Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Jan 2013, 01:13 (Ref:3185749)   #1
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
2013 Blancpain Endurance Series

I'm surprised no one has made a thread about this wonderful series!

CALENDAR

Sunday, April 14, 2013 - Monza (ITA)
Sunday, June 2, 2013 - Silverstone (GBR)
Sunday, June 30, 2013 - Paul Ricard (FRA)
Sunday, July 28, 2013 - Spa (BEL)
Sunday, September 22, 2013 - Nurburgring (DEU)

LAST YEAR...
...was spoiled by rain.

The heavens opened in Monza, which was not the way I, or anyone else, wanted to start the season. The race started under safety car and the championship ended under safety car (or red flag). Silverstone and Paul Ricard were (relatively) dry, but Spa was a nightmare in the early goings with that crippling rain. Nurburgring was the best race I've seen in the BES... a classic. And, of course, Navarra was red flagged for the rain. Who would have thought it?

Anyway...

Let's hope for better weather this year. I'm not trying to be overly negative, just realistic.

NEWS

Alexander Sims joins Hexis McLaren for Blancpain Endurance Series

I know... it's only 1 article leading to what will be happening in the 2013 season, but it's a start! Hopefully 10 Tenths members can contribute and make this the discussion and updates thread for the world's best GT series (IMHO!)... the Blancpain Endurance Series!
Old 7 Jan 2013, 05:34 (Ref:3185800)   #2
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've followed it on the www, and would love to see a live race someday.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 06:13 (Ref:3185811)   #3
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Fantastic to see Hexis entering, should keep McLaren in the championship hunt.

WRT have said they will return which is good news.

Just hope Marc VDS do the same.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 06:49 (Ref:3185827)   #4
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
Silverstone and Paul Ricard were (relatively) dry
The entire Silverstone race was wet, but I guess it was relatively dry for UK as it wasn't flooding...
Old 7 Jan 2013, 06:51 (Ref:3185828)   #5
Jameson
Racer

Jameson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post

I think you just brought up the 3 main contenders of the coming season. Of course, there might be others, I hope so, but these 3 teams are heavy hitters. Can't wait for the season to begin!
Old 7 Jan 2013, 09:32 (Ref:3185873)   #6
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
It should be a good battle for the title indeed.

Where to for Maxime Martin though? Marc VDS will certainly be weaker without him if he's distracted by his new factory drive in the ALMS.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 09:50 (Ref:3185878)   #7
sublimao
Rookie

Italy
Alassio Italian Riviera
sublimao should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it is true BES is a great championship with great racing.
The rain did not ruin the show.
I was at Monza, there were more than 50 cars and in the heavy rain the show was brilliant. Vale Rossi was present as well and it spiced the lot.
More well known drivers should partake to the series. Looking forward to
watch alive at Monza and Le Castellet cheers to all.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 12:40 (Ref:3185951)   #8
GregoryDG
Racer

Belgium
Ghent, Belgium
GregoryDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It should be a good battle for the title indeed.

Where to for Maxime Martin though? Marc VDS will certainly be weaker without him if he's distracted by his new factory drive in the ALMS.
Seems like he'll still be at Marc VDS, at least for the Spa 24 Hours and the 24 Hours of the Ring.
Old 7 Jan 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3186069)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I'd love the Blancpain Endurance Series to race at the NĆ¼rburgring Nordschleife. It could be the 24 Hours, or a 3-hour race with some GT4 and 911 Carrera Cup cars to fill the 25 km.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 00:54 (Ref:3186239)   #10
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I'd love the Blancpain Endurance Series to race at the NĆ¼rburgring Nordschleife. It could be the 24 Hours, or a 3-hour race with some GT4 and 911 Carrera Cup cars to fill the 25 km.
Ratel said the actual GT3 are not prepared for the Nordchleife, maybe he refers to the setup changes between a BES car and a N24 car, or simply the AM drivers don't want to take such a serious risks, cause lack of runoff area at the ring.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 01:10 (Ref:3186243)   #11
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ratel said the track is too big for TV purposes and that the parts needed to sustain a car for the 3 hours would be too costly for teams to do it as a one off. Thus no full 'Ring BES round.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 01:39 (Ref:3186244)   #12
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breitling24 View Post
I've followed it on the www, and would love to see a live race someday.
I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing the race at Paul Ricard after I attend Le Mans for the very first time.

