Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Dec 2002, 13:17 (Ref:460894)   #1
chrisrb2002
Racer

United Kingdom
Its's dark but I can see a bright light.
chrisrb2002 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What event / Race got you interested in F1

As the subject says, I know that a lot of people got into f1 in 1994 for reasons which may be best left alone here, But for me the first race that I really 'got' was the 1990 Australian GP, boy was Mansell fired up that day (his last race before his first retirement!) and to top it all his best friend Piquet won.

So whats your story?
Old 31 Dec 2002, 13:19 (Ref:460897)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mexico 1990, Mansell round the outside of Berger. It was that one moment for me.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 13:55 (Ref:460928)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well , i was into it a fair bit before this , but i can remember the Europeon GP at Brands Hatch 1985 as if it was yesterday ........that was a big turning moment for me i think .

Last edited by Sato san; 31 Dec 2002 at 13:57.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 13:55 (Ref:460930)   #4
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
don't remember my first F1 race i've seen I was not even ten maybe .. but i've started very intrested in F1 in 1996 ... why I don't know ..but it did and now is a virus ... it has affected all my body cells.. hope i'll never get it out of me

Ciao Marco
Old 31 Dec 2002, 13:56 (Ref:460931)   #5
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i watched bits and bobs of races when i was little and my dad was watching, but i remember South Africa 1983 where Piquet won.
I started watching every single race in 1984. the same year a certain rookie was showing what he could do in a Toleman...
Old 31 Dec 2002, 14:10 (Ref:460955)   #6
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
when i was 8 years old i saw the 1994 British Grand Prix. i still rember the first thing i saw, it was Damon Hill charging towards the screen, then going round the first turn. i was like "wow". and then Murry Walker mentiond something about David Coulthard, which cought my mum off guard because she kinda knew him, from racing againt her nephew in scottish karting. been hooked since
Old 31 Dec 2002, 14:31 (Ref:460971)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
1978 Canadian GP- Gilles wins at home in a Ferrari and I am forever hooked.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 14:37 (Ref:460977)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dunno, I was watching F1 before I can remember.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 14:50 (Ref:460981)   #9
TTT

The 1987 British GP got me hooked on F1 - the spectacle and drama of Nigel Mansell overtaking Piquet that day was a special moment.

Old 31 Dec 2002, 15:08 (Ref:460997)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
No one specific race. I remember watching the Monaco race on "Wide World of Sports" in the '60's (yes, I am a dinosaur!). As a teen I devoured the race reports in "Road & Track" and "Car and Driver." No telly then for the most part so it was like reading a serial in a magazine: each race having it's own story within the context of the season. I always looked forward to Rob Walker's driver ratings and year-end summaries.

I hope to see a race in person one day, preferrably in Europe. I live not far from Indy (about 9 hours drive) but my "idealized" vision of seeing an F1 race means seeing it in Europe. Definitely not Bahrain!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 15:20 (Ref:461004)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Murray Walker was a big influence for me in F1, I used to mimic his commentry when I was a toddler. I remember one instance when me and my Dad were going to watch the Birmingham Super Prix in 1987, and I ran into his room in the morning doing a Murray Walker impression.

Mansell was the other big factor, I remember distincly his race at Brands in 1985 or 1986 when he overtook Piquet going down Pilgrims, classic.

Oh I almost forgot, I always thought the "sparks" that the cars struck up from the undertrays were the coolest thing in the world, I have drawings from primary school of F1 cars throwing up sparks.

Last edited by Sodemo; 31 Dec 2002 at 15:22.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 15:42 (Ref:461027)   #12
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My first memory of F1 was Mansell winning the 1992 British GP which I thought was pretty cool, the next one is when Patrese spun off on the last lap in Germany the same year which I thought was pretty harsh.

