinas. get one. my mum's just bought her dream car, a b8 v8 4.6 litre coupe. it really is absolutely awesome. my dad's had a b10 biturbo for a while too, i drove that the other day and it's easy to drive economically.
Old 14 Sep 2004, 14:43 (Ref:1096372)   #14
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You beat me to it with the Legacy suggestion Garc', that would be my first choice (hell, at least take a test drive and tell me if it's any good with the 6 pot lump in the front). If you were to go slightly over budget you'd be getting into early 993 territory....
Old 17 Sep 2004, 16:42 (Ref:1099519)   #15
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've had a 3.0 Audi A4 Quattro for almost three years now (must get an MOT sorted) and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I think they still produce an S4 with the same engine but that ramps up the price accordingly. Mine's got the Auto/Tiptronic gearbox - mainly because they weren't building them with manual boxes when I bought it, but I have to say I've been more than happy with the performance around the country lanes as well as the cruising performance on the motorway.

Last edited by neil_davidson2; 17 Sep 2004 at 16:44.
Old 17 Sep 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1099552)   #16
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Spanner
You beat me to it with the Legacy suggestion Garc', that would be my first choice (hell, at least take a test drive and tell me if it's any good with the 6 pot lump in the front). If you were to go slightly over budget you'd be getting into early 993 territory....
Subaru have confirmed the Legacy 3.0R Spec B!

http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/Su...56F10004A89FC/$FILE/SpecB.pdf

(Needs Adobe Acrobat...)

I've already had a go in the standard auto 3.0R and liked it very much. But as a manual, 0-60 in 6.5 and 151mph, it'll be absolutely storming! Absolutely fully loaded (I defy anyone to come up with anything they'd want that's not fitted as standard, except cruise), £26.5k!

I expect I'll order one next week...

Thread closed!!
Old 18 Sep 2004, 08:39 (Ref:1099981)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Whoa... nice car, dude!