Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 10 Apr 2010, 12:35 (Ref:2670015)   #1
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Crashy 2010

My sick brain has been thought (or sort of) a little game we can do in this first race in Qatar.

It is about guessing who is going to crash in the race . You have to put names of riders; each one of them that crash gives you 2 points, each one who don't crash subtracts you one point.

For example, my guess for MotoGP is: De Puniet, Simoncelli.

If De Puniet crashes but Simmy don't, i get +2 -1 = +1 point. If both of them crashes I get +2 +2 = +4 point. If neither of them decide to go to the landscape, I will have -1 -1 = -2.

As a reward just for playing the round, one gets a bonus of +1 just for writing at least one name.

If it goes well and we find it funny we could go on in others GPs as well.

Possibly it would be interesting to do it for Moto2 too, but I'm afraid we don't know well yet how it will develop so let's it out of this game for the moment.
Old 10 Apr 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2670227)   #2
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm tempted but whoever I choose will most likely crash to his fiery death. I don't want to jinx anyone.

(You sick, sick boy )
Old 10 Apr 2010, 22:54 (Ref:2670328)   #3
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bad taste all round if you ask me! I know its a bit of fun but it still damn well hurts when people crash!!
Old 10 Apr 2010, 23:44 (Ref:2670342)   #4
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Taste or tasteless is in the eye of the beholder, not in the crashes themselves.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2670549)   #5
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schummy View Post
Taste or tasteless is in the eye of the beholder, not in the crashes themselves.
Confucius say?

As a rider this thread gets the thumbs down. But then again I was making bets with Stoner fans on what lap he would crash out on in the races after Laguna, so I'm just as bad... If every crash was a simple lowside and the riders walked away, I would play. But every now and then we have a Rainey or Katoh crash.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 17:00 (Ref:2670936)   #6
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

In every GP (Qatar?) there are crashes, usually many crashes in 125, (ex)250 or MotoGP. We know it, riders know it. What we don't know is who is going to crash. Crashing is inherent to motor racing, it is the outer limit of performance and (as Gilles Villeneuve once said) each driver/rider must explore it. If they don't eventually crash, they are not trying enough.

The vast majority of crashes are harmless or perhaps run-of-the-mill minor injuries, so thinking on crashes as kills or tragedies is a bit out of proportion. If I thought in crashes as tragedies I would not follow bike (or auto) racing at all. Exactly as if I don't like KOs, I don't watch boxing.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 19:28 (Ref:2671044)   #7
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Crashing is inherent to motor racing, it is the outer limit of performance and (as Gilles Villeneuve once said) each driver/rider must explore it. If they don't eventually crash, they are not trying enough.
Gilles Villeneuve died in a racing crash...

You raise pertinent points, Schummy, but call me superstitious - I won't bet on bike crashes.
Old 11 Apr 2010, 23:30 (Ref:2671162)   #8
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

David, I don't want to be cruel but you caused Stoner's crash!

Knowing your cursing record and your abhorrence of crashes, to be consequent you must leave FIM Winners Game, you are causing a lot of accidents!
Old 12 Apr 2010, 05:54 (Ref:2671222)   #9
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Otherwise this is good but I think when injury occurs, then it should be no points IMO.

With injury I mean something that causes rider to miss at least one race.

Last year we had missing due to crashes during races (this just by looking Wikipedia where rider has retired one race and then missing others after that)

Kallio (Laguna Seca)
-
Leonov (Donington)
-
Savadori (Estoril+PI+Sepang)
Iwema (Indy)
Masbou (Misano+Estoril+PI+Sepang+Valencia)

Of course not completely fair. Looking at lower class schedule, there is 5-week break after Sachsenring, while there is three races in four weeks after Sepang event. So an injury which would take month to recover would be much different in those two races.
Old 14 Apr 2010, 11:12 (Ref:2672574)   #10
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
David, I don't want to be cruel but you caused Stoner's crash!

Knowing your cursing record and your abhorrence of crashes, to be consequent you must leave FIM Winners Game, you are causing a lot of accidents!
I don't mind indirectly causing Stoner's harmless lowsides Although I don't think he needs me to curse him in order to do this. I think it's Rossi's curse on him too. A team effort!

Anyway, I just don't want to be seen to be directly willing an accident in order to win something! I prefer to do it slyly by tipping Stoner to win, thus consigning him to almost guaranteed defeat.

If you catch my drift.