Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 1 Jul 2009, 16:28 (Ref:2494580)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moto GP Round 9 - Laguna Seca

Back to back race weekends! But that's not all, it's even a fly away race! Seriously, I have big respect for the Moto GP circus to head overseas in a matter of a few days. That has to be a strain.

All I can hope for is a repeat of last year's race, which was epic in every sense of the word. The finish lacked a bit maybe, but the battle Stoner and Rossi put on was mega. Everyone will be on the same tire this weekend, so we wont have a repeat of Michelin's pathetic attempt last year. And perhaps Lorenzo will make it past the first lap and we'll be treated to a three way battle. According to the forecast, temps will be around 70 degrees and sunny.

On a personal note, I am psyched. I will be there for the weekend, as this race is practically in my back yard. And for those that think the circuit is pants and not worthy of a championship round, go pound sand! Enjoy the race everyone!

Old 1 Jul 2009, 18:41 (Ref:2494653)   #2
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laguna Seca is on my list of tracks to go to before i die, i love it from wot i have have seen/played

i bet its roasting hot out there at the moment!!

Come on Rossi, keep it up boy, go easy thru the corkscrew!!
Old 1 Jul 2009, 20:25 (Ref:2494711)   #3
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who'll dare dance with the devil in the Corkscrew?
Old 1 Jul 2009, 23:19 (Ref:2494786)   #4
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
2000yellow360 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of my favorite tracks. One of the few times that I ever got into the top 10 at a National superbike race was there. Will be there also.

Art
Old 2 Jul 2009, 00:20 (Ref:2494808)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000yellow360 View Post
One of my favorite tracks. One of the few times that I ever got into the top 10 at a National superbike race was there. Will be there also.
I wont ever be racing there, but I will do a track day there soon. Hopefully this year or next. Gotta find a stock exhaust for my Suzuki though!
Old 2 Jul 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2494815)   #6
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I see that Takahashi is out.

Also, Kallio will not race and Pramac will run just one bike.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2494935)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does that mean 17 bikes?

Not one of my favorite tracks - corkscrew makes this track a little interesting IMO

Rossi will dominate...
Old 2 Jul 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2495063)   #8
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Does that mean 17 bikes?
Correct. Too bad Pramac couldn't pull in a replacement rider.
Old 2 Jul 2009, 16:06 (Ref:2495095)   #9
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
Correct. Too bad Pramac couldn't pull in a replacement rider.
If it wasn't a Ducati, they might have been able. That things a career breaker.
Old 3 Jul 2009, 07:03 (Ref:2495322)   #10
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A bit of fun from the Yamaha boys
Old 3 Jul 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2495398)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
It will probably be a 3 way race 2 Yams and a Duke, but although he will want to prove he can do it at his home GP I think we know who the Duke will be ridden by. Although Pedrosa has started to show again I don't know if he will live at the front for long this weekend.
With the ever diminishing field I wonder how long this series will last ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 4 Jul 2009, 07:58 (Ref:2495715)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As long as it is not as dull as last weekends race it must be w winner

Sadly I am not a fan of Laguna, at least not on "robot" bikes.

I have fond memories of watching the 2 strokes sliding down the hill after the Corkscrew and powering out of the last turn on slide thrittle

Watching thee things is starting to get a little dull
Old 5 Jul 2009, 10:48 (Ref:2496039)   #13
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nasty crash by Lorenzo after setting pole lap - heard he dislocated his shoulder

WTF is Elias doing on the 2nd row - contract time? Saying that, would be something to watch if he had the lead at turn 1 & had the elbows out...
Old 5 Jul 2009, 13:28 (Ref:2496104)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Agreed gomick. Although he was good on 250s he has nearly always been mid to end of the field in Moto GP except in Portugal 2006 where he beat Rossi by a gnats cock.
Just goes to show who gets the best set up on the day.
I wonder if it will be a repeat of last year although I don't know if Lorenzo is going to ride ?
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 5 Jul 2009, 15:25 (Ref:2496139)   #15
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
United States MotoGP qualifying result:

1. Jorge Lorenzo (Spain) Yamaha 1 minute 21.678 seconds
2. Valentino Rossi (Italy) Yamaha 1:21.845
3. Casey Stoner (Australia) Ducati 1:21.910
4. Dani Pedrosa (Spain) Honda 1:22.113
5. Andrea Dovizioso (Italy) Honda 1:22.135
6. Toni Elias (Spain) Honda 1:22.146
7. Colin Edwards (U.S.) Yamaha 1:22.490
8. Nicky Hayden (U.S.) Ducati 1:22.540
9. Chris Vermeulen (Australia) Suzuki 1:22.633
10. Loris Capirossi (Italy) Suzuki 1:22.662

