Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Sep 2011, 12:48 (Ref:2962527)   #326
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed TV
“It’s kind of in the hands of the ACO. Are they serious about wanting a World Endurance Championship or do they just want an Audi-Peugeot demonstration show?” Hayden said. “Because it’s a big, big commitment for a private team and we need to have some results to show for that investment and that commitments.”
Hasn't that been the case for a number of years now?

Seriously, FOR ME a 2-car Rebellion effort would make the ALMS P1 class hell of a more interesting than the tidious dieselshow in WEC - even if they'd have just 3-5 opponents. And I would finally, finally, finally have a prototype team to root for in ALMS
Old 29 Sep 2011, 18:32 (Ref:2962632)   #327
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Hasn't that been the case for a number of years now?

Seriously, FOR ME a 2-car Rebellion effort would make the ALMS P1 class hell of a more interesting than the tidious dieselshow in WEC - even if they'd have just 3-5 opponents. And I would finally, finally, finally have a prototype team to root for in ALMS
as much as I would love to see huge grids in WEC, chances are it will be another peugeot-audi borefest, and it seems that the ACO is perfectly OK with that. Although i sorta hope that strakka can spoil the diesel party, maybe wirth r. ccould develop the car further? (afaik they werent THAT fast compared to the newer diesels)

It would be great to see some battles in p1 class next year in ALMS. Also, its a damn shame that the alms and lms have no common rounds with the WEC - that way the grid counts would be higher, and many teams would race for LMS/ALMS points and not overall victory which they cant achieve when racing against the diesels.

Oh, and i really hope that more teams will want to buy the new hpd after its sebring success. That car looks bloody awesome! imho.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2962637)   #328
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
Nissan North America will not spend a dime..
There is a significant cadre of anti motorsport individuals at Nissan HQ in Tennessee. Unfortunately for them as I think they are missing out.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 20:38 (Ref:2962692)   #329
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
DSC's free this weekend, Lunchtime Paddock Notes.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/viewAr...052351DC295C19
Old 29 Sep 2011, 22:30 (Ref:2962738)   #330
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Not if their looking for a good result . AMR should lend them a couple of drivers .
I don't think they can do that. The ILMC factory Aston car has pay drivers in it. I don't think they want Aston bolstering up another team's efforts for free when they are paying good money to try to get the best effort they can.

As for OAK, Rebellion, and the others, well, I guess the saying "if you ain't crying, you ain't trying" is true. Still, they need to realize that asking to strip away performance from the factory teams is wrong. I think Hayden gets it and I can't blame him for trying, but I hope the ACO does not buy into their mercy calls. Racing in the ALMS would be a great alternative IMO and they could very well win the championship there. Of course, they might complain that the non-legal Dyson and grandfathered Aston(s) are getting too much of an advantage!
Old 29 Sep 2011, 23:26 (Ref:2962764)   #331
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Not if their looking for a good result . AMR should lend them a couple of drivers .
Greg's not driving because they need more drivers. They could happily get by with Graf and Luhr and would have done just that if Greg didn't feel he was fit enough after trying a stint in the car. He's driving because it's his very expensive toy and he wants to enjoy it.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 00:48 (Ref:2962782)   #332
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
I think Hayden gets it
Print Autosport: "The WEC is a big commitment and we know we will play second fiddle to the diesels, but we don’t want to be in a secondary class."
Old 30 Sep 2011, 04:15 (Ref:2962796)   #333
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did anyone read the second part of the Chief Tucker of Leavenworth investigation article that was posted yesterday?

Quote:
Scott Tucker’s life is both a rags-to-riches and get-rich-quick story. He grew up in the Kansas City area, graduating from a Jesuit high school and attending Kansas State University for two years, where he studied business administration. Tucker has a criminal past. In April 1988, at the age of 26, he borrowed $50,000 from American Bank of Kansas City, offering a new Porsche as collateral. Court records show that Tucker lied on the application; he had sold the sports car months earlier.

A year later, Tucker wrote a bad check for $1,200 to a moving company hired to transfer two loads of used furniture for a business, according to court records.

In the meantime, Tucker participated in a bogus loan scheme to bilk money out of businesses, court records reveal. While a partner in Oregon ran newspaper and magazine ads throughout the country offering commercial loans, Tucker posed as the president of a seemingly high-powered investment bank in Overland Park called Chase, Morgan, Stearns & Lloyd. The operation was a fraud, collecting more than $100,000 in “advance fees” from at least 15 borrowers without providing any loans.

Tucker ultimately pleaded guilty in federal court to two felony charges of mail fraud and making a false statement to a bank. A Missouri state judge found him guilty of a felony charge of passing a bad check. He was sentenced for all three crimes to serve a year in Leavenworth federal penitentiary, followed by three years of probation. He got out of prison on June 8, 1992.
Chase, Morgan, Stearns & Lloyd? Seriously? That's the name he came up with? I wonder why he did not name his racing team Penske, Ganassi, Hendrick, & Roush Motorsports. Maybe he could have fooled a sponsor or two!
Old 30 Sep 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2963005)   #334
profec291
Rookie

United States
San Leandro, CA
profec291 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like the ALMS will return to Laguna Seca in May 11 & 12,2012...
Old 30 Sep 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2963009)   #335
AGD
Veteran

So here is the full schedule and other State of the Series notes. It looks like live TV will return for a few races in 2012.

http://www.americanlemans.com/primar...cat=news|16339

Any guesses for the TBDs?

EDIT: Also worth noting, the classes will remain the same as 2011 and grandfathering 2010 LMP1 cars will continue.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2963027)   #336
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2 more rounds than 2011 - I like that for sure.

TBDs...hmm. I'd like to say Watkins and Sears Point, but that's basically wishful thinking.

I do have to wonder if it's enough. A couple more rounds and otherwise more or less status quo. Also, any word on whether or not Petit is a round of the WEC? I didn't pick that up anywhere
Old 30 Sep 2011, 17:47 (Ref:2963030)   #337
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Did anyone read the second part of the Chief Tucker of Leavenworth investigation article that was posted yesterday?

Chase, Morgan, Stearns & Lloyd? Seriously? That's the name he came up with? I wonder why he did not name his racing team Penske, Ganassi, Hendrick, & Roush Motorsports. Maybe he could have fooled a sponsor or two!
Why aren't more people talking about this story? This guy seems to be a criminal...shocking.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2963031)   #338
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
2 more rounds than 2011 - I like that for sure.

TBDs...hmm. I'd like to say Watkins and Sears Point, but that's basically wishful thinking.

I do have to wonder if it's enough. A couple more rounds and otherwise more or less status quo. Also, any word on whether or not Petit is a round of the WEC? I didn't pick that up anywhere
Watkins Glen definitely would not happen. Sears Point could be a possibility, but I don't know. Maybe they are waiting for the IRL to finalize some deals? What rumors are out there?

As for Petit, there is no word on if it will or won't be part of the WEC. It's possible that a decision has not been made yet. It would seem from all the rumors that Petit is, at best, on the "reserve list" if other preferred markets can't be signed.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2963032)   #339
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yay. New ACO deal, one unified GT class continues and expanded calendar for the first time in a number of years (plus more rounds between LB and LM). Really digging it!

I hope Miller isn't making it's comeback to that May/June Date, but if we are talking about semi-realistic guesses I'd say that comeback of Detroit could be in the cards. Personally I would love to see Barber and Sears Point (old layout)

Quote:
As for Petit, there is no word on if it will or won't be part of the WEC. It's possible that a decision has not been made yet. It would seem from all the rumors that Petit is, at best, on the "reserve list" if other preferred markets can't be signed.
Just like last year...
Old 30 Sep 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2963033)   #340
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to see Portland back.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2963034)   #341
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
Why aren't more people talking about this story? This guy seems to be a criminal...shocking.
Probably because so called respectable financial institutions have screwed over countries and lost people their homes and business', the activities of a rich bloke who races cars ranks somewhere below 'couldn't give a ****'
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2963038)   #342
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So Detroit is May/June, but then again the date there seems to be June 3, and the Grand-Am community seems to think they have an in on that race. The fact that ALMS put May/June on their calendar might mean they're covering their ass should they not get Detroit, then I imagine it is back to Miller!

As far as the September date, I honestly don't know what that will be. I've forgotten whatever rumors were being tossed around on account of I've been thinking more about the death of IMSA than the ALMS calendar.

Chris
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:00 (Ref:2963039)   #343
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Probably because so called respectable financial institutions have screwed over countries and lost people their homes and business', the activities of a rich bloke who races cars ranks somewhere below 'couldn't give a ****'
While that may be true for the general public, I think people in a motorsports forum should care.

I for one surely won't cheer for a team that seems to be build on the misfortune of others.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:01 (Ref:2963040)   #344
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
It's a good question. Maybe American sports car fans are just so used to having criminals involved in this sport. Also, the Level 5 team is a very likable team aside from Tucker. Maybe people are covering their ears so they can continue to support the team without guilt.

But, yeah, given IMSA's history, it is a legitimate question. Should IMSA take action against shady owners? If they did, there many not be many teams left!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I hope Miller isn't making it's comeback to that May/June Date, but if we are talking about semi-realistic guesses I'd say that comeback of Detroit could be in the cards. Personally I would love to see Barber and Sears Point (old layout)
It seems like Belle Isle slipped my mind! Yes, that is a good guess for the late TBD date I would think. Of course, that race may not happen, so I don't know if there is a backup plan if that is the planned venue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
I would love to see Portland back.
That would be great as well. Speaking of the Pacific coast, I see that Long Beach is back. There were some early rumors it would not be on the schedule for 2012.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2963042)   #345
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Another question is, who does bring in the Microsoft sponsorship and are they happy about being associated with such a shady outfit?
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2963044)   #346
Deleted
Veteran

The problem with that June 2 Detroit date (not 3rd, 'cause Indy always races on sundays) is that the Le Mans test day will be held on the same exact weekend...
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2963046)   #347
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Another question is, who does bring in the Microsoft sponsorship and are they happy about being associated with such a shady outfit?
It's hard to say, but I doubt Microsoft is paying Level 5 any significant amount of money. The story has received quite a bit of publicity and I'm sure Level 5's sponsors are concerned, but the team is Tucker's hobby and it appears that it is mainly funded by him so I guess it does not really matter what other people think unless he gets arrested again or something.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2963049)   #348
Bob Riebe
Veteran

Bob Riebe User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
deleted

Last edited by Bob Riebe; 30 Sep 2011 at 18:24.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2963050)   #349
Deleted
Veteran

The other good news is that now there's a three week gap between the rumoured WEC race @ Fuji and Petit Le Mans. Meaning that there is still hope...
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:23 (Ref:2963055)   #350
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Riebe View Post
When the U.S. Attorney General does this, Mr. Tucker's "law breaking" is a zit on a gnats buttocks.

Eric Holder who has been appointed by Obama as Attorney General to head the Justice Department.
He was the lawyer who got the largest tax dodger of all time, Marc Rich, a pardon from President Clinton.

In 1983, Rich was indicted in the U.S. on charges of evading more than $48 million in taxes, and charged with 51 counts of tax fraud, as well as running illegal oil deals with Iran during the 1979-1980 hostage crisis.

To avoid taxes, Rich fled to Switzerland, and renounced his U.S. citizenship. He now holds Spanish and Israeli passports.
By the time Eric Holder got Marc Rich his pardon, Rich’s tax bill had risen to $100 million – taxes which Marc Rich, will never have to pay.

That is why this is a non-story few have ever heard of.
Wasn't slick Rick Hendrick pardoned too? There's another frauding former IMSA owner too. Obviously, his team has legions of fans. Then again, his form of fraud (bribing Honda wasn't it?) may be viewed as being less disgraceful than what Tucker has done and is accused of doing.

Anyway, Tucker's case may be small compared to everyone else, but it is a pretty big deal within the racing circles.

Also, I wonder if Tucker hung out with Randy Lanier and John Paul at Leavenworth. I'm not sure where the Whittingtons served their time, but maybe they were there too. Anyway, Tucker seems to be much more refined with his scamming now than he was before Leavenworth. I wonder if he learned his tricks there.