Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: Who is the best sportscar driver in the world?
J. J. Lehto 7 17.50%
Tom Kristensen 10 25.00%
Rinaldo Capello 0 0%
David Brabham 2 5.00%
Jan Magnussen 2 5.00%
Andy Wallace 6 15.00%
Bernd Schneider 2 5.00%
Allan McNish 5 12.50%
Christophe Bouchut 0 0%
Other 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 9 Feb 2003, 21:47 (Ref:501813)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Best sportscar driver in the world

Simple one - who is the best sportscar driver in the world? And I mean currently active (so you can't vote for Jacky Ickx).
Old 9 Feb 2003, 21:56 (Ref:501821)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Here we go again ! ! !

Sorry IMO it is still Andy Wallace. Why Bentley have dropped him is quite beyond me.........

Last edited by rdjones; 9 Feb 2003 at 21:57.
Old 9 Feb 2003, 22:17 (Ref:501839)   #3
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted for Andy as well
Old 9 Feb 2003, 22:22 (Ref:501844)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Although I voted for Schneider (quelle surprise enorme), I too wonder why Bentley dropped Andy Wallace. After all, he quit the Champion Audi squad last year to focus on Bentley; now he's left pedalling a Lola-MG for Dyson, which is fine, but I'd have put him in with Kristensen and Capello instead of Guy Smith.

But what do I know?
Old 10 Feb 2003, 00:29 (Ref:501957)   #5
E46
Veteran

Spain
Zaragoza, Reino de Aragón
E46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allan Mcnish I believe.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 00:45 (Ref:501962)   #6
Jack Man
Racer

Canada
Mississauga Ont Canada
Jack Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gotta vote for my old Hockey buddy Ron Fellows
Old 10 Feb 2003, 00:59 (Ref:501966)   #7
NGS
Rookie

NGS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always been a great fan of Jan Magnussen. Don't really know why, just always have.

Nigel Graham Schlemming
Old 10 Feb 2003, 01:09 (Ref:501972)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wHAT FANTASTIC DRIVERS you have chosen, but Butch "never gets a good ride" Lietzinger is one of the best i have seen-now in Trans-am the way he charges is unreal-race at longbeach 2002-ofcourse he stuffed it w/ 2 laps to go. He, that accident not withstanding, is a terriffic pilot. And what about Max Papis? or is he too CART bound...?
Old 10 Feb 2003, 02:36 (Ref:501996)   #9
Bob C.
Rookie

Bob C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My vote: J.J. Lehto single-handedly made the Cadillac competitive during the second half of 2002. I recall Mosport when he went toe-to-toe with the Audis early in the race. The other three Caddy pilots, all excellent in their own right, could never quite match that pace.

The vote I wish I could make: Given his F1 test contract for 2003, I can't see clear to vote for McNish. However, I witnessed something in 2000 that I'll never forget. At Sears Point, McNish was possessed, taking the pole by over 1/2 second and lapping the *entire* field in his double-stint to start the race. It was the single most amazing performance I've seen first-hand. ...even better than his triple (?) stint at dawn in the 2000 24 Hours of Le Mans.

The driver I wish was on the poll: Jan Lammers is consistently able to haunt the factory teams better than any other driver, IMHO. Put him in equal equipment, and I don't think there's a sportscar driver in the world who could catch him.

Some respect for the GT class: A group of us were standing in the pit garage of The Racer's Group in the dark hours of the morning at last year's Le Mans. Lucas Luhr was in the car, and we stared bleary eyed at the TV monitor. Luhr reeled off a 4:11, and we all looked at each other with eyebrows raised. He ran a 2nd 4:11 in a row. A third... By then, we were laughing. Each of those laps would have put him ahead of the 2nd fastest GT in qualifying.

FWIW, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Last edited by Bob C.; 10 Feb 2003 at 02:37.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 04:34 (Ref:502032)   #10
choked_wasp
Racer

choked_wasp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i voted for Mcnish.

Oliver Gavin is another driver who I consider to be one of the best.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 07:27 (Ref:502057)   #11
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I voted for JJ Lehto. I would have voted for McNish but he is not currently active in Sportscars. Hopefully he will return one day - IMO he should have opted for The Bentley Drive this year.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 08:14 (Ref:502072)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good list. I could have gone for 3-4 of those, but I have to plump for my old favourite, Andy Wallace. Give him a decent car and he will always shine.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 08:24 (Ref:502079)   #13
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I suppose after Daytona you could add Derek Bell to the list as he is now an 'active sportscar driver!'
Old 10 Feb 2003, 08:26 (Ref:502082)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yep, as long as he keeps taking the Phyllosan/Sennokot, I guess he's every chance of remaining active!
Old 10 Feb 2003, 11:14 (Ref:502181)   #15
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went for Tom Kristenson, David Brabham would be close as well
Old 10 Feb 2003, 13:08 (Ref:502295)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Personally, I wouldn't put Brabham in the same company with Tom, Andy and (probably) J.J. He still has things to prove, I feel. Lets hope he can deliver the goods in June.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 13:39 (Ref:502333)   #17
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Brabs has suffered from a less-than-competitive Panoz in recent years. But don't forget his absurdly heroic efforts in the Panoz coupe back in 1998, when he was paired with Eric Bernard, and remember how close the two came to winning the inaugural ALMS title. I think the guy's quality, and, like you, I wish him well at La Sarthe.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 13:54 (Ref:502360)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes, I certainly put my hands together for Brabham struggling for so many years with the recalcitrant Panoz, don't get me wrong. But he's still in my "b-list"
Old 10 Feb 2003, 14:04 (Ref:502373)   #19
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I think there's a name missing from the list above - All great drivers btw - The man I'd be tempted to give a vote for though is James Weaver.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 16:15 (Ref:502448)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A good list of stellar drivers from which to choose....

My vote as "Other" as a "Group Vote" for Weaver, Marc Goosens, Lammers, J. Herbert, Biela, Blundell, Boris Said, and J. Kane.....

There are so many solid active drivers that it is tough to pick one...all listed in the poll are top-flite as well....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 10 Feb 2003, 17:15 (Ref:502480)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also feel that Johnny Herbert is turning into a really good Sports Car driver aswell............
Old 10 Feb 2003, 17:35 (Ref:502500)   #22
bradenc
Racer

United Kingdom
cambridgeshire
bradenc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny Herbert would get a vote from me. God bless 'im!
Old 10 Feb 2003, 17:54 (Ref:502515)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For me it is between Lehto and Kristensen. JJ needs a better car to really prove it, but what he did in that Caddy was very impressive.

Kristensen is the man of the moment. How many more Le Mans can he win.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 18:05 (Ref:502524)   #24
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted for Mags, mainly becasue of soem of those very good performances last year in the panoz. Holding back the Audi's for lap after lap at Washington last year.
Old 10 Feb 2003, 23:26 (Ref:502858)   #25
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happenned to Mimmo Schiatarella?
Haven't seen anything of him for a while, he went well at Silverstone in 2000, and elsewhere i seem to remember