Quote:

I'm sure they will. I hope Marc VDS forms a WEC team eventually with the BMW Z4 GTE, perhaps in 2014, with Henri Moser, Mike Hezemans, Burt Longin, Bas Leinders, Markus Paltalla, and (perhaps) Maxime Martin. That would be a stellar team. It was last year, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameson View Post
The entire Silverstone race was wet, but I guess it was relatively dry for UK as it wasn't flooding...
I didn't see any of this race, but I heard it was halfway dry. I guess not, now that I see the pictures.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 08:49 (Ref:3186319)   #13
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I didn't see any of this race, but I heard it was halfway dry. I guess not, now that I see the pictures.
I can tell you it was not a pleasant experience to be a spectator that day!

I hope they can fill out the days racing a little more this year. As nice as it was wandering freely down the pitlane and in the garages for an hour, having only the Lamborghini Trofeo for support with a couple of hours at least between races was not my idea of good value for money. Assuming the revival series isn't being attempted again this season I'm interested to hear with whom the series will be sharing the paddocks in 2013.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 11:52 (Ref:3186384)   #14
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do know that Formula Renault NEC will be a support at Silverstone this year. Can't vouch for the racing being much good, but no doubt there will be some stars of the future amongst the field.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 15:37 (Ref:3186434)   #15
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Ratel said [...] the parts needed to sustain a car for the 3 hours would be too costly for teams to do it as a one off. Thus no full 'Ring BES round.
I dont't understand that. It's the same 3 hours as in other races, right?
Old 8 Jan 2013, 15:46 (Ref:3186438)   #16
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I dont't understand that. It's the same 3 hours as in other races, right?
GT3 cars need special suspension components and set-ups for the Nordschleife as far as I'm aware, an unmodified car around there wouldn't last very long with normal GT3 chassis set-ups.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 15:50 (Ref:3186439)   #17
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Ring is unlike any other track for sheer roughness on a car.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3186555)   #18
urdragon
Veteran

Spain
Barcelona
urdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridurdragon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even considering we are talking of three hours, not 24.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 22:00 (Ref:3186586)   #19
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing the race at Paul Ricard after I attend Le Mans for the very first time.
Hope that works out for you, it will be fun. The week after going to the '07 Le Mans, we went to Monza and watched FIA GT1. It's cool the scheduling will let you "stack" a couple of races.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3186602)   #20
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I remember correctly, Porsche mandated that all teams had to use a set of non-standard dampers for the Carrera World Cup that was a support race at the 2011 N24. I think they were built by exe-tc, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old 8 Jan 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3186622)   #21
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdragon View Post
Even considering we are talking of three hours, not 24.
Doesn't matter. Even for a single lap a GT3 in normal circuit configuration would need mods. The suspensions just aren't designed for the amount of travel they'd need on the Nordschleife.
Old 9 Jan 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3186895)   #22
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
GT3 cars need special suspension components and set-ups for the Nordschleife as far as I'm aware, an unmodified car around there wouldn't last very long with normal GT3 chassis set-ups.
Ok, thanks! By the way, the Ultra version of the Audi R8 does the trick?
Old 9 Jan 2013, 20:27 (Ref:3187011)   #23
GT3.14
Veteran

GT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT3.14 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I hope Marc VDS forms a WEC team eventually with the BMW Z4 GTE, perhaps in 2014, with Henri Moser, Mike Hezemans, Burt Longin, Bas Leinders, Markus Paltalla, and (perhaps) Maxime Martin. That would be a stellar team. It was last year, as well.
Dagys said that VDS was planning to enter a BMW powered P2 next year, but that plan has been postponed until 2014.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 01:06 (Ref:3187125)   #24
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3.14 View Post
Dagys said that VDS was planning to enter a BMW powered P2 next year, but that plan has been postponed until 2014.
LMP2 seems a bit strange since most everyone on the driver lineup are GT drivers.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 01:11 (Ref:3187127)   #25
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
Ratel said the track is too big for TV purposes.
Aside from the fact that the 'parts needed' debate is a weird one (pretty sure MVDS, Black Falcon, Haribo, WRT etc used the same cars for both), that comment on TV can't be true? If so, it sums up what's wrong with thinking sometimes. I can think of numerous reasons why it wouldn't be suitable or preferred, but that being one of them is sad. Especially as I was under the impression that BES is mainly run for privateers and gents.

That note aside, I can see the series taking a plummet down towards realistic grid numbers this year, much less than the garage-bursting numbers of last year. National series seem to be back on the rise in some quarters and I can see a few of the major teams giving this one a miss. We already know we're down 4 AF Corse cars and it wouldn't surprise me to see a few more join them.

Hoping Marc VdS are back, but fear that, even if they are, they'll struggle without an adequate replacement for the rounds Martin'll miss; hopefully BMW will help them out with a decent name, someone like Nico Bastian, or they unearth another gem in Belgium.

Hope to see the Bentley join in a round or two at the end too!