My first full season was 1994.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 15:42 (Ref:461028)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
It was one race in 1990, can't remember which, one sunday evening and i was in a girlfriend at the times bedroom, the highlights were on BBC2 and she was sitting on my lap facing me in an "uncompramising position" and i was watching Nigel Mansell over her shoulder driving the Ferrari, i got a slap for it when she realised that i wasn't paying "attention" to her, but i got hooked on it after that.

You can change a girlfriend, but you can't change an obsession
Old 31 Dec 2002, 18:06 (Ref:461096)   #14
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First race I remember was Monaco 93. I remember nothing about the race (I was 7 at the time) but there and then I started cheering for the guy in the #0 car, Damon...
Old 31 Dec 2002, 18:12 (Ref:461097)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
mr v, were you "multi-tasking" at the time?
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 18:15 (Ref:461099)   #16
Tye
Racer

Canada
Canada
Tye has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
First race event

I have vivid memories of the events that perked my interest in racing.

I was fortunate enough to have watched Gilles Villeneuve race in 1975 and 1976 while he was competing for the Formula Atlantic series at a track called Westwood, which is just outside of Vancouver,B.C.,Canada.

It was only a matter of time that he made his mark in F1.

Tye
Old 31 Dec 2002, 18:17 (Ref:461101)   #17
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco 96. I won't bore you all with the story again, everyone's heard it by now
Old 31 Dec 2002, 18:38 (Ref:461113)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same as badoer fan interestingly.... I was already into Cart racing, and was watching Monaco 96', tape delayed at 1 or so in the morning got me interested.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 31 Dec 2002, 18:44 (Ref:461117)   #19
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Like JohnSSC, I am a dinosaur. I watched the Monaco GP on ABC's Wide world of Sports as akid and remember vividly Bandini's horrific crash in 1967. The Movie, Grand Prix, made a huge impression on me and I would recreate the scenes with my Matchbox and Corgi Formula One racers. The moment that really made an impression though, was finding a Road & Track at my sister's college Library and reading Rob Walker's great account of Jackie Stewart's victory at Monaco in 1971. At that moment I was hooked. I was lucky enough to see my first F1 race a year later, my dad having givien into my begging and taking me to Watkins Glen in '72.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 18:52 (Ref:461119)   #20
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spa 1989. But it really nailed me at Phoenix 1990. Needless to say Alesi can do no wrong in my book ever since.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 19:01 (Ref:461126)   #21
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I also recall the articles in Car and Driver (I think) by Innes Ireland - one in particular involved his revisiting some abandoned tracks in Europe. At one he found nearby the gravesite of a driver he had known - with fresh flowers on it. He wondered in the article who, after all those years had enough love left to do that. A beautifully written sentiment.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 21:07 (Ref:461204)   #22
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My story will probably be the most boring.

My sister and boyfriend had come over and we wanted to know what was on tv. I turned it on and the 1995 Brazilian GP was about to start. We sat and watched and I have been hooked ever since.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 22:17 (Ref:461241)   #23
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
mr v, were you "multi-tasking" at the time?
yes he was.........he's told me aboout this , but i suppose i shouldnt say anymore !.

apart from , getting jiggy with it !

dirty bugger

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
but my "idealized" vision of seeing an F1 race means seeing it in Europe. Definitely not Bahrain!
John, if you ever come over to the UK , i would gladly meet up and buy you a few beers in one of the beer tents at the British Grnd Prix at Silverstone !..

Old 31 Dec 2002, 22:32 (Ref:461244)   #24
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You guys have been around awhile.
First race race: Hockenheim 2001. There was the new stadium section and a lot of talk of strategy. Then Montoya pitted in the lead, 7 secs, 10 secs, 13 secs Huh?, 16 secs whats going on?, and then the engine was cooked. I was really hoping he'd win.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 23:46 (Ref:461279)   #25
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno, it just happened. I'd always watched the Aus GP and Surfers Paradise race from about 1992 onwards, and then the ATCC. Sort of just fell into liking Formula 1, espeically during 1997/1998.