Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 Sep 2010, 08:38 (Ref:2753069)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
5 th September,Chelsea Autolegends Show,Chelsea Hospital

Surprised nobody has posted something on this Sundays Autolegends Show at Chelsea Hospital,London.Same place as Flower Show and where those Pensioners live.(its not Stanford Bridge).

Major Race Cars from 917's downwards,Personalities Sir Stirling ,Derek Bell etc,etc,The injured soldier Phil Packer who did London Marathon.Many more.

It's 10 am to 4pm and a super charity and at about 12 Quid very cheap.

Leave some computer bod to post link!
Old 1 Sep 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2753108)   #2
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://www.chelseaautolegends.com/

Although I'm no 'computer bod'
Old 1 Sep 2010, 10:58 (Ref:2753123)   #3
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unless I have missed something I am not sure why you would want to spend £12 to see the cars parked in Central London?

I would prefer to donate £10 to Help the Heroes and buy a Chelsea Pensioner a coffee the next time I see one in the McDonalds on the Kings Road!
Old 1 Sep 2010, 11:42 (Ref:2753138)   #4
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was asked to exhibit, told it was a nominal fee, but at 500 quid it's more than Silverstone Classic!!!!!

Good luck to them. I'm off to Prescott for the weekend where we're charged £50 for two days.

BTW it's run on the QT by some Haymarket directors, so that's why they don't live in real world.
Old 1 Sep 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2753143)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The 12 Quid is to Help the Heros and another lot to Chelsea Pensioners.
Proceeds to Charity.
There are some decent cars parked in that field.
The 500 Pounds cost for a stand not knowing what is going to happen is crazy.
Old 1 Sep 2010, 14:40 (Ref:2753207)   #6
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Simon-By the same logic you would agree with the closing of the Donington Museum?Those cars don't move.
Bringing lots of fancy Historic cars and very well known Public personalities to people who are not usually aware of their existence seems a reasonable thing to do and could help Historic Racing.All in name of an exceptional charity .
It's worth the 12 Quid to see /meet Phil Packer who has done so much for Help the Heros.Will ask him if he ever takes in Macky Dee's in Kings Road as he's on for a free latte from you.Must be slow today!
Old 1 Sep 2010, 15:22 (Ref:2753221)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am an active and ongoing supporter of Help the Heroes and agree that it is a worthy recipient. I hope that it is an extremely successful event especially if all the £12 is going to the charity. It might be an idea to get a link on the H4H website as there is no mention of it there....
Old 2 Sep 2010, 08:47 (Ref:2753540)   #8
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I,m there with the 917, along with a huge line up of other great cars and drivers plus a lot more attractions.

Setting up is on Saturday and the weather is forecast to be good.

I don,t think this is one to be missed and i have to congratulate the organisers for the massive amount of publicity and advertising they have done over the months.

Really looking forward to this spectacle and especially for the charity.

GT.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 09:32 (Ref:2753563)   #9
simon drabble
Veteran

GT917 am I being really blind but where does it say anywhere on either H4H website or indeed on the Chelseaautolegends website that any of the funds are going to Chelsea pensioners or Help for Heroes?
Just need to be sure that the correct message about fund raising is being spread....
Old 2 Sep 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2753584)   #10
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It does in all exhibitors bits and thats why Phil Packers there.

Can't imagine we have all been misled looking at the runners and riders.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 11:16 (Ref:2753595)   #11
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
Unless I have missed something I am not sure why you would want to spend £12 to see the cars parked in Central London?

I would prefer to donate £10 to Help the Heroes and buy a Chelsea Pensioner a coffee the next time I see one in the McDonalds on the Kings Road!
Simon I presume is being Simon! My father was a Chelsea Pensioner for 14 years. They live in a tiny cabin and give up there army pension to live there. It was alright for the soldiers used to barrack conditions but not for the new army. The individual pensioners don't want a pint of beer or a cup of coffee they would rather you gave your money to the £20 million fund required to update their living conditions which have altered little in 300 years!
Old 2 Sep 2010, 11:33 (Ref:2753601)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

Lynx I am not against Chelsea pensioners - far from it and I would happily donate to any charity connected to them. Let us not paint too bleak a picture they make the decision to become one freely and in the summer they make a great sideline income from the tourists and in my experience never turn down a free pint!!

My point is that JR and GT917 have both mentioned the charitable side of this Sunday's event yet the website makes no direct mention of this which is unusual.
In which case I think we should be careful about making the link without confirmation.....
Old 2 Sep 2010, 11:55 (Ref:2753608)   #13
Alan Crook
Veteran

Alan Crook should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think John Ruston is only pushing the event as he is a pensioner himself, not sure if he comes from Chelsea !!!!
Old 2 Sep 2010, 11:59 (Ref:2753609)   #14
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

To answer question if anyone is really interested call Chelsea Legends office on 0845403 1025.
Auction being held on behalf of pensioners.
Sure there are people with time and inclination to do that.Will be an interesting day looking at lineup.