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...es/8134782.stm

Looking at the first 3 spots it should be good if they all ride.
Old 5 Jul 2009, 15:43 (Ref:2496144)   #16
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better qualifying this time for Hayden.
Old 5 Jul 2009, 22:17 (Ref:2496286)   #17
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Well I knew Pedrobot could do it and this time he did, I really thought that Lorenzo was going to take his team mate out and he was very lucky to have finished.
It was good to see Hayden get a result at last but not before time.
It got a bit boring on the television but the end couple of laps woke me up.
I really think that when Rossi pulls out of Moto GP it will die on its feet with so few in it.
Old 5 Jul 2009, 22:18 (Ref:2496287)   #18
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
where did that came from ..
a few more laps and it could've improved a lot ..

Ciao Marco
Old 5 Jul 2009, 22:27 (Ref:2496292)   #19
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Dont think Moto GP will die when Rossi leaves, no one rider is ever bigger than the sport. There is a problem with grid #'s though...

Great ride by Pedrosa, didnt see that coming. Lorenzo must've had some good pain killers too - Ducati, Stoner, hmmm...
Old 6 Jul 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2496809)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sadly Rossi is almost bigger then the sport. And it is obvious to those that are in the know aswell.

He is a gigantic draw and crowds the world over would be smaller if he wasnt there.

He pulls in crowds anywhere, even in countries outside Europe and NO other rider has been able to do that in recent history apart from Schwantz.

The race was okay, Lorenzo deserved a win for that ride and Stoner is riding amazingly well considering he is throwing up in his lid for last quarter of the last 3 races.

Think he would be in there leading if it wasnt for this debilitating thing.

Toseland, embarrasing as usual and hayden was spot on, as usual
Old 6 Jul 2009, 20:28 (Ref:2496839)   #21
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
A very boring race. However, the crap almost hit the fan in the Superbike race later on. Apparently, they didn't get the pace car off the track before the start. People were very, very upset.

Art
Old 6 Jul 2009, 22:54 (Ref:2496932)   #22
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Sadly Rossi is almost bigger then the sport. And it is obvious to those that are in the know aswell.

He is a gigantic draw and crowds the world over would be smaller if he wasnt there.

He pulls in crowds anywhere, even in countries outside Europe and NO other rider has been able to do that in recent history apart from Schwantz.
So you think there will be no Moto GP when he retires & 100,00 spainiards wont turn up at Jerez - they did before Valentino raced... No doubt he draws a crowd, but, c'mon seriously
Old 7 Jul 2009, 14:53 (Ref:2497324)   #23
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Well I'm back from a nice four-day weekend. I had a great time at Laguna and spent some time along the coast as well. Took the family and had a very relaxing time indeed. The race certainly could have been better. In fact, it nearly was a cracker. Some thoughts:

I so enjoy seeing (well mostly hearing) these machines in person. Everyone should go when they have the chance. But this year I could clearly hear traction control being used all over the place.

Hayden in particular had his TC dialed WAY up. But I was proud of his ride on Sunday.

It is unreal to see (and hear) where these guys are whacking open the throttle when leaned over. My mind cannot quite comprehend it.

Me thinks Bridgestone may have needed a softer right side compound. Yikes, there were some moments in qualy!

Stoner is tough...

Pedrosa and Lorenzo to.

The crowd was good, but not huge.

Kawasaki, please give Marco Melandri some support.

Tony Elias seems to know that there is only one seat left at Gresini for next year...

Note to AMA, you couldn't run a mini-bike race for 10 year olds. That's not the way to run a race when the international press are in attendance.
Old 7 Jul 2009, 15:07 (Ref:2497330)   #24
2000yellow360
Racer

United States
California
I was there for just Sunday. Had a very good time, ran into a few old friends, Nixon and I compared the total amount of broken bones (he won), while I was chatting with Roberto Pietri (his kid will be going to Moto2 new year). The race wasn't much, but I did enjoy the people there.

Art
Old 7 Jul 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2497426)   #25
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
Hayden in particular had his TC dialed WAY up. But I was proud of his ride on Sunday.
His leathers weren't a real success (at least not on telly).

Quote:
The crowd was good, but not huge.
How come this thing isnt a sell out? Credit crunch?