Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:00 (Ref:360981)   #1
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
You want a WHAT???

At meetings like the F3/GT at Oulton this weekend, we expect a big, glossy programme, don't we? Imagine our surprise when, at sign on, we were presented with an eight-page, A5-sized 'race card'. Round 1 to the organisers - marshals disgruntled before breakfast!

Lunch was scheduled for 12:20 - 13:00. Things were running a little bit late, but it looked as though we would be clear by 12:30. Then we heard over the radio: 'After the course car has been round, three TVRs & a Caterham camera car will be doing a lap of the circuit. Marshals must not be stood down until this has been done.' So, our lunch break started at 12:40......back on post at 12:50......round 2 to the organisers!

Mid-afternoon Margaret Simpson, the chief marshal, did her customary visit to all the posts (why don't all chief marshals do this?) & told me I'd won a raffle prize......a programme! She was rather apologetic about this, but explained that she'd been & asked the organisers for a programme as a raffle prize just to make a point, & that she was hoping to get programmes for all marshals on Sunday. Sunday morning, everybody got a programme. Nice one, Margaret!

......and I'm not even going to mention F3 driving standards!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:16 (Ref:360993)   #2
flaggie1
Racer

flaggie1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a club meet at the Island with Hot Track Holloway in charge. Victorian users will know who i'm talking about.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 09:28 (Ref:361005)   #3
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...ahh, but the best bit about the programme fiasco is that it's the same programme that has been used for the TOCA meetings... So they're only about 6 months old, and we've all probably got 4 copies already. Grrr...
Old 19 Aug 2002, 10:19 (Ref:361047)   #4
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look on the bright side - at least with the race card there was less paper to get wet....
Old 19 Aug 2002, 10:46 (Ref:361071)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulPerkins
...ahh, but the best bit about the programme fiasco is that it's the same programme that has been used for the TOCA meetings... So they're only about 6 months old, and we've all probably got 4 copies already. Grrr...
It's not the same as the one I've got from the Oulton TOCA meeting - that covers exclusively the classes racing in the TOCA package. This weekend's is very much an Octagon propaganda sheet......looks like it was produced by the same people who do airline inflight magazines, & just about as interesting; the point, however, is that by not giving marshals a copy, the message that came across is that we don't matter.
Old 19 Aug 2002, 10:49 (Ref:361074)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Flagman
Look on the bright side - at least with the race card there was less paper to get wet....
.....and it's the right size to fit in the pocket on the knee of my overalls!
Old 19 Aug 2002, 10:50 (Ref:361077)   #7
hoonboyz
Racer

hoonboyz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i'll be very interested to see what us Aussie Marshal's get at the Qld 500 (V8supercars) next month , to my knowledge its the only V8 event Octagon does in Australia
Old 19 Aug 2002, 21:26 (Ref:361617)   #8
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: You want a WHAT???

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brand
Mid-afternoon Margaret Simpson, the chief marshal, did her customary visit to all the posts (why don't all chief marshals do this?) ...
Alec Spooner (BRSCC) does at Brands Hatch, and the other chiefs if they haven't been roped in to help man a post due to lack of numbers.
Old 20 Aug 2002, 08:35 (Ref:361889)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Re: Re: You want a WHAT???

Quote:
Originally posted by TwoSheds

Alec Spooner (BRSCC) does at Brands Hatch, and the other chiefs if they haven't been roped in to help man a post due to lack of numbers.
My remark was a little bit tongue in cheek......
Old 5 Sep 2002, 08:54 (Ref:373592)   #10
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now I know where all the spare programmes go. Last Sunday I stopped at the marshals' stand at the BSB meeting at Oulton Park and saw a pile of the F3/GT gold dust programmes which were being given out to people who stopped, to inquire about marshalling, at the stand. I believe that they had quite a few people who showed interest in marshalling and look forward to seeing them at the next bike meeeting at Oulton.