Someone has to pay overheads as with all these things.

My overhead is a 60 Quid donation and a night at Grovenor and what will expensive meal for my misses.Don't see whats wrong with Macky D
That gets me off the hook to do TourBritannia,CER,Spa,Dijon,Ricard,Algarve,Ledenon
before we get out of here.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 12:08 (Ref:2753612)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Chelsea? No chance,never had those elocution lesson things.
Not half classy and well groomed enough.Tomato sauce with my chips
Am I knackered and past it-yes
Noteid see one of the great football matches of all time about Dec 65 at Stamford Bridge , Chelsea v West Ham, 5 all ,with Moore,Hurst Peters etc etc.Thinking about it that was in Fulham.
Will I be let in at 8 30 Sunday morning with that CV?
Old 2 Sep 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2753716)   #16
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>>>>>>Auction being held on behalf of pensioners

Not the other proceeds?

Cracking line up of stars'n'cars tho' (if they all turn up...) and at half the entry price of Autosports Int or Race Retro so TBQH the value's there for the Billies. I did hear on the grapevine that it has been well received among the public, I'd've exhibited if it hadn't been so damned expensive, you've got to shift a lot of pairs of boots to pay that.

I see there's a line up of Talbots - yours there JR?
Old 2 Sep 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2753721)   #17
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

I'm there with a Talbot..but there are four others.We are driving it down for weekend.
The line up is very good as am aware of at least 25 cars from our local area alone.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:10 (Ref:2754885)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

It was superb day out and packed with people who wanted to see cars in a field.

There were dozens of cars !

All proceeds to Chelsea Hospital as it was decided they needed the money .

Sent Simon's D regards to Phil Packer so sure he felt good about that.

Put 10 Quid in kitty for both me and Mr D.and told these blokes dressed in scarlet that if they saw a swarve middle age man with cigar in hand on Kings Rd they were on for beer and Big Mac.

Seriously Mr Packer's some bloke and sure he must have trained on cigs and beer for that trot round London!

A full grid of 60/70's GP Drivers

Kate Silverton is gorgeous

Jay Kay and Mr James Martin from the nearly super star world.

Many of the luminaries of the Historic Racing World

Well I thoroughly enjoyed it apart from the traffic on trip home with London clogged with traffic due to Boris organising a cycle extravaganza .We had overheating Talbots,fuel starvation with heat,(lack of fuel-empty!).Who would want to live there?
Old 5 Sep 2010, 21:58 (Ref:2754909)   #19
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quite simply .......

Fantastic

An absolute success and a credit to everyone who organised and exhibited.
Old 5 Sep 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2754912)   #20
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
I was also there with my Jaguar XK, and have to say what a day it was. Sure, the organisers have a few lessons to learn on how many cars to accept from the public, placement etc, but considering they weren't sure just how it would be received, I think they did a hell of a good job.

Got to chat with Nick Mason, Gregor Marshall and others who came and found ME - usually it's the other way round!

I am thinking I will leave 4th September 2011 free for the 2nd event!
Old 6 Sep 2010, 07:25 (Ref:2755019)   #21
midgetman
Veteran

Sounds like I should have gone...it piddled down at Prescott. Still on the bright side I sold a couple of the brollies I bought for MG Live in June

...but the traffic would have put me off. Us country boys aren't used to jams unless they're in Victoria sponges!
Old 6 Sep 2010, 07:30 (Ref:2755021)   #22
simon drabble
Veteran

I dont know what time the Boris bike ride finished but by 8.30pm last night Kings Road was like a ghost town!
Very glad to hear it was a roaring success and John will happily reimburse the £10 you kindly donated on my behalf. I might be a speccy next weekend at Silverstone if so I will see you there
Old 6 Sep 2010, 09:35 (Ref:2755064)   #23
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, you know what I'm going to ask! Any pics?
Old 6 Sep 2010, 10:02 (Ref:2755076)   #24
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Lots of blokes around with those big cameras.Not me!
Old 6 Sep 2010, 11:24 (Ref:2755114)   #25
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was hoping to go but unfortunately the flat needed tidying up and cleaning before I depart next week for the States.

I have told Richard that I expect it to be immaculate upon my return ...

Anyway the Mazda is going in one of Barry Siddery-Smith's garages while I am away and as he took a car up there, I will get a full report when I see him later this week.

Next year, without fail I will be there with camera ...

